• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most successful game that never got a sequel, remake or remaster?

T4keD0wN

Probably, but he specified games released within the last 5 years don't count.
My bad, i see now. I know bloodborne is great and all, but i always assumed it wasnt a big financial success.
The real answer would probably be something akin to Roblox, maybe some Tencent published mobile garbage.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
MGS4 never got a sequel?

Why do people keep asking this? I mentioned MGS4 in the OP as an example of a game that is stuck on old hardware (since it never got rereleased), but I then explicitly asked for examples of standalone games that are in a similar situation.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is something wrong with the GC port?
Justice for Pinta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Worse music.

But no seriously I was just pointing out in case OP says Legends counts as a remake
Not the most successful by a long shot, but the worst offender for dropping the ball on such an amazing franchise, Sega should be ashamed.

-1578999035508.jpg
So true.
A hugely wasted opportunity.

Dorago

For everyone saying Chrono Trigger, it's be remastered/remade no fewer than 3 times. PS1 version, 3DS version, iOS version.

I'll stick with PS3 games that deserve to be played again and I haven't seen mentioned: Ratchet and Clank Future: Crack In Time, the Resistance trilogy, Red Dead 1, the two Armored Core games, and Alice Madness Returns

Shut0wen

Timesplitters 4, i know 3 failed commercially, game was released at the end of ps2 and xbox life cycle, i honestly think a 4th game would get the same success if they ditched traditional fps for perfect dark gameplay and not having a marketing team like EA that made them change the game to the point it wasnt timesplitters

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not sure. I remember hearing that back in the day but I don't think they're connected. Flashback is a great one I pretend doesn't have a sequel or a remake.
It was actually Heart of the Alien sequel to Another World (Out of this World) on the Sega CD.

Yes, Flashback was great as well. So much nostalgia right now lol

* Cool Spot

Cool Spot got a sequal I believe ("Cool Spot goes to Hollywood")

My bad, i see now. I know bloodborne is great and all, but i always assumed it wasnt a big financial success.
The real answer would probably be something akin to Roblox, maybe some Tencent published mobile garbage.

It likely only sold a few million. But given the rules of the thread that might be enough. I suggested Minecraft but apparently we're not counting active live service games, so I assume that rules out Roblox, League of Legends etc.

Not really seeing any better answers. (Except for the guy who said Duck Hunt maybe. But it was a pack in game so not sure if it counts).

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Didn't sell well, but I would LOVE to play Panzer Dragoon Saga remastered. Maybe even remade. But like I said, it didn't sell well. So it's super far fetched.

AmuroChan

Xenogears. The game is episode 5 of a 6-part story. Sadly we'll never get the other 5 games, but I'll take a remake or even remaster at this point.

CamHostage

Cool Spot got a sequal on the Saturn I believe ("Cool Spot goes to Hollywood")

You're right, I remembered there was a follow-up shown in magazines back in the day but I assumed it was vaporware since otherwise I had never seen it. (I didn't think to look up Saturn though, although it was also on PlayStation. Was titled just "Spot Goes to Hollywood".) It was different gameplay (isometric) and not by Shiny, but it was a thing, and there was also a Game Boy Spot game, but that was a license-switched MC Kids port somehow; also an unrelated NES Spot game.)

Last edited:

CGNoire

Full Throttle.....that game totally deserves a sequel....such a huge universe to explore in terms of its story...yet Tim Schafer is like because the lead Ben's voice actor is no longer with us the story can't continue...
Ya its bullshit. Even if Ben has to be included they can just pay the family royalties and use an AI voice print......I want another story in that universe so bad.

Pallas

Gold Member
Lollipop chainsaw, idk how successful it is and there is a remake in development but we all know how things like that can change so fast.

CamHostage

Another exception-case that might still fit...

Although technically a part of a franchise (and a terrible, bargain-bin franchise at that,) Spec Ops: The Line was franchise entertainment in name only. In actuality, it was an intrepid assault on the type of games it came from and the gamer compelled to buy games like it. A military shooter on its surface (and in its bloody innards too, right down to its itchy trigger finger,) Spec Ops had an anti-war intent (or at least realities-of-war) loaded into every aspect of the gameplay design and storytelling in the game campaign. It has its flaws and detractions (I actually don't love the game, but I do like talking about it,) but few games are made like Spec Ops: The Line.

...And even fewer, in fact pretty much no games, followed up Spec Ops: The Line from the developer or publisher. Spec Ops itself was a commercial failure and never saw a sequel. Developer Yager Developments never made anything as conceptually out there again, and creative lead Cory Davis eventually went indie. (He currently runs a studio called Eyes Out, with NIN guitarist Robin Finck.) And although 2K Games was in bull mode to continue putting its money where its mouth was in backing creatives with bold concepts like BioShock and the Rockstar releases, eventually that enthusiasm settled on more conventional ways of making money. (We'll see how wild Judas is when it finally is finished...) Spec Ops The Line didn't need a sequel (and some might say it didn't deserve one), but it's a singular experience remembered well by its supporters and buried well by its studio.

Last edited:
Top Bottom