• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is this narrative that Sony skipping E3 was a good choice?

so, just because Microsoft didn't have a great showing. it was a good decision to not show fans some exciting new things? lmao. is this the level of fanboyism we've reached that even the media says stuff like that?

In what world is it a good decision for Sony to skip the biggest gaming event, but also show us all more new games, well. it would be if they had nothing to show, Just like E3 2017, or, E3 2018. no I kid you not you can go and watch those 2 E3s. no new exclusives announced. we've had E3s from 1994-2018 from Sony. the only two E3s that lacked new games, are the last two, and 2019 is basically the third E3 Sony does not announce a new game in. why?. well thats what happens when you don't make that many games anymore

tldr: Sony skipping E3 was not a good decision for any of us, its a good shitty corporate decision that people shit talked microsoft about for years last gen. but we're praising Sony for what whatever microsoft was criticized for. but am sure ya'll fanboys Enjoy waiting 4+ years for a game instead of having more people work on more exclusives for a system. I just loved seeing days gone like 3-4 years in a row before it came out.

do yall all of the sudden have a stock in Sony Corp?. lol. we're all fans, why do you encourage and praise anti-fanatic decisions?.

Last edited:

Vasto

hq3TiF0.gif

brap

Banned
Because they probably wouldn't have anything to show. Just look at how terrible most of the conferences were.

decisions

It was extremely smart in hindsight. Everyone is making fun of the companies that had nothing to show before next-gen and Sony just gets some third-party exclusives that gets some people talking positively about Playstation without them having created any expectations for a plethora of announcements.

FranXico

Better to not show up and not waste my time, then to show up at E3 with a shit show (like last year).

They announced new games outside of E3 as well. It still just doesn't justify making a conference to just fill it with indies, or worse, flutes. And it looks like they learned the lesson after E3 2018.

And no, it's not a good decision, because I would have liked another show. But if it would have been shit, then don't bother.

Nowhere is this a praise. The "Thank you Sony" thread was a parody. But some people apparently lack basic sense of humor. I guess console wars really are serious business...

Embrace the hyperbole
He is embracing hyperbole. Bigtime.

Last edited:
People complained when they kept showing the same upcoming games for the last few years, and it's too early to show off next gen games, so it was a smart move to skip.

Sony teased PS5 a few weeks ago and just had a nice trailer for Death Stranding before E3, plus we might be getting a The Last of Us 2 trailer soon (if the rumours are true) so it
was much better than wasting time and money on an E3 conference this year.

Because they probably wouldn't have anything to show. Just look at how terrible most of the conferences were.

It was extremely smart in hindsight. Everyone is making fun of the companies that had nothing to show before next-gen and Sony just gets some third-party exclusives that gets some people talking positively about Playstation without them having created any expectations for a plethora of announcements.

ok but thats their fault then. thats like a fucking student not showing up to the exam and the teacher giving him a passing grade.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
It is what it is.

Good decision because Sony had nothing to show and it turns out not being at the show wasn't as big a problem as originally thought.

I'm glad they skipped e3 this year, personally. Last year's showing was shit.

Last edited:
It is what it is.

Good decision because Sony had nothing to show and it turns out not being at the show wasn't as big a problem as originally thought.

I'm glad they skipped e3 this year, personally. Last year's showing was shit.

3 no E3 announcements and nobody gave them shit for it. imagine had nintendo had 3 fucking E3 directs with no new announcements. even as crazy as some of their fans are. they'd get shit for it.

3 fucking years you don't announce a single new game in an E3?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There are a lot of people out there that just have one game system and they experience actual, physical pain if 1) their favorite game company doesn't look good, or 2) another game company looks good.

It took me a while to really have it sink in how many people that shit up Nintendo threads haven't owned a single Nintendo console in 20 years. Hearing that Breath of the Wild was a fun game honestly made a lot of these people crack.

Similar thing happens in this case. Their favorite company has shown literally nothing this e3 and they are hiding the pain. These people need our support. They are fragile, and they are hurting.

Persona demigod demigod , I summon you!

OP called Final Fantasy fans the "lowest common denominator" of gaming communities.

OP hates Sony.

OP is Legendary.

OP is Me.

In all seriousness, Sony made the right decision to skip out E3 this year since they've already fired with all cylinders these past 2-3 years. They knew that backlash would not be worth the trouble if they came empty handed with CG trailers of next-gen installments.

Vawn

Banned
I think the point is, if you don't have stuff to talk about, it's better to not say anything than to spend an hour and a half elaborating on how you don't have anything to talk about. That's basically what MS did.

Both Sony and MS are gearing up for next generation consoles next year. The big current gen games are already known and next-gen stuff isn't ready to be discussed.

Regardless, after that Nintendo Direct, it really doesn't matter. Nintendo completely embarrassed Sony who said nothing and Microsoft who showed everything they had (not much).

Last edited:
I think it was a good decision we have an idea what will be releasing for the ps4 in the next 12 months anyways, and by this time next year I would expect a media blitz regarding the next gen consoles.

This is the ps4's last year and with Death Stranding in November and last of us 2 (rumored for the first quarter of 2020) things are looking pretty good for Sony they have their plans for 2019 and 2020.

Microsoft has just said when their next console is releasing while Sony is keeping quiet and with the survey being put out, on which of the next gen consoles are most anticipated Sony's next gen console is leading the charge.

Sony now has an advantage since they know what MS plans to do with their console meaning they can plan accordingly, if they release it before Microsoft and has a good launch lineup this will be a huge blow to Microsoft.
Besides cyberpunk a multiplatform title Microsoft really did not impress me with their conference this year, even with Halo as a nextgen console launch title.

E3 has also started to lose its relevancy since the trade show aspect is not really all that important anymore.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I also think people are heavily exaggerating how bad MS was. I dont have an Xbox but they showed new first part stuff that is all free on Gamepass. Third party games that are all best on the X. And a dozen new free backwards compatability titles. And purchased more studios. And teased their next system. And talked about upcoming cloud tech that Sony will also do I'm sure.

It wasn't that bad lol.

Damigos

Do we need to have stocks at Sony to say the decision they took was smart ? It was a smart decision. If they did attend E3 they would probably also make a non reveal of PS5, like MS did with Scarlet, and probably there would be 1,5 hour of trailers of already announced games..
Just releasing Death Stranding’s launch trailer on youtube and having Square release date for FFVII remake created a lot more positive buzz for them compared to MS.
Also that Wires article worked for them. They did a non reveal, earlier than MS, and without attending E3.
And no OP, i dont have Sony stocks. I am just always watching the gaming industry with interest

JordanN

Banned
Even though I dislike some of Sony's more recent decisions, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

E3 just feels like a glorified TV commercial. And like a TV commercial, you always want to fast forward until you see the good stuff.

So Sony skipping this years e3 is now in hindsight, a good move. Of course, there's nothing to say that can't change in the future.

And maybe it's just because I'm getting older but e3 just feels so... formulatic. Like we've come to expect the following:
3rd party games, 3rd party games, 3rd party games, a 1st party game, 3rd party games, pre-order this, new dlc

Yeah, without mixing it up somehow, it's not really worth tuning in to watch an entire conference.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
so, just because Microsoft didn't have a great showing. it was a good decision to not show fans some exciting new things? lmao. is this the level of fanboyism we've reached that even the media says stuff like that?

In what world is it a good decision for Sony to skip the biggest gaming event, but also show us all more new games, well. it would be if they had nothing to show, Just like E3 2017, or, E3 2018. no I kid you not you can go and watch those 2 E3s. no new exclusives announced. we've had E3s from 1994-2018 from Sony. the only two E3s that lacked new games, are the last two, and 2019 is basically the third E3 Sony does not announce a new game in. why?. well thats what happens when you don't make that many games anymore

tldr: Sony skipping E3 was not a good decision for any of us, its a good shitty corporate decision that people shit talked microsoft about for years last gen. but we're praising Sony for what whatever microsoft was criticized for. but am sure ya'll fanboys Enjoy waiting 4+ years for a game instead of having more people work on more exclusives for a system. I just loved seeing days gone like 3-4 years in a row before it came out.

do yall all of the sudden have a stock in Sony Corp?. lol. we're all fans, why do you encourage and praise anti-fanatic decisions?.

No narrative, just a basic, rational observation that rather than waste time and money preparing a lackluster presentation that pleases few and gains their business nothing, they pre-empted the problem by simply steering clear of it ahead of time.

That shows awareness of their own capabilities and the state of the market. Because as evidenced by what every other publisher/platform-holder fielded, noone had exactly a lot ready to show.

E3's timing was a problem for everyone involved in creating the product, which in itself is a harsh indictment of E3 as an institution going forwards.

If they don't have a new exclusive to announce in the last year of the PS4's console cycle with how long dev cycles are now who in their right mind is gonna be mad at them? They also have 3 huge exclusives on the horizon that look amazing.

I prefer quality over quantity, sure one of their studios could have made a quick turn-around game like bleeding edge, or Minecraft Dungeons, but I prefer they take their time and put out classics.

demigod

Persona demigod demigod , I summon you!

OP called Final Fantasy fans the "lowest common denominator" of gaming communities.

OP hates Sony.

OP is Legendary.

OP is Me.

In all seriousness, Sony made the right decision to skip out E3 this year since they've already fired with all cylinders these past 2-3 years. They knew that backlash would not be worth the trouble if they came empty handed with CG trailers of next-gen installments.

I didn't want to post here to feed into this FAKE SONY FAN that the OP is but since you summoned me. There would've been backlash had Sony came to this E3 to show new CGI trailers of their next games. It's the same folks that whined about Sony's past conferences full of CGI no gameplay yet are fine with what MS put out the other day. The MS conference stunk, barely anything new from last year first party wise. Will MS fans complain that we're going to see Halo for the 3rd time at E3 next year? Nope.

The same OP that says MS conference was better than Square's, lol. Get real dude, you're not fooling anyone. We know who you're shilling for since day 1.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It was a business decision. It's expensive to host a conference at E3 and it becomes a waste of resources if they don't have much to show. Just look at Bethesda and Ubisoft. They were clear losers this year because they had little to present and ended up having devs on stage talk about nothing.
The usual response to a bad show is pressuring a company to do better, not complimenting them for doing nothing. Its just kind of stunning to watch. Wouldnt happen with any other company.

Klayzer

I didn't want to post here to feed into this FAKE SONY FAN that the OP is but since you summoned me. There would've been backlash had Sony came to this E3 to show new CGI trailers of their next games. It's the same folks that whined about Sony's past conferences full of CGI no gameplay yet are fine with what MS put out the other day. The MS conference stunk, barely anything new from last year first party wise. Will MS fans complain that we're going to see Halo for the 3rd time at E3 next year? Nope.

The same OP that says MS conference was better than Square's, lol. Get real dude, you're not fooling anyone. We know who you're shilling for since day 1.
X-posed!

decisions

ok but thats their fault then. thats like a fucking student not showing up to the exam and the teacher giving him a passing grade.

No it's not. An exam is a required test of performance. E3 is an optional display of performance. It's like a teacher saying, "There is an optional exam I will be giving in June. If you are happy with your grade, you don't have to take it (Sony). If you are not, it can raise your grade (Square Enix). If you do perform badly though, it will count towards your overall grade (MS, Bethesda, Ubisoft)."

Texas Pride

Banned
Before the connected world we live in became so connected E3 made sense. With Social media and streaming E3 just isn't necessary anymore. That may be saddening to some but it's true. Furthermore Sony skipping this year when they're expected to announce a new console and new games soon makes little sense. I won't go so far as saying E3 is irrelevant but it's not as important as it once was. Times change. Adapt or die.

VertigoOA

Banned
E3 is a fun event and I think Sony should partake but they don’t need it to make an effective media presence to sell their products. I don’t think it will hurt them as long as they continue a steady stream of software.

Woffls

Their showing would have been pants; even last year they had to drag things out. If they turned up to E3 with some teasers and dev diaries for games 18 months out, they would have been utterly ridiculed.

VertigoOA

Banned
Not gonna lie tho. I did enjoy not having to sit thru sizzle reels of vr and indie games no one buys.

Announce ps5 next month. Launch after Scarlett to bring us the more powerful console.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Why do you care so much and get bent out of shape? I think Microsoft first party games are trash, you and other fans think they are great, doesn't bother me none. We are all entitled to our opinion. I'm sure tht strategic move to not attend E3 will lead to a great event they will be super focused on and if not, those saved resources will just go into those great games they keep pumping out 😁

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I get what people are saying, but it would have been smarter to, you know, like have something to show.

The point is thy did show something, just not at E3. They showed Death Stranding and talked about next Gen on their own terms. I'd be OK with them ditching E3 all together and just keeping up with their own show. As a consumer idgaf if they are at E3 or not just as long as I get fed information and know whats going on with future hardware and games at certain times during the year.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I get what people are saying, but it would have been smarter to, you know, like have something to show.

Why? Do you not think you are expecting the tail to wag the dog here?

E3 got big because it served the interests of the industry, it was originally timed to help buyers from big retailers decide what product to prioritize for the holiday season.

Nowadays, that's no longer the case. As a consumer facing fan-fest its hardly the only option for dev/pub to show their wares in the US, and globally there are far more significant events to promote in those respective territories.

Its just not that important anymore. Especially when they can market the product via the internet effectively all year around.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Because they didn't spend a shit load of money and force their development teams to prepare for E3 to waste my time for one or two hours and show me mostly stuff I already knew existed. Some of it for a year or longer ago. Like most of E3 this year.

zenspider

Why? Do you not think you are expecting the tail to wag the dog here?

E3 got big because it served the interests of the industry, it was originally timed to help buyers from big retailers decide what product to prioritize for the holiday season.

Nowadays, that's no longer the case. As a consumer facing fan-fest its hardly the only option for dev/pub to show their wares in the US, and globally there are far more significant events to promote in those respective territories.

Its just not that important anymore. Especially when they can market the product via the internet effectively all year around.

I think, ultimately, it is poor planning to have nothing to show, and they can spin it any way they want. Fact is they didn't have the goods. Sure, it was smarter than having a dud show, but they didn't have enough in development to carry them another year until PS5.

Second, E3 is not just for consumers. It's an industry event. Distributors, retailers, accessory makers, publishers, developers, etc., also have to get excited and learn about new products and initiatives. There's a lot more to hosting events than simply putting together a reel for the public.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned

Just people saying stupid things. These people must believe that what made E3 bad was something in the water and if Sony had been there, they too would have been terrible. No, they don't believe that, they are just people saying stupid things because they are dissapointed. E3 hype is the enemy, Nintendo Direct hype is the enemy, shit...hype in general is the enemy. If you let hype get to you, you are almost guaranteed to be dissapointed whether it be an event, a product or a service.

NahaNago

I'm mixed on this. I honestly think they should have had a large state of play for E3 instead of a conference. This kind of shows a lack of planning for E3 last E3 was weird as well and now they skip this E3. At least the next E3 will be an explosion of info for the ps5 and its games.

It's like chess, winning is as much about making the opponent do a bad move... as it is to do the right move for yourself. If they were to be present they were better show up with something impressive, so they decided to skip, give a break year to their marketing people... and hopefully plan their next series of moves better, and I feel they made the right move. However there is always this suspicion that Microsoft are going to make a strong move at some point, it has been a long time coming, many don't even count on it yet, but they are a strong adversary, so who knows what they have in store with all those studios?

Top Bottom