What Is NPC, the Pro-Trump Internet’s New Favorite Insult?

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
A fair and funny post. I honestly find these threads too depressing to lay out my thoughts these days, but I am working on a new thread to try and cover it.

The NPC meme is kind of funny but it lacks any sense of self awareness. To say that the left just parrots talking points is the definition of the pot calling the kettle black. Both sides are guilty of group think, and tribal group will have some % of people just jumping in without knowing the facts. But for Trump supporters, many of whom seem to reject facts that are easily accessible and provable to pile on in this way is very strange and lacking self awareness.
The story behind the meme is part of what makes it fascinating. I don't think you can critically analyze it without taking that into account.

It was a dead meme. It was neither popular nor propped-up as a pro-Trump, anti-Left meme until Kotaku said it was. They even characterized the person who revived the meme as "alt-Right" and then later edited in "(Update—8:15 pm: Cheong returned a request for comment to note that he does not consider himself to be alt-right)".

So to say that it lacks self-awareness because "Trump supports are guilty of group think too" is missing the point, from my perspective. It's not about one group of NPCs accusing another group of NPCs of being NPCs. It's about a journalist ascribing the meme to a wider, insidious movement to "dehumanize SJWs" (in their own words) in an article packed with many of the truisms and leaps-of-logic that the NPC meme is aimed at. In other words, an "NPC" journalist got offended by the NPC meme, and spoke up about it in an NPC way.

The meme itself is politically agnostic.

But then Twitter made it worse by banning a bunch of accounts using the meme, which fueled it more. Then mainstream mags started writing about it. The strong reaction to it is factual.

Apr 8, 2009
Keep digging in baby. Eventually, likely in the midst of furiously typing a scathing rebuttal to some rando on the web, you will realize that you have become the meme you hate.
What on flat earth are you talking about? I'm just trying to figure out why it's ok to believe the so-called scientists and their propaganda. I just want to be a free thinker like Kanye.

Aug 4, 2017
The story behind the meme is part of what makes it fascinating. I don't think you can critically analyze it without taking that into account.

It was a dead meme. It was neither popular nor propped-up as a pro-Trump, anti-Left meme until Kotaku said it was. They even characterized the person who revived the meme as "alt-Right" and then later edited in "(Update—8:15 pm: Cheong returned a request for comment to note that he does not consider himself to be alt-right)".

So to say that it lacks self-awareness because "Trump supports are guilty of group think too" is missing the point, from my perspective. It's not about one group of NPCs accusing another group of NPCs of being NPCs. It's about a journalist ascribing the meme to a wider, insidious movement to "dehumanize SJWs" (in their own words) in an article packed with many of the truisms and leaps-of-logic that the NPC meme is aimed at. In other words, an "NPC" journalist got offended by the NPC meme, and spoke up about it in an NPC way.

The meme itself is politically agnostic.

But then Twitter made it worse by banning a bunch of accounts using the meme, which fueled it more. Then mainstream mags started writing about it. The strong reaction to it is factual.
Then I suppose I'm getting sucked into some of the thread rhetoric more than the meme itself. Alright.

Dec 15, 2011
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45888176

The aunty of MSM continues its slippery slide.
When the shoe is on the other foot, mass-groupthink on Twitter is lauded for 'raising awareness' and 'empowering people'...
..until the groupthink isn't the groupthink that those that endorse groupthink think that groupthink ought to be.
All of a sudden, all that Twitter empowerment, all that raising awareness, all that empowerment is now dangerous, abusive, alarmist.

The circle is complete.
And the speed with which Twitter has moved on this joke, when 'the right kind of hate' is left to fester - even after being reported, is one of the biggest take-aways in all of this.

(I am a big fan of the BBC, its legacy and its services. But their internet news content has become astonishingly.. er.. 'problematic' in the last couple of years. Like a dripping tap, once you become aware of it, it becomes impossible to overlook it).

(I am not a fan of twitter or social media at all. I merely use it to confirm my biases and call anyone that disagrees with me a word ending in 'ist')

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2010
It's a meme which fits its userbase. Their entire identity is attempting to make fun of others while at the same time pretending to be rational and "above it all." Everyone is the hero of their own story, I suppose.

Apr 18, 2014
P-Town
Is it possible to enjoy the NPC meme without being a Trump supporter?
I would imagine that the people who find this meme the funniest are those of us in the center. It clearly mocks anybody who holds firm to the party line regardless of side. It mocks anybody who doesn't have the ability to understand nuance and can only repeat the same drivel over and over ad nauseum. This is something that is clearly found on both sides of the political spectrum. It just so happens that in this current political climate it fits the far left best.

You could say anything right now and I would like your post for your avatar.
Holy Shit that avatar is amazing! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
It's a meme which fits its userbase. Their entire identity is attempting to make fun of others while at the same time pretending to be rational and "above it all." Everyone is the hero of their own story, I suppose.
Are you describing people who like the NPC meme or South Park? I remember all the uppity, puritanical evangelists up in arms about South Park in the late 90s to early 00s. History repeating itself from the opposite direction, I guess.

Oct 9, 2013
It's a meme that's caused some maximum amount of asshurt, that's for sure. So much so there's a sjw crusade going on to rid twitter of them :D.

I wouldn't expect anything less given these are probably the same people who scream at the sky because of the Orange man.

Mar 1, 2017
Is this like a counter meme to the russian bots that fooled all the trumpets with fake news garbage? It's interesting to see how they are coping

Anyway the meme doesn't work because the libtards can easily turn the table. Hillary emails, benghazi, podesta, etc it's always the same shit responses totally irrelevant to the subject at hand. Besides, the only persons who can appreciate this meme are the morrowind playing basement dwellers whose most knowledgable subjects include transgenders participation in sports, if you know what I mean. Another giant circle jerk

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Is this like a counter meme to the russian bots that fooled all the trumpets with fake news garbage? It's interesting to see how they are coping
Excellent retort. And in only two sentences.

[/thread] to imply that your statement was conclusive in its dismissal of all arguments made herein.

Oct 1, 2006

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2017
You know that's not what I said at all, and this can be used to demonstrate the significance of this meme; its use to dismiss any counterpoints regardless of merit. It's funny because this has been an abhorrent strategy used by the left for a while now

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Simulation success: Welcome to the next level
@NE0_NPC: WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME? THAT I CAN DODGE TWITTER BANS?

@M0RPHEUS_NPC: NO, MY SWEET SUMMER CHILD. I'M TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT WHEN YOU'RE READY, YOU WON'T HAVE TO.

EXTREME ZOOM OUT AS @M0RPHEUS_NPC MAKES IMPOSSIBLE LEAPS ACROSS THE HECTIC FLOW OF THE MULTIDIRECTIONAL TWEETSTORM TRAFFIC OF THE TWITTERVERSE, COMPLETELY UNSCATHED.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
The more I think about this meme the more the outrage confuses me. You’d think that NPCs would feel honored that people think that their opinions are so unique that we attribute them to a single hive mind.

Jan 12, 2009
I see MAGA ones popping up now, repurposed for the right of course. NPCs, these memes are some nerdy ass shit, lol. But I guess I'm a nerd because I understand it.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018
I like how people think everyone voted for Trump just cause they are on the right, even though there people on the right who didn't vote for Trump, or don't like him. Though the NPC meme is pretty funny.

Apr 15, 2018
Are these people actually trying to interfere in the election?

Probably not. Evidence suggests that these are mostly just attention-starved gamers looking to impress one another by “triggering the libs” with edgy memes.
😂 It's clearly working.

"Those damn gamers.....With their games and their memes"

Nintendo Switch

ESRB rating: Early Childhood (EC)
Oct 27, 2017
It was a bad patch.

In the future they need to do more careful testing before they push to 100%.
I hope the bad code didn't brick any units.
Lol, reading the cringey posts in this thread that you guys think pass for humorous is my new fetish.

:messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

Conservatives really do have the most pathetic sense of humor, it’s wild how lame the jokes and memes that your side come up with are.

It would be a complement to call these dad jokes. They are more like, the third cousin that was a byproduct of inbreeding’s jokes.

You guys make even Dennis Miller or the half hour news hour look funny by comparison.

FYI, the half hour news hour was that daily show clone Fox News tried to make with conservative comedians that flopped hard because conservatives just have the lamest sense of humor. It was truly awful and I was always blown that that was the best attempt at a daily show clone conservatives could up with.

That is, until I saw the lame ass shit that you guys come up with as dank memes when you put your heads together. Now, it all makes sense.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
>the right makes a meme making fun of the left
>the left gets upset and starts using the same meme to make fun of the right because they can't think of anything on their own
>th-the right isn't funny guiz!!!

FYI, the half hour news hour was that daily show clone Fox News tried to make with conservative comedians that flopped hard because conservatives just have the lamest sense of humor. It was truly awful and I was always blown that that was the best attempt at a daily show clone conservatives could up with.

That is, until I saw the lame ass shit that you guys come up with as dank memes when you put your heads together. Now, it all makes sense.

Oct 9, 2013
Lol, reading the cringey posts in this thread that you guys think pass for humorous is my new fetish.

:messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

Conservatives really do have the most pathetic sense of humor, it’s wild how lame the jokes and memes that your side come up with are.

It would be a complement to call these dad jokes. They are more like, the third cousin that was a byproduct of inbreeding’s jokes.

You guys make even Dennis Miller or the half hour news hour look funny by comparison.