• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your current game of the generation so far?

Rodolink

Because it's a very good, popular game. I agree it's not game of the generation material. Especially after playing Dark Souls 3 first, many of its shortcomings are obvious. Too many beast bosses bigger than the screen that boil down to 'get behind him and go aggro'. Blood vials not replenishing on death is a mistake that's generally understated - I hate having to ever think about that, the only thing that should be on my mind is how to get through an area/boss. The level, art, and mob design are all really fantastic though - People are right to praise it. Chalice dungeons are a fun idea at extending game length. Trick weapons are fun to play with. It's really a good game but not that good.

Breath of the Wild's a contender for me too but it contends with GotY 2017 for me with a less spoken of title: A Hat in Time :3

A Hat in Time is just so wonderfully playful and happy and fun. It's the best platformer I've played in years, probably the best 3D one, at least, since Banjo-goddamn-Kazooie.
A hat in time, damn I still have to finish that. So its that good huh? Better than Banjo means a lot to me since I consider Banjo such a great game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Did a quick tally of all posts up to #152. If your post tied two games I counted it as 0.5 for each. If your post tied three or more games I did not count it because fuck you.

The Witcher 3 - 21.5
Bloodborne - 19
Breath of the Wild - 10.5

Nier: Automata - 5.5
Astrobot - 3
No Man's Sky - 3
SOMA - 2
Driveclub - 2
Dragon Quest XI - 1.5
Titanfall 2 - 1.5
Dark Souls 3 - 1.5
Mario 3D World - 1.5

Everything else got 1 or less votes.

EDMIX

Easily. God Of War.

I like many games this gen from Nier to Yakuza Zero (the feels was REAL in that game), Persona 5, Resident Evil 2, Evil Within 2 (game doesn't get a lot of love) Metal Gear Solid 5 and many more. What I can tell you is that MGSV story was just a horrid mess, but amazing gameplay, Resident Evil 2 remake is a classic, but a remake of a story we've already heard and a concept we've already played none the less, I'd say most of the other titles I named have some issues here and there were they might be great titles, I don't know if I'd say game of the year let alone Game Of The Generation.

God Of War hits it in every single area out of the park, voice acting, sound design (don't get me started on listening to the world serpent for the first time with surround sound and base up on high) to the story giving the mega feels to the narrative of the world adding bits and pieces to the feel and concept of the world, to the Zelda like Puzzles that I actually put ABOVE BoTW by a farrrrrr margin, to the character development of Kratos going from a angry dude to someone that is now reflecting on that past life, to the epic combat that I never thought in a series could get more hard and epic, yet I found myself trying to get better, working with BOY to make up combos and using all of my abilities to fight a boss instead of "some" and spamming a button or something. Its a technical marvel and the only title this gen so far I can say hits it in every single area and a reboot that has now created the BOOK on how to do a smooth reboot to a series.

Maybe I'm wrong and Death Stranding or The Last Of Us 2 or Ghost Of Tsushima are the titles that knock it out of the park even further in every direction, but right now it belongs to God Of War.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif%2B%25282%2529.gif

Paltheos

A hat in time, damn I still have to finish that. So its that good huh? Better than Banjo means a lot to me since I consider Banjo such a great game.

If you actually stopped, you may not like it as much as I do. It picks up almost immediately imo so you should have had time to form an opinion on it after picking up a few time pieces.

For what it's worth, popular opinion on it is stellar. Its Steam rating is almost immaculate.

Yeah I'd go with this, loved every minute of it.

..Or Control, it's just so different and keeps you guessing.

I dont get the love for this game. Played it beat it and was like eh. Nothing special. Ok combat slow story. What did you like so much about it. Talking about nier

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont get the love for this game. Played it beat it and was like eh. Nothing special. Ok combat slow story. What did you like so much about it. Talking about nier
I personally loved story, characters, music and the combat was very fun.

twdnewh_k

Some pretty good games to choose from, but ultimately The Witcher 3 really is the game that I felt was and still is a few steps above everything else.

kunonabi

Yeah I dont really get it either. Nier's music was fantastic but I never felt that it excelled anywhere else. It's not bad and I enjoyed it but the overwhelming praise it gets is just a little weird to me.

ZehDon

God of War. Hands down.
When people talk “cinematic story telling” in games, we almost always end up with games that are more movie than game, where the gameplay feels like an after thought, or worse, a concession that must be made so we plebs can experience The Writing.
God of War delivers top tier... everything. Story telling is some of the best around, but the gameplay is also rock solid, with an embarrassment of riches in terms of content.
Visuals are fantastic. Soundtrack is as emotive as anything we’ve had this gen.

It’s the quintessential “Sony Game”, but it’s one that doesn’t have its head up its ass. It’s just a really really well made game that everyone should play.

Javthusiast

Banned
I‘m just gonna pick the games I spend the most time with, really enjoyed and the single player ones I actually beat.

In no particular order:

Nier Automata
Horizon Zero Dawn
Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain (huge disappointment as a big mgs fan and yet I still sunk 100 hrs into it because of gameplay lol)
Overwatch
Fortnite
Dead or Alive 5
Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:

Barnabot

Ace Combat 7. Playing almost religiously everyday.
Next is Forza Horizon 4 and its weekly Forzathons.
Then Monster Hunter World.

Chalk up another one for Witcher 3. It's simply one of, if not the best games ever made, never mind this generation. To keep up the level of quality it has in writing, graphics, world design, character design, music, quests, and to keep that level of quality up over an astoundingly generous amount of content was an incredible achievement. And then on top of that to release two enormous DLCs that actually surpassed the main game in quality and to support the game for so long after release with patches and QoL improvements, fixing many of the launch issues, is an achievement that I don't actually think will be topped in my gaming lifetime (gaming since 1988).

Most importantly, the way everything comes together is something special. It is more than the sum of its parts. The game has soul. Its characters and stories and atmosphere stay with you. Once I had completed the entire game, which took me over a year, I felt a sense of loss which I've never felt before after coming to the end of any piece of culture or entertainment.

kunonabi

Wrong. They overlap into the same generation.

Nope. By that metric any console that came out while other consoles were still kicking werent a new generation either. Switch is the Wii U successor and the console that is going to compete with Microsoft and Sony's next efforts. It's next gen.

MayauMiao

Still playing Fallout 4, more than any other PS4 titles. There is something addictive about building settlements and upgrading my character.

NBNW13

Neo Member
The Witcher 3 undoubtedly (might be my favorite game of all time), but RDR2 deserves recognition here because in a non Witcher 3 world, it would be running away with this for me. It’s a damn MASTERPIECE. I know people knock it on here because it’s a little too much of a simulator (even though it’s explicitly a cowboy simulator), but the game is FLAWLESS to me. Incredible story arc, phenomenal epilogue, great voice acting, mission and activity variety, and incredibly immersive. It’s my favorite Rockstar game of all time honestly and that’s a damn high bar to clear.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
COOMborne? I guess. It was one of the few games this gen I beat 4 times over.

6ff552dc-cf1c-43da-9de8-7596af9d752c.jpg

I still once in a while go back to it to raise my demon stats and maybe kill god to start all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
EWGQwTN.png

Thank you for everything Japan Studio and Gravity team for everything... the most marvelous cultural heritage of the gaming industry modern.

1.- Gravity rush 2
2.- Gravity rush remastered

gravity_rush_2-3604131.jpg

gravity-rush-remastered-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-17nov15

3.- Resident evil 2 remake
4.- Shadow of the Colossus remqke
5.-Spiderman
6.- Catherine full body
7.- Zelda Breath of the wild
8.- Yomawari
9.- Mario kart 7
10.- Zelda Links Awakening

BTW Bloodborne is famous thank you to the magic of Japan Studio and From Software

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
1.- Gravity rush 2
2.- Gravity rush remastered
3.- Resident evil 2 remake
4.- Shadow of the Colossus remqke
5.-Spiderman
6.- Catherine full body
7.- Zelda Breath of the wild
8.- Yomawari
9.- Mario kart 7
10.- Zelda Links Awakening

BTW Bloodborne is famous thank you to the magic of Japan Studio and From Software
I can respect this double post even thought I didn't like Gravity Rush since I dig somebody loving something to death without being ironic like MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima .

DelireMan7

Hard choice but Bloodborne might be the winner for me.

I don't count Dark Souls Remastered as game of this gen. Otherwise it would be it :)

Other notable game :
Horizon Zero Dawn
Dark Souls 3
Dragon Ball FighterZ
The last Guardian

Last edited:

small_law

Breath of the Wild, God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn are on my list. I'd have to think about it beyond those.

What's interesting to me is that there were a bunch of games that had a tremendous impact on the decade, but suffered from fundamental flaws. Stuff like Destiny and Fornite. I think when you look back at a decade, it isn't just about the best games, it's also about the games that established a legacy.

Sentenza

It's probably XCOM 2 with the War of The Chosen expansion.

Always liked the series since the original UFO Enemy Unknown but I used to be lukewarm about the Fireaxis reboot.

But with War of The Chosen they expanded and polished the core gameplay loop to the point I just recently realized it went from a "game I enjoy" to "one of my favorite games of all times".
I simply can't get enough to play these tactical missions and turn what seem to be overwhelmingly unfavorable odds at first into curb-stomp victories in my favor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom