• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Oldest Save File You Still Have?

RedSwirl

Sometimes looking back I'm kind of amazed I still have functioning save files in some of my N64 games like Ocarina of Time more than 10 years later. Then I looked back and realized that I still had my brother's old Super Mario World save file from 1991. Kinda surprised the battery pack for that game still works when the ones for games like A Link to the Past have fallen by the wayside.

(._.)

Banned
This is actually a pretty interesting question. My oldest saves are probably on a blue PS2 memory card I still have. I have a real old sim tower save too on a floppy. I've lost most of my old saves.

I used to have an old save file from Pokemon Red up to a few years back... it's like a time machine. It's almost enough to make you cry, looking back on the file, and remembering things from your life at the time.

Dragon

Banned
I have a Xenogears save right before the end boss. I believe the title is called First and Last.

Sometimes I go back and play through and watch the awfully voiced ending. Still love it!

Fou-Lu

Most likely Pokemon Blue. Possibly Final Fantasy I or Adventures of Link if either still has a surviving save file.

Pyccko

Probably Shining Force II circa '95 or so. I haven't checked it in a pretty long time though, so it's most likely gone.

Has to be Resident Evil Remake on GameCube. I have lost all my saves on PS3 and 360 once. I wish there was this cloud saves thing before those happened

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I have an original NES Legend of Zelda cart that still holds its saves. Some kind of mutant, I guess.

I wish I still had all my old Saturn saves. I had a 100% complete Dragon Force save that I was heartbroken to find I'd lost after the mem cart died on me a few years ago.

AzaK

I think I still have some of my old tapes from my spectra video lying around somewhere. From some old adventure games whose names I can no longer remember. But no way would they still work, and I don't have a machine for them anyway.

XmWBF.jpg

QszqV.jpg

Kinda impressive the battery isn't dead after all these years.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Zelda, the original Final Fantasy, maybe Dragon Warrior beats 'em. I'm sure Dragon Warrior at least still works, just fired that up a couple years ago.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
FF8, from when the game first came out. I haven't checked earlier.

qq more

Pokemon Gold from 2000. I preserved the save file in this gameboy memory card cartridge I've bought on ebay a while ago. :)

Lindbergh

My aunt got me a copy of Final Fantasy VI (SNES) from a flea market back in '96.
I only kept the one save file that had all characters maxed to lv. 99.
Weird thing, the previous owner only renamed Celes, Relm, and Strago.

Oreoleo

Probably something from one of my SNES or GameBoy games but I can't be bothered to go through them and check. But I do have a PC save game from the original Rainbow Six that dates back to September 2000. And Driver and Metal Gear Solid from December 2000.

zoukka

Oh god now I'm left wondering if my Legend Of Zelda cart still has my save in it or is the battery already dead... it's somewhere in my grandparents house still D:

That must be like 20 years old.

I've still got a save from crash bandicoot 2. orignally moved from ps1 to 2. I even bought that mmory card transfer kit to get mybold saves for my bc ps3. So now I've got it on 3 systems.

Eusis

Depends on what cartridges are actually still working or not.

Failing that, probably an FFVII save or something. It'd be further back if the Saturn didn't depend on CR2032s (and the cart design on a whole was more reliable).

EDIT: Wait, no, I forgot Sonic CD and the fact Sega CD seems to be flash or something and not have it die as quickly. If that's still alive then it's undoubtedly that, since SMW's fried and LttP had a few resets over time. If NES carts are alive then maybe Startropics.

A few of my SNES games still have files, like Super Mario World and Zelda.

On a memory card, it's probably some PSone RPG like FF7.

Pocks

Link to the Past or Super Mario World.. Actually, definitely LTTP due to data corruption on my SMW cart.

Instro

I have old Quest for Glory import save files on a floppy some where. Original Zelda still has save files on it as well.

Wool

I think I have an Earthbound save from when I first got the game in 1999, but I'd have to check as I haven't played in a long time. That was back in the second millenium, man.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Still got my old PS1 memcards and they work fine (but I copied them all to the ps3 just in case)

Top Bottom