• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Call of Duty?

What is your favorite Call of Duty game?

• Call of Duty

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • Call of Duty 2

Votes: 32 11.5%
  • Call of Duty 3

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Votes: 103 36.9%
  • Call of Duty: World at War

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Votes: 50 17.9%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Call of Duty: WWII

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Votes: 39 14.0%
  • Call of Duty: Warzone

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

• Total voters
i hate to be that guy, but the game took a nosedive when it became popular.

I played a ton of COD 2. Cod 3 and world at war weren't offensive. But what was it, COD4? was that the one that all of a sudden blew up and launched this franchise to the stratosphere? I just remember playing it and thinking, This doesn't feel like Call of Duty. This isn't the COD game i remember. So i bounced off and basically never played COD again unless forced to do so. I did enjoy some of the first Black OPS. and the Battle ROyale mode in a couple years ago, before warzone

For me the best campaign is Black Ops, the way it connected with World at War was awesome. The best multiplayer was MW2, you could have a great class using any weapon type and there were a bunch of ways to make your class OP. Except the first few weeks with the akimbo Model shotguns 😂😂

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Modern Warfare 2 and it's not even close. Great campaign, Amazing Spec Ops co-op mode, Fantastic multiplayer with great maps.

Knightime_X

Modern Warfare 2 is the only correct answer.
So correct that Activision was too scared to remaster the multiplayer aspect of MW2 because it would outright dominate the player base.

Sleepwalker

World at war and black ops 1 probably the two I spent most time and had the most fun with.

Campaign wise the one where you get to kill kevin spacey lol

call-of-duty-united-offensive-pc.jpg

I know that is an expansion pack of COD 1 but for me this one is my favorite so far. So many good memories of me playing with friends and even my dad was a member of my team back in the day. playing matches of CTF against other teams all night was soooo good! :)

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Call of Duty 4 : Modern warfare.

The rest of the series is a piece of crap for me.

No emotional Story... the same fucking engine or at least the last ones are slighty different, The combat for me is exaggerated and Boring.

The same History..... " Good guys vs the evil world"....

No tactical real time combat.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Tough question, but I say Infinite Warfare because it got a lot of undeserved hate despite having one of the best campaigns ever.

HTK

Banned
Call of Duty: Black Ops II was pinnacle.

Great:
- Multiplayer
- Zombies
- League Play

MW2 was too broken for me to rate it above Bops 2. Modern Warfare 2019 and Call of Duty: Ghost were by far the worst Call of Duty games I've played.

Fbh

Where is Duty Calls!?!?

Seriously though I think MW1 is definitely the most significant and influential one. Played through the remaster last year and it still holds up really well.
I'm in the minority but I also really enjoyed Black Ops 3, loved being able to play the campaign in Coop and I like the fast wall running multiplayer.

Paasei

CoD4 (promod) followed closely by CoD2. Coming from a PC competitive player, that is.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I voted 2 and 4.

2 gor personal reasons, was a great time for me and the mates i met online through Medal of Honor Rising sun online and Halo 2, great mandem, top boys and at least still chat with a few although we dont game together sadly but hopefully that changes sometime.
We played on 360, was our crossover game to 360 after playing Halo 2 for ages, good game with even better people.

Cod4, although not my best (black ops 1 for me), i respect the impact and change it had for FPS online shooters, like Halo 1 did originaly for FPS on console Cod4 took it up a notch with what it could do for the mtiplayer console shooter.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I put Cold War, mainly because I don't care but pragmatically speaking if I was going to go play COD now, it'd be that one.

Last edited:

PsyEd

For me it's only CoD4.. I was like wtf is this...SP kicks all kinda asses and MP is even more awesome. And then managing to stay alive and calling in attack chopper....pure bliss. In my books it has the best MP maps....all of them. This was the first time I got the game on X360, followed by PC and PS3....had to play it will all my friends on all platforms.

MW 2019 has the best gunplay of them all and feels so good to play. Sucks that most the MP maps were terrible were I only wanted to either play shoot house or blow off steam on shipment.

Cold War was so lacking and just dropped off playing it in season 2.
Bro, 24x7 Shoot the Ship was fucking amazing. So much fun to kick back to a couple games after a hard days work.

CitizenZ

Banned
Dont know if i could ever pick one, so many good moments and missions. And beating all of them on veteran, I think WaW and CoD4 hold special slots as nothing comes close to the anger it made me feel outside watching or reading fake news.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Since 2003, Call of Duty has had over 19 mainline titles including juggernauts like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Warzone and the Call of Duty Black Ops series. In no order, here’s our pick for ten of the series’ best.

The Call of Duty franchise has seen multiple critical success Over the last 18 years. From the renowned Black Ops series to Warzone, fans have returned year after year to experience a core staple in fps gaming.

In this video, Richie goes through the series to comb out some of the best, most memorable titles that stand out amongst the sea of Call of Duty titles. From humble beginnings with World War 2 games, to the popular modern setting, these picks are undeniably Call of Duty at its finest.

With Warzone’s new pacific map coming soon, stay tuned to GameSpot for continued coverage of all things Call of Duty.
Eddie wrote up a best cod games listicle for us to make eventually.

nikos

Warzone, easily. I've purchased a bunch of CoD games since the beginning and was never able to really get into them. Warzone has pretty much been my main game since it released.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I voted Call of Duty 2 and Black Ops 1. I played the campaign of CoD2 a lot and Black Ops was the complete package - Campaign, Zombies and Multiplayer. Great maps and the zombies was better than Tranzit from BlOps2.

carlosrox

Banned
Easily BO1, 2, and WZ.

MW1 and 2 were also pretty great for the time. And obviously COD1 deserves credit as well.

But that's trying to give them all credit. WZ shouldn't count the same way since it's just MP. For me, overall BO1 and 2 were the best I played since I loved not only the MP to death, but I enjoyed the solo as well more than the others.

Ps. I definitely haven't played every single game in the series though. Haven't played MW19, IW, BO3, BOCW, and a few others.

Soulja

I honestly couldn't choose one. I loved the very first call of duty but I also have very find memories of playing mw 1/2/3 and blops 1/2.

Neolombax

MW2019 I think is the best feeling one out of them all. I love the look of it, the controls, the pace, the maps and the campaign. I'm also very fond of Infinite Warfare for its amazing single player portion and the weapons.

Superwave

Banned
Never liked any BLOPS they just weren't fun to play.

In order MW1, MW3, MW2. The MW reboot was great too, the rest are kind of bad.

Cold War was total trash and I didn't play advanced/future/space ones.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I bought them every year usually, but after MW2019 the franchise peaked and I never cared about buying cod after that.

I got pissed over they finally made the perfect cod nd ditched it.

Top Bottom