• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is The Best Thing About Disney Star Wars?

Christopher

Being able to take my kids to the movies to see a new Star Wars film since my dad took me....and he died last year so it’s kinda cool that I can relive something with my kids.

kids like Kylo Ren but think Darth Maul can kill him...head this debate in my car for 20 mins lol

Blade2.0

I think TLJ is great and don't get all the hate. I like it more than TFA and RoS, anyways. Canto bight sucks, tho.

Also Rebels was really good, and while not as good as Clone Wars had some of my favorite interactions in all of SW. Asohka reuniting with Anakin, all of Maul's arc, especially the tatooine finish. Man that show had some damn good arcs.

Also, there's just something about SW that draws me in more than Marvel or DC. Even when I hate the material I'm watching (PM and AOTC especially) I still love being in this universe. Just the visuals to the lightsabers to the eternal good v evil power struggle I just fucking love it. I have ever since watching my eldest brother's VHS's and I think Dave Filoni should be the head going forward and not KK. He's better at keeping everything together, I feel.

But now I'm rambling. I just want to say, I don't want this universe to go on hiatus for 10 years again. I love star wars and I want more. And unlike most of you here I actually do want the Rian Johnson trilogy made. I think if he gets to do what he wants divorced from the main Skywalker story, people will love it.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Only good thing about Disney owning Star Wars is limitless cash to get things made.
Hopefully the things they make will one day be good. The Mandalorian being the exception.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Beating a dead horse is not a fun thing to watch honestly.

badblue

Baby Yoda is the best thing from Disney Star Wars, simply because the bar is that low after some of their other offerings.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I do look back on Empire Strikes Back fondly. I just remember it as having the least amount of filler and the best character moments.

I also think that, on paper, Finn was one of the most interesting things in any of the movies. A stormtrooper that has a conscience, defies direct orders, knows he's going to be found out, escapes, and joins the resistance. They could have played his storyline out so well, but it ended up flopping harder than a gender-swap movie remake.

Last edited:

dan76

The Mandalorian, it's great.

All the movies have been kind of crappy. I don't get the love for Rogue One. It a mess, the start is all over the place, gets it together in the middle but the ending is pants. It's a good fan film I suppose, but it's really amateurish.

All these films are weirdly overly complicated and dumb at the same time. For me the Prequels are still awful, I don't know how anyone can watch them, they're so dull and humourless. These Disney films have not elevated the PT in any way. What they have done is simply highlight how lucky Lucas was in making those three original films. Man, he caught lightening in a bottle at least twice.

Apart from the Mandalorian, Disney has at least tried to bring some energy and humour back to Star Wars. Plus the "Chewey, we're home" trailer touched on the kind of excitement the OT gave back in the day.

Last edited:
David Fincher's leaked conversation with Amy Pascal (start at the bottom):

bXyuck3.jpg

The Mandalorian, it's great.

All the movies have been kind of crappy. I don't get the love for Rogue One. It a mess, the start is all over the place, gets it together in the middle but the ending is pants. It's a good fan film I suppose, but it's really amateurish.

All these films are weirdly overly complicated and dumb at the same time. For me the Prequels are still awful, I don't know how anyone can watch them, they're so dull and humourless. These Disney films have not elevated the PT in any way. What they have done is simply highlight how lucky Lucas was in making those three original films. Man, he caught lightening in a bottle at least twice.

Apart from the Mandalorian, Disney has at least tried to bring some energy and humour back to Star Wars. Plus the "Chewey, we're home" trailer touched on the kind of excitement the OT gave back in the day.
I recently watched the PT again and I really enjoyed them, much more than the ST sans maybe ROS.

I kinda wish they'd do another SW with visuals like the prequels only with modern fx.

At least Lucas gave us something different and really beautiful new planets and droids and all. It was different enough but still felt like Star Wars.

Disney just rides on the coat tails of the originals.

Last edited:

gatti-man

The production values, the return of practical effects and not just cheap green screen.

Disney+ and actual 4k versions of Star Wars which Fox just sat on.

Spokker

The theme park rides. They've spared no expense, so if you happen to be into DisneyWars, the two new rides will please you.

The Star Wars fan in me finds them a bit soulless, but the theme park fan in me is amazed.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Getting rid of Lucas, the prequels were the biggest disappointment I have had in entertainment. At least I feel like I am actually paying to see a movie when I go to see star wars now, rather than paying residuals on the original trilogy.
Massive investment in new movies, shows etc. Everything has been at least serviceable as far as I am concerned so far, and there have been some stand out moments.

GV82

That I under appreciated not only the old Star Wars EU, but also Lucas Arts & whoever else put out Star Wars games back before the sale.

Because now everything has to be passed through story group to scuntinise the small details to make sure it all links together in Cannon, which to be honest sucks more than just allowing complete creative freedom I think, Ironic then that by attempting to force everything to be Cannon it has actually stifled the damn thing, sure it has it’s decent moments but really not everything has to make sense that now I have to wait for the comic or novel to fill me in on the missing piece of the puzzle, I feel the new EU should be complimentary and not mandatory to the main thing. Like if I don’t read all the books & see all the movies & Play all the games then I don’t know the story, at least with the MCU irks only the movies (at the moment, with a few other bits here & there)

We have lost out on a few interesting games in the sale to Disney for example that Darth Maul one and Battlefront 3 (where they were going to offer alt versions of all the characters, the good had bad alts and vice versa, e.g Evil Obi Wan Kenobi and Good Darth Vader) 1313 was another one, is it possible because their stories didn’t make sense to Cannon they got axed?

V4skunk

Banned
FA was not bad and set up a lot of stuff that could have been awesome.
For instance, Snoke is very intimidating in FA yet thrown away as a weakling in TLJ.
There was huge potential for Rey to turn to the darkside setting up an entire new trilogy with Kylo redeeming her. Could have done more with Palpatine or just left him dead {have Snoke}.
Snoke could have been Darth Plagueis.
Could have had Luke as a superpowerful god force user like in the EU.
Can go on and on.....

sol_bad

As I'm sure you're all aware I have enjoyed everything that Disney has released, the 5 movies, Mandalorian and the Rebels show has been enjoyable so far, only on season 1 though.
I never read the old EU Legends content as Lucas always disregarded. If it wasn't worthy of his attention than it wasn't worthy of mine. I know that might be a weird way to think but ah well. Now that the new EU is actually a part of the cannon I am interested. I have loved all the comics that I've read and love Doctor Aphra. I'm about to buy the audio book for Master and Apprentice as well and will listen to that soon.

HoodWinked

Rogue One was such a gift

the space battle was exceptional the scene was actually well thought out (an incredibly rare fluke) so there was actual strategy and stakes, it makes the whole thing a delight to witness and not just random illogical space bullshit like in RoS where its hundreds of star destroyers vs a dozen ships and nonsensical events occurring like space goats running on top of a destroyer, palpatine being able to disable all the resistance ships but not just simply destroying them, having this magic beacon shit its pure utter garbage in comparison.

...also mandalorian is decent

Last edited:

Romulus

Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is an amazing villain/antagonist, with way more presence than any other villain in the series. A very interesting take where a dark side user is being pulled to the light, and try as he does to kill all light within him he can't. He also has my favorite fighting style in the series, very raw and aggressive like a caged animal. Adam Driver is an extremely talented actor that makes the character work.

Despite not getting as good an ending as he deserved, still one of my all time favorite villains.

I thought he was a believble villain in that he comes off as transparent, awkward, and incapable often times with the overcompensating anger.

Last edited:

gioGAF

I actually enjoyed The Force Awakens. They introduced new characters that were not only interesting, but played by good actors. The entire movie is replete with great moments for me as a fan of the originals. Rey and Finn adventuring together with Han and Chewie was great stuff. Updated X-wing combat, light saber effects and combat, force powers, all great.

TFA was lazy, but the foundation would have been fine by me, until TLJ shit all over everything. About the only thing I will remember as a positive from this "trilogy" is Rey.

As I'm sure you're all aware I have enjoyed everything that Disney has released, the 5 movies, Mandalorian and the Rebels show has been enjoyable so far, only on season 1 though.
I never read the old EU Legends content as Lucas always disregarded. If it wasn't worthy of his attention than it wasn't worthy of mine. I know that might be a weird way to think but ah well. Now that the new EU is actually a part of the cannon I am interested. I have loved all the comics that I've read and love Doctor Aphra. I'm about to buy the audio book for Master and Apprentice as well and will listen to that soon.
Normally I don't agree with you regarding Star Wars but here you're correct to a degree. The EU was never set in stone canon. It was gray area at best with Lucas saying "yeah sure you can do this with the Star Wars license" with people confusing that as canon.

Only exception may be Force Unleashed which Lucas was more involved with than normal EU stuff.

Regarding Doctor Aphra, I heard she might be getting an animated series or something.

prag16

Banned
I never read the old EU Legends content as Lucas always disregarded. If it wasn't worthy of his attention than it wasn't worthy of mine. I know that might be a weird way to think but ah well.
That's indeed an odd way to look at it. ALl that EU content had more Lucas approval than anything 2013 and on. What would have been really interesting, would be to see what Lucas would have done with his version of the ST. I'd imagine he would have had to override a lot of the post ROTJ content. For as much as I enjoyed much of it (I must have read almost 100 of the EU novels over the years), it did get pretty messy after a while.

I go back and forth on this. I loved Fallen Order, The Mandalorian, and Rogue One, with Solo a step down from there. All this stuff feels pretty grounded in the foundation of the franchise, but on the other side of the ledger, the ST was so badly mismanaged, and feels very fan-fiction-y (and not even good fan fiction). But with the existence of the former crop of content, I'm glad KK has not yet succeeded in her apparent goal of dragging the entire franchise down into the abyss. Hoping for a solid new direction on the big screen with whatever they bring us in 2022. And I'm pumped for the Obi Wan series (2021?) and Mandalorian season 2.

Handel

Currently John Boyega giving no fucks right now is gold.
Dudes salty he was good for nothing but screaming Rey and yelling whoop as he killed his fellow indoctrinated storm troopers. Shit on TLJ's arc for Finn, only to have even less to do in TROS :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i agree w people saying the drama surrounding the movie has been the most interesting thing. the movies themselves are decent as isolated things but when placed in the context of a trilogy it's a disaster.

these movies are a good example of what not to do and will be studied by film classes in the future for that reason. TLJ is already being used in an academic sense to teach bad screenwriting at Columbia University. these films are a great example of what not to do.

Last edited:
I love the Mandalorian. Best (and the only existing now) Star Wars for me.

That said I think they really had something going with Adam Driver as Kylo in TFA.
They just completely messed it up.

Also, the Prequels are still shit. So it's not like we really lost something.

1). The Last Jedi
2). The Mandalorian
3). Rogue One
4). The Force Awakens
5). The Rise Of Skywalker
6). Solo
666). Whiny "Reylo" cunts
999). JJ backtracking himself in the editing room while on copious amounts of cocaine

Gargus

Banned
Mandalorian is the best thing.

I just hope season 2 isnt just more of the same allover again. Going from place to place, solving someone's problem, doing it again, then facing off against a bigger threat which is a lead in for the next season. I liked it but I just hope it doesnt end up being an endless loop they continue until people get bored of the show and it just ends. I'm hoping they have an endgame for the series where it ends before it gets to the point they have to end it. I'd rather see it be 2 or 3 seasons and have a really good ending instead of just wandering around for 7 or 8 seasons dragging itself out.

And I like that it made the Lucas prequels seem better. I always kind of liked them. Yeah the gungans and the junk ship dealer guy were annoying characters, and young anakin was so sacrine and sweet I fucking hated him and the acting was pretty stiff for older anakin and amidala but all in all those movies weren't too bad. And certainly even phantom menace was better than the last trilogy combined.

I just hope they make the next trilogy off something like xar Kun or some story from way back and cut ties to all the current shit instead of trying to beat the dead horse of nostalgia. Mandalorian has shown the star wars universe is better when you stop trying to jerk off the original trilogy and just explore the universe.

i agree w people saying the drama surrounding the movie has been the most interesting thing. the movies themselves are decent as isolated things but when placed in the context of a trilogy it's a disaster.

these movies are a good example of what not to do and will be studied by film classes in the future for that reason. TLJ is already being used in an academic sense to teach bad screenwriting at Columbia University. these films are a great example of what not to do.

Top Bottom