• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the end goal for THQ Nordic?

I don't really understand where THQ Nordic want to fit in the market. They own a huge catalogue of IP and a good deal of internal development and publishing. But what do they want out of gaming? Are they looking to fill the AA gap? Do they want to rise back to a big third party entity? I just don't understand. They have some quality intellectual property and it doesn't seem like they're utilising it properly at all. They're ever expanding but not developing. If I was them, I'd be looking at doing things very differently. I just can't try and figure out what their motivation is and what their end goal is? I mean, they now own TimeSplitters. They could realistically have a very strong line up of content but they seem intent on making smaller titles or remasters. I mean, Darksiders I and II felt like a big deal and the third entry feels like an anime filler season. They brought back the THQ name, which used to be quite substantial. You wouldn't do that without the ambition to go back to being a third party behemoth but I'm not even sure that's what they want to do. I don't get it. I'm happy they can reboot some of my favourite franchises like Summoner and Red Faction but I don't think they have the intention to do so. For a company that's grown so much over the past few years, we really know so little about them.

Helios

They seem to be taking a very slow approach, trying to build good will through remasters and see people's interest in franchises. I imagine that the Darksiders remaster sold quite well and that's why they decided to make a third one.
There are probably also a lot of projects they don't talk about right now, maybe for some of those they are still looking for the perfect developer to tackle them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I assume that like most companies, their "end goal" is to maximize profits.

In their case it looks like they're taking careful consideration not to overstep their limitations. Makes sense considering what happened to THQ and the uDraw tablet fiasco and how it basically sent their entire parent company into a downward spiral.

JCK75

One thing they seem to be doing is pairing IP's they own to small developers who are perfect for the franchise, using mimimi to deliver Desperados 3 was nothing short of a brilliant pairing.

In their case it looks like they're taking careful consideration not to overstep their limitations. Makes sense considering what happened to THQ and the uDraw tablet fiasco and how it basically sent their entire parent company into a downward spiral.

They also know how wrong AA development can go, since they own JoWood and DreamCatcher.

Sentenza

I used to like this publisher and the way it was moving in the market, until few days ago when I've seen what the hell they are doing with the new Jagged Alliance.

Why? WHY? You were supposed to do this series justice, Nordic.

Last edited:

Helios

I used to like this publisher and the way it was moving in the market, until few days ago when I've seen what the hell they are doing with the new Jagged Alliance.

Why? WHY? You were supposed to do this series justice, Nordic.
There's a new Jagged Alliance?

DiscoJer

Buy other companies dead IP
Hire cheap developer to make game based on IP,
Release janky crap sure to annoy fans of IP
Profit

Hudo

Buy EA or EA's IPs eventually and make a new (and good) Ultima, Command & Conquer, Wing Commander and Dead Space...

Blam

I haven't heard another word other thenr remaster from Nordic and that's really dissapointing.

SCB3

They know some of the IPs they're mopping g up can still be valuable and are generally much loved IPs, so why not do something with them, at least they're not cranking out shovelware, I reckon some remasters are going to be coming out, I mean I wouldn't say no to a timesplitters HD collection with updated controls

Mattyp

Gold Member
Remaster Red Faction but not even the best title in the series, who knows what they're thinking personally. Just give me the original Red Faction with online in 4K with the cheaters who ruined the first game after THQ abandoned it removed.

stranno

Remaster Red Faction but not even the best title in the series, who knows what they're thinking personally. Just give me the original Red Faction with online in 4K with the cheaters who ruined the first game after THQ abandoned it removed.
To me Guerrilla is, by far, the best game in the series, the quintessence of destruction in videogames. The first two titles are average shooters at best. Anyway, if you want to play the original one online you should try Purefaction, it was fixed a few months ago for Windows 10 Creators Update+ and it works perfectly fine online, tho IDK if it has any kind of cheating protection.

mad597

Banned
AA gaming, the industry sorely lacks solid AA titles that arent 2d pixel art crap. That why they bought bought the THQ name. After all the studio closures and buy outs it makes sense to have a AA game studio.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
They put out Elex, a game which looks, plays, and was voice acted like something that came out 15 years ago. I don't think they have solid plans about what to do with a name that makes them a worldwide brand. I don't think they quite know what makes a good game honestly.

Stuart360

I cant criticise them, they are a big part of the middle ground 'AA' market. Companies like them (and a few others) have brought back the middle ground AA market instead of having this AAA and Indies divide we have had over recent years. THQ for me have brought us back to the 32bit days when we had a strong AA market of lesser games that often produced little gems, and saved us from the AAA market of the same 6 or 7 games that you had to buy every year or there wouldnt be much to play.

DESTROYA

Try to make money on aging franchises they got a cheap price and there is nothing wrong with that.
I’m actually planning on buying Darksiders 3.

Zewp

They put out Elex, a game which looks, plays, and was voice acted like something that came out 15 years ago. I don't think they have solid plans about what to do with a name that makes them a worldwide brand. I don't think they quite know what makes a good game honestly.

And yet, Elex was one of my favorite games of 2017. ;) The Gothic vibes were completely on point for me. It was a very typical Piranha Bytes game and they've always had a bit of a cult following, no matter how clunky they were.

IMO, they know their market well. They're not trying to be a worldwide brand or compete with AAAs. They're skirting that middle ground. And I, for one, love it. :p

Top Bottom