• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your current game of the generation so far?

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces, we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!

Also, the radio communication throughout the stages is hilarious

We better beat these bugs before we're all turned to soup!

Also from 4 but that's the one I'm playing right now, would love to have 5 but until I've exhausted 4 it doesn't feel worth it to spend another 60 bucks.

Katsura

That's from 4. This is from 5:

Oh we are the valiant infantry, we are the Alpha team with passion and camaraderie.
Hear us as we shout at the top of our lungs, be calm, be bold and raise your guns.
Oh right, thanks. I had an EDF marathon at one point so some of the details are kinda blurry

lefty1117

Gold Member
I don't feel ashamed to say that I double dipped for Destiny 2 on PC. I got all the expansions so far (all at launch), but never bought anything from their cash shop.

Dude. There is no shame in using the cash shop. Do what you want to do for yourself, if people are giving you a hard time it's from their on selfish self-interests. you do you.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Here's my attempt at pissing a bunch of you off.

BloodBorne is not even the best of the Soulsborne series. Darksouls 3 is a better game. I'll list my reasons.

1. Bell Maiden is for pussies. Yea...you can go kill the maiden to keep me from charging into your game to rip you a new one. It ruins the sense of ever-present danger that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is known for. I'm not even a red player, but I enjoy having a time getting through the enemies when all of a sudden "A wild Red player appears". It increases the tension ten-fold and I think having the bell maiden gave players an easy way out.

2. Weapons in Bloodborne were interesting but less numerous. Souls games are known for having many different tier of weapons of different types. That repertoire was diminished in Bloodborne. You had the switch mechanic or whatever, but that alone shouldn't meant you have less weapon types over all. It made for less unique builds.

3. Armor, coats, whatever...was largely inconsequential. You were again, severly limited compared to other Souls Games.

4. Very little viable options for magic builds. First of all, magic was tied to ammo, which sucks and severely limited a persons ability to go full magic if they wanted. Then the spells themselves were terribly inefficient.

5. FUCK CHALICE DUNGEONS. The most boring, repetitive garbage I've ever played. Then they locked weapon variants in these bore fests. Very little story attached to the dungeons. It was just a bad idea. Sorry, not sorry.

6. Dark Souls 3 mashed up Bloodborne movement with tranditional Dark Souls movement. A match made in Heaven.

7. Dark Souls 3 had more varied environments especially when considering the DLC...though I will concede that Bloodborne had more interesting boss fights, but not by much.

8. Dark Souls 3 had team arena pvp. First attempted in Dark Souls 1...it was finally realized properly in DS3. Bloodborne had...nothin son.

Grumble Grumble Grumble lets argue rawr.

Here's my attempt at pissing a bunch of you off.

BloodBorne is not even the best of the Soulsborne series. Darksouls 3 is a better game. I'll list my reasons.

1. Bell Maiden is for pussies. Yea...you can go kill the maiden to keep me from charging into your game to rip you a new one. It ruins the sense of ever-present danger that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is known for. I'm not even a red player, but I enjoy having a time getting through the enemies when all of a sudden "A wild Red player appears". It increases the tension ten-fold and I think having the bell maiden gave players an easy way out.

2. Weapons in Bloodborne were interesting but less numerous. Souls games are known for having many different tier of weapons of different types. That repertoire was diminished in Bloodborne. You had the switch mechanic or whatever, but that alone shouldn't meant you have less weapon types over all. It made for less unique builds.

3. Armor, coats, whatever...was largely inconsequential. You were again, severly limited compared to other Souls Games.

4. Very little viable options for magic builds. First of all, magic was tied to ammo, which sucks and severely limited a persons ability to go full magic if they wanted. Then the spells themselves were terribly inefficient.

5. FUCK CHALICE DUNGEONS. The most boring, repetitive garbage I've ever played. Then they locked weapon variants in these bore fests. Very little story attached to the dungeons. It was just a bad idea. Sorry, not sorry.

6. Dark Souls 3 mashed up Bloodborne movement with tranditional Dark Souls movement. A match made in Heaven.

7. Dark Souls 3 had more varied environments especially when considering the DLC...though I will concede that Bloodborne had more interesting boss fights, but not by much.

8. Dark Souls 3 had team arena pvp. First attempted in Dark Souls 1...it was finally realized properly in DS3. Bloodborne had...nothin son.

Grumble Grumble Grumble lets argue rawr.

Dark Souls 3 is the most linear entry with few deviations from the main path, with the least intricately designed world ever regardless of how well done individual areas can be. It's also easily the shortest entry on top of this. I think 3 is actually pretty underrated but there are pretty clear reasons to prefer Bloodborne to it. While you could use the same starting weapon and armor for 90% of the game besides maybe putting on different armor for poison or something takes away from the RPG elements it does also make the game feel like a more focused experience. The entire game balanced around your ability to beat anything with the starting weapon whereas such runs in a DS game are strictly for pros at the game making videos for Youtube and shit. Bloodborne is also wholly original whereas much of DS 3 is "remember this?" from a prior game, as much as I enjoy revisiting Anor Londo or the clear references the final boss fight represents it felt like fan pandering after people got so upset about how unique part 2 was. I prefer the Lovecraftian horror vibe of Bloodborne but that's really just preference, there's still some horror to DS 3 but it's a bit more epic fantasy with horror thrown in, which is pretty neat in its own right especially in the second half when things get darker. That said enemy variety/designs and boss designs are simply amazing for a horror junkie like me in Bloodborne but I was left a bit more wanting with DS 3.

They're both among my favorite games, so it's hard for me to knock one down to elevate another.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Chalice dungeons get a bad rep. I thought they were one of the best aspects of the game for those who like to grind and do successive New Game+ playthroughs. An infinite set of dungeons with new configurations of enemies and the chance of good loot is far more interesting than running through the same corridor several times farming for echoes and blood vials. It was an answer to an existing problem in the Souls franchise.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Dark Souls 3 is the most linear entry with few deviations from the main path, with the least intricately designed world ever regardless of how well done individual areas can be. It's also easily the shortest entry on top of this. I think 3 is actually pretty underrated but there are pretty clear reasons to prefer Bloodborne to it. While you could use the same starting weapon and armor for 90% of the game besides maybe putting on different armor for poison or something takes away from the RPG elements it does also make the game feel like a more focused experience. The entire game balanced around your ability to beat anything with the starting weapon whereas such runs in a DS game are strictly for pros at the game making videos for Youtube and shit. Bloodborne is also wholly original whereas much of DS 3 is "remember this?" from a prior game, as much as I enjoy revisiting Anor Londo or the clear references the final boss fight represents it felt like fan pandering after people got so upset about how unique part 2 was. I prefer the Lovecraftian horror vibe of Bloodborne but that's really just preference, there's still some horror to DS 3 but it's a bit more epic fantasy with horror thrown in, which is pretty neat in its own right especially in the second half when things get darker. That said enemy variety/designs and boss designs are simply amazing for a horror junkie like me in Bloodborne but I was left a bit more wanting with DS 3.

They're both among my favorite games, so it's hard for me to knock one down to elevate another.
I don't feel like having less deviations is necessarily a bad thing. There's no magic number for how many deviations make a game better or worse so I'll just stick a pin in that and mark it as "duly noted". Maybe I'm scatter brained, but I don't want a more focused experience. I mean how can one complain about linearity and then argue that a more focused experienced is a good thing? I'll agree that maybe the map design in DarkSouls 3 isn't as intricate and complicated as DS1 but in DS3 you could run from place to place almost as seemlessly as you could in DS1. There were plenty of branching paths for my tastes. Bloodborne was good in that respect as well, that was never a complaint. My complaint was the environments were largely the same in Bloodborne. I mean you had your classic poison swamp here n there and I get that it's this Victorian era supernatural type of setting a library...and the water world where you fought Kos (Kosm?), but Dark Souls 3 had the lava levels, the castles, the winter levels, the forests, the poison swamps, graveyards, your did a boss fight literally on top of a got damn cloud. You had odes to the DS1 areas like Anor Londo. I mean come on man.

I dig the horror in Bloodborne, for sure. It was never a complaint. But that alone didn't make up for how much they stripped from the core experience I'm used to in Souls games. The bosses in Bloodborne are the best of all souls games, hands down. Still doesn't save it for me though.

In a lot of From Software games, most notably Armored Core and Chromehounds, the game is all about the tinkering. Armored Core 4 and For Answer was especially deep in tweaking every little thing about your mech to make it function exactly how you wanted. I loved that Dark Souls was an entirely different game but still kept some of that in depth customization. When Bloodborne took that customization down a few pegs, I was not happy.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Chalice dungeons get a bad rep. I thought they were one of the best aspects of the game for those who like to grind and do successive New Game+ playthroughs. An infinite set of dungeons with new configurations of enemies and the chance of good loot is far more interesting than running through the same corridor several times farming for echoes and blood vials. It was an answer to an existing problem in the Souls franchise.
I get hey tried to make the grind interesting. And what Souls game doesn't include a skill check or level check where you feel you gotta go back and level up some to be more prepared to get through an area? So I get the charm in it...but it wasn't just the fact that they exist. Getting into them with friends was way too complicated with all these codes and crap, then you had to get through a certain amount of the game to get to the good ones. It was just poorly done and unnecessarily complicated. I'm sure if you were solo then it really didn't matter, but I wanted to go in with friends because the shit was so boring to me. It would help to have someone else there at least.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I get hey tried to make the grind interesting. And what Souls game doesn't include a skill check or level check where you feel you gotta go back and level up some to be more prepared to get through an area? So I get the charm in it...but it wasn't just the fact that they exist. Getting into them with friends was way too complicated with all these codes and crap, then you had to get through a certain amount of the game to get to the good ones. It was just poorly done and unnecessarily complicated. I'm sure if you were solo then it really didn't matter, but I wanted to go in with friends because the shit was so boring to me. It would help to have someone else there at least.
That was my case.

If you were attempting to do them co-op, I agree the setup was much more convoluted. Felt like trying to exchange Wii friend codes.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That was my case.

If you were attempting to do them co-op, I agree the setup was much more convoluted. Felt like trying to exchange Wii friend codes.
Fuck it, I'm gonna go replay it. Need something to do this weekend and I hate the new map on Apex.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Mine would be:

1. Witcher 3
2. BOTW
3. God of War
4. Detroit: Become Human
5. Astro Bot VR
6. Xenoblade 2 and
7. Fire Emblem : Three Houses
8. Slay the Spire
9. Dead Cells

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Dude. There is no shame in using the cash shop. Do what you want to do for yourself, if people are giving you a hard time it's from their on selfish self-interests. you do you.
The thing is, I don't really care for cosmetics as long as they don't take a toll on the content I paid for on the DLC/Expansion/Standard Game. If they ever stop releasing new gear, quality of life changes, economy changes over releasing Eververse shop items (ornaments for gear and weapons, transmat effects). Then I will get angry and entitled.

I understand that companies want to profit, especially Bungie that is independent now. But never fuck your player-base (mainly the ones that supported the game since launch and its expansions) over greed monetization.

Last edited:
I don't feel like having less deviations is necessarily a bad thing. There's no magic number for how many deviations make a game better or worse so I'll just stick a pin in that and mark it as "duly noted". Maybe I'm scatter brained, but I don't want a more focused experience. I mean how can one complain about linearity and then argue that a more focused experienced is a good thing? I'll agree that maybe the map design in DarkSouls 3 isn't as intricate and complicated as DS1 but in DS3 you could run from place to place almost as seemlessly as you could in DS1. There were plenty of branching paths for my tastes. Bloodborne was good in that respect as well, that was never a complaint. My complaint was the environments were largely the same in Bloodborne. I mean you had your classic poison swamp here n there and I get that it's this Victorian era supernatural type of setting a library...and the water world where you fought Kos (Kosm?), but Dark Souls 3 had the lava levels, the castles, the winter levels, the forests, the poison swamps, graveyards, your did a boss fight literally on top of a got damn cloud. You had odes to the DS1 areas like Anor Londo. I mean come on man.

I dig the horror in Bloodborne, for sure. It was never a complaint. But that alone didn't make up for how much they stripped from the core experience I'm used to in Souls games. The bosses in Bloodborne are the best of all souls games, hands down. Still doesn't save it for me though.

In a lot of From Software games, most notably Armored Core and Chromehounds, the game is all about the tinkering. Armored Core 4 and For Answer was especially deep in tweaking every little thing about your mech to make it function exactly how you wanted. I loved that Dark Souls was an entirely different game but still kept some of that in depth customization. When Bloodborne took that customization down a few pegs, I was not happy.

vs.

or

UgnsE09.jpg

vs.

TnIPNZS.jpg

or

Np1ahFu.jpg

vs.

GfSd0TG.jpg

Dark Souls III is complex for gaming but relatively less so for From Software. I wasn't arguing you did argue this, though, you respond to a lot of what I said with "that wasn't my complaint" my post wasn't 100% addressing your complaints, it was my personal argument for Bloodborne over Dark Souls III. I would argue the environments had plenty of variety in Bloodborne but the commitment to gothic horror meant less visual diversity compared to DSIII. Like can you really say the Nightmare Forntier and Forsaken Castle Cainhurts are the same as each other? Linearity in level design and loadouts are two different things, I can be fine with a lack of diversity in armors/weapons and have a problem with more linear world design without having some form of cognitive dissonance.

BTW another good one for how complicated Bloodborne is...

NC54QFV.png

Dark Star

Another game I love from this gen is MGSV : The Phantom Pain. I played that game for a countless number of hours. The combat is so damn smooth, and the horse riding is way better than Witcher 3 lol. Glaring issues aside, like the repeat missions and broken story, or lack of story, it's just an awesome looking game with great mechanics.

In terms of sheer replay value, I have to give my vote to Detroit : Become Human. That game consumed my life for about 2 weeks haha.

Last edited:

kungfuian

Yeah one more for Bloodborne here.

So many great games this gen but Bloodborne is on another level. Atmosphere wise I would say it's maybe matched by RE7 (and that's because RE7 had VR vs. a regular 2d game). But the world design, artwork, music, and satisfying as hell mix of action adventure and survival horror gameplay, easily one of the best games I've ever played.

cormack12

Gold Member
Duple thread - go here:

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I feel like we just had this thread.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It was Witcher 3 for me all those years. Then came Death Stranding and I’m so deeply into it and no, doesn’t have to do with the “honeymoon phase” it sucked me in and got me hooked like no other game this gen. I love you Witcher 3 and you’re just 2nd place now♥️

INC

Firewall for me, shows how amazing VR can be, and how bland 2d FPS games are after playing it

There's a lot of contenders, but Bloodborne just stands above them all for me.

There's a few things I criticize harshly about it, no question, but it's still the best game released this gen in my humble opinion.
Sekiro scratched on the door but noone let it in.

Zannegan

My first reaction is to say Breath of the Wild, closely followed by Bloodborne, neither of which I've beaten. Lol. I mean, I will, absolutely, eventually, but with how work and my own projects are going, it might be a while.

If I can only pick a game I've actually beaten, then maybe... Mario Odyssey? I don't actually beat many of my games these days, but that one I 100%-ed. The weird thing is, it's not even close to my favorite 3D Mario.

I think I need to sort out my leisure priorities. Lol.

xrnzaaas

Driveclub. I haven't spent so much time with a racing game and haven't had so much fun since Forza Motorsport 4.

Last edited:

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Three way tie between Witcher 3, Prey, and Kingdom Come, but if I had to choose....Witcher 3. Just an incredible experience from start to finish, and a replay is on the horizon with the Netflix series about to drop.

Top Bottom