• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What internet browser/search engine do you use and will you change?

What browser/search engine do you use and will you change? (multi choice)

• Total voters

Ar¢tos

What do you mean? I haven't had any problems with Firefox. What's great about Kiwi? I've never heard of it.
Mobile version, not pc. Half of the settings are gone (no advanced mode), no option to have bookmarks show as starting page and other minor things.
On pc I still use Firefox, but I rarely turn my pc on.
I never heard of Kiwi before too, but of all the ones I tried to replace Firefox, this was the only one that kept page size ratio when rotating screen on pages with embed videos.

Mobile version, not pc. Half of the settings are gone (no advanced mode), no option to have bookmarks show as starting page and other minor things.
On pc I still use Firefox, but I rarely turn my pc on.
I never heard of Kiwi before too, but of all the ones I tried to replace Firefox, this was the only one that kept page size ratio when rotating screen on pages with embed videos.
Ah, OK. (y)

Elcid

Banned
I use Opera GX. Best browser I've ever used. Super fast, has a built in VPN, CPU and RAM limiter, awesome colors, Whatsapp, Discord, Instagram, etc. all built into it. You'd have to have a browser with more bells and whistles for me to switch.

Mahadev

Chrome, Edge and Opera are spyware, the 2 first American spyware the last one Chinese. Only use them if you don't care about your privacy.

I use Opera GX. Best browser I've ever used. Super fast, has a built in VPN, CPU and RAM limiter, awesome colors, Whatsapp, Discord, Instagram, etc. all built into it. You'd have to have a browser with more bells and whistles for me to switch.
Remember, if something is free, YOU are the product! Don't EVER use a free-VPN, especially from a web browser company.. You are literally giving them a direct connection into your web browser traffic, for them to scrap data from and sell to advertisers.

Brave will be #1 soon enough

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Chromium based Edge, not Edge the reader. That’s my go to when Chrome takes a massive dump on me. Outside of that I enjoy Internet Explorer. IE11 is fantastic. There’s so many different Internet Options to go through. I also think it works better because it supports Java, Flash (built-in) and Silverlight. If you can’t manage a console with Chrome then IE is your best friend.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Chromium based Edge, not Edge the reader. That’s my go to when Chrome takes a massive dump on me. Outside of that I enjoy Internet Explorer. IE11 is fantastic. There’s so many different Internet Options to go through. I also think it works better because it supports Java, Flash (built-in) and Silverlight. If you can’t manage a console with Chrome then IE is your best friend.

IziOOzM.png

Elcid

Banned
Chrome, Edge and Opera are spyware, the 2 first American spyware the last one Chinese. Only use them if you don't care about your privacy.
Remember, if something is free, YOU are the product! Don't EVER use a free-VPN, especially from a web browser company.. You are literally giving them a direct connection into your web browser traffic, for them to scrap data from and sell to advertisers.

I trust China more than I trust our government. They can have my data and know what sexual fetishes are.

thief183

After I tried Edge Chromium I didn't switch back to firefox, it is really fast, didn't expect it to be this reliable too.

Chrome is just a joke nowdays.

and Yes both are spywere, but Brave have too many limitations to make it usable for everyday.

Duckduckgo also is awesome but it lacks some support for Italy (if you search in english is perfect)

Mahadev

I trust China more than I trust our government. They can have my data and know what sexual fetishes are.

You might regret thinking like that in a couple of decades if China become THE world superpower. These totalitarian fuckers aren't kidding around when it comes to thought-crime and whatever you said or implied on the internet could be used against you because I can assure you that info never goes away. Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't trust the US government or mega-corps like Google either but be careful about letting your guard down when it comes to China.

What about Firefox and Vivaldi?

Isn't Flash riddled with security flaws? It's practically dead now, anyway. Everyone's using HTML5 these days.

May I know what your sexual fetishes are? :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Sign

Switched to brave sometime ago, and it works fine. Search engine is less consistent. I use a little of everything, but google.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Isn't Flash riddled with security flaws? It's practically dead now, anyway. Everyone's using HTML5 these days.

Not all corporations utilize new technologies. A company makes a website or a program and they never update it. It’s practically impossible on some browsers unless you enable Java/Flash. Enabling Flash on Chrome can be a pain because you can’t have the setting stay that way when you close down your browser. You’d be surprised by how old some programs are. They’ll sell it as an updated version, but it’s really an old program with a new name attached to it.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I have to say I am getting more and more disappointed with duckduckgo's search results. Usually I don't find what I'm looking for based on the first search results and it's even worse with the local searches. 7-8 out of 10 times I'm looking for something pretty specific and as much as I hate Google's practices they deliver almost every time.

As for the browser I'm sticking with Firefox, but with their recent focus on social issues instead of improving the browser I am not expecting to stay with it forever.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I know Google Chrome + Search will win hands down but still gonna ask. I just ditched Chrome for Edge and have been trying to get used to Duckduckgo. I think the results are good and it's easy to have it use google with the "!g" command. Edge browser hasn't got all the features of Chrome and it ain't as polished (heh) but i don't think I'm gonna go back. I tried Firefox on desktop but the android version sucks and syncing is hit or miss.
Opera in Developer mode. Why? Free ad -blockers (although I enable are for NeoGAF) and better for tier organizing my sites. Search...Yahoo. That's all I use with Yahoo. Someday I'll give Chrome a chance but I hate Explorer and Edge.

Will I change? I did...7-years ago from FireFox. Started using Explorer in the 90's, moved to NetScape in 2000-2003, stayed with FireFox from 2004-2013. FireFox ran a new version around that time which prompted me to try something different. Switched the Opera and have been using it from 2013-present.

Last edited:

Mithos

Firefox 80+ / Google.

And in the rare cases I need to visit a non English site, I boot Edge (Chrome before Edge started using chromium) to get that browser language translation without a plugin/addon that almost never works anyways.

I have actually never heard of Vivaldi, but I will check that out!

As for Firefox, the creator of Brave are some of the founding creators of Mozilla! Both are open-source projects, but Firefox is a non-profit that makes majority of its money via Google, by using it as the default search engine and google gives them a cut for this. Brave on the other hand makes profits from other revenues such as selling basic attention token

Breakage

Typical, but signing in doesn't matter as you are still trackable via "browser fingerprinting". Try looking into browsers that don't use passive tracking like browser fingerprinting;

Brave Browser *cough cough*
I know I'm still gonna be tracked, but I do what I can to reduce the amount of data collection. It's unavoidable if you're using any modern android device. Google hoovers it all up.

Pejo

Just wanted to thank this thread for recommending Brave. It's been a seamless transition off of Chrome for my personal PC. Fast, more secure, just great in general. I've also been trying to use duckduckgo more, but it's just not quite there yet with search algorithms.

SaniOYOYOY

ddg and brave
light , not censored , and no more instagram ads based on what my browsing histories are

Last edited:
I know I'm still gonna be tracked, but I do what I can to reduce the amount of data collection. It's unavoidable if you're using any modern android device. Google hoovers it all up.
I would have to disagree, at least with modern android you can actually root your phone and install a custom, open-source operating system. Cut ties from Google as much as possible, but dang that search engine is too good to give up :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Phones are definitely our most vulnerable point, but having an android phone running something like "LineageOS" is MUCH better than the original OS that comes on our smartphones. This is a heavily audited and community driven smartphone operating system!

Top Bottom