What Is NPC, the Pro-Trump Internet’s New Favorite Insult?

Feb 25, 2017
The origin of this meme.

I think this meme may be resonating with conservatives because the subtext has deeper implications and perspective than the dishonest mainstream media giving it credit for. The meme basically implies that most of the radical left's arguments and persuasions are deeply rooted in the pathos, appeal to emotion. Peoples' emotions are hard to argue against because of personal experiences and the general difficulty of explaining against abstract emotional states such as joy, sadness, anger. Appeal to emotion is a fallacy that those on the losing side of arguments usually resort to. The emotionally immature, typically the youth and uneducated, are easily manipulated and influenced by such tactics for they lack the tools to cope with stressful/complicated situations and acumen to make informed decisions. Those without firm emotional maturity will naturally be drawn and susceptible to this type of persuasion.

Trump's election and presidency has shown many instances of the radical left merely appealing to emotion to buttress their arguments. Their arguments often time collapse on closer scrutiny because emotions do not carry much logical weight. A good quote I like to use.

When you have the facts on your side, you pound on the facts.
When you have the law on your side, you pound on the law.
When you have neither, you pound on the table.

Jun 24, 2007
Well they are walking memes themselves so that actually makes alot of sense.
You say that, but if we look at the history of memes, white male liberals have been called so far "cuckolds", "soyboys" and "npcs". All three have a very different meaning and they're not just empty buzzwords, they were all legitimized because they are mirroring real life aspects of these people (Chuck Wendig validates all three in one hit for example). You look for pics of these, you find the left matching those with real life appearance, attitude and mentality.
The left only had "incel" which unlike the former three can apply to both sides of the spectrum. Basically a regurgitated "virgin neckbeard".

For example, you have recycled the only "counterargument" Reddit could come up with, as in the faux houlier than thou "Because Trump supporters are.....shall we say uh......easily entertained" which is backhanded "lol they are so stupid and uneducated so of course they like this redneck hillbilly shit I bet they eat Chef Boyardee ravioli lmao". Which is not the case, the left simply can't meme because to the left "incel" simply means "see? Only losers and hicks align with Trump so please don't vote for GOP vote DNC instead". The right hardly cares what the left thinks of them, the left very much cares what the world thinks of them (hence the thought police) and has got a lot of weak spots. And that's why all their attempts at humor are lousy (and you can see this from Hollywood like the pathetic Marvel movies quips) and memes.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gritty-the-philadelphia-flyers-bizarre-new-mascot-is-antifa-now

This kinda stuff is what actually brings votes to the GOP.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2004
USA
You say that, but if we look at the history of memes, white male liberals have been called so far "cuckolds", "soyboys" and "npcs". All three have a very different meaning and they're not just empty buzzwords, they were all legitimized because they are mirroring real life aspects of these people (Chuck Wendig validates all three in one hit for example). You look for pics of these, you find the left matching those with real life appearance, attitude and mentality.
The left only had "incel" which unlike the former three can apply to both sides of the spectrum. Basically a regurgitated "virgin neckbeard".

For example, you have recycled the only "counterargument" Reddit could come up with, as in the faux houlier than thou "Because Trump supporters are.....shall we say uh......easily entertained" which is backhanded "lol they are so stupid and uneducated so of course they like this redneck hillbilly shit I bet they eat Chef Boyardee ravioli lmao". Which is not the case, the left simply can't meme because to the left "incel" simply means "see? Only losers and hicks align with Trump so please don't vote for GOP vote DNC instead". The right hardly cares what the left thinks of them, the left very much cares what the world thinks of them (hence the thought police) and has got a lot of weak spots. And that's why all their attempts at humor are lousy (and you can see this from Hollywood like the pathetic Marvel movies quips) and memes.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gritty-the-philadelphia-flyers-bizarre-new-mascot-is-antifa-now

This kinda stuff is what actually brings votes to the GOP.
wow this one of the lamest posts I've seen on here

Concerning the bolded:

Why on earth would you believe one specific political party has a monopoly on a sexual fetish, aside from the obvious, you really really want it to so your memes can have meaning. Trump's team has two of the most famous cuckolds in politics today at the forefront. Can you even name an actual cuck on the left? We aren't talking a creeper (or even assaulter, if you want to go that far) like Clinton, Weiner or Franken. Those guys ain't looking for other dudes to do the work for them. We're talking guys who actually take out ads to find their wives some new dick like Stone or get off taping their wives being (unhappily) gangbanged like Manafort
- Bare in mind I am not shaming this sexual practice (assuming the woman is happy with it, Manafort...). Cucks are helping out some horny incels, props to them. I'm simply pointing out how dumb it is to champion the idea that the term "cuck" is some magic insult that perfectly encapsulates the left and excludes the right

Concerning "NPC"s, one side is overwhelmingly known for employing actual bots to disseminate coordinated propaganda, and it's not the left.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ess-russia-investigation-latest-a8182626.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/politics/russia-facebook-twitter-election.html
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/02/04/trump-twitter-russians-release-the-memo-216935
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017...nt-a-bot-but-she-wasnt-quite-real-either.html
hundreds more links...
This one's the definition of projection.
- Plus, "NPC" just sounds dumb (more on this, later). Also, it's the epitome of an overthought nerd insult, like calling someone's mom's insert method public. It's a step away from a programming diss, programming disses are never cool when they hit a populace who won't understand them

As for "soyboy", this is the most limp-wristed insult I've ever heard. It can't be actually spoken without whoever is saying it sounding like a tool. There's a reason "cuck" works so well, it ends in that hard "uck" sound that we all know and love. "oi-oi" is a doofy sound made by a fool or mental degenerate, with some gradeschool rhyming thrown in. There's a reason every real curse word ends in a hard consonants. Don't believe me? Just consider the science of swearing. "For every cock, there’s a childlike wee-wee". Need I say more?
"NPC" actually has a similar problem. It works much better with a simple "bot" or "shill"
But I'll give you the fact that "soyboy" likely applies to very few on the right. Congrats on that, I guess... Not that I imagine those on the left who avoid meat care all that much. Many of them are, in fact, obnoxiously proud of their aversion to meat

As for the doofy image you posted to prove the left's memes are unfunny, vial, and cruel, obviously this can be done to any group, anywhere, by simply finding an example of an image or joke created by someone who sucks at humor. We can't ban these people from trying to support our sides. To throw the same shade at the right, I need only find one of the hundreds of unfunny racist memes about the Obamas that various GOP members and my stupid uncle can't help but "like", retweet, and forward

Pretty lame meme. Its not even funny. I wonder why people even get riled up over this. The left is so easy to annoy.
While I question whether or not "the left" is actually being annoyed by being called "NPC", rather than simply being annoyed by the spam/general trolling, thank you for at least showing some sense and admitting this is nothing but lame. I too don't see the humor. It's strange hearing how great and funny this meme is from people without seeing any examples posted, just explanations as to why the meme is great. Successful meme threads are strings of funny memes that need no explanation. The irony of a bunch of rubes trying to explain and sell the trend of calling others "NPC"s as funny is the most entertaining part of the meme. Excessively ironic, that the meme is being pushed on Twitter by actual bots

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2004
USA
science of swearing. "For every cock, there’s a childlike wee-wee"

I know you love "soyboy" cause it "owns the libs". But there's a reason you don't hear it spoken. It simply doesn't sound like an insult. There's no way to say it without sounding silly or childish. "Cuck" at least sounds like an insult. In case you didn't get it, what word that has proven itself the king of harsh vulgarities does it rhyme with? (Note it also sounds similar to runner-up "cock")

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2007
wow this one of the lamest posts I've seen on here

Cuckold is about the overly empathetic (according to the left, self-hating and self-destructing according to the right) voting tendency and general attitude, it eventually found validation in real life, you insist about two or three politicians, but the argument is about the userbase, soyboy is nicely explained here and NPC is about humans being indoctrinated and reacting to stimuli the same exact way like robots (like the white kid kicking the white woman against abortion or pepper spraying a white old man in the face). I did mention the "lol only stupid people like this meme on purpose" because it's the new "college educated people voted for Clinton". Again, look no further than Chuck Wendig and his twitter of the past two weeks, he's the living breathing embodiment of all those memes. If anything, the soyboy meme worked on him because he finally closed the mouth.
Even NPC hardly fits the right, because let's face it: a lot have voted Trump to stop the progressive liberals.

I know you love "soyboy" cause it "owns the libs". But there's a reason you don't hear it spoken. It simply doesn't sound like an insult. There's no way to say it without sounding silly or childish. "Cuck" at least sounds like an insult. In case you didn't get it, what word that has proven itself the king of harsh vulgarities does it rhyme with? (Note it also sounds similar to runner-up "cock")
Soyboy is a way to describe someone, like bugman, you hear the word and you can picture the person. It just so happens that those who look like it the most are liberals.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Pretty lame meme. Its not even funny. I wonder why people even get riled up over this. The left is so easy to annoy.
I think people are mainly incredulous for the most part. The idea of Trump supporters of all people criticizing others for towing the party line and not thinking for themselves is frankly hilarious given the way Trump supporters behave lol

Its the ultimate version of this

Last edited:
May 22, 2018

I don't hear any of these things spoken in real life. what on earth are you on about.

Jun 17, 2004
USA
I don't hear any of these things spoken in real life. what on earth are you on about.
If you haven't heard people being called "cucks" over the last few years, I envy you

"Soyboy" still sounds silly, even when read. I doubt anyone is bothered by it

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2004
USA
Cuckold is about the overly empathetic (according to the left, self-hating and self-destructing according to the right) voting tendency and general attitude, it eventually found validation in real life, you insist about two or three politicians, but the argument is about the userbase, soyboy is nicely explained here and NPC is about humans being indoctrinated and reacting to stimuli the same exact way like robots (like the white kid kicking the white woman against abortion or pepper spraying a white old man in the face). I did mention the "lol only stupid people like this meme on purpose" because it's the new "college educated people voted for Clinton". Again, look no further than Chuck Wendig and his twitter of the past two weeks, he's the living breathing embodiment of all those memes. If anything, the soyboy meme worked on him because he finally closed the mouth.
Even NPC hardly fits the right, because let's face it: a lot have voted Trump to stop the progressive liberals.
Cuck still has an actual definition, one from which the political definition you are referencing is derived, and one which is readily applied to top members of Trump's team. It is just as easy to accuse the right of voting against their own interests as it is the left, thus even adopting the new perversion of the term I don't see how it's exclusive in any way

I recognize what soyboy means, and I agree it fits the left much better than the right, I'm simply pointing out that it sounds lame, and this is why it hasn't caught on like "cuck" did. Obviously the side that is propping up equality for women is ripe for having their masculinity picked on. "snowflake" also had some oomph to it, and also caught on. "Soyboy" is as weak as those it's meant to insult

Concerning NPC, once again, it's hilarious you think only the left can be indoctrinated. Examples of the opposite are rampant. Indoctrination is not specific to any political ideology, it happens at the extremes of all of them (and of religions, and of cults, and so on). And you ignore the fact that the right is employing actual robots to spread this meme. The irony is off the charts. So, no, I wouldn't say "NPC" hardly fits the right. Your statement can easily be reversed: "let's face it: a lot have voted for Hillary to stop the regressive right". How does this have any relevancy to the discussion?

And I have no idea what you mean by "the white kid kicking the white woman against abortion or pepper spraying a white old man in the face". I guess these are examples of the meme? If so, provide them, so we can see how funny they are, rather than telling us how great they are and expecting us to agree like an NPC! Here is a similar meme from the left, making fun of the right's tendency to support policies that hurt their own demographic, but at least it's clever and catchy:
No joke, I've been debating online on another site with a guy who has trotted out the same tired phrases and arguments like "rape culture" instead of ya know, presenting his argument without using tired buzzwords.

Act like a hive mind that can't think for itself, get treated like a hive mind that can't think for itself.
The irony is strong in this thread. You are making this comment after fellow posters are bragging about the strength of the alt-right's buzzwords...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
It's the latest attempt by reactionaries to convince one another that their endless circlejerking and autofellating is producing something meaningful.
And people wonder why we have memes like this.. How can you just appear in this thread and so conveniently confirm the very meme.. and you didn't even flinch for a second before going on auto-pilot.. I'm sorry, but it's just so weird.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018
If nothing else i kinda like it for the simple reason that it exposes social media as the democrat pr arm they are, to the point they have to make up "dehumanizing behavior" for a week old meme... after 2 years of calling everyone supporting trump a Russian bot lol
The fact that you can still call trump supporters nazis, hitler, russian bots among other things and not even get banned or lose your blue check mark but calling a bunch of leftists NPC gets you banned, i think its really amazing and easy to see for everyone that twitter is just licking the balls of the democrat party and leftist.
The efficiency with which it strips leftists of their own perceived strength, randomly calling the opposition bot, a superficial diversity, and replaces it with their true face, a required uniformity of thought is kinda amazing, i guess twitter realized this and panic banned lol

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
"nothing burger" is a thing for Trump supporters, so this meme falls somewhere between ironic and hypocritical.
This originated with the liberal media did it not? I've heard both sides use the term but I thought CNN made that word a thing.

Know your meme says "Throughout the 2016 presidential election, pundits and politicians referred to Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server as a "nothing burger." One of the most famous examples came from Charles P. Pierce, a writer for Esquire. On April 6th, 2016, Esquire published an article by Pierce entitled "The Great Hillary Email Nothingburger is Still on the Grill, and It's Certainly Overcooked."[7]

Jun 19, 2014
This originated with the liberal media did it not? I've heard both sides use the term but I thought CNN made that word a thing.
That could be, but it became a mantra for Trump supporters regarding anything Trump was doing, after I believe Dowd called a NYT article such. All I know is I heard it from the Trump camp on television, and for the next few months, that's all I heard from his supporters.

Jun 20, 2018
That could be, but it became a mantra for Trump supporters regarding anything Trump was doing, after I believe Dowd called a NYT article such. All I know is I heard it from the Trump camp on television, and for the next few months, that's all I heard from his supporters.
"its ok when we do it!" not to mention that basically 90% of anti trump media have actually been absolute nothing burgers ala "omg he had two scoops, omg toilet paper, omg tiny hands" just aimed at killing him via public opinion, if you cant see something so blatantly in your face and obvious thats your issue.

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
I'm not a memer or whatever, but I think it's clever and I'm enjoying how obviously irritated a lot of IdPol minded people are getting over it. Parents, make sure your kids learn what it's like to be made fun of when they're young, you can't protect them from it when they're adults and it's a lesson every person is going to have to learn at some point.