• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite Super Mario Power-up?

Kadin

With SMB3 coming out (again) today on WiiU/3DS VC, I asked myself this question. So let's say a future game is coming and Mario will only have one ability from any past games, which would you want? Fire Mario? Star? Tanooki Suit? Ice Flower? Bee Mushroom? Super Acorn? P-Wing?

For me, if I had to choose just one, it would have to be Tanooki. That ability is just so too good. Gives me flight when I need it and invulnerability for when I screw up and get caught in a tight situation.

Good luck picking just one...

DaBoss

xaCPMB4.jpg

Red Star Mario

Barely used though. ;_;

I really like the color scheme.

Wiseblade

Hammer Bros!

Those things always signified bad times in SMB1, but everything changes once you get to BE one.

Secret real answer is frog suit, natch.

Always loved the cape from Super Mario World more than any. Second would probably be the cloud from Super Mario Galaxy 2. Haven't played either Wii U Mario game yet though.

Dizzy

Banned
210px-TanookiMario_SMB3.jpg

I used to play Mario with my neighbour back in the day. The tanooki suit was awesome just for being able to fly. I didn't care if it made no sense why he grew a tail and could suddenly fly, as a Sega owner it blew my mind. Sonic couldn't do that.

SkyOdin

Super Mario World Feather. Commonly found, let's you fly free-form in a way that requires some practice to pull off.

Boogiepop

super-mario-galaxy-characterssuper-mario-galaxy-2-character-art-reveals----cloud-mario-------gamer-gpr4kd2a.jpg

Cloud Mario. Perfectly balanced, which makes it so much more fun to me than just flying through the level. Such a cool power-up.

Salsa

Tanooki is the obvious answer, but I feel Galaxy 2 did cool powerups. Loved both the rock and cloud mushroom.

Stoze

The rock mushroom from Galaxy 2 if it were a 2D Mario game coming out, because I imagine that would wreck shit in a 2D Mario. If it were a 3D Mario, I would go with ice flower from the Galaxy games; create your own pathways on water to ice skate on, sidejump up waterfalls, bad ass.

Shinta

Banned
Flying Squirrel - NSMB U. This offers more nuanced platforming options than the cape. You can also stick to walls. It's fantastic, and a joy to control.

Gold Flower - NSMB 2. It's simple, but extremely satisfying. I hope it's here to stay.

Tanooki Cat - Super Mario 3D World. This is possibly the best Mario powerup of them all. It's amazing just to run around because it feels so good. Climbing, long distance jumps, the dive attack, and even the special stomp with coins in the Tanooki version are all great. And you get a melee attack.

Metal Mario - Mario 64. Looks amazing, and it's fun to use. Basically the same as the metal boots in Ocarina of Time.

Ice Skate - Super Mario 3D World. This power isn't terribly strong, but it FEELS like an ice skate. The control is just pitch perfect. It's amazing to use.

Wing Cap - Mario 64. The first time you fly around was a revelation. It's fantastic in a 3D game to have this much freedom.

Bee Mushroom - Super Mario Galaxy 2. I truly loved the bee mushroom. Flying around felt great. Just thinking about it makes me want to play this game again.

Double Cherry - Super Mario 3D World. It's hard to use, but super fun and satisfying. I love it.

MisterHero

Either the Wing Cap or Hammer Suit.

You can fly with the Wing Cap. Plust it's cool. On the other hand, you can kill things by throwing hammers at them. It's a really tough call.

super-mario-galaxy-characterssuper-mario-galaxy-2-character-art-reveals----cloud-mario-------gamer-gpr4kd2a.jpg

Cloud Mario. Perfectly balanced, which makes it so much more fun to me than just flying through the level. Such a cool power-up.
I vote for this, a lot of fun and looks great. In a future game I wouldn't mind it working a bit differently however.

Also, double cherry ;) on the more classic end I'd have to go with the different colored yoshis in Super Mario World, though I'm not sure many consider that a pure power up.

Mike M

Nick N
I really liked the Cloud Flower a lot more than I thought I would, I appreciated that it affected your normal jumping as well as provide instant platforms.

Kinda wish they'd stop doing so many new power ups as mushrooms and flowers, though.

Platy

Classic Mario : Cape

Skilled flying

New Mario : Shell

CEvlmFf.png

Awesome to try to "bit trip run" a level with the shell

3D mario : Cloud

The things an advanced player could do with this beauty

Kinsei

Banned
The boomerang suit. It seems Nintendo knows how awesome this thing is as it has been in the past two 3D Mario games, and the boomerang is an item in Smash Bros 4 and Mario Kart 8.

My second favorite power-up is the hammer suit, and my third favorite is the cloud suit.

Hatchtag

Banned
Cape Mario, Cloud Mario, and (even though I'm not a fan of the NSMB games), Shell Mario.

Unless Yoshi and Fludd are counted as power-ups. In which case, those beat out everything else easily.

Top Bottom