• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your current game of the generation so far?

D.Final

Banned
My game of the generation is
Final Fantasy XV.

tv6Jsri.png

As a great multimedia narrative universe.

An exceptional and epic story.
A game that has been able to convey many, and splendid, emotions.
A magnificent Final Fantasy.

Last edited:
It's probably XCOM 2 with the War of The Chosen expansion.

Always liked the series since the original UFO Enemy Unknown but I used to be lukewarm about the Fireaxis reboot.

But with War of The Chosen they expanded and polished the core gameplay loop to the point I just recently realized it went from a "game I enjoy" to "one of my favorite games of all times".
I simply can't get enough to play these tactical missions and turn what seem to be overwhelmingly unfavorable odds at first into curb-stomp victories in my favor.

Great game, playing it right now, but nobody play the PS4 version on commander difficulty. Once you get into levels that have like 50+ lost zombies and a chosen summoning in allies the game chugs awfully and crashes out regularly at the end of your turn. Then you have to wait for it to slooooowly load up and try to take your turn in a slightly different way, hoping the game doesn't crash out this time.

Aside from the technical nightmares it is really fun and adds a ton of cool stuff to X-Com2, but I personally feel like X-Com: Enemy Within was perfect. That's a game I loved replaying over and over on Classic difficulty Iron Man mode, whereas I'm not sure I will replay War of the Chosen at all. Admittedly the technical problems are a major factor, but it also doesn't feel quite as clean and tight gameplay wise to me.

Sentenza

Great game, playing it right now, but nobody play the PS4 version on commander difficulty. Once you get into levels that have like 50+ lost zombies and a chosen summoning in allies the game chugs awfully and crashes out regularly at the end of your turn. Then you have to wait for it to slooooowly load up and try to take your turn in a slightly different way, hoping the game doesn't crash out this time.

Aside from the technical nightmares it is really fun and adds a ton of cool stuff to X-Com2, but I personally feel like X-Com: Enemy Within was perfect. That's a game I loved replaying over and over on Classic difficulty Iron Man mode, whereas I'm not sure I will replay War of the Chosen at all. Admittedly the technical problems are a major factor, but it also doesn't feel quite as clean and tight gameplay wise to me.
I thought Enemy Within was a nice improvement over vanilla XCOM 1, but it still couldn't address some major flaws of the first game (like a base building that had basically just ONE right order of progress to go and a limited amount of maps that already started to feel repetitive at your second playthrough).
XCOM 2 had me with mixed feelings at first, but I honestly think War of the Chosen added some CRUCIAL improvements. The campaign feel far less linear, between unique stats (combat intelligence) and and entirely new third tree of unique perks each soldier feel way more unique. The fatigue mechanic forces way more turnover among your men, which in the long term makes for a far larger and more diversified roster of top soldiers, and this ties wonderfully with covert missions that give you even more chances to hire and/or level up men. So you have a larger roster with a larger amount of high level and unique soliders that you are forced more vehemently to rotate. Perfect.
Also, the increased number of types of missions in general, the procedural maps, the cool mechanics like ambush, evac and rescue, etc, etc.
Basically everything is an improvement, bar few minor nitpicking.

Oh, and admittedly I played it on a decent PC with a SSD so I didn't suffer too much about the performance issues or long loading times. Also, the game in 1440p and 80+ fps is fucking gorgeous and a pleasure to play, to be honest.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I thought Enemy Within was a nice improvement over vanilla XCOM 1, but it still couldn't address some major flaws of the first game (like a base building that had basically just ONE right order of progress to go and a limited amount of maps that already started to feel repetitive at your second playthrough).

I can't really follow you on the linearity of base building, I suppose you're right but I don't remember feeling especially constrained in EW or all that free in WotC. I suppose I could make a psi chamber really early or something but I wasn't really enticed to stray from whatever seemed like the most efficient build order. Maps are great, but I would say even better than EW, which I also felt had a ton of maps, with the exception of specific missions that always take place in every game I didn't feel like I was repeating the same maps very often.

XCOM 2 had me with mixed feelings at first, but I honestly think War of the Chosen added some CRUCIAL improvements. The campaign feel far less linear, between unique stats (combat intelligence) and and entirely new third tree of unique perks each soldier feel way more unique. The fatigue mechanic forces way more turnover among your men, which in the long term makes for a far larger and more diversified roster of top soldiers, and this ties wonderfully with covert missions that give you even more chances to hire and/or level up men. So you have a larger roster with a larger amount of high level and unique soliders that you are forced more vehemently to rotate. Perfect.

Pretty much have to agree with you about these improvements. I certainly agree that the soldier perks are awesome in WotC. The ability to give your guys such customizable abilities is insanely powerful and fun. I especially agree the fatigue mechanic is crucial. A big part of what's great about xcom is the tension of being forced to take weaker or less suitable soldiers on a difficult mission and the fatigue mechanic keeps that from fading away as your forces grow stronger, it's great. Covert missions also tie into this really well, no doubt.

I'd also add that the chosen themselves really add something to the game. Insanely powerful bad guys who can take on your whole team, it's like when all of the X-men have to team up to fight Magneto or something. And it kind of incorporates the nemesis system from shadows of mordor in a way, with the chosen gradually developing new powers as the months pass, like immunity to melee or some other cool ability. You get stuck with this great decision of whether you should attack their base now, even if you don't feel ready yet, or wait knowing they will grow even more powerful. And the weapons they drop feel so empowering to wield, truly a worthy reward for the difficult task of taking them down.

But they also tie in a bit to why I prefer EW, and I think it's just because of the way I like to play X-Com. I fell completely in love with Ironman mode, where you only have one auto-save and any consequences of your mistakes are permanent. It might sound nightmarish, and it is in a way, but beating EW Classic Ironman mode (after losing multiple times) is probably the most rewarding strategy game experience of my whole life. When you can't load away your problems, every decision really counts, so the sunken feeling of permanently losing a good soldier after a failed mission really hurts, but in the same way the thrill of pulling off a difficult mission is incredibly satisfying, much more so than when the game is played normally. I feel like EW is made to be best experienced in ironman mode, but that may also be why the design is a bit simpler and more linear. Still, I would say the difference in the gameplay experience between playing EW regularly and playing it on ironman is actually a bigger difference than playing X-Com 2 vanilla and playing WotC, even though EW Ironman doesn't add new content the way WotC does. For all I know you already play ironman mode, but If you've never tried it, it's so awesome and game changing that it could raise your opinion of EW.

I haven't got to try it, but I expect that the design of WotC isn't better suited to ironman mode than regular mode. I just raided a chosen's base and it was insane. After using all my team's best abilities working together to kill the chosen, they kept endlessly respawning while an army also kept teleporting in to attack me at the same time, while I was supposed to be destroying some high hp artifact to end the chosen's constant respawns. It seemed almost impossible even when I could reload earlier turns! And there are more of those timer based missions than there were in EW, missions where you can't be cautious and instead have to charge ahead, which is absolutely brutal on ironman mode. Still, I'd like to try it, but I don't dare when the game crashes so much on my PS4, I could be having a great time deep in the game and get stuck in an infinite crash loop.

Another reason I prefer EW might be that I'm not an X-com veteran like you, EU was my first exposure to the series. So it may have a certain glow to it, the way your first experience with a certain type of game makes a stronger impact on you.

Oh, and admittedly I played it on a decent PC with a SSD so I didn't suffer too much about the performance issues or long loading times. Also, the game in 1440p and 80+ fps is fucking gorgeous and a pleasure to play, to be honest.

That must be truly a joy. It looks lush on PS4 with great models and amazing lens flares and other lighting effects, it just can't run for shit. The sound of glass breaking doesn't even synchronise with when your soldier jumps through a window. Better than when I tried X-com 2 vanilla on my old pc though, lol.

Denton

I do not have one, I have three on equal 10/10 terms, and it is these three:

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

witcher3_2017_11_04_2o6j4q.png

witcher3_2017_10_24_0ssbmd.png

Kingdom Come: Deliverance:

379430_20190823015643q8j7d.png

379430_20190824005613rsj47.png

Red Dead Redemption 2:

DsyQ6OfWoAA9FMI

Ds9zdhCWwAEbUwJ

All these are brilliant.
I spent 150+ hours in each and I always look forward to playing them again one day (well, I am still playing Kingdom Come, at 170 hours and I do not want it to end, but I am close).
True works of art made by teams of brilliant people.

Yoboman

Every generation for me I t’s been a single player game. Something soaked in atmosphere or story or a unique hook. God of War should have been this game for this gen. It gripped me from finish to end like few other games, excelling in story, visuals, sound and a unique and rewarding gameplay loop. It took one of my favourite franchises and threw in a mid sized hub map and some RPG lite mechanics - which I absolutely loved in games like Arkham or Souls

But it’s not God of War because it came out the same gen as ...

rocket_l.jpg

Rocket League is the all time greatest multiplayer, sports and competitive game I’ve ever played. And it’s fucking hot wheels soccer.

I rarely play multiplayer traditionally and here I am with thousands or hours and still picking it up every weekend

What makes it the combination of the simplicity of a concept with mechanics so fine tuned and well thought out that many would describe it as having an infinite skill ceiling. 5 years later players are still finding new mechanics

It’s the closest thing to an actual sport in gaming. And it achieves that because where something like NBA 2k and FIFA require you to be good from simply timing button presses right, Rocket League require you to consider angles, ball physics, momentum, and the quality of your own movement against the exact same considerations being made by your opponent

So that’s why Rocket League is the best game this gen. There is simply nothing like it, and if nothing else it wins the prize for uniqueness

lefty1117

Gold Member
It's Red Dead Redemption 2 for me. And now with the Frontier Update the online game has come into its own. Lots of great suggestions in this thread though.

Caffeine

It was pretty tough, I have played through every major game released this gen.

1. Sonic Mania - The best sonic game ever made, its only flaw is not enough original content.
2. Doom - One of the biggest releases and put doom back to form, only flaw the mp sucks.
3. Alien Isolation - Most intense horror game this gen, cat and mouse aspect is repetitive as fuck and drags on.
4. Killer Instinct - The only thing wrong is support was basically ended too early. It could still be a top fighting game. Which is weird since microsoft is super service heavy now.
5. Bloodborne - The best from software game, the only flaw is some chromatic aberration that cant be turned off low image quality in some aspects.

GV82

Hitman (1 & 2) as a full package when you download hitman 2016 as level dlc with the new features from Hitman 2 & little minor graphic upgrades.

I haven’t stopped going back to those 2016 levels for 3 yrs & I never get bored, going around playing it is as a murder simulator whichever way I please.
Also Hitman 2 was the only Collectors Edition I have bought this Generation.

That said there are so many other great games, but because I go back to it so much it is my personal current fave of the Gen.

These Hitman games are the only games this gen that let me kill Gary Busey, Gary Cole & Sean Bean (Twice)

Last edited:

chozen

Hard to decide between Destiny 1 or 2 at this rate. But probably D2 after shadowkeep drops.

Raid experiences are unlike anything else this generation/gaming has to offer. (Speaking from a long mmo history)

Runner ups are P5 and God of War.

Can someone explain to me the hype behind Bloodborne? I already platinumed years ago, shrugged my shoulders, and never touched it again.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I can safely say that despite it only being September, through 2019, my game of the generation will still be The Witcher III: Wild Hunt. Played and completed it twice in approximately 300 hours each time. Did 95% of the entire game except for Gwent (meh, no interest) and a few random side quests that I could never get to trigger so I just said forget them.

Played and completed both expansions which added at least another 100 or so hours to the 600 hour total of the base game and are the standard in which every DLC/expansion is held against to for me personally. Four years later, despite a few great expansions, nothing has matched the two expansions for The Witcher III let alone surpass them.

2020 and beyond wise, I only see The Last of Us Part II as being a contender to surpass it and even then, probably not because a massive open world RPG at the level of The Witcher III is simply more impressive than any linear/wide linear could ever be to me.

Some may wonder why I don't list Cyberpunk 2077 and that's for two reasons. First, I see it being delayed until late 2020 and be a cross-gen launch title and second, even if that doesn't happen, im fully expecting a next gen updated and superior port and would rather wait for that because it would kick off next gen at an amazingly high level right from the start/day one.

cryogenic7

Sadly in 20 years when this gen is looked back on, Fortnite will always be the answer.

It doesn’t matter what we think, it sunk itself into the mainstream consciousness, and there is very little we can do about it.
Never played it, never will.

Trogdor1123

I spent the most time on remakes actually. Dark souls and Skyrim. Is there a way to see how many hours you put into each game on ps4?

I spent the most time on remakes actually. Dark souls and Skyrim. Is there a way to see how many hours you put into each game on ps4?

I don't know about skyrim but in Souls I just add together the playtimes listed next to all my different characters on the character select screen. And it's a high number, oh my.

longer current gen list from me...

1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls II
3. Dark Souls lll
4. Doom
5. Prey
6. Red Dead Redemption 2
7. RE 7 tie Destiny Taken King/Rise of Iron - how do I always forget a game when I make a list?
8. South Park the Stick of Truth
9. Destiny 2: Forsaken
10. Fallout 4

excluded remasters/re-releases, only games originally launched between Nov. 2013 till now.

Last edited:

MrRogers

Subnautica and then these...

The Evil Within 2
Bloodborne
Resident Evil 7

There is shitload of current gen games I haven't played yet tho. I feel like only now in 2019, ive played enough games from the previous gen of ps3/360/wii to give a fairly accurate GOTG for that gen. But for right now, out of the 100 or so games ive put a decent amount of time into, released since the WII U till now, those 4 titles stand out the most for me.

Last edited:

Erimus

Neo Member
I’ve still got so many AAA games I need to play including: Breath of the Wild, God of War, Bloodbourne and RDR2.

From what I have played though, it’s close between the Witcher 3 and TLOU. TLOU was an incredible experience from start to finish. The pacing of the story, world setting and gameplay - all brilliant. A story I enjoyed the most in gaming. Can’t wait for the sequel.

When I first started Witcher 3, having not played any of the series and not being the biggest RPG/Open World fan, I was totally overwhelmed. Nearly gave up on it for that reason. But I stuck with it and 200+ hours played later, I’m so glad I did. I’ve not put anywhere near the amount of hours into a non-football game (FIFA/PES) as I have done TW3. It just clicked with me eventually and I lost countless hours trying out many different builds with different gear/weapons. Loved the combat, loved the world, loved the side quests, loved the characters/story. Also went straight into both DLCs after the main story and loved them both.

For that reason, it’s my current GOTG so far. It was revolutionary for me, personally as no Open World or RPG game had held my attention like it (RDR, Fallout series etc). It’ll be interesting to see if any of the ones I need to play, listed above, beat it for me.

Last edited:

Grieves

No Man's Sky - The only game I've got the platinum for and carried on playing. +400 hrs so far.

MGSV - The closest thing I've played to Far Cry 2. Excellent gameplay.

The Last Guardian - Ah, the feels.

Phase

Absolutely loved Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata. But I think I have to give it to Bloodborne just for being an all around masterpiece.

Nero_PR

Banned
Driveclub was incredible, even though short-lived. Nier Automata is all I wanted it to be from a Yoko Taro game.

But my most played game and the reason I jumped for the 8th generation when it launched is Destiny. The game had a lot of lows and flaws, but in the gameplay department, it is just perfect.

I don't feel ashamed to say that I double dipped for Destiny 2 on PC. I got all the expansions so far (all at launch), but never bought anything from their cash shop.

What made the game for me was the experiences I had along the way. Made lots of friends, lost a lot of friends. Had jumped between multiple clans. Left the game twice disappointed with Bungie and Activision's decisions. I returned when I saw that they changed a lot of what the community complained about. It is a game where I have FUN.

The future seems a lot more bright for Destiny. I know I will be there to witness it.

Nero_PR

Banned
No Man's Sky - The only game I've got the platinum for and carried on playing. +400 hrs so far.

MGSV - The closest thing I've played to Far Cry 2. Excellent gameplay.

The Last Guardian - Ah, the feels.
I couldn't finish The Last Guardian for a second time. I am a grown-up man, but I cried like a kid when I got to the top of the Tower. I still have to finish my second playthrough. One day I will.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Breath of the Wild

Witcher 3 came first, but Zelda perfected how open world games are. If you don't do a open world game at least on par with BotW, you failed

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
This will likely be unpopular - but for me it is:

The Last Guardian.

The simplicity, the story, the puzzles and the emotional highs and lows all made it a phenomenal game for me especially during that time in my life. The music and scenery did it’s job as well.

It was a refreshing switch from most games today.

I didn’t ever beat BoTW yet, as somebody stole it from me and I just haven’t had the time to rebuy and now restart as it has been so long, but I am sure there is promise there too. I also have Spider-Man and KH3 in my backlog. Looking forward to those.

The game I spent the most time playing this generation was probably Rocket League. Fantastic. I suppose it would be my second place,

I can think of so many more games I enjoyed in the last decade than this one. I don’t know if I am just getting older, or if the games are legitimately just getting less fun for my personal taste. Either way, not too much really stuck with me besides what I listed.

mcz117chief

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces, we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!

Also, the radio communication throughout the stages is hilarious
That's from 4. This is from 5:

Oh we are the valiant infantry, we are the Alpha team with passion and camaraderie.
Hear us as we shout at the top of our lungs, be calm, be bold and raise your guns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom