• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements you want to see in Metal Gear Solid 3 remake?

VulcanRaven

What you want to see added for the remake? I think the screenshots look great visually but the level design seems to be exactly the same as before. They are remastering the original game too so I think they should make more changes. It should be different. They should make the jungle enviroments larger and add more guards.

Would be great to explore the whole Groznyj Grad and with no loading screens between the areas. There are areas you can't go to. The game doesn't need to be open-world like MGSV but they could make this part of the game like it.

1a2hnjzl1nb21.png

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
more open world.
more unlocks.
day night cycle.
real time random events maybe?

Basically im hoping it to play like MGS V but of course in a smaller scale.

But this was made by virtours and kojima not involved, so i keep my expectation in check.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's been a very long time, but I remember constantly going into menus to change camo to get the value up.

Less of that, please. Let me assign automatic camos based on environments, thanks.

VulcanRaven

It's been a very long time, but I remember constantly going into menus to change camo to get the value up.

Less of that, please. Let me assign automatic camos based on environments, thanks.
OctoCamo suit in MGS4 is like that so I don't think they should bring that mechanic to this game. It wouldn't make sense storywise.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
OctoCamo suit in MGS4 is like that so I don't think they should bring that mechanic to this game. It wouldn't make sense storywise.

Don't need it to be octocamo, don't need it to affect the story. I just remember the constant switching to be a chore.

RaduN

1. Camo change mechanic could be improved.
2. Add ground roll and crouch walk (well, a similar slow walk was kinda there anyway), but keep the option to switch between perspectives.
3. Nothing else, especially in the narrative. Leave it all intact, which reportedly they will.

R6Rider

Gold Member
They're not going to do complete gameplay changes lol

Improved controls would be nice. Maybe revamped UI and menu. Reduced/removed loading between areas.

VulcanRaven

Don't need it to be octocamo, don't need it to affect the story. I just remember the constant switching to be a chore.
I'm not sure if switching camos during gameplay would be fun. Maybe you could choose few for a quick menu but you would still have to go the normal menu often because there are just so many.

MGS3 is one of the few games that could do well by becoming more open world/survival. It was ahead of its time.

Sneaking and surviving in between bases and objectives, avoiding/fightng/ambushing kill teams that are hunting you down, dealing with patrols and stealing resources from them, etc. Survival type objectives like health, h2o, etc. Maybe even sleep could be really interesting, having to find a place where you wont be found and making sure you dont leave any tracks. Heat and Cold, etc.

To reiterate, MGS3 was REALLY ahead of its time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Need to know first if its an overhauled reaimgining like RE2/3 or straight remake like RE1 remake.

1:1 remake with maxed out visuals and quality of life improvements is what I would like.

Edit: One of the upgrades i would like to see is a seemless world. Haven't played the original in a really long time but I don't think we need loading between sections of the world.

Last edited:
Less menu surfing of tending wounds - Make it real time and that you don't have to do it with every bullet that scratch you.

Modern controls - L2 for aiming and R2 for shooting. This is pretty much a given. Well you would think so.

No reloading between levels. Make it like the modern God of War.

Streamlined and real time camo change.

Russian speaking soldiers like in MGSV.

clarky

Gold Member
They're not going to do complete gameplay changes lol

Improved controls would be nice. Maybe revamped UI and menu. Reduced/removed loading between areas.
This. controls that dont require your brain to be rewired would be nice. My biggest beef with Japanese games the controls fucking suck. Yes im looking at you TOTK.

mortal

Gold Member
Seamless, dense jungle.
More wildlife AI, both prey and predator.
Realtime weather and a day-night cycle. A dark rainy jungle would be sick to sneak around in.
True darkness at night, plus in-game light sources can be destroyed for more cover.
Being able to set more environmental traps using the jungle, John Rambo style.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Seamless, dense jungle.
More wildlife AI, both prey and predator.
Realtime weather and a day-night cycle. A dark rainy jungle would be sick to sneak around in.
True darkness at night, plus in-game light sources can be destroyed for more cover.
Being able to set more environmental traps using the jungle, John Rambo style.
So a completely different game then?

mortal

Gold Member
So a completely different game then?
Well, it’s supposed to be a remake, and remakes allow for opportunities to reenvision the game design.
Besides, what would be the point of releasing the same exact game with a simple facelift, in addition to the new MGS3 port?

VulcanRaven

The level design seems to be exactly the same:
Metal-Gear-Solid-3-Snake-Eater-Remake-screenshots-6.jpg

That edge doesn't look very good. New players might not like the corridor like jungle levels.

Last edited:

Soodanim

MGS GZ/V gameplay - fuckin' copy & paste it, I don't care, it's the best MGS gameplay ever. The rest is already there it looks like:

This is it. That's all it needs to be to make the best MGS of all time: the best game mixed with the best gameplay mechanics. The rest is just QOL and ironing out the kinks.

I also think Hayter should be there.

Yoboman

Mostly the same but I would

1) Remove all loading screens
2) Significantly expand some of the boss fight areas: particularly the End and the Fear. Not changing anything about how they play but these bosses would be well suited to an expanded open environment
3) Maybe just more secret alcoves and hidden areas with Easter eggs for those searching
4) Add in more codec calls related to those Easter eggs, nothing that really changes the story
5) Make the Sorrow fight more interesting. Conceptually it's cool but feel like you could do more here
6) All mechanics based on MGS5
7) Injury management, codecs and camouflage to be done in gameplay menus
8) Add a giant crab battle
9) Make The Ladder even longer

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I think it would be a bit pointless remake then. You could play the remaster.
I honestly struggle to think of the things from the original that could benefit from some improvements. The only change that I would personally welcome is a different control scheme that's more in line with MGSV's scheme and gameplay. Maybe they could also add some AI improvements and new gimmicks to enemy behavior in order to bring the challenge to a new level and make the gameplay feel more believable. Those old games could really surprise you sometimes by having the AI do certain things that you've never seen in any other game at the time, so if they would take that design philosophy and simply bring it to a whole new level - fantastic.

But as far as the story, boss encounters, cutscenes, specific sections of the game - everything was pretty much perfect in the original. Like, for comparison, RE4 remake made a smart choice of trimming the final act of the game because that section in the original was very commonly criticized for ruining the game's overall pacing. But I can't recall any sections in MGS 3 that would be an equivalent to that and should be changed.

9) Make The Ladder even longer
Also this. Please, do that.

Last edited:

Doczu

Mostly the same but I would

1) Remove all loading screens
2) Significantly expand some of the boss fight areas: particularly the End and the Fear. Not changing anything about how they play but these bosses would be well suited to an expanded open environment
3) Maybe just more secret alcoves and hidden areas with Easter eggs for those searching
4) Add in more codec calls related to those Easter eggs, nothing that really changes the story
5) Make the Sorrow fight more interesting. Conceptually it's cool but feel like you could do more here
6) All mechanics based on MGS5
7) Injury management, codecs and camouflage to be done in gameplay menus
8a) It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIDE RAACER!
8c) 599 US dollars

Personally I was hoping they would re-imagine the story a little but the official website says "same gripping story"

Note: mgs3 story is amazing. One of the best ever in a video game but if you are offering the original remastered, then shortly after the remake, shouldn't the remake set up something different. Shouldn't it be a slightly different take?

Like when it comes to the mgs movie (if it ever gets released) they will tweak the story a little.

I dunno. Maybe I am rambling. Just wouldn't mind having the OG mgs games being what they are and the remake offers something differently.

SJRB

Gold Member
I really hope it's not a 1:1 adaptation when it comes to game areas. Make them twice as big, or bigger even. With more patrols and more gameplay possibilities. No more going into pause menus to change camouflage, either. And just remove the backpack system. Don't make sneaking a massive stamina drain that moves barely faster than a regularly walking enemy.

It would be neat if they took some basic control and gameplay mechanics from Phantom Pain.

EekTheKat

CQC disarm - IIRC it was in 4 but not in 3.

I want to see the things removed from the demo - IIRC if you shoot a guard in the legs and then knocked him out, when he wakes up he'll fall down again. He'll then bandage himself up before getting back up.

I want to see more guard behaviors and interactions. That was a good part of the fun on all the Metal Gear games.

FrankWza

It would be neat if they took some basic control and gameplay mechanics from Phantom Pain
This would probably require a big overhaul so your other points would be necessary. Like bigger areas. I feel like TPP controls on SE maps would be way too OP

Top Bottom