• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is happening to the moderation here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrA

Banned
First they advocate for Candy Corn but ask yourself, "what's next?". Marzipan? Dark Chocolate? Where does this road end? WHERE?!?!?!?
Here
MaryJanePeanutButterKisses-1508448232-1-765x453.jpg

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
First they advocate for Candy Corn but ask yourself, "what's next?". Marzipan? Dark Chocolate? Where does this road end? WHERE?!?!?!?
You are right the world has been getting crazy of late. Wear a mask? Sure why not. Get a mandatory vaccination? Yeah sure why not. But dark chocolate? Candy corn? In my fucking house?????

I'll fucking die before I allow such transgressions to befall me and my family. I still have my rights as a human being. I deserve to be able to eat edible sweets. No one should be forced to eat trash.

Last edited:

Facism

Was going to say man could use a lucozade and wank, but after faults reveal, I don't think he deserves either anymore 😐

Hello,

Today I used the report function three times.

1) For a person that compared the pressure of being anti vax to the jews being followed in the second world war ( https://www.neogaf.com/threads/covi...fauci-edition.1608887/page-231#post-265134179 )

2) The same person for calling for violence and people that want a vaccination mandate to be culled the next day. Yes those are this person's words (https://www.neogaf.com/threads/covi...fauci-edition.1608887/page-231#post-265134287 )

3) A different person in a different thread insulting people as idiots, dumb asses and people that can't read ( https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...ng-black-friday.1624941/page-3#post-265135071 )

And what happens? I get a warning and three points for using the report function while those posts still stand?

I hope this is a single moderator that is doing this and not reflective of the entire moderation staff who are doing this hard work voluntarely?

It would be very much appreciated if the moderators could look into this. I don't want to cause drama, but since I can't see who is handing out these infraction points I can't talk to them in PM.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

I find those posts are harmless.......

GOOD JOB mods for not taking any action

reksveks

To the mods, is there any way to see content that you have had removed and the reason why?

I posted a comment in the Nintendo Switch UK thread that I cant remember and it's been cleaned up for some unknown reason that seems to be used for a number of comments in that thread.

I just want to know what I said that needed moderation.

I would say Gaf is near the centter except a couple of really passionate posters. If this was a far right message board there would not be topics dedicated to hi res images of boobs and butts.

I would think that the far left are the ones who hate boobs and butts. You won’t see these threads on ResetEra.

yep, the woke left would hate the boobs and butts threads, they're like religious group, going around with their high moral banner and flag, preaching and judging people how to behave, how to think

Ionian

I got a warning recently. It didn't say what I said, just it was inappropriate. OK?

Probably a good idea to point out the offending post. I had no idea what it referenced.

Maybe might be a good idea for mods to do that. I've no probs with mods was just weird.

Star-Lord

I love that the OP tagged the thread as account suicide, yet they failed to do even that. How bleak must your life be if you can’t even kill yourself correctly?

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
To the mods, is there any way to see content that you have had removed and the reason why?

I posted a comment in the Nintendo Switch UK thread that I cant remember and it's been cleaned up for some unknown reason that seems to be used for a number of comments in that thread.

I just want to know what I said that needed moderation.

I just checked, it was removed as part of a general cleanup. Lots of posts were removed - not so much for their content but for them feeding what appears to be a derail. The title was also changed looking at the audit logs and the thread was reopened to try and salvage it.

reksveks

I just checked, it was removed as part of a general cleanup. Lots of posts were removed - not so much for their content but for them feeding what appears to be a derail. The title was also changed looking at the audit logs and the thread was reopened to try and salvage it.
cheers for that update/insight. i was just rather confused.

Wikipedia definition: "Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is hostility to, prejudice towards, or discrimination against Jews."

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how the "offending"/reported posts are anti Semitic, at least going by Wikipedia's definition.

As for the third reported post calling people names -- report that, put the user on ignore, and move on.

This thread shows 2 things:
(1) as the content in the original threads was getting dangerously "political" in nature, it shows that the decision that Evilore and the staff made to nuke the Politics section of the forum was a FANTASTIC idea. Politics -- as it exists in 2021 -- in general is poison
(2) that the mods potentially took the correct action by not initially or quickly banning the poster who made the "offending"/reported posts. Again, the anti Semitism claim may be at best subjective, at worst incorrect.

Had the mods taken quick action without review, it would set a dangerous precedent. Today would have been those posts; what about tomorrow? What if someone decided to report, say, the Butt thread? Are the mods going to nuke that thread immediately, based on one person's sensitivity/hurt feelings towards the butt thread? It's a bit of a facetious example, but the point is that -- as I've said multiple times now -- GAF's biggest strength is its freedom of speech (within ToS constraints, of course).
I'll correct you.

I'm actually Jewish and when it comes to this stuff I know much more then Wikipedia. Comparing the holocaust to the whole vax thing is actually offically anti-semtic. Why? Because it falls under the legal defination of Holocaust revisionism. Taking something such as the Holocaust and taking away its impact and seriousness by making it seem like something lesser IS known as anti semetic. In fact pulling that shit is so serious that you could be arrested for Holocaust denial in Germany for speaking in that way.

It's important to look at Holocaust law and definations and how it is related to international anti semistism policy rather than just using wikipedia. Just my advice.

Now regarding this whole mod/reporting issue when I first joined I did see some very serious Holocaust denial statements in the Politics forum. I messaged EvilLore directly and informed him. I felt it was that serious. I didn't make it public though and he thanked me for letting him know but told me to let mods know in the future. At the end of the day if you feel there is a serious concern of hate speech my advice is to message a mod directly. Then leave it up to them to decide.

Last edited:
Lol, if any Gaf members are holocaust survivors that would be very impressive.

OP is just uneducated or inexperienced.
1. Doesn't know what Anti-Semetic means.
2. Lacks reading comprehension.
3. Is unable to debate without being overcome by emotions and hurt feelings.

Might need an option to disable the report button for particular users.
I'm a third generation Holocaust Survivor. Look it up, it's a very real and documented thing.

Konnor

I'll correct you.

I'm actually Jewish and when it comes to this stuff I know much more then Wikipedia. Comparing the holocaust to the whole vax thing is actually offically anti-semtic. Why? Because it falls under the legal defination of Holocaust revisionism. Taking something such as the Holocaust and taking away its impact and seriousness by making it seem like something lesser IS known as anti semetic. In fact pulling that shit is so serious that you could be arrested for Holocaust denial in Germany for speaking in that way.

It's important to look at Holocaust law and definations and how it is related to international anti semistism policy rather than just using wikipedia. Just my advice.

Now regarding this whole mod/reporting issue when I first joined I did see some very serious Holocaust denial statements in the Politics forum. I messaged EvilLore directly and informed him. I felt it was that serious. I didn't make it public though and he thanked me for letting him know but told me to let mods know in the future. At the end of the day if you feel there is a serious concern of hate speech my advice is to message a mod directly. Then leave it up to them to decide.

Or, you know, it's just a bad comparison. If that logic made sense certain other people that compare everyone they disagree with with Nazis and Hitler would be the biggest fucking antisemites on the fucking planet since they do it non-stop for years now.

I'll correct you.

This makes no sense. Comparing apples and oranges means that you’re denying the existence of oranges? I don’t know what the laws in Germany say but I am sure we can find plenty of idiotic laws if we look for them. Btw, what do you make of the Charlie Chaplin movie The Great Dictator?

Star-Lord

This makes no sense. Comparing apples and oranges means that you’re denying the existence of oranges? I don’t know what the laws in Germany say but I am sure we can find plenty of idiotic laws if we look for them. Btw, what do you make of the Charlie Chaplin movie The Great Dictator?
A more important question is are oranges called oranges because of the colour, or is the colour orange called orange because of the fruit?

Ionian

I'm a third generation Holocaust Survivor. Look it up, it's a very real and documented thing.

Every source is the same. Not to say it isn't real but they're all the same. 3rd generation holocaust survivor. I've had members of my family murdered. 3rd generation survivor? There is no pride in death with murder. People shed tears and families collapse in absolute grief.

At a pure logical/objective level, I actually agree with you.

I'll correct you.

I'll try to make my response as objective and respectful as possible, because I have nothing but love and respect for the Jewish people, and the Holocaust was one of history's greatest tragedies committed by truly evil people. That being said:

(1) Your response started with "I'll correct you." if you "know more than Wikipedia," why don't you personally, or people that agree with you, go and update the Wikipedia article? Surely there must be a lot of people who agree with you. So correcting me is not going to achieve much since my source -- which I imagine must be a quick and easy (if not fully scholarly) source for a lot of people -- is itself incorrect.

(2) As T TaylorSwiftFan said -- a comparison of X to Y resulting in the "revisionism" or denial of Y -- logically that's a leap that I honestly don't see. And it's a leap that, because it borders on the illogical, you're going to have to do a bit better job of explaining.

(3) After your reply to me, you replied to someone else saying something along the lines of "go look it up, it's well known." I think this is finally what prompted a response from from me. With all due respect, that's not a logically consistent approach. You told me you are the expert, and know much more than Wikipedia. Since you are the expert, why don't you provide some sources, instead of relying on non-experts to "look it up?" Again, you have nothing but my respect and my willingness to learn and engage, and I'm very much looking forward to your response. But the whole "go look it up" thing was just a more polite version of "it's not my job to educate you" thing that people use online so much. But I disagree; since you are the expert, we (the non experts) could certainly use some educating, with linked sources. (If this wasn't your intention or messaging, I apologize.)

Last edited:
Every source is the same. Not to say it isn't real but they're all the same. 3rd generation holocaust survivor. I've had members of my family murdered. 3rd generation survivor? There is no pride in death with murder. People shed tears and families collapse in absolute grief.
It's not about pride at all of course not. It's about the intergenerational trauma of the camp survivors that are passed down three generations.

At a pure logical/objective level, I actually agree with you.

I'll try to make my response as objective and respectful as possible, because I have nothing but love and respect for the Jewish people, and the Holocaust was one of history's greatest tragedies committed by truly evil people. That being said:

(1) Your response started with "I'll correct you." if you "know more than Wikipedia," why don't you personally, or people that agree with you, go and update the Wikipedia article? Surely there must be a lot of people who agree with you. So correcting me is not going to achieve much since my source -- which I imagine must be a quick and easy (if not fully scholarly) source for a lot of people -- is itself incorrect.

(2) As T TaylorSwiftFan said -- a comparison of X to Y resulting in the "revisionism" or denial of Y -- logically that's a leap that I honestly don't see. And it's a leap that, because it borders on the illogical, you're going to have to do a bit better job of explaining.

(3) After your reply to me, you replied to someone else saying something along the lines of "go look it up, it's well known." I think this is finally what prompted a response from from me. With all due respect, that's not a logically consistent approach. You told me you are the expert, and know much more than Wikipedia. Since you are the expert, why don't you provide some sources, instead of relying on non-experts to "look it up?" Again, you have nothing but my respect and my willingness to learn and engage, and I'm very much looking forward to your response. But the whole "go look it up" thing was just a more polite version of "it's not my job to educate you" thing that people use online so much. But I disagree; since you are the expert, we (the non experts) could certainly use some educating, with linked sources. (If this wasn't your intention or messaging, I apologize.)
Thanks for your reply. I'll respond properly soon. Or we can discuss in DM properly? Thank you for civility in your reply.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I'll respond properly soon. Or we can discuss in DM properly? Thank you for civility in your reply.
Whichever way you want it, brother 😀. In whichever way it comes -- looking forward to your response! (And, whenever you can get around to it, so no rush.)

Keep in mind, that no matter how much I may "logically" disagree with you -- you can count on my civility and respect in this conversation, at all times.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom