What Is NPC, the Pro-Trump Internet’s New Favorite Insult?

Mar 6, 2018
Something to the effect of "If you don't listen to KG, you are a nazi"
Thanks for the explanation. You know, I own hardcover copies of both her book and Trump's book, both of which I got before either of them were all that political. Trump I admired when I was much younger from his interviews and such, and Griffin I liked because she made fun of reality television, which I hated. I've seen many of her old stand up specials. Now I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Trump or Griffin. I wonder how many people would fit into a venn diagram of those categories.

Last edited:
May 9, 2016
This NPC meme is spot on. Perfectly fits every liberal I know including some family members.
I still consider myself a liberal, or on the little bit of room for reasonable people on the left anyways, and I like the NPC meme. I think it gets to the core of the non-conversation with dogmatic people, particularly the illiberal left (SJWs and such) who think words and ideas they don't like are violence.
It's a fun ad hominum attack that at least gets you to stalemate against the haymaker accusations of racism/facsism/white supremacy, and doesn't have the poorly thought out elements of 'cuck' and 'soyboy'.

I also think that's where the line should be drawn: dogmatic, dichotomous thinking Not pro/anti-Trump, right/left, etc. It doesn't work if it can't be equally applied to people who's 'dialogue' is ultimately exhaustible.

I think it should be developed into an SJW/alt-right Turing Test.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/23/17991274/npc-meme-4chan-press-coverage-viral

Last week, The New York Times published a piece about an insular 4chan meme that had started to bleed over into political Twitter. At the time, NPC — an acronym for the gaming term “non-playable character” — had been weaponized by trolls in an attempt to “own the libs” by calling them automatons, but it was still a relatively niche meme very few outlets had touched.
It's fascinating to me that they frame what is literally just a dumb joke as "a weaponized term". A joke is a weapon.
They really do view wrongthink as violence against their fragile minds.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Or it’s just funny coz it’s true.

I’m not American or a Trump fanboy. I’m just normal.
Same. I just find the NPC meme hilarious because the same fools who spent 2 years mindlessly calling their political opponents Russian bots are now upset over a meme comparing them to mindless robots. All of the best jokes are grounded in truth. That’s why it’s so funny.

Jul 5, 2018
To me its just funny watch one side think that only the other side is the NPC when all these conversations go the same exact way because both parties keep saying the same exact thing....This meme has brought me ton of value.

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
To me its just funny watch one side think that only the other side is the NPC when all these conversations go the same exact way because both parties keep saying the same exact thing....This meme has brought me ton of value.
When Trump supporters were called bots, they didn't try to get every tweet or account ever associated with the term banned. The left cannot take it's own joke, and that's really what is funny here.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018
Theirs always more than what you think happened...Dumbing things down to make it sound like 1 side did something cause they are stupid...well thats kinda like saying voting for Trump is stupid isn't it?

Life isn't that simple.

when you try to make a gotcha like "the left is dumb cause x" it just sounds try-hardish
Likewise when they try to the same it just looks even dumber...but instead of capitalizing on their mistake...you once again make the same mistake.

Basically its like watching 2 stupid people fighting so badly that they are more of a threat to themselves then the other.

Jun 17, 2004
USA
Hell, Twitter specifically changed their rules regarding 'dehumanizing speech' in response to the NPC meme.
wow, this is some grade A bullshit

Do you honestly believe Twitter's focus was on the NPC meme when they wanted to properly handle dehumanizing speech, rather than the fact that their TOS allows blatant dehumanization as long as it's not targeted? Nobody is offended by the NPC meme. In the case of the massive Twitter NPC account bans, the people reporting the meme were annoyed by bots and fake accounts flooding them with spam, not crying because their feelings were hurt

Twitter banned 1,500 NPC spam accounts on October 17th. Twitter's 'dehumanizing' speech changes were (and I believe are) still not live. Twitter did not need changes to their TOS to ban thousands of troll accounts co-opting their service

Twitter's dehumanizing speech changes are the result of discussions after Twitter was blasted for being the only service not to ban Alex Jones. Alex Jones was not breaking their TOS, and they were re-assessing their TOS in light of other services. They began discussing the policy in early August:

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/11/17660902/twitter-dehumanizing-speech-policy-alex-jones

The NPC meme did not pick up steam in any way that Twitter execs would have noticed it until October:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/us/politics/npc-twitter-ban.html

As has been discussed here before, Twitter desperately needed an overhaul of their TOS, because their current TOS protects those who are abusive as long as they are not targeting another user directly. They still have not made the final changes to the TOS

feels over facts again from you people... I 'feel' that Twitter changed their rules in response to the NPC meme because I 'feel' the NPC meme is so cool and the libs are so lame and I 'feel' that Twitter is teh bias. Keep 'em coming

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Do you honestly believe Twitter's focus was on the NPC meme when they wanted to properly handle dehumanizing speech, rather than the fact that their TOS allows blatant dehumanization as long as it's not targeted? Nobody is offended by the NPC meme. In the case of the massive Twitter NPC account bans, the people reporting the meme were annoyed by bots and fake accounts flooding them with spam, not crying because their feelings were hurt

Twitter banned 1,500 NPC spam accounts on October 17th. Twitter's 'dehumanizing' speech changes were (and I believe are) still not live. Twitter did not need changes to their TOS to ban thousands of troll accounts co-opting their service

Twitter's dehumanizing speech changes are the result of discussions after Twitter was blasted for being the only service not to ban Alex Jones. Alex Jones was not breaking their TOS, and they were re-assessing their TOS in light of other services. They began discussing the policy in early August:

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/11/17660902/twitter-dehumanizing-speech-policy-alex-jones

The NPC meme did not pick up steam in any way that Twitter execs would have noticed it until October:

As has been discussed here before, Twitter desperately needed an overhaul of their TOS, because their current TOS protects those who are abusive as long as they are not targeting another user directly. They still have not made the final changes to the TOS

feels over facts again from you people... I 'feel' that Twitter changed their rules in response to the NPC meme because I 'feel' the NPC meme is so cool and the libs are so lame. Keep 'em coming
You can’t call “grade A bullshit” then in the very next paragraph claim that nobody is offended by the NPC meme. That is demonstrably untrue, otherwise the Verge, NYT, and all of the other lefty outlets wouldn’t be writing their grievance takedowns of it.

Oct 1, 2006

I don't see Twitter banning any of the Blue Checkmarks for using "bot" to dismiss criticism, and that is exactly the same thing.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
I don't see Twitter banning any of the Blue Checkmarks for using "bot" to dismiss criticism, and that is exactly the same thing.
You're talking to the forums resident Google/Facebook/Twitter apologist. They can do no wrong. Fact, and he'll prove it with wall-o-text waffle. He knows these people, they're good people. All of them. Now sit down, shut up and listen and believe. 2+2 = 5. citizen.

Jun 20, 2018
The timing of the NPC account mass ban which NO didt not just hit 4chan users or bots but genuine accounts that found it funny as well, combined with the timing of the "hurr suddenly new rules dehumanizing baaad" and this combined with the FACT that for over 2years now republicans have been called russia bots with NO reaction or response from twitter tells you everything you need to know.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018

feels over facts again from you people... I 'feel' that Twitter changed their rules in response to the NPC meme because I 'feel' the NPC meme is so cool and the libs are so lame and I 'feel' that Twitter is teh bias. Keep 'em coming

99% of Twitter users are NPC's both right and left wing. They had to get rid of it and will justify it with this new rule change. They allow all sorts of dehumanizing language but can't take a joke that hits directly at their base user.