• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is The Best Thing About Disney Star Wars?

I know there's a lot of negativity surrounding Star Wars ever since Disney acquired it.

But here's a chance what you like or love about it.

I know a lot of people like The Mandalorian for instance.

My favorite things about Star Wars since Disney bought it would be Jedi Fallen Order and bringing back Palpatine.

I also do admire that they are at least trying to create a canon expanded universe so that even the video games like Fallen Order are canonical. Even when SW was under Lucasfilm, the EU wasn't full canon and more in a gray area.

Please note I still haven't seen Solo or The Mandalorian yet so I don't have opinions on either yet.

Yeah, them putting a better moving-forwards emphasis on canon is it for me. I loved the old EU, but understand how unwieldy it had gotten over time.

Hopefully they can do a better job with it moving forward. It'll be interesting to see how they approach advancing time up to the Sequel Trilogy. Are they going to go right up to it? Or leave some empty space to our imaginations? I feel like either way runs some risk.

Rebels was really good too. I liked Solo, Rogue One, Mandalorian, and most of TFA/TROS and a little bit of TLJ.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Outside of being an "I understood that reference movie" Rogue One took a minor plot concept and expanded upon it creating the best movie Disney has to offer from their 4 Billion deal.

Jyn Erso may be a daddies girl but at least she's determined, headstrong and flawed. Also when Cassian first appeared and shot that dude without second thought I knew this movie wasn't fucking about.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
They finally made people see the prequels as flawed, but fun and entertaining movies. As a fan, but one who always sensibly criticized them, it’s so nice to see the rhetoric turn from TDS levels of screeching, to thoughtful discussion on what they did well, and didn’t.

Also the third act of Force Awakens. The first two are a little forgettable, but I think the movie really hits it’s stride here, and feels unmistakably Star Wars. Han/Kylo’s confrontation, the awesome lightsaber battle, and just that Kylo is a really unique villain, all work extremely well.

Throw in an gorgeous ending scene with a Luke cameo, and you begin to understand why people were so excited for this trilogy at the time.

Outside of being an "I understood that reference movie" Rogue One took a minor plot concept and expanded upon it creating the best movie Disney has to offer from their 4 Billion deal.

Jyn Erso may be a daddies girl but at least she's determined, headstrong and flawed. Also when Cassian first appeared and shot that dude without second thought I knew this movie wasn't fucking about.
I'm actually one of the few people who didn't care all that much for Rogue One.

Granted it was a good, well made movie but imo not a good SW movie. If there was any SW movie that did not feel like SW to me, it was this one.

The characters were so bland and to me that is almost criminal for a SW film. And except for the Scarif ground assault, it was boring.

However I did like both Asian guys and the Imperial droid.

I get that they were going for a more mature, serious war movie here. I guess it's decent for a side story but if I wanted a more adult, more serious Star Wars I'd play the ultimately superior KOTOR games.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t get the praise either, Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura

I love the first half of Rogue One, no small thanks to the worldbuilding. Had that continued, it actually would have been one of my favorite Star Wars movies.

Instead, we hit the second half, and the main character and movie become completely different. I get that there was a twist, but Jyn is unrecognizable to an inexplicable level; a completely different, boring character. It’d be like Han Solo suddenly becoming an endlessly positive, all-about-the-Rebel-mission caricature, halfway through A New Hope.

From there on, the movie also seems to lose its character, feeling more like a bland Marvel finale — lots of stuff going on; not much of it meaningful — and killing off the entire cast in contrived hero moments for cheap emotional impact... which it doesn’t land.

It really feels like those infamous extensive reshoots were to shape the second half of this movie into something safer and more blockbuster-friendly. I’d be interested in seeing the original cut.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked that they stopped being taboo about the extended universe. There was so much more than just the movies or the approved cartoons. It's nice to see them branching out.

Teletraan1

Banned
The lady with the big nose who nobody off the top of their heads could tell you what her name is. I really connected with this character because she gave a voice to all of the people with big noses that nobody cares to remember their names. When she was kissing that other person I felt like I could love too. It really helped to normalize huge noses by seeing someone who looks like you on the big screen. I went with a bunch of big nosed people whose names escape me at the moment to a release day showing of the movie, I may not remember their names but their smiles whenever whats her face came on screen are indelible in my hippocampus.

The lady with the big nose who nobody off the top of their heads could tell you what her name is. I really connected with this character because she gave a voice to all of the people with big noses that nobody cares to remember their names. When she was kissing that other person I felt like I could love too. It really helped to normalize huge noses by seeing someone who looks like you on the big screen. I went with a bunch of big nosed people whose names escape me at the moment to a release day showing of the movie, I may not remember their names but their smiles whenever whats her face came on screen are indelible in my hippocampus.
I felt represented because.... I have a big nose.

But then again so does Adam Driver and I feel more represented by him since I'm a male.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
My grandfather took my dad to go see the originals when they came out, and my dad took me to see the prequels. The sequel trilogy didn't click with me everytime, but I'll always be appreciative of them for allowing me to take both my grandfather and dad to go see them and continue the tradition.

Hopefully they don't hate me for it lol.

The soundtrack is still good. I also think that if you look at the First Order stormtrooper helmets/armor, they definitely look like a natural evolution of the OG stormtrooper helmet. I also like the black TIE Fighters.

Anime style force powers
If there is one thing I admittedly like about TLJ was the introduction of new Force powers.

Ngl but I got tired of the same Force abilities in every movie. I know a lot of people didn't like the whole translocation and astral projection/image projection powers but I was down with it as well as....

our first movie canon appearance of Force Drain or Essence Drain by Palpatine in Rise of Skywalker.

Look, I thought TLJ was the worst of the mainline appearances but if there is one thing I could commend Rian Johnson on is showing us a couple of cool, new abilities. I hope we see more new Force powers in future movies.

Kagey K

Banned
I’d have to say for me the ability for Marvel to run with it in comic books is the best thing that came from Disney getting SW. I haven’t seen any of the sequel stuff or Solo or Rogue One.

We have been watching the older stuff in D+ and just have Revenge of the Sith left before I start getting into new territory with my son. He wants to finish them all and then go see Rise of the Skywalker before he goes back to school.

of the 5 we’ve watched his fav is Return of the Jedi, and I think I agree. I always go back and forth between Empire and Jedi, but I’m pretty sure Jedi barely wins.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The Mandalorian easily. It's the best Star Wars media I've seen in years. Better than the prequels or the sequel trilogy. Jon Favreau managed to save the franchise with this show after how the bungled the movies.

Hopefully they've learnt the hard lessons of what works and what doesn't and make better content moving forward.

PanzerAzel

As for the ST, the cinematography, music, and I appreciate how the saber fights have turned away from the prequel’s over choreographed dances to more old school duels. Found all the actors capable as well. They’d be great movies if the writing weren’t shit.

Also feel to be in the minority, but Rogue One’s legit. Don’t understand the dislike for it. Don’t care for the Mandalorian.

Last edited:
As for the ST, the cinematography, music, and I appreciate how the saber fights have turned away from the prequel’s over choreographed dances to more old school duels. Found all the actors capable as well. They’d be great movies if the writing weren’t shit.

Also feel to be in the minority, but Rogue One’s legit. Don’t understand the dislike for it. Don’t care for the Mandalorian.
I don't dislike Rogue One. I've seen it maybe four times now. It's a very well made movie with a great final ground battle that might be SW best ground fight between normie soldiers and Imperials.

It's just to me everything before that feels too dry and dour that it doesn't feel like a SW movie to me.

But plenty of fans seem to like it so I'm in the minority I guess.

Does make long to see Solo.

PanzerAzel

I don't dislike Rogue One. I've seen it maybe four times now. It's a very well made movie with a great final ground battle that might be SW best ground fight between normie soldiers and Imperials.

It's just to me everything before that feels too dry and dour that it doesn't feel like a SW movie to me.

But plenty of fans seem to like it so I'm in the minority I guess.

Does make long to see Solo.
I don’t know I always feel in the minority for liking RO but maybe I’m just noticing all the negativity more. 🤷🏾

Good luck with Solo. I’ve tried to make my way through it three times now, fell asleep every single time.

Kagey K

Banned
I don’t know I always feel in the minority for liking RO but maybe I’m just noticing all the negativity more. 🤷🏾

Good luck with Solo. I’ve tried to make my way through it three times now, fell asleep every single time.
That sounds like me and 2006 hulk. I hope it’s not really that bad.

PrCat88

Adam Driver. Pedro Pascal rocks as The Mandalorian, but he already established himself beforehand. So, at least the sequel trilogy did something right.

Yoda

I enjoyed most of the Mandolorian.

Aside from that, it's made me regret being such a douchebag when discussing the state of the franchise when George Lucas had the reins. Aside from ep3 I still don't like the prequels, but at least those movies tried to tell a coherent story. We also had amazing non-movie content. The EU was in full force and an assortment amazing video games (JK2, JK3, KotoR, KotoR2, PreCU SWG). I don't know if I could convince my former self I was living at the peak of the franchise >.>

Super Mario

Banned
Aside, from virtue signaling and TLJ, Disney Star Wars has been enjoyable.

I think my favorite thing so far has been Mandalorian. It proves that we can get more Star Wars than we ever imagined, and love it.

If Disney continues their effort to make more tv series, instead of movies every 1-2 years. The Old Republic, Obi-Wan, Vader series would have more potential for improvements in story telling than cramming everything into 2 1/2 hour movies. Stop trying to make every property a 2 Billion toy line dispenser. But that’s my 2 cents....

Handel

Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is an amazing villain/antagonist, with way more presence than any other villain in the series. A very interesting take where a dark side user is being pulled to the light, and try as he does to kill all light within him he can't. He also has my favorite fighting style in the series, very raw and aggressive like a caged animal. Adam Driver is an extremely talented actor that makes the character work.

Despite not getting as good an ending as he deserved, still one of my all time favorite villains.

thequestion

3rd act of Rogue One, Mando, and the main cast for the new trilogy. Unfortunately, the new trilogy didn’t use all the new, main characters to their full potential, but they had amazing chemistry, together - and Adam Driver - wow! After watching ROS... he had so much more to give to the role, to the trilogy, if the writers had a cohesive plan from the start.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I honestly forgot Disney owns Star Wars I just feel like Star Wars will be Star Wars no matter who the owner is, wouldn't you say their owner is meaningless? We don't know the full impact of Disney owning Stars until 5-10+ years down the road IMO

Top Bottom