• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst household chore?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Laundry is far and away the easiest chore as long as you have a washing machine and dryer. Now instead of taking all day, it just takes a few hours of you basically not doing anything.

I'm gonna go with "do the dishes" since my kids are grown and all pop in and out of the house all week based on their school schedule, my wife makes dinner every night, and it seems to only take about two days for every dish in my house to get dirty. I probably spend 2-3 hours a week cleaning dishes.

bucyou

I dont mind the dishwasher, its the floors that rustles my jimmies. I've tried steam mops and all that other bullshit but find myself going back to the good ol' mop and bucket. doesnt help my whole house is wood and tile

Dark Star

scrubbing the grout, those little lines in between kitchen and bathroom tiles

growing up, my mom was obsessed with keeping those clean ... and for some reason it was my fkin household job ... ugh

GS_BeforeAfter__21671.1427025821.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

Pejo

Dishwashing is a personal least favorite. Love cooking, don't mind putting dishes away, but the washing part sucks. I'm tall-ish so that slight downward angle sucks for my back since I have standard height countertops, especially if there are lots of dishes. Also, Dishwashers sanitize well enough, but they never seem to fully clean the dishes, so I usually do it by hand.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shoveling snow. Not the fluffy light stuff. But the all-day dense snowfall where you got to shovel twice in the same day, and pray it doesn't pile up in the morning when you got to head out to work.

Last edited:
Cleaning the bathtub is killing my back. I can deal with the toilet because it doesn't take anywhere near as long... and I like those bottles that squirt liquid under the toilet bowl's rim :messenger_hushed:

I_D

scrubbing the grout, those little lines in between kitchen and bathroom tiles

GS_BeforeAfter__21671.1427025821.1280.1280.jpg

The ironic thing is that the dark lines make it look better than the default look.

I, however, propose the idea of vacuuming the car. I don't know what it is about it, but it always sucks. Even in the winter-time, I find myself sweating by the time I'm done.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Doing the laundry just because it’s the most time consuming to me... specifically putting up clothes and towels after the drying machine finishes. Last time I was sick and had accidentally left tissues in my pocket when I washed my clothes, and tissue fragments got ALL OVER my clothes and I had to pick them out.

Codes 208

When you live in a house with five other adults and one toddler (in my case myself, my parents, my step bro, step sister and her husband and their little daughter) you quickly learn how much you hate doing dishes by hand.

Also bathrooms, the whole bathroom. It’s like janitorial shitwork in a public bathroom sometimes.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
collecting the mass of hairs and miscellaneous organic substance from a neglected shower drain.

cleaning the toilet, though polishing the ceramic throne can be a sublime experience.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Cleaning the bathtub is killing my back. I can deal with the toilet because it doesn't take anywhere near as long... and I like those bottles that squirt liquid under the toilet bowl's rim :messenger_hushed:

This. Scrubbing the tub really does a number on my back. I hate it. Other chores are just tedious and I can just power through without issue.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
This. Scrubbing the tub really does a number on my back. I hate it. Other chores are just tedious and I can just power through without issue.

I always let white vinegar sit in the toilet for about an hour before cleaning it and I never have to spend more than a 30-60 seconds scrubbing mine. But that’s mostly to take care of any hard water buildup.

cabbage5k2

Cleaning cat puke and cat shit. Especially cleaning diarrheic shit that one of my cats frequently has. It's... a lovely experience at times.

Tesseract

Banned
is there anything worse than weed eating?

it's a pain in the ass to maintain your eater, the oil gas mixture sucks and is always chemically imbalanced in some imperceptible way, choking the line or clogging it, the blades of all variety suck and yes i've tried the indestructible made for tv stuff, it's noisy as fuck and kicks up all kinds of shit all over your body, it smells like shit, it's not terribly heavy but terribly balanced machinery, pulling the starter makes you wanna go on a killing spree, it causes your hands to shake after an hours use, and you have to clean it out after every use

FUCK WEED EATING, GET ON MY LEVEL SCRUBS

i hate it so much that i honestly just go fuck it every year and spend a whole day pulling out all the weeds on my property

THEN I CHEW ON THE ROOTS, AND LAUGH AS THE ROOT JUICE DRIZZLES DOWN MY CHIN

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Vacuuming mostly because of unwinding and rewinding the long power cable.

A wireless vacuum is very welcome.

Every other home chore I adore. Love maintaining a nice living space.

is there anything worse than weed eating?

it's a pain in the ass to maintain your eater, the oil gas mixture sucks and is always chemically imbalanced in some imperceptible way, choking the line or clogging it, the blades of all variety suck and yes i've tried the indestructible made for tv stuff, it's noisy as fuck and kicks up all kinds of shit all over your body, it smells like shit, it's not terribly heavy but terribly balanced machinery, pulling the starter makes you wanna go on a killing spree, it causes your hands to shake after an hours use, and you have to clean it out after every use

FUCK WEED EATING, GET ON MY LEVEL SCRUBS

i hate it so much that i honestly just go fuck it every year and spend a whole day pulling out all the weeds on my property

THEN I CHEW ON THE ROOTS, AND LAUGH AS THE ROOT JUICE DRIZZLES DOWN MY CHIN

giphy.gif
Sounds like a fun time to me tbh. But that's my perspective. I'd let it accumulate too. And here's the thing. I'm a knife enthusiast. Collecting knives and whetstones are my shit. Sharpening a knife makes my dick glow. I'd get a machete, sharpen/polish it to hell and back, and go to town on those fucken weeds.

Or better yet with one of these:

21W6UA5tpFL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Aside from shoveling snow I mentioned above, I actually don't mind most chores.

Hate: shoveling snow. I would put ironing clothes here too (as someone mentioned above), but I get all my office clothes drycleaned, so no issue. When I used to iron my clothes, I was terrible at it. Kudos to anyone who can iron shirts fast and good

Meh: mowing the lawn

I'm a-ok with it: dishes, vacuuming, laundry, cleaning.

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I always let white vinegar sit in the toilet for about an hour before cleaning it and I never have to spend more than a 30-60 seconds scrubbing mine. But that’s mostly to take care of any hard water buildup.

I've tried the vinegar cleaning method before which gave some pretty good results, but I couldn't get past the smell. It was a little too overwhelming.

I’m thinking about giving this brush set a try. I just don't want to be that dick that uses power tools to clean a godamn bathtub.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I've tried the vinegar cleaning method before which gave some pretty good results, but I couldn't get past the smell. It was a little too overwhelming.

I’m thinking about giving this brush set a try. I just don't want to be that dick that uses power tools to clean a godamn bathtub.

Drill brush looks interesting but I’d be concerned with it splashing toilet water everywhere.

The vinegar smell is definitely harsh but oddly I’m ok with having it around a bit. I’m the complete opposite with chemical smells (very sensitive to them and will get headaches if overexposed). Whenever I clean my bathroom I usually end up opening my front and back door for a bit to air the place out.

mcz117chief

Dusting

So I spend almost an hour taking down everything from all my shelves. All the books, all my LEGOs, figures, souvenirs, miniatures, game jewel cases, CDs, everything. Then I wipe it all in a minute or two and then I have to put it all back taking forever again. Luckily I only do this kind of deep cleaning two or three times a year. The normal dusting isn't that much better though, it still takes forever but I hate dust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom