• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your current game of the generation so far?

bobone

bloodborne-two-column-02-ps4-us-04jun14

Nothing else even comes close.
I would say this is the WORST generation I've experienced; except for the fact that From Soft exists and knocked it out of the park with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

I'm glad to see many others enjoyed it tho.

cireza

For me the strongest games this gen have been :
Nier Automata
Final Fantasy XV
Doom
Hitman
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Code Vein

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
For me (like so many others) the easy answer is Witcher 3. But I did enjoy the base game of Horizon Zero Dawn. Have yet to put in the new Dragon Quest, but it looks like I need to get to it ASAP. Don't have a Switch yet, but BoTW seems to come highly recommended here. RDR2 seems to be getting a lot of talk; I loved it for the first two weeks, but something else came out and I haven't been back since. Might be time to get back in the saddle to finish it up.

Upon re-evaluating my notes, I realized I forgot The Witch's House and Yomawari Midnight Shadows. They'd be above Parkitect but still below SOMA and Undertale I guess.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
- Dragon Quest XI
- Danganronpa V3
- Dragon Quest Builders
- NieR: Automata
- God of War
- Final Fantasy XV

Bloodborne, no doubt.

For myself, the runner ups were
Monster Hunter World
Darkest Dungeon
Mario Odyssey
Battle Brothers

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
For me it's between Quantum Break, Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassins's Creed Odyessy. I really love Gears 5 but not quite as much as those 3.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So many mentions for Xenoblade Chronicles X and it's the only game in the series I haven't played. I might have to fix that.

GymWolf

Horizon maybe.
Not a perfect game by a long shot, but he really nails the magic trio combat/story/graphics better than any other games in this gen for my taste. (Especially combat at ultra hard)

Runner up, probably yakuza 0 and dishonored saga.

But 2020 is full of incredibles games so my opinion can change at any moment.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Bloodborne the thread.
I still can't understand why.

Imo I'd give it to either the Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild. Those really pushed the medium a little bit more.

mekes

I got the most enjoyment from Bloodborne. Setting, challenge and game play are all great. I'm glad I played it at launch and wrestled with the story along with everybody else. Great expansion DLC, too.

Yu Furealdo

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Pretty much a perfect action game to me. The mix of stealth, gunplay, and story/atmosphere is just so well executed and satisfying.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

It's been a weird one. I haven't had that one game that's really knocked it out of the park that I can think of. That one game that's just a level higher than the rest. I have changed my mind a few times.

MGS5 was it for a while.

Overwatch was it for a while.

I want to say Bloodborne is the game of the gen and it probably is, but that's more my mind speaking than my heart.

I will probably have to go with Shovel Knight if I were to choose. Maybe my memory is just messed up, but I'm really struggling to remember my stand out game. I just know Shovel Knight has been a joy to play. I also loved Zelda BOTW.

Fbh

Hands down Bloodborne.
Demon Souls and Dark Souls were already 2 of my favourite games and Bloodborne took the formula to an amazing and unique setting while speeding up combat in a way that almost felt designed for people who went with "dex" builds in their previous games, which has always been my preferred option.

Codes 208

th

Now some of you may think I’m saying this ironically. But Im not. Even with the lack of a proper campaign (which I couldn't care less for in MP-centric shooters) it had an amazingly fluid MP. My friends and I must’ve spent a collective total of over a few thousand hours playing this in a course of four years. The guns felt good, the titans for fully customizable, the maps were amazing.

Titanfall 2 has a surprisingly good campaign for a shooter. But it watered down the MP killing a lot of the longevity for my group. It was still a good game but Titanfall 1 was still way better.

My runner ups would be Bloodborne, MH:W and BotW.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Uf, i will go with a probably not so popular opinion around here: halo 5. Even considering that the campaign was mediocre, mp is so fun.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dark Souls III - Bloodborne is amazing and it definitely deserves an award for overall design. The flow of the world and the transition to each area were amazing. Entering the Forbidden Woods or being caught by a jailer. There was so much life in the game and none of it required a cutscene or even a word of dialogue to witness. However, the enhancements to the controls and the sheer amount of enjoyment from exploring Dark Souls III is amazing. The weapons, the creatures, NPCs, the OST, locations and the satisfaction from defeating a boss is some of the series best. I can definitely see Elden Ring being another masterpiece from FromSoftware.

Sekiro is definitely up there. Its like asking me which car is the best. The two I've known about for years or the hottest model that just came out. I could say Sekiro, but the other two have had their time to sink in.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Exaggerations like this are why I hope certain games/companies fail.

Except he is right.

If you think being reminded of one's childhood wonder is so ludicrous that it must be an exaggeration, then all I have to say is that I'm sorry you're so joyless.

And to hope the company goes out of business...geez. I mean astrobot cost me $400 because it is the only game I've ever finished on my psvr in the 9 or 11 months that Ive had it, and I am satisfied. And that is coming from a cheap bugger.It is a magical game.

It still didnt beat Driveclub though for gotg for me because DC gave me that feeling of flow that very few single player videogames do as 99% of them are designed to be interactive entertainment first and foremost, and not actual games that you can plow hundreds/thousands of hours into and play over and over, as with irl games.

Last edited:

Pejo

Nioh and Octopath Traveler. I liked Bloodborne a lot, but the combat clicked for me in a big way in Nioh. Octopath was such a refreshing experience of the old type of JRPGs that I grew up on. It's impossible to pick between the two for me.

hunthunt

Banned
1 - Bloodborne.
2- God of War

It should have been The Witcher 3, because cmon, what an incredible world and fantastic tale but I fucking killed every monster smashing buttons randomly so nope.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If this gen includes Wii U, it's Splatoon. If not, it's probably Bloodborne.

Shout out to Xenoblade Chronicles X though - my sleeper GOTG. I need another playthrough to really place it in my head-pantheon, but it's of the best experiences I've had in gaming.

Into The Breach and Hollow Knight would round out a top 5, but something about indie games almost feel generation agnostic, don't they?

Can't imagine why the Wii U wouldn't be counted this generation. It's Nintendo's eight generation console alongside Sony's Playstation 4 and Microsoft's Xbox One.

It'll probably end up being Dreams but I need to find some time to really get into it. Also since it's still in Early Access i'll hold off on declaring it my favourite for now and go with Astro Bot.

Honourable Mentions: Mario Odyssey, Uncharted 4, BOTW, Spiderman, God of War, Wonderful 101

Last edited:

daninthemix

Alright, let me think, which games released 2014 or later and I really loved?

I must admit I found this generation to be by far the worst so far. Not a single JRPG I truly loved. My favorite developer tri-Ace released Exist Archive and Star Ocean Integrity And Faithless, but I didn't consider either as good as their previous games. The big and popular titles were all not for me either. Too text heavy, too many complex mechanics, too much menu browsing. I'm also a big Akitoshi Kawazu fan but so far he only remastered Romancing SaGa 2, which was pretty fun, but also far from my favorite SaGa entry.

So anyway, let's see which games I really liked this gen...
- Undertale
- Deltarune
- CrossCode
- Parkitect
- Slay The Spire
- They Are Billions
- Lords of the Fallen
- The Surge
- Frostpunk
- La-Mulana 2
- Tooth and Tail
- Hollow Knight
- Vaporum
- Cuphead
- Battle Brothers
- Downwell
- The Park
- Serpent in the Staglands
- Stasis
- SOMA
- Elminage Gothic
- Lords of Xulima
- Phantasy Star 20 years past
- Tetris Effect
- Lumines Remastered
- Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana
- Romancing SaGa 2 (Remastered)
- Star Ocean Integrity And Faithlessness
- Exist Archive

I'm sure I forgot something...

Alright, now I'll strike out the ones where I can find at least one title I can clearly say I enjoyed more... done... that didn't help too much.

Alright let me try to sort them...

1. SOMA
2. Undertale
3. Parkitect
4. Slay The Spire
5. Hollow Knight
6. Lumines Remastered
7. Deltarune
8. They Are Billions
9. The Surge
10. Phantasy Star 20 years past
11. Downwell
12. Vaporum
13. CrossCode
14. Elminage Gothic
15. Lords of the Fallen
16. Frostpunk
17. Tetris Effect
18. Tooth and Tail

Alright, I guess that means the answer is SOMA.

The OP didn't ask for your life story.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Uncharted 4 is one of them, Gears 5 is another, some of the greatest third person shooters of all time.

Paltheos

Bloodborne the thread.
I still can't understand why.

Imo I'd give it to either the Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild. Those really pushed the medium a little bit more.

Because it's a very good, popular game. I agree it's not game of the generation material. Especially after playing Dark Souls 3 first, many of its shortcomings are obvious. Too many beast bosses bigger than the screen that boil down to 'get behind him and go aggro'. Blood vials not replenishing on death is a mistake that's generally understated - I hate having to ever think about that, the only thing that should be on my mind is how to get through an area/boss. The level, art, and mob design are all really fantastic though - People are right to praise it. Chalice dungeons are a fun idea at extending game length. Trick weapons are fun to play with. It's really a good game but not that good.

Breath of the Wild's a contender for me too but it contends with GotY 2017 for me with a less spoken of title: A Hat in Time :3

A Hat in Time is just so wonderfully playful and happy and fun. It's the best platformer I've played in years, probably the best 3D one, at least, since Banjo-goddamn-Kazooie.

Top Bottom