• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your current game of the generation so far?

Did a quick tally of all posts up to #152. If your post tied two games I counted it as 0.5 for each. If your post tied three or more games I did not count it because fuck you.

The Witcher 3 - 21.5
Bloodborne - 19
Breath of the Wild - 10.5

Nier: Automata - 5.5
Astrobot - 3
No Man's Sky - 3
SOMA - 2
Driveclub - 2
Dragon Quest XI - 1.5
Titanfall 2 - 1.5
Dark Souls 3 - 1.5
Mario 3D World - 1.5

Everything else got 1 or less votes.
Surprised to see No Man's Sky so far up, though I guess I heard that with all the patches it's now actually decent.

Interesting pick. What elevates this to GOTG for you?
Not the person you asked but as I considered La-Mulana 2 as well, I thought the exploration aspect in it is really interesting. Every single room feels like it tells its own small story, every puzzle is different from the last and often includes interesting riddles. Also there are tons of shortcuts and secret areas and hundreds of possible paths to reach the goal. I also liked its challenge at first, though eventually it gets so hard that I had to give up out of frustration. Despite that, I still think it's one of the most unique game experiences I had this gen.

Last edited:

HelpYouFall

Driveclub. I'm still pissed off we'll never get the next game. It's one of the best racing games I've ever played. Cars handle very well, but it's not a simple arcade racer, visuals can look stunning especially when you add weather effects, the career progression is superb and the studio delivered on tons of varied content.

Just a FYI, I think you might like to look into the new GRID reboot, might scratch that itch for you.

IKSTUGA

Devil May Cry 5 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Those two are just sheer perfection on every level.

Honorable mentions: Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Super Mario Maker 2, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Last of Us Remastered, Life is Strange, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Tetris 99, Ori and the Blind Forest, Fallout 4 and Pokemon Let's Go (pure nostalgia).

Yet to play Bayonetta 2 or Nier: Automata, but I have high hopes for them. Ritual of the Night also!

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
  • Styx: Shards of Darkness.
  • Underworld: Ascendant.
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
  • Resident Evil 2.
  • Alien: Isolation.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Too many from which to choose but if I have to pick one:

alien-isolation-generaljpg-0a5ab5.jpg

SpiceRacz

A hat in time, damn I still have to finish that. So its that good huh? Better than Banjo means a lot to me since I consider Banjo such a great game.

Better than Banjo is a bold statement. Personally, I think the game was a disappointment. It's charming, but lacks polish in some areas. I think the level design in particular is mostly bad. This was also my most anticipated game for a long time. So, take that for what it's worth.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Damn idk but it's between Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn. Two games I fucking loved, replayed for hundreds of hours and just had me oooohing and ahhhhing. Would run home from work just to play and not get off for hours

Z..

Not sure I get the Witcher 3 fawning to be honest... I loved that game, but the gameplay was entirely too lacking for me to ever see it as the shining beacon of gaming some love to declare it to be. A game of the generation can never have lacking gameplay, gameplay is the single defining characteristic which diferentiates the medium.

Personally, Her Story probably takes the cake for it's entirely unique approach.

Boss Mog

For me it's gotta be God of War so far. I can't believe nobody has really picked it. Just an amazing experience in both storytelling and fun/challenging combat.

Honarable mentions go to:
Nier Automata
Spider-man
Uncharted 4
Titanfall 2
Astro Bot
Just Cause 3
Apex Legends

For me, it has got to be between Yakuza 0, Sonic Mania, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Persona 5.

If we count the Wii U as well (since it is part of the PS4/XB1 Gen), then I would also add Bayonetta 2 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions in there as well.

**Not counting Switch here or the 3DS/Vita for now.

Rodolink

Better than Banjo is a bold statement. Personally, I think the game was a disappointment. It's charming, but lacks polish in some areas. I think the level design in particular is mostly bad. This was also my most anticipated game for a long time. So, take that for what it's worth.
Yeah I remember when I first played it up to the first level felt very polished, in an indie way (camera work is usally where indie games lack in 3D)

Ristifer

Not sure I get the Witcher 3 fawning to be honest... I loved that game, but the gameplay was entirely too lacking for me to ever see it as the shining beacon of gaming some love to declare it to be. A game of the generation can never have lacking gameplay, gameplay is the single defining characteristic which diferentiates the medium.

Personally, Her Story probably takes the cake for it's entirely unique approach.
Conversely, a game doesn't have to be entirely unique, or have incredible gameplay, to be someone's GotG. It's all about the experience as a whole.

Shagger

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn for me. It gorgeous, fun to play, great story, great protagonist and whilst mechanically not that unique, it is unique in the ways that matter. I just loved it.

bloodborne
mgsV
nier automata
cuphead
celeste
rainbow 6 siege for multiplayer

if i had to choose one game it would be mgsV for the sheer amount of ways you can tackle missions, im also a sucker for stealth games and mgsV is one of the greatest stealth games ever made

Terenty

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
  • Styx: Shards of Darkness.
  • Underworld: Ascendant.
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
  • Resident Evil 2.
  • Alien: Isolation.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Too many from which to choose but if I have to pick one:

alien-isolation-generaljpg-0a5ab5.jpg

Sorry, Underworld Ascendant?? I reread it several times, there must be a mistake there?

Fake

Bloodborne for me. Don't get me wrong, Witcher 3 is a amazing game the Bloody Baron Arc is superb, but I can't enjoy that mix bag combat. The final battle on Bloodborne literally taked my breath.
I even take a screenshot while I playing for my friend see and he even got a PS4 because of that.
wA3RLlz.jpg
Best scene of all generation IMO.

Last edited:

Sleepy Bear

Neo Member
Subnautica did something to me, guys. I'm an insane fanatic of horror in every medium, but this game made me feel primal terror in a way few things have come close to. The thought of getting my supplies ready at my main base before plucking up the courage to dive deeper and deeper into that alien abyss still gives me shivers when I think about it; I got PTSD from that thing. The haunting sounds, the constant danger, descending into gaping maws and vast gulches, the creaking pressure on your submersibles, eyeballing the O2, all brilliantly justified by the gripping storyline. You have clear goals and reasons to explore, find upgrades, and fight this nightmare planet: to get the hell off of it. Fuck yeah.

I found its survival mechanics so much more fun than others, because they made sense to me in context with the sci-fi underwater setting. I didn't feel like I was in a game, fighting obtuse mechanics with the sole purpose of building more shit to keep playing and build more shit... You're surviving and exploring and crafting to get back home, which is so much better at engaging you than 99% of this genre manages, IMO.

There are so many 'holy shit' moments which yanked on my sanity that the feelings of relief when I finally got back to a base were profoundly relieving and satisfying. When I beat it, I did a full-on Arnie Predator scream. I just loved it. Great music and world/flora & fauna design, also.

-

Prey was another one that took me by surprise after hating the demo. It ended up not only winning me 'round, but crashing like a falling looking glass into my top five of the 2010s. I think it out-BioShocks BioShock, even if it literally stole stuff from it (getting locked in a freezer after giving your weapons to a psycho? really? what a subtle reference...). The characters, though, and the acting (Benedict Wong *muah*); the writing; the chilling audio logs; the mind-bending concepts of self and time and illusion; music; that gloopy gun for puzzling and funning and glooping; the grenade-thing that breaks enemies down into materials (fucking gnarly).

It also has perhaps the greatest jump-scare in videogame history. It's not even cheap, it makes perfect sense with regards to how you don't notice the creature (being the main concept of the game, in fact), and the way they make it so you're facing the right way at the right moment is natural and seamless. Man, I got got.

I'm tired from typing, so I'll just say I also love how you're encouraged to use your ingenuity and the tools you have to bend the game to your will sometimes. You can access many areas and skip large sections of the game if you just explore the possibilities of your gloop gun and execute some good timing skills, in ways Arkane surely would have known about. Dishonored also excelled in that way, though.

Terrific game. Fun, frequently thought-provoking, and beautifully executed, despite its BioShock thievery and basic gunplay.

Last edited:
Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have to chime in and say my other secondary game out of all software with what I've already mentioned has to go out Outer Wilds, an indie game. Even now I still look back on this incredible atmospheric experience and still blown away how much of an imprint this has left in my mind.

Such a wonderful game in every layer the team did. I would unconditionally implore anyone to give this title a go.

TUROK

Prey was another one that took me by surprise after hating the demo. It ended up not only winning me 'round, but crashing like a falling looking glass into my top five of the 2010s. I think it out-BioShocks BioShock, even if it literally stole stuff from it (getting locked in a freezer after giving your weapons to a psycho? really? what a subtle reference...). The characters, though, and the acting (Benedict Wong *muah*); the writing; the chilling audio logs; the mind-bending concepts of self and time and illusion; music; that gloopy gun for puzzling and funning and glooping; the grenade-thing that breaks enemies down into materials (fucking gnarly).
Lol, it just clicked that Morgan's dad is Benedict Wong.

I'm currently playing through this one and I am hooked.

There's quit a few for me; i can't choose one so, these are my top 12 games so far.....i think Code Vein will be added to the list soon ;)
se1MQDn.jpg
a3HPssL.jpg
l1jH4LF.jpg

UnByMTM.jpg
zr7OMFK.jpg
IOEuwIF.jpg

IMNP0GJ.jpg
N3Th6Em.jpg
WpbA2Il.jpg

z5tWvht.jpg
DOtllMN.jpg
zUoZA4h.jpg

1. Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko
2. Salt & Sanctuary
3. CryStar
4. Lord of Apocalypse
5. Record of Grancrest War
6. BloodBorne
7. Soul Sacrifice
8. The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition
9. SHIN HAYARIGAMI 1 AND 2
10. Zombi U
11. Vampyr
12. Code Vein (Maybe)

Vampyr bro?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's tough. this gen has been super disappointing in that there have been a lot of really great games with a lot of flaws.

To me, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the best world ever created. It's gorgeous. it's lively. It also has the best protaganist in a game ever and the best story ever told in a video game. The campaign is 45 hours long and does a fantastic job with the setpieces keeping things from getting boring. But it does get boring sometimes because the combat just isnt that much fun. Unlike God of War, Horizon, MGSV and Bloodborne which remained fun even after 100-200 hours.

The problem with those games is that their flaws also keep them from reaching the highs we typically see in GOAT games like MGS1, MGS3, MGS4, Mass Effect 2 and TLOU. Horizon has an underwhleming ending and a pretty basic cast of characters. The backstory is phenomenal but the main campaign is your standard euro jank. BB is godly but no story at all unless you are into reading items. MGSV's story and setpieces are a massive disappointment to the MGS1, MGS3 and MGS4 in me. God of War is by the most complete game of the bunch. Amazing story, wonderful characters and some phenomenal setpieces, but i played it right before RDR2 and i felt more engrossed in RDR2 than GOW. Maybe if GoW had more boss battles and setpieces. Maybe.

Then there is the last guardian which is easily the most impressive and the most emotionally draining game ive ever played. Impressive because of how Trico traversed these small envrionments and draining because well, those last two hours made me realize how close i had gotten with this beast. MGS3 has the best final 2 hours in video games, but i think this tops it. But the gameplay is just so simple i am not sure i can rank it above MGSV, Bloodborne, Horizon or God of War.

In short, i dont know. RDR2 seems like the obvious answer but lets face it, as time goes by, i am not going to remember it too fondly because of the lack of innovation in the gameplay department. Doesnt matter anyway, TLOU2 comes out soon and will have both an incredible story and some amazing gameplay.

If i had to rank it today, i would say

1) RDR2
2) GoW
3) The Last Guardian
4) Horizon
5) MGSV
6) Bloodborne
7) Witcher 3
8) Titanfall 2
9) Sekiro
10) Battlefield 1

Last edited:
One game still stands out to me as a masterpiece of this generation and possibly of all time: The Wonderful 101. It's magnificent ending cured my depression at that time I experienced it, something no video game has ever done to me before. But in general, the game is a masterpiece, so much magic packed into it. The gameplay's solid, the story is entertaining, it has memorable everything: characters, music, controls. It has this certain vibe to it, like a game from a sealed time capsule. Really does feel like a game straight from the 90's or something, but new. The Saturday morning cartoon vibe of it also felt really nostalgic. It's one of the few long games I can think of that I actually replay from start to finish. I'm really glad I was able to get this Kamiya/PlatinumGames classic new when it released in NintendoWorld (now Nintendo NY)...lol I tried to get it signed by Kamiya, but that was by luck...as a result, the person next to me got a signed copy, but not me. Ah well, I still have my Wonder Mask free handout from that day...a treasure I'll always cherish along with the game itself.

There's quit a few for me; i can't choose one so, these are my top 12 games so far.....i think Code Vein will be added to the list soon ;)
se1MQDn.jpg
a3HPssL.jpg
l1jH4LF.jpg

UnByMTM.jpg
zr7OMFK.jpg
IOEuwIF.jpg

IMNP0GJ.jpg
N3Th6Em.jpg
WpbA2Il.jpg

z5tWvht.jpg
DOtllMN.jpg
zUoZA4h.jpg

1. Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko
2. Salt & Sanctuary
3. CryStar
4. Lord of Apocalypse
5. Record of Grancrest War
6. BloodBorne
7. Soul Sacrifice
8. The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition
9. SHIN HAYARIGAMI 1 AND 2
10. Zombi U
11. Vampyr
12. Code Vein (Maybe)

Loved this reply for a mention of ZombiU. That's my Honorable Mention for Game of the Generation...a really inspired survival horror that feels so underrated even by fans of survival horror. It's asymmetric CTF mode is also brilliantly executed. I got my Wii U as a ZombiU Wii U bundle and is worth every cent I spent on it.

The combat is good enough to not intrude in my overall enjoyment of the game. It's repetitive, but there's enough variety between enemy encounters and sub-mechanical nuance (like spells, oils, elixirs) to keep it interesting. I never got the other interactivity complains - like movement. But i do understand it if the choice available for playthrough is only the PS4 version. I think the PS4 version is a poor port, and not a good way to experience The Witcher 3.

It's relatively easy to understand the complaints. Because the combat is not designed for a SoulsBorne/Sekiro fan. It's not designed for that specific sub-set of fanbase of From Software's recent output. It's also not designed for 3rd person pure-action game hardcore fans (DMC/Bayonetta/MGS: Revengeance/etc.). What it's designed to be, is casual-friendly, and easy enough to get into. As it should be, because it doesn't try to appeal to a small fanbase. What it does try and successfully does so, is appeal to the widest demographic possible. The Witcher 3 doesn't feature the same overall control responsiveness (because there are a lot of animations in-between the press of a button and actual interactive element kicking in) as the above mentioned. The melee animations are designed to be longer, and depending on the distance between you and the enemy (basically the overall position), those melee animations are going to differ; Which is off-putting. And this design behavior may feel as if you're not in direct control of the character in the Witcher 3 as you are in other video games. And truthfully, you're not. Fortunately, i simply hit a rhythm after getting used to it and enjoyed it.

Besides, there's a strong modding community around The Witcher 3 that have made a few excellent packages with alleged fixes ranging from simple balance issues to total overhauls of the mechanics.

Z..

The combat is good enough to not intrude in my overall enjoyment of the game. It's repetitive, but there's enough variety between enemy encounters and sub-mechanical nuance (like spells, oils, elixirs) to keep it interesting. I never got the other interactivity complains - like movement. But i do understand it if the choice available for playthrough is only the PS4 version. I think the PS4 version is a poor port, and not a good way to experience The Witcher 3.

It's relatively easy to understand the complaints. Because the combat is not designed for a SoulsBorne/Sekiro fan. It's not designed for that specific sub-set of fanbase of From Software's recent output. It's also not designed for 3rd person pure-action game hardcore fans (DMC/Bayonetta/MGS: Revengeance/etc.). What it's designed to be, is casual-friendly, and easy enough to get into. As it should be, because it doesn't try to appeal to a small fanbase. What it does try and successfully does so, is appeal to the widest demographic possible. The Witcher 3 doesn't feature the same overall control responsiveness (because there are a lot of animations in-between the press of a button and actual interactive element kicking in) as the above mentioned. The melee animations are designed to be longer, and depending on the distance between you and the enemy (basically the overall position), those melee animations are going to differ; Which is off-putting. And this design behavior may feel as if you're not in direct control of the character in the Witcher 3 as you are in other video games. And truthfully, you're not. Fortunately, i simply hit a rhythm after getting used to it and enjoyed it.

Besides, there's a strong modding community around The Witcher 3 that have made a few excellent packages with alleged fixes ranging from simple balance issues to total overhauls of the mechanics.

I'm fine with the gameplay, for the most part... I've been playing the Witcher games since day 1 so truthfully 2 and 3 are masterpieces in that regard when compared to the first game (soooo clunky), it's never been the series' strong suit and it's honestly something that is perfectly okay with me since it pretty much achieves what it's trying to perfectly. I'm merely saying that such an approach to games always fails to capture that unique magic that a solid gaming system provides, like that moment when you first play Superhot or reaching that zen state when knee-deep in a playthrough of Celeste or Bloodborne or something like that... it's an unparalleled feeling that can't be replicated by any other mediums! It's also something that is completely absent from the Witcher games.

Top Bottom