• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most repetitive grind you've tolerated? (Nay, daresay enjoyed?!?)

Belmonte

FFXI is nuts. Everything is a grind. Even walking is a grind since everything is so far away and your character is very slow. Even on the trial it seemed crazy for me.

Never played Everquest.

Diddy X

Tibia online as a F2P user.
Me and some classmates played it for months but unless you paid, it really was grinding: the videogame.
The game even starts you on a special island where you have to reach a certain level before you can go to the actual game world. Getting out of there alone was probably 30 hours of killing rats and skeletons.... all of it with a combat system that at that point involved no skills or player input beyond moving and casting an occasional healing spell, it also had little to no combat animations.

Despite all of that I have nothing but fond memories of it lol

Sup, mate.

Tibia player since 2004, that game was something else, ever since the beginning it looked bad and it still looks not much better :messenger_grinning_squinting: gameplay wise tho it was king, that PVP was top tier, until they introduced the aimbot :messenger_unamused: it took me like 2 years back in 2005 to reach level 100 with an Elite Knight, now you do that in a month :messenger_loudly_crying: I quit in 2008~ I've played a couple times since then, now, with all the new additions it looks like a very decent game.

About the grinding, yeah it's basically Grinding: The Game since it's the only way you get a substancial amount of EXP.

TLZ

Banned
any leveling up in FF and jrpgs becomes such a chore, the same music, the same enemies, walking in circles over and over and over again. Its such a bad mechanic just to increase playtime. Dont know why I keep loving and playing the genre though, its one of my favorites xD
This pretty much.

Tesseract

Banned
i had a LOT of fun grinding motes in burning crusade with my shadow priest

anybody who messed with my motes was turned to dust

Valonquar

Vanillia Final Fantasy XI at release and the first few years afterward. It....took....days....to....form....an.....exp.....party. The party would last maybe 30 glorious minutes before someone left. You couldn't solo anything at all, and everything wanted to kill you and make you lose a week of xp.

Getting the platinum trophy in bloodborne without doing that online save over write trick and doing the chalice dungeons blind was one of the best gaming experiences i have ever had.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Most Souls/Borne games. I deadass don't mind killing the same enemies over and over for a precious stone or souls to upgrade.

I also got Plat in BB and didn't mind chalice dungeons at all. I enjoyed them and did it with no online help.

Last edited:
Kingdom Hearts 1, I wont leave destiny island until Ive beaten all the kids, also as a group, riku a few times, win that race, then when the heartless show up I run around killing until they no longer spawn anywhere

Tibia online as a F2P user.
Me and some classmates played it for months but unless you paid, it really was grinding: the videogame.
The game even starts you on a special island where you have to reach a certain level before you can go to the actual game world. Getting out of there alone was probably 30 hours of killing rats and skeletons.... all of it with a combat system that at that point involved no skills or player input beyond moving and casting an occasional healing spell, it also had little to no combat animations.

Despite all of that I have nothing but fond memories of it lol

Hahaha it warms my heart to see someone recognizing Tibia. At it's peak everyone in my country (poland) seemed to play this, I still log in to see what have changed from time to time on my Sorcerer (160lvl~). Man it's such an outdated game but I've got lots of great memories playing it with friends and brother together. My brother too was grinding to 50+ lvl killing minos and orcs on rookgaard, tedious as fuck but he liked it :p add to it Open Tibia Servers with war modes and those were happiest days ever hahaha.

Diddy X said:
Tibia player since 2004, that game was something else, ever since the beginning it looked bad and it still looks not much better :messenger_grinning_squinting: gameplay wise tho it was king, that PVP was top tier, until they introduced the aimbot :messenger_unamused: it took me like 2 years back in 2005 to reach level 100 with an Elite Knight, now you do that in a month :messenger_loudly_crying: I quit in 2008~ I've played a couple times since then, now, with all the new additions it looks like a very decent game.

Haha yeah they kinda fuckedup pvp with aimbot, but imo it was inevitable with the way ppl leveled up and were fast as fuck you wouldn't hit them ever with sd without aimbot :p I loved watching guild wars videos from 7.6~ times.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Hahaha it warms my heart to see someone recognizing Tibia. At it's peak everyone in my country (poland) seemed to play this, I still log in to see what have changed from time to time on my Sorcerer (160lvl~). Man it's such an outdated game but I've got lots of great memories playing it with friends and brother together. My brother too was grinding to 50+ lvl killing minos and orcs on rookgaard, tedious as fuck but he liked it :p add to it Open Tibia Servers with war modes and those were happiest days ever hahaha.

Haha yeah they kinda fuckedup pvp with aimbot, but imo it was inevitable with the way ppl leveled up and were fast as fuck you wouldn't hit them ever with sd without aimbot :p I loved watching guild wars videos from 7.6~ times.

Maybe, at the time the top level was 250~, Eternal oblivion if I'm not mistaken, he was fast but nothing crazy, now we have like 100 level 1000 (one thousand) I think I have never seen one of those run but they gotta be really fast so aimbot wouldn't quite work nowadays.

I remember around 2005-2010 was Tibia's peak, I guess everyone played it or atleast knew about the game at Poland, Brazil, Sweden (Pewdiepie played it) Mexico and other countries.

If you like old war videos you have these

https://forums.tibiabr.com/threads/...feito-por-Eternal-Oblivion-e-Quatre-Sandrock)

these are the crème de la crème of Tibia war videos, I'm not sure if the links still work as they are from 2005, the war is from like 2003, you would have to get Tibia version 7.3. I guess if you want to you can get all the stuff needed and enjoy the videos, or maybe you can search them on youtube, but it's better using tibicam.

Last edited:
Maybe, at the time the top level was 250~, Eternal oblivion if I'm not mistaken, he was fast but nothing crazy, now we have like 100 level 1000 (one thousand) I think I have never seen one of those run but they gotta be really fast so aimbot wouldn't quite work nowadays.

I remember around 2005-2010 was Tibia's peak, I guess everyone played it or atleast knew about the game at Poland, Brazil, Sweden (Pewdiepie played it) Mexico and other countries.
Plenty of venezuelans too (atleast on a server where I used to play before merge, vinera). And yes I've watched pewdiepie videos about it, some of these stories were hillarious. I've been victim of carlin/bright sword trick too one day ;(

Diddy X

Plenty of venezuelans too (atleast on a server where I used to play before merge, vinera). And yes I've watched pewdiepie videos about it, some of these stories were hillarious. I've been victim of carlin/bright sword trick too one day ;(

:unsure: what trick is that exactly? we can have something interesting here...

:unsure: what trick is that exactly? we can have something interesting here...
Someone wants to buy bright sword from you? You just went trade with > window pop up > wait a few seconds > cancel trade - "Oops. Missclick". Do it again few times. Guy who is trying to buy it gets impatient after few cancels. Next time you trade with him carlin sword instead of bright which looked almost identical and was WAYYY cheaper. Trade again, this time fast accept. Boom. You just sold carlin sword worth 200gold to some noob for 30k gold ;P

Diddy X

Someone wants to buy bright sword from you? You just went trade with > window pop up > wait a few seconds > cancel trade - "Oops. Missclick". Do it again few times. Guy who is trying to buy it gets impatient after few cancels. Next time you trade with him carlin sword instead of bright which looked almost identical and was WAYYY cheaper. Trade again, this time fast accept. Boom. You just sold carlin sword worth 200gold to some noob for 30k gold ;P

Ohhhhh, you know I fell for that trick once so I decided to take revenge on the world so I tricked like 6 or 7 players :messenger_grinning_sweat: my excuse tho was "sorry I got a virus that closes my trade window so you gotta press accept very quick" sorry, I was just a kid :messenger_beaming:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
FFXI is nuts. Everything is a grind. Even walking is a grind since everything is so far away and your character is very slow. Even on the trial it seemed crazy for me.

Never played Everquest.

I'll never forget my first time as a level 10 trying to get to Bastok from Sandoria. It was like planning a road trip. Making sure I had my gear, reraise earring to mitigate the inevitable death by some bats, a ghoul or some stupid gobbie. Traversing the Dunes for the first time was one of the most mundane yet somehow exciting activities in the game and it was what initially made me fall in love with FFXI. The risk was real. You die, you lose xp and could even delevel, erasing hours of work, forcing you to wear old gear. If you got caught by a mob you couldn't defeat, you had to pray you had enough life to make it to the next zone as that mob would follow you to the ends of the earth...err Vanadiel.

they don't make MMO's like this anymore and it's a damn shame. Even FFXIV has opted for a more WOWish formula. Fuck WOW.

rivv3r

Banned
I'll just say the Final Fantasy X platinum. From dealing with chocobo controls, to grinding out every sphere grid for every character, to countless blitzball games, to capturing 10 of every mob in the game, that shit was downright painful and may have ruined trophy hunting for me altogether.

Sygma

Age of Conan rise of the godslayer, basically. The fucking farm for perks for your character lasted for more than one year straight of hardcore grind

i loved it all.only mmo ive played where a hard mode dungeon took longer to down than raids (basically it took 6 months to clear it lmao). Not a single game after it compared in that department, even in raids in terms of creativity

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
In FF6 I used the moogle charm to climb the cultists tower and Then proceeded to suck all the magic from the boss at the top. It took like over an hour but was able to kill him by depleting his magic entirely and instead of using ultima he just dies. My friends watching were dumbfounded.

sol_bad

The only mass scale grind I have ever done was with Final Fantasy 7 back in high school.
I spent hours in the Sunken Gelnika Plane getting all my materia to Master level.
I don't know why I was so determined to do this and why I found it so fun.

odd_hatch

I find that nearly all game's post-ending sections are poorly done to say the least. They usually rely on very laborious tasks to artificially lengthen the game.

The only game I 100%'d "recently" was Sonic Generations, but maybe it's because I'm a diehard fan.

The other one I almost tried was MGSV, but then I realized what had to be done to collect those S++ soldiers and the amount of resources required to develop late-game weapons.

Teslerum

STAR OCEAN 4 (500 hour platinum at minimum. At least on PS3)

Nuff said

A piece of my sanity may have been lost along the way.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Diablo 3
Wow
Disgaea series
Final fantasy 12
Clicker heroes
Kittens game
Paperclip
Spaceplan
Trimps
Gran turismo 4 and 5 bspec mode
Torchlight 1

Games that need podcasts

stranno

Sephiroth, Young Cloud and Aerith team, using gameshark codes. It was a PITA to level them up. At least Cloud and Aerith, i cant remember if hacked Seph could be leveled.

spookyfish

I honestly and legitimately enjoyed planet mining in Mass Effect 2. Scanning for frequencies; launching probes; getting new elements. It was relaxing to me.

cr0w

Old Member
Farming Adamantite Ore in Terokkar Forest during the early days of TBC to sell in stacks to fund epic flying on my main. It was actually really relaxing, flying around a set route and listening to music for hours on end. I think it took three solid weeks of farming to get enough gold to buy the training and mount.

Belmonte

I'll never forget my first time as a level 10 trying to get to Bastok from Sandoria. It was like planning a road trip. Making sure I had my gear, reraise earring to mitigate the inevitable death by some bats, a ghoul or some stupid gobbie. Traversing the Dunes for the first time was one of the most mundane yet somehow exciting activities in the game and it was what initially made me fall in love with FFXI. The risk was real. You die, you lose xp and could even delevel, erasing hours of work, forcing you to wear old gear. If you got caught by a mob you couldn't defeat, you had to pray you had enough life to make it to the next zone as that mob would follow you to the ends of the earth...err Vanadiel.

they don't make MMO's like this anymore and it's a damn shame. Even FFXIV has opted for a more WOWish formula. Fuck WOW.

I'm glad you liked it, but man, I don't know if it is for me. I like the idea to make a travel to be an adventure which you need to be prepared but I felt there are so many things to slow your progress that the cinic in me couldn't stop feeling like Square did this with the only purpose to make me pay the subscription for as long as they can. I could be wrong since I played only the trial but the feeling was getting stronger as the hours passed.

Farming Adamantite Ore in Terokkar Forest during the early days of TBC to sell in stacks to fund epic flying on my main. It was actually really relaxing, flying around a set route and listening to music for hours on end. I think it took three solid weeks of farming to get enough gold to buy the training and mount.

Oh my I totally forgot about my TBC grinding days too. I wasn't farming ore, but mostly primals (elemental primals I think?). I was in a top 3 PvE guild on my server and was a class officer so that grind was just S I C K.

Top Bottom