• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is this narrative that Sony skipping E3 was a good choice?

Norse

Would have been nice for Sony to show off some Indy games. Those devs can use all the free pub they can get.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It’s too early to show anything new as they’ll save that thunder for the PS5 official reveal. We’ve also pretty much seen enough of TLOU2, Dreams, Ghosts of Tsushima, or at least enough until closer to release. They just showed Death Stranding recently.

So I don’t know I’d say it’s a positive to have skipped it, but it definitely probably wasn’t worth spending the money to do it from a profit standpoint. Showing more of known upcoming releases isn’t going to sell a bunch of PS4s. They can do their own show around the holidays and early next year when their last few big exclusives are close to launching.

You know what? That really sounds like the kind of stupid thing Sony does.

Good thing MS never makes that mistake of repeatedly showing trailers before the game is released.

It's bad when Sony does it, but when Microsoft does it, it's okay.

Or when someone says something bad about Microsoft then it's the other way around.

And no OP, i dont have Sony stocks. I am just always watching the gaming industry with interest
That's how I feel. You can't even react a certain way to what happens at E3 without being called out on it, like we're in the wrong for praising Sony for making the decision not to hold their own press conference this year.

Thread title could easily be "What is this opinion that Sony skipping E3 was a good choice?"

Last edited:
Sony skipping E3 this year was a good thing. Last year was easily their worst conference since the launch of the PS4. Plus, they barely showed anything new.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They would’ve just taken half or more of what MS showed off and then sprinkled in a few trailers on first party games we already know about.

It wouldn’t have been a great showing since they’re not ready to show their PS5 titles yet.

It’s too early to show anything new as they’ll save that thunder for the PS5 official reveal. We’ve also pretty much seen enough of TLOU2, Dreams, Ghosts of Tsushima, or at least enough until closer to release. They just showed Death Stranding recently.

So I don’t know I’d say it’s a positive to have skipped it, but it definitely probably wasn’t worth spending the money to do it from a profit standpoint. Showing more of known upcoming releases isn’t going to sell a bunch of PS4s. They can do their own show around the holidays and early next year when their last few big exclusives are close to launching.
a multibillion dollar corporation can't have a development system where theres at least 1 game ready to show every year?. pathetic,

thats not the Sony I lived with

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
a multibillion dollar corporation can't have a development system where theres at least 1 game ready to show every year?. pathetic,

thats not the Sony I lived with
slash.png

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I was a bit disappointed with Sony as i thought that State of Play was going to be simalar to Nintendo Direct.

I try to look a things in a vice versa situation with this forum, so just imagine the threads if MS didn't show and Sony did.

CuNi

"Microsoft showed no new games and nothing of interest, C-"

"Nintendo showed no new games and nothing of interest, B+"

- NeoGAF

Not saying everybody, but the trend on here clearly is that if you say something in favor of Microsoft, you're delusional and if you say something against Sony, then you are just a jealous MS-Fanboy.
Same goes for AMD/NVIDIA. I think there's only but a few people left that one could talk about such matters left on GAF. I don't really know when people got so invested into consoles, that was one of the reasons I never got why people like sports and start bar fights if their team loses and now the same is happening to forums about consoles.

Psykodad

Banned
How's this for narrative:

Next time Sony shows TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima, they'll be running in real-time on PS5 hardware.
Added bonus: next-gen Guerrilla project (HZD2 or KZ reboot)

When that happens, everybody will have forgotten about Sony skipping E3 this year.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is everyone still going to buy Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima? Yeah? Are Sony still going to have a PS5 next year? Can they just show us trailers closer to the actual release or the game?

So why did they need to show up at E3 again?

SonGoku

What was the other choice? Make a mediocre E3 presentation full of itsnothing.gif cinematic trailers and a PS5 cock tease
I rather they don't spoil new games with cutscene trailers only to have to wait a year or two before any real gameplay.

Last edited:

meanspartan

I dont think them missing the show is any kind of "gain", but they had to be a little worried Microsoft would have an amazing show while they were silent.

Didn't happen, the MS show was just ok. So Sony got away with skipping and was not damaged by it.

FranXico

I dont think them missing the show is any kind of "gain", but they had to be a little worried Microsoft would have an amazing show while they were silent.

Didn't happen, the MS show was just ok. So Sony got away with skipping and was not damaged by it.
Naturally, it was a calculated risk, because they knew Microsoft is also gearing up for next gen and wouldn't have as much to show for current gen as usual.
Under slightly different circumstances, they might have been forced to show up anyway. Most of the announcements would have been the stuff they showed in the State of Play videos and some filler (hopefully without the bloody pan pipes and flutes).

Last edited:

Damigos

It is a “gain”.
Now the gaming community is neutral at Sony for skipping E3 and negative at Microsoft for not delivering. If Sony attended E3 it would probably be something like MS conference. So having someone thinking neutral of you is better than thinking negatively

I think the point is, if you don't have stuff to talk about, it's better to not say anything than to spend an hour and a half elaborating on how you don't have anything to talk about. That's basically what MS did.

Both Sony and MS are gearing up for next generation consoles next year. The big current gen games are already known and next-gen stuff isn't ready to be discussed.

Regardless, after that Nintendo Direct, it really doesn't matter. Nintendo completely embarrassed Sony who said nothing and Microsoft who showed everything they had (not much).

Is this the narrative we're going with - that MS showed nothing just because there was no gameplay? I mean I was playing Siege while watching the MS conference but they announced like 10-15 exclusives all coming within the next 1.5 years lol Sony showed like 6 fucking games last year and played orchestral music for like 20 minutes and didn't get shit on as much as MS. FFS. Thank god I own all consoles and a PC so I don't have to pretend that things are awesome and/or suck.

xool

It's right here :

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned

Everybody could've seen MS's mediocre show coming from a mile away.
That's why Sony didn't bother.

Only die-hard Xbox fans and self-proclaimed "true" multi-platform gamers thought/think MS will ever make a strong comeback.

Last edited:

xool

Everybody could've seen MS's mediocre show coming from a mile away.
This isn't true though - some of us had reasonable expectations of Fable reveal, Halo infinite proper reveal, something that didn't look like total trash from Ninja Theory, something AMAZING from Obsidian etc etc.

If their production/pr was functioning properly I think we would have seen much of this - but we didn't.

Psykodad

Banned
This isn't true though - some of us had reasonable expectations of Fable reveal, Halo infinite proper reveal, something that didn't look like total trash from Ninja Theory, something AMAZING from Obsidian etc etc.

If their production/pr was functioning properly I think we would have seen much of this - but we didn't.

So, basically what I said.

Seriously, anybody really think Sony would skip E3 if Xbox was a threat in any way?

Last edited:
The decision will be right if Sony makes their own event and blows everything shown at E3 out of the water.

If they don't communicate anything, the decision will be wrong because it's better to be talked about negatively than not being talked about at all.

so, just because Microsoft didn't have a great showing. it was a good decision to not show fans some exciting new things? lmao. is this the level of fanboyism we've reached that even the media says stuff like that?

In what world is it a good decision for Sony to skip the biggest gaming event, but also show us all more new games, well. it would be if they had nothing to show, Just like E3 2017, or, E3 2018. no I kid you not you can go and watch those 2 E3s. no new exclusives announced. we've had E3s from 1994-2018 from Sony. the only two E3s that lacked new games, are the last two, and 2019 is basically the third E3 Sony does not announce a new game in. why?. well thats what happens when you don't make that many games anymore

tldr: Sony skipping E3 was not a good decision for any of us, its a good shitty corporate decision that people shit talked microsoft about for years last gen. but we're praising Sony for what whatever microsoft was criticized for. but am sure ya'll fanboys Enjoy waiting 4+ years for a game instead of having more people work on more exclusives for a system. I just loved seeing days gone like 3-4 years in a row before it came out.

do yall all of the sudden have a stock in Sony Corp?. lol. we're all fans, why do you encourage and praise anti-fanatic decisions?.

You seem upset. Who's the real fanboy here?

CeeJay

So many people seem happy that Sony skipped E3, I am happy that you are happy with it. I don't get why you have to try and play down Microsoft's conference as well to try and put a MS = bad, Sony = good spin on it. I thought Microsoft's conference was not too bad, certainly not one of the best but also far from the worst, it was a solid 7.5.

Plenty of new games, flight sim stole the whole show for me.
Loads of third party premieres
New improved Elite controller
Some new info about Xcloud
Some new info about next gen console
New studio acquisition

If Sony had of turned up and shown all this but for PlayStation instead of Xbox I am damn sure a lot of you guys would be calling it a 10 out of 10 grand slam!

Saruhashi

Banned
Even though I dislike some of Sony's more recent decisions, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

E3 just feels like a glorified TV commercial. And like a TV commercial, you always want to fast forward until you see the good stuff.

So Sony skipping this years e3 is now in hindsight, a good move. Of course, there's nothing to say that can't change in the future.

And maybe it's just because I'm getting older but e3 just feels so... formulatic. Like we've come to expect the following:
3rd party games, 3rd party games, 3rd party games, a 1st party game, 3rd party games, pre-order this, new dlc

Yeah, without mixing it up somehow, it's not really worth tuning in to watch an entire conference.

Yeah, I think E3 has something of an "identity crisis" to be honest.

It ought to just be a convention where people can go and play upcoming games and maybe some of the media types can get interviews with the devs and/or important figures in the industry.

The big attraction though is these 2 hour long conferences that are just a barrage of game trailers and "surprises".

Sometimes I think you have to just not like video games to not be happy with a series of trailers for new game that are coming but inevitably what people are looking for is not realistic.

I mean, is anyone REALLY surprised that Nintendo have another Zelda in development. Folks though BotW was the end for the Zelda franchise or something? It's just such a "false" surprise. Even if I am fucking delighted there will be a BotW sequel.

You can kind of blame the media and the community because every year the big question is "who won E3".
So it's a shame for companies to put so much into their presentation only for the audience to say "nah, this didn't win E3".

The rumors predict stupid things like major releases dropping "right now". As if that will happen.

Then when it all dies down people are like "I only wished to see Game X".
I saw some comment on another thread where the poster says they only bought a Switch for Bayonetta 3 and now they are pissed because it wasn't even shown. Fuck, that's kind of depressing.

So, hilariously, Sony says "fuck this" and stays away from E3 and of course people say "Sony won E3 by not showing up".

People will just NEVER be satisfied with these announcement presentations because fundamentally it's just an announcement.

E3 would be better off if the focus was on more intimate gameplay demos and interviews instead of packed crowds feeling obligated to clap and cheer a trailer.

JordanN

Banned
E3 would be better off if the focus was on more intimate gameplay demos and interviews instead of packed crowds feeling obligated to clap and cheer a trailer.
This is why e3 is at its best when it's about a new console reveal. All the new information is exclusively revealed there and we do get to see a hands on demo of it.

Prime example, look at the original DS reveal.

In just 4 minutes, we are already told what's it's purpose, what's it's function, what it looks like, and what's coming to it.

But when e3 is not about new hardware, it's just a really long montage of game trailers you could later look up online.

Elcid

Banned
I think it's clear Sony's focus atm is PS5 so why bother with E3 if they're not ready to show that off yet?

baphomet

Having been to E3 multiple times since the Atlanta one in 97, I can say without a doubt that E3s are mostly pointless. Especially since the dawn of the internet era.

Now Sony will have their own conference and have literally no other news to go up against. Had they done it at E3 they'd be competing with every company there to try and get mindshare for their announcements.

E3 is a dinosaur.

NickFire

We get disappointed by weeks of hype crashing into nothing and spout off at the mouth, er keyboard. Not a big deal, nor worth overanalyzing.

sublimit

Banned
The way this industry has become (especially with all that obsession for games to become hollywood movies with insane budgets which more than half go to marketing in order to sell their ultra-safe and uninspired concepts) i realize that it's not possible anymore to have an annual solid E3 show without those publishers ultimately repeating themselves and bring out disappointment to media and consumers who always expect new things. And it's not only about the platform owners,look at how abyssmal this E3 was for everyone except SE and Nintendo (Nintendo is a unique case in today's market due to their gamecentric philosophies when it comes to game development).

So because i understand that it's not possible for EVERYONE to have an annual solid and interesting presentation anymore (maybe not even biannual) i'd really appreciate it if they stop mocking us in front of our faces with half-arsed shows and waste our times as well as disappoint us. Ideally they should also stop this annual stupid E3 hyping game (see MS) when they know they can't deliver because it's really insulting for anyone who isn't a fanboy or an astroturfer.

Last edited:
Just change E3 to every 2-3 years instead of every year. Problem solved. If you cant give me a quality conference with 24 months of planning then that just means E3 needs to die off and all companies do their own personal conferences and keynotes.

Last edited:
I will say this, its amazing Sony is getting no real flack (from Sony fans) for not showing up. In what crazy world do we punish the people who at least ATTEMPTED to make a showing and praise the people who made zero effort?

I would flambé Microsoft if it was the other way around.

Microsoft didn't have to show up either, but they know E3 is still important to a large community of both casual and hardcore gamers so they spent money to at least give some type of showing. Good or bad, at least they competed. Sony basically said "f you guys we skipping this year"...and this is a good thing....for gamers? As a community we now love zero effort?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

sublimit

Banned
Just change E3 to every 2-3 years instead of every year. Problem solved. If you cant give me a quality conference with 24 months of planning then that just means E3 needs to die off and all companies do their own personal conferences and keynotes.
I will say this, its amazing Sony is getting no real flack (from Sony fans) for not showing up. In what crazy world do we punish the people who at least ATTEMPTED to make a showing and praise the people who made zero effort?

I would flambé Microsoft if it was the other way around.

Microsoft didn't have to show up either, but they know E3 is still important to a large community of both casual and hardcore gamers so they spent money to at least give some type of showing. Good or bad, at least they competed. Sony basically said "f you guys we skipping this year"...and this is a good thing....for gamers? As a community we now love zero effort?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
Are you the same person who typed both of these posts?
In your first post you actually explain to yourself why it makes sense to not having these companies show up annualy if they don't have anything substantial to show. And then in your next post you sound like a bitter fanboy who is angry that he didn't get his chance to "punish" a publisher for what would have been an underwhelming conference.

Are you the same person who typed both of these posts?
In your first post you actually explain to yourself why it makes sense to not having these companies show up annualy if they don't have anything substantial to show. And then in your next post you sound like a bitter fanboy who is angry that he didn't get his chance to "punish" a publisher for what would have been an underwhelming conference.

Because I have the capability to see both sides and not just blindly attack one side of the debate. I see one issue is that E3 is too often not giving companies time to create fulfilling presentations. That can be fixed with changing E3 from a yearly convention to every few years.

HOW. EV. ER.

That's not the case yet, so until that gets changed, my expectation is to see the big three at E3. And not crucify one side for putting up a showing and praising the other side for making no attempt at all. If that thought process wasn't clear enough, my apologies.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think it's the end of the generation and nobody has shit worth showing. Sony's choice to skip E3 was a strange one for sure, but I can't help but feel that E3 didn't need to happen at all.

On the contrary i think that has been the case a long time ago. Just look at how bad-mediocre both Sony's and MS's past E3 conferences have been and how much better they would have been if they showed up once every 2-3 years.

Yes I agree, which was the point of my first post. So these companies need to be like "Hey, this current convention schedule isn't gonna work anymore with how complex game development has become. We need a minimum of 2 years, preferably 3 between each E3. 12 months isn't feasible."

We still have a ton of smaller conferences they can pop up at.

But until that's official, at least show up. A lot of people don't actually sit at their computers like I do and keep up with trailers and gaming news the moment it's released. So I'm not gonna love Sony for sitting out while concurrently judging Microsoft for at least trying to give me something at E3 worth watching.

sublimit

Banned
I think it's the end of the generation and nobody has shit worth showing. Sony's choice to skip E3 was a strange one for sure, but I can't help but feel that E3 didn't need to happen at all.
It may didn't need to happen for Sony and others but Nintendo and Square Enix proved they had a lot of substantial new trailers,games and info to communicate. That's why i'm not so sure if it's a good idea to not have an E3 at all for 2-3 years. But then again if they REALLY need to show something in-between they can have their own shows/directs.

One thing is for sure though.As years pass by and games become more and more demanding and expensive we really need to temper our expectations significantly for these shows and not fall for their PR hype.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wonder if the resurgence in pre-rendered trailers is a reaction to all the recent "downgrade" controversies?

The thing people outside the business I dont think realize most of the time is that trailers/demo's etc are all separate child products of the title they are representing. Being asked to do one of these things is a project in itself; the goal being to make the best (and most solid, if its playable) impression for some date well in advance of submitting the final build of the parent.

Reverting to CG has a bunch of advantages insofar as (1) it can be outsourced, or at least reallocated to a separate animation team, (2) minimizing disruption to ongoing development, and (3) side-steps all the issues regarding matching 1:1 with the final at a time when footage gets dissected obsessively by the internet.

It wasnt. Even a bad conference is good publicity imo. MS was meh at e3, but im sure that just going there, talking about gampass games for console and pc still got them a bunch of new customers on both platforms. Thats what its ultimately about.

No one in the world says: "Hey sony wasnt there, and i respect that. Let me go buy a ps4!" No one.

The only people pushing that narrative are fanboys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom