• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your current game of the generation so far?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I am curious knowing what other people's singular game of this generation to date is so far, now we approaching close to the end with 2020 looming.

60c724a052275a049d857d53957dc38e9347742f52372bb956d992b43efa8fb5_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

For me without a doubt in my mind even now will have to be Witcher 3. That game's incredible craftmans ship on its narrative journey and exploration of its world is still the strong game experience I can feel across my senses. This game defined everything what this generational could provide me as a gamer and lover of the medium and story telling.

UnselfishSeriousIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif

Geralt was such an honor to enjoy the ride with all the way through. I am expecting great things with Cyberpunk 2077 after coming from this and hoping for the best. There's still a little time left with this title to potentially be replaced!

What is your pick?

AntiCap

Came here to say the Witcher 3. It's astounding they managed to pull off what they did. The scope, the narrative, the setting, the sheer depth of everything in it.

When you play a lot of games, you start to see the seams, and things become less magical. You start seeing the design behind it, and it forces you to meet it halfway in order to really enjoy it. I had kind of begrudgingly accepted that the Elder Scrolls would be the best we could expect from a game with that kind of scope. The Witcher 3 put some of the magic back in games for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... that's tough. Initially it was The Witcher 3 hands down, but I find myself going back to BoTW over and over again. It took a while to really click, but once it did, it's quickly become one of my favorite games of all time.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
For me personally, it has been Fortnite. It's ridiculous and honestly a bit embarrassing, but I've now put over 1400 hours into that game over the past year, and that number is still slowly climbing. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:
It’s really hard to decide between Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2, I love them both to the death. Two greatest games ever for me (and I’m a gamer since mid-90).

That being said, if I had gun pointed to me and had to decide, I would give it to Witcher.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

For me it is between Breath of the Wild, Monster Hunter World, and Dragon Quest XI.

Oh and a bit of a plot twist choice: World of Warcraft Classic. At any rate, I find it difficult to pick any one of these but the four have them have definitely racked up a ton of time on my PC and Switch.

KàIRóS

This is my Top 10 this gen:

1.- Dragon Quest XI
2.- The Witcher 3
3.- TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
4.- Final Fantasy XIV: ARR
5.- Devil May Cry 5
6.- Bloodborne
7.- Monster Hunter World
8.- Astral Chain
9.- Rocket League
10.- MGSV: The Phantom Pain

But Death Stranding, Cyberpunk 2077, FFVII:R and Tales of Arise have yet to come out so it will probably change.

Mobilemofo

Surprisingly, I'm gonna say Titanfall 2. It's given me many many hours of exhilarating gun play and wonderful moments. Better still, it only cost me £20 at launch. Now that's value for money. 600 odd hours plus and still play most days. Love it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Bloodborne no contest.

tumblr_o26f2plIww1tt3wuco3_500.gif

just the atmosphere in that game, it is intoxicating. sometimes a movie or a game will come out that reminds me of a recurring dream that i used to have, or if not that, some arcane aesthetic buried in the collective unconscious, and playing Bloodborne was like frequently having deja vu in some strange way. art design can be done well, but when you do it like this, it is beyond "good", it is sublime. there were areas in this game that gave me a spiritual happiness to see them. which is ironic with all the nightmarish things going on, but that's the beauty of it all, none of that clashes. extreme beauty and extreme horror. From really is on another level w this one. it brings to mind the mysticism of the drawings of Victorian fantasy artist Sidney Sime.

5806937663_d79295c4bd_b.jpg

i remember the first day my friend got it and I played it and was freaking out over how detailed everything was. the look of the ladder was insane, I think I made him stop playing so I could look at the ladder. all these crazy ornate carvings all over the place, the world is the most baroque and beautiful nightmare ever. like the work of the world's most insane OCD ironsmith tripping acid with Frank Frazetta and H.P. Lovecraft. gameplay wise, it was a lot of fun, and a lot more forgiving than Dark Souls. yet no game has ever sucked me into it's world quite like this one.

Last edited:

yodine53

God of war and Super Mario Odyssey. The quality of these games is bestial and both offer unique, magical experiences. I could not choose one.

pr0cs

Red Dead Redemption 2 but Bloodborne close behind. So many great games this Gen really.

I need to start Witcher 3 but I'm scared of the significant time investment.

Cracklox

Ya, I think The Witcher 3 as well. Although when I played and beat RDR2 at launch I thought it may unseat it, but having some time to reflect, maybe still W3. Just.

Shout outs to Bloodborne, God of War and Sekiro too

zenspider

If this gen includes Wii U, it's Splatoon. If not, it's probably Bloodborne.

Shout out to Xenoblade Chronicles X though - my sleeper GOTG. I need another playthrough to really place it in my head-pantheon, but it's of the best experiences I've had in gaming.

Into The Breach and Hollow Knight would round out a top 5, but something about indie games almost feel generation agnostic, don't they?

Top Bottom