• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your earliest gaming memory?

After my last thread, which brought back so much nostalgia, I thought I would post to ask what are your earliest gaming memories?

I was born in 1978 so a good age to see the 80's (now retro) gaming take shape.

We didn't have much money, so no computer or video game machines until around the mid 80's.

I was bought a ZX Spectrum and played games like Transformers and Kokotoni Wilf (which was probably my earliest game).

I remember going into a chip shop and playing Ye Ar Kung Fu on an arcade machine, which came out around 85. That was my first arcade experience.

I coded my first game when I was about 10, maybe younger on the same Spectrum - it was a game where you controlled a fly which had to avoid being stuck between two pieces of bread with jam on it.

nush

Gold Member
Looking UP at an original Space invaders cabinet, which is an interesting fixed sized object that reminds me how much growing I had to do. I asked my mum "What's that thing with the teddy bears on it?". To which she replied "That's a game, but it's stupid because you can't win any money on it.".

space_invaders1.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Born 1992, I played my dad's Atari 2600 when I was very young, but the game I can actually picture in my head (regardless of playing it again later) is Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Master System II. Funnily enough there's a remake due this year.

maxresdefault.jpg

I also played an older friend's Gameboy, but the first system/game that was ever mine was Pokémon Blue on the GBC at age 6. I beat the entire game with only a Blastoise (and maybe a HM slave) because he was my favourite.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Being born in 1991, I think it was Zelda ALTTP. I probably saw many other games before but that's the first I can clearly remember playing as a little kid.

DelireMan7

First videogames I have played (On Atari 2600) :
Moon Patrol
th

We were doing "scoring" session with my parents and brothers. Writing done our score on paper to see who get the best.
Space Invaders
th

Tomcat : The F-14 Fighter simulator
th

I was never able to take off. You had to switch some buttons on the console it self. It was cool but I was to young to understand the game.

I was born in 1987 so I didn't play them at their release but in early 90's

Thavash

Mid 80s ..... I must have been about 5 years old, we go to a supermarket and there's a Pac-Man machine there. I think i saw video games before that but i vaguely remember my mother allowing me to play for the first time..... those sounds of arcade machines in the supermarkets will always be nostalgic to me.

This thread really makes me think... so many of these I remember, but as it was so long ago, did I play these first?!

I never got an actual PC until I was in collage which was 1994.

Before that, it was an Amiga A500+, them A1200 with an 030 processor, 6mb ram, 40mb hard drive.

NikuNashi

Born same time as the OP. First memory was the family's Atari (didn't like it). Just remember the wooden sides.

My first real memory of games was receiving an Amstrad 6128k. Think the first game was 'world games'. First game I bought with my own money was Robocop.

Edit : Was Christmas of 85, I would have been 7.

Last edited:

Self

It was Outrun at the local fair for me... and I fell in love with videogames...

gJQgpDM.jpg

Last edited:

wondermega

Born 1975. Hard to recall, I remember my neighbor 2 doors down got a 2600 with a bunch of games - first ones that stick out in memory are Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Circus (with the awesome paddle controllers!) - this had to be 1980 sometime. I might have seen Pac or Space Invaders at a bowling alley, or we might have gone to the local arcade around a similar time. WHATEVER IT WAS, Pac-Man in particular made an indelible mark on me and I became absolutely obsessed with it and the magic it represented..

fart town usa

Gold Member
My dad buying this at a store. It was after the gaming crash so Atari games were insanely cheap. The NES was already out but we didn't have one. I was probably 4. Just a vague memory of being in some store. The thing that stands out most is the boxart, seemed so epic.

iu

marcincz

River Raid on Atari 65 XE in 1985 or 1986. What a game!
I was born in 1982 behind iron curtain in Poland and our USSR "friends" don't allow us to have newest western hardware. So when most of you play on NES, Spectrum or Commodore we have Atari.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
After my last thread, which brought back so much nostalgia, I thought I would post to ask what are your earliest gaming memories?

We didn't have much money, so no computer or video game machines until around the mid 80's.

I was bought a ZX Spectrum and played games like Transformers and Kokotoni Wilf (which was probably my earliest game).

I remember going into a chip shop and playing Ye Ar Kung Fu on an arcade machine, which came out around 85. That was my first arcade experience.

I coded my first game when I was about 10, maybe younger on the same Spectrum - it was a game where you controlled a fly which had to avoid being stuck between two pieces of bread with jam on it.
My Dad playing DOS games on an old C-64 when I was like 4-years old. My Dad was a casual gamer just like myself. He'd play a couple times a month but never stick to it for days or hours. Cool memories though. We had P.C. games prior to buying consoles and first game I played was Quake when I was about 9-years old. At 10-years old, I started buying used cartridge consoles from garage sales and playing.

LucidFlux

85 baby here. I know we had a 2600 but don't remember actually playing it. My first gaming memories are on the NES with marble madness, duckhunt/mario, zelda and bubble bobble.

First home computer was an old 286 my father brought home from work. I think I remember playing Pitfall on that or the Sony Vaio they eventually bought in the early-mid 90s. It was a Pentium 166mhz that I remember clearly because they spent 3k on it and it was outdated the next month then the 200mhz processors came out lol.

My oldest arcade memory is pac man and then the first wave of fighting games.

I coded a starwars / galaga style game in middle school on MS VB.

spookyfish

My brother worked at Sears when I was a kid, so through him, my dad got us a four-player TeleGames (Sears brand) Pong. We played that thing forever, until I saw my friend's Atari VCS.

I also remember Space Invaders and Space War in pizza places back then. A place that we would go to occasionally, Straw Hat Pizza, had a light gun game that you could pay the server to use. They'd bring the light gun to your table, and you'd try and shoot light targets. I was *very* young then.

Last edited:
My Dad bought me and my brother a PS1 and Ace Combat. Well I was 6 and my brother was 4 so we had no fucking idea how to play a military fliht simulator and couldn't find the enemies. Pretty sure my parents returned the PS1 at some point. We eventually got the PS2 a few years later though.

BabyYoda

Banned
I was born a year before you (kiddo), but I clearly have a worse memory than you, I vaguely remember playing Q-Bert, Star Raiders, Jungle Hunt, Defender, Miner 2049er, Pole Position, Missile Command, Tron (some kind of lightbikes game), Galaga and some text adventures by dad coded (Time Zone and it's sequels that you won't be able to find), but I have no idea in which order I played them tbh...I also played many others, but that's a long enough list tbh!

Some sort of x-men game on the super nintendo, you got to pick whichever x-men and play through a few levels. I used to kick a leg out whenever I pressed the jump button.
Beating a single level was an insane accomplishment and took many many hours

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yars Revenge on the Atari 2600. I remember my grandpa coming back from the store with that beautiful wood-grained console.

Beauty and the Beast on Intellivision. I remember my mom would climb to the top of a tower and jump off and crack up at the falling animation.

beauty-and-the-beast_1.png

beas-01.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom