• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is GAF’s opinion of groups like Creep Catchers, POP Squad, etc.

Mondai

Gold Member
I know most people would say “if you criticize groups like these, you must be a predator” blah blah , but I’m genuinely curious what people here will say . I’m all in for calling out creeps like that and shaming them , but only as long as you have really good evidence of it.

I’m making those topic mostly due to this:

Group attacked two innocent gay men with homophobic slurs and such and it ended up they were innocent , and what do they get , “oh we are sorry”, I find that ridiculous , getting falsely accused of doing something like this has bad repercussions, it still ruins lives and an “I’m sorry” is not good enough to make up for all the shot they put those men through.

I’ll end with this, I agree that creeps like those deserve to be called out on it , but most of these predator groups don’t seem genuine to me (it’s more like most of them do it to get recognition for themselves and their websites more than to really help people) and most of them are not professional about it when it comes to getting evidence (their capture/conviction rates are really bad).

Tesseract

Banned
'the snitches get stitches' types can suck my dick

if yer hurting someone, you deserve to be probed and prodded a bit by whatever powers the alphabets are allotted

evidence matters tho, you either have something tangible or you have unsubstantiated garbage

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm pretty much against all min justice, from the get racists fired, through the "we have identified the terrorist" Reddit 'investigations', and all the way to these catch a predator knock-offs. With oversight the judicial system can do a lot of damage to innocent people, without oversight these groups are outright dangerous.

brap

Banned
I thought these were about new funko pops and halloween toys. Did anybody else have Creep Catchers toys as a kid?

These guys always seem like pedos to me. Like the politicians that say they hate gays a lot then get caught sucking dick. I mean what reasons do they have to do this shit?

Mondai

Gold Member
I thought these were about new funko pops and halloween toys. Did anybody else have Creep Catchers toys as a kid?

These guys always seem like pedos to me. Like the politicians that say they hate gays a lot then get caught sucking dick. I mean what reasons do they have to do this shit?
"To protect children everywhere" ?

John Day

Mob justice isn't justice. Even the most righteous causes will be coopted, because the power to condemn attracts the sort of scumbags who want to bend that power to their own whims.

My feelings exactly. For a lot of these social “ails”, the message gets lost when the mob mentality kicks in.

This is how we got to the #MeToo movement.

The legit way that people catch predators is pretending to be a kid online and asking to meet up which is usually evidence enough although it isn't 100% accurate. (Factor in metally disabled people who genuinely want friends regardless of age and stuff).

Proper evidence is always needed for these stings.

Mondai

Gold Member
People like this suck though, completely unprofessional and stupid. As much as I agree that people doing this on their own only causes trouble for real investigators, this is clearly not the way to do anything:

Top Bottom