• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is going on with the grunts in Halo Infinite

Bragr

Banned
The grunts have always had this banter going on, but in Halo Infinite they are going pretty far with it. They sound like the muppets, it's like comedy hour. They are two steps away from wearing funny masks and bunny ears. I get that some find this funny, but it really takes me out of the game. It's like they aren't part of the Halo lore anymore but instead have become this gag they push in your face at every turn.

"I hope the human afterlife sucks"

"You ever wonder what a shaved Brute looks like? Not until I mentioned it, right? Try and get that image out of your heads, humans!"

"Look, I don't know who moved this big old death hoop, but if you could please put it back where it belongs, that would be great. I can't order deliveries from premium gas vendors if I don't know my own friggin' address! What the heck am I supposed to tell them? I live "somewhere"?

tmlDan

i found it super annoying and brought me out of the world, but im also in the camp that the campaign was a huge disappointment and i still don't know why it took so long to make a campaign so simple and generic.

I know im prob in the minority though, most would say it adds to the lore and a stepping stone into reinvigorating Halo again.

I really hope they bring the themes together better, it seemed like the main story was super serious and the opposition were clowns

TexMex

I agree. It went from a subtle, amusing thing to constant and honestly a little grating. Nothing to take away from the game obviously.

Bragr

Banned
If you hate the grunts you have no soul.
To me, it's like if the clickers in The Last of Us would dance the polka and sing Adele songs. It's funny sure, but it's so weird. I feel like in Bungie Halo, at least they tried to make it unintentionally funny, but in Infinite, it's written like stand-up humor and it's everywhere. They even have those broadcast towers that are basically stand-up comedy towers. It's so weird.

There is also something strange about aliens having the personality of humans, this has always been weird in Halo, but these grunts, they have meme-humor. I guess they have tiktok in the Banished HQ.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's OK, I think your overthinking it. I barely even heard anything from them.was too busy fighting and moving forward.

NinjaBoiX

To me, it's like if the clickers in The Last of Us would dance the polka and sing Adele songs. It's funny sure, but it's so weird.
It’s really not, that’s a poor comparison. TLOU is a super serious drama, Halo has always been kind of goofy.

I think Bungie took it all far too seriously, the story was so pompous and dull in the originals. It’s a much more fun game nowadays.

It was always silly to me ,doesn’t johnson put his hand on the elites ass In the original halo.
mt-fMG.gif

Complistic

The grunts are perfectly fine. They have always been the comic relief of the series. If you need a lore reason for why they're a little more unhinged now, these grunts aren't part of the covenant, so they're likely given a good bit more freedom than the ones we've seen up until now.

LordOfChaos

Joseph Staten having fun and maybe roasting some types of fans lol

It's weird in-universe but Halo games from the start were a mix of serious and comedic

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It’s really not, that’s a poor comparison. TLOU is a super serious drama, Halo has always been kind of goofy.

I think Bungie took it all far too seriously, the story was so pompous and dull in the originals. It’s a much more fun game nowadays.
Better with pompous and dull than clowns and cheap tricks.

Soltype

Halo always had some levity in the games , but I agree it's far too much this time around. It's just too juxtaposed with the rest of the game.

Kagey K

Banned
imagine being so miserable you get upset by a few one liners.
If my job was to stand in front and die first, I'd be trying to find the humor or silver lining in it as well.

My line would be like "I hope my family gets paid"

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The general reaction to the grunt banter has been overwhelmingly positive, so i'm glad 343i aren't listening to you.

Will you have the same sentiments when the general public will react overwhelmingly positive to wearing jorts this summer?

The funny grunt trope was funny because it was more or less subtle. When it's used as it is in Infinite it becomes distracting. Still funny? Perhaps. Messes with the overall tone (especially with the very trying emotional/serious story narrtive) of the series? Undoubtedly.

Funny (no pun intended) that folks are using 343's lackluster way of bringing organic life and personality to it's campaign as a argument as to why the 3rd wall breaking - in your face usage of said trope is a good thing

I like the game but it's ok to have criticism. Some folks indeed do care for nuance and subtlety. The devil is in the details.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I liked them, they didn’t come off as any more or less goofy than in previous Halo games to me.

Their particular use has been taking to an extreme which downplays their initial worth. Same as a movie sequel using a particular running gag and amplifies it while being oblivious as to why it worked in the first place.

🤣🤣🤣

I'm having such a great sunday; analyzing grunts FML

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
They are basically the Halo version of Gremlins. Anyone who has seen those movies will know what I mean.

They are not supposed to be taken seriously.

Will you have the same sentiments when the general public will react overwhelmingly positive to wearing jorts this summer?

The funny grunt trope was funny because it was more or less subtle. When it's used as it is in Infinite it becomes distracting. Still funny? Perhaps. Messes with the overall tone (especially with the very trying emotional/serious story narrtive) of the series? Undoubtedly.

Funny (no pun intended) that folks are using 343's lackluster way of bringing organic life and personality to it's campaign as a argument as to why the 3rd wall breaking - in your face usage of said trope is a good thing

I like the game but it's ok to have criticism. Some folks indeed do care for nuance and subtlety. The devil is in the details.

Are you kidding? The overall and overwhelming majority over a month ago enjoyed it. That’s when most people were playing the game too. At launch. The tide won’t turn. If it would have it would have been voiced it was stupid.

I’m sorry you didn’t. Mostly everyone did. Get over it.

I love the Grunts and their gags are good which is rare today. For example i recently watched Cop Shop and man EVERY "gag" sucked.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Are you kidding? The overall and overwhelming majority over a month ago enjoyed it. That’s when most people were playing the game too. At launch. The tide won’t turn. If it would have it would have been voiced it was stupid.

I’m sorry you didn’t. Mostly everyone did. Get over it.

Lol defensive much?

Did you even read my post and tried to see it from my POV? I even said I liked it somewhat. And again with the majority argument. It's ok bro enjoy your product

"Most did" "Get over it"

"THE TIDE WONT TURN"

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Also, using a new to the series user base (free game) opinion regarding this particular discussion makes it seem you dont know what the fuck your talking about anyways.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
That depends, I prefer my TV and movies to be a little more serious but I usually play games just to have fun.

What are these “cheap tricks” out of curiosity?
Appealing to the lowest denominator by telling jokes and being silly to catch people's attention.

Batiman

Banned
Nah they’re amazing. Halos always been a bit like MGS. Serious when it has to be but doesn’t forget it’s a game.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Appealing to the lowest denominator by telling jokes and being silly to catch people's attention.

More or less although I'm erring on the side of accidence.

Lol. No I'm not.

"Let's empathize this particular aspect, PEOPLE LOVE IT"

"But wouldn't it cause issues regarding overal tone etce?"

"What? Huh? You're not paid to think.. Just implement this clown ass shit; studies have shown that folks unaware of Halo love it so that's final"

"Hehe funny little shits"

"Where's my drink?"

🤔

Last edited:
Lol defensive much?

Did you even read my post and tried to see it from my POV? I even said I liked it somewhat. And again with the majority argument. It's ok bro enjoy your product

"Most did" "Get over it"

"THE TIDE WONT TURN"

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Also, using a new to the series user base (free game) opinion regarding this particular discussion makes it seem you dont know what the fuck your talking about anyways.

I just don’t understand the point of threads likes these.

You just admitted you knew almost everyone loved it. Thanks for letting us know everything has those that won’t like it, like anything.

You won’t change my mind. I won’t change your mind. The truth is the common opinion is it was hilarious and awesome. That’s it.

Also I have played Halo since it launched on the OG Xbox. There has always been humour to it.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I just don’t understand the point of threads likes these.
I'm not trying to use a petty reason to discredit Halo Infinite. I think the game is great, one of the absolute best games of 2021, I had a great time with it, but I do think they went too far with the Grunts. That's all.

Well, they are child soldiers who had their entire civilization eradicated by the Covenant so they would be more compliant slaves.

Yeah, the Halo universe is more fucked up than the games portray.

Top Bottom