• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the WORST song from a Band you love?

AJUMP23

We all love music and bands and have some some songs that we can here from bands that we love. But those bands also release songs that we don't like. This thread is for you to share a song or two from a band you like, but a song of theirs you don't like.

I am a fan of U2, and With or Without you is my favorite song.

But this song from their Pop album is garbage.

Ionian

Anyone not saying Stadium Arcadium if you like RHCP has gotta be trolling.
You mean the song or album? I loved the album myself, thought it was a return to form, the song itself though is boring but even as a fan they have plenty of duds. Other than "Gong Li" off the scar tissue single I've not heard a single good b-side since.

One song of theirs I think is terrible is "Emit Remmus" off Californication. A song Anthony Kiedis wrote about banging sporty spice as they were a couple at one stage, it's just one tuneless drawl.

They have plenty of filler but I still always check as when they hit the mark it's worth the digging. Plus I bought a guitar due to Frusciante and learned how to play from studying his music so kinda biased.

(Not impressed with the new album, it's boring).

Last edited:

Ionian

Not the worst, but this song really irks me for some reason

Wow, not heard of MUSE in years. I quite like this song, used to be on the radio all the time. Only so much of MUSE I can take in one sitting though as everything starts sounding the same after a while. Regret never seeing them live and I used to go to loads of gigs, far too old (no patience) for festivals now,

k_trout

5VO6OmO.jpg

Banned
I don't know if I could nail it down to a specific song, but Transitus, the whole album (which is a concept album so it's all tied together anyways), by Ayreon (which also isn't really a band...)
that album was so fucking weird in every way and most of the songs are just so mediocre, with like 2 good ones at best, and even those aren't that amazing

20ayreon2.jpg

and this hit especially hard, because before that album, no matter what Arjen Lucassen released I basically all loved, which is very rare for me... almost no artist/band had that high of a percentage for me of songs I loved vs didn't like, because even my least favorite ones by his I still always kinda liked...

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Wow, not heard of MUSE in years. I quite like this song, used to be on the radio all the time. Only so much of MUSE I can take in one sitting though as everything starts sounding the same after a while. Regret never seeing them live and I used to go to loads of gigs, far too old (no patience) for festivals now,
Yea it's a good song and they are incredible live. I think something bad happened in my developing years that I must have associated with the song. When I hear it now it makes me squirm 🤢

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

This was was one of three songs that agitated Dutch Genesis fans so much they started booing the band they'd come to see. Phil Collins then told them to fuck off if they didn't like the new music. Happened in Leiden in 1981. I heard a bootleg of "The Booing Concert" a long time ago, but I am not able to find it on Youtube.

Jaybe

GnR - pick anything from the Spaghetti Incident album. Just a bunch of bad covers. Must’ve been made under a contractual obligation or something.

Ionian

This was was one of three songs that agitated Dutch Genesis fans so much they started booing the band they'd come to see. Phil Collins then told them to fuck off if they didn't like the new music. Happened in Leiden in 1981. I heard a bootleg of "The Booing Concert" a long time ago, but I am not able to find it on Youtube.

That's barely even a song, guess it was the coke days. I'd boo them too. Dutch people are super nice so must have been really dire.

Scotty W

While the intro is cool, the song is not very good, and the solo fades out way too early. Terrible choice for a single.

joedan

We all love music and bands and have some some songs that we can here from bands that we love. But those bands also release songs that we don't like. This thread is for you to share a song or two from a band you like, but a song of theirs you don't like.

I am a fan of U2, and With or Without you is my favorite song.

But this song from their Pop album is garbage.

Great choice. Can’t believe anyone agreed to put that song on an album.

nkarafo

Everything Metallica did after Black.

And even Black has a few boring songs in it, something i would never say about their previous albums. One of the reasons i'm glad i'm not listening to the radio anymore is because i don't have to hear Enter Sandman ever again.

Ionian

Tell Me Baby and Dani California were both great songs. It may also have some of the worst songs, but there are still some hits.
As a fan from early on, you tell lies

It's not all good but having frusciante back for a double album was amazing.

Hump de bump, wet sand...

Banger return for frusciante.

And then the new albums, absolutely yawn fests, oh well. 😁

FunkMiller

And even Black has a few boring songs in it, something i would never say about their previous albums. One of the reasons i'm glad i'm not listening to the radio anymore is because i don't have to hear Enter Sandman ever again.

Black marked their turn into far more commercial music, but there's still enough bangers on it to say it deserves a place alongside the earlier albums. Everything that came after was just messy noise, though. They lost the precision and focus that made their earlier stuff so good. Excellent example of a band selling out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Virtually every song and album from U2 starting from Zooropa. What a downhill slalom that was when their 80s stuff is legendary. From that album an onward they basically morphed into being mainstream as much as possible, doing the Tomb Raider song, and almost everything released from the mids 90s to now are compilation albums.

Here's the worst of the worst from Zooropa.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Virtually every song and album from U2 starting from Zooropa. What a downhill slalom that was when their 80s stuff is legendary. From that album an onward they basically morphed into being mainstream as much as possible, doing the Tomb Raider song, and almost everything released from the mids 90s to now are compilation albums.

Here's the worst of the worst from Zooropa.

I would say the 2001 album all that you can’t leave behind is a great album. But yes Pop is a rough album and nobody got the joke.

I have been to at least 7 U2 shows and thankfully they rarely do anything from POP.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would say the 2001 album all that you can’t leave behind is a great album. But yes Pop is a rough album and nobody got the joke.

I have been to at least 7 U2 shows and thankfully they rarely do anything from POP.
I agree that 2001 album is decent. I have it myself. To me, the only studio album worth getting aside from their old stuff.

I never had all their tapes from the 80s as like everyone I had recorded tapes with mishmashes of songs, but to me if someone got the gold Best Of CD 1980-1990, and perhaps the silver Best of CD 1990-2000, that's all anyone needs.

mcjmetroid

Let's see here

Freddie is chewing the jaw off himself in the video

No guitar at all in the song

Also the first video to be banned from MTV

As a bonus they decided to release this as a single before "under pressure"

I do love it ironically though.

This probably would've been mind-blowing in 1968 if you smoked weed for the first time right before listening to it. But, now, I don't know what I'm supposed to feel when I listen to it, and what I do feel is bored.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Everything Metallica did after Black.

I think Black was bad too. Not as bad as their later stuff but certainly way worse than the masterpiece trilogy before it.

I'm also sick of hearing the same Black album songs over and over on the radio. It's either Enter Sandman or one of the two album's ballads. Enter Sandman especially couldn't be more mainstream and safe. Nowadays there's not a single song i can enjoy from this album. I mean, musically the album is mostly fine and i remember enjoying a few songs as a teenager. If this was made by any other band, it would probably be their best album. But for Metallica i thought it was a huge downgrade and i was forcing myself to like it more.

It also didn't help how Megadeth released their best album a few months earlier. Both bands shattered my expectations during this time, one for the best and the other for the worse. Megadeth took Metallica's place as my favorite band for that period.

Top Bottom