• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game of all time?

Celegus

Too many to pick just one, but if I had to... Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction? But Demon's Souls...Metroid Prime... argh!

Andrew.

Banned
chronotrigger-sfc.jpg

No contest.

Ikkarus

Valkyria Chronicles is mine.

I am a massive fan of SRPG's and I grew up loving Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem and others and then this game got announced and I saw a gameplay video and was in heaven! The art style was really unique and amazing as well.

I played the demo about 20 times when it came out on PSN and tried a load of different strategies to get the best rank and all the characters (albiet many were nuts!) meant you wanted to protect most of them and it gave me that sense of carefully planning my next move.

The game arrived and whilst there are a few annoyances the game overall was amazing and is my most played game in my collection.

daveo42

Banned
No way I could pick just one. Most on my list would probably be PSX era RPGs and the remakes made for it (FFVI, Chrono Trigger, etc.).

Favorite game of all time in terms of perfection: Super Metroid

Favorite game of all time in terms of me never getting bored with it no matter how much I keep playing it: [current best version of] Monster Hunter

not possible for me. I can't rank an amazing experience and there's no one game I'm completely dedicated to. I've played too many games and loved too many for different reasons that a definitive number one ain't possible for me to give. Depending on my mood, craving, or the time of the year it could be anything from Parasite eve, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid, or Zelda, brawl, Mario kart and time splitters, maybe some legend of the dragoon and silent hill.

You wouldn't ask a parent to choose their favorite child, DON'T ASK ME TO CHOOSE MY FAVORITE GAME *cough*
FOXHOUND.jpg

I'm a little reluctant to say what I think my favorite game is because it was released relatively recently, so perhaps I haven't had enough time to truly consider it amongst everything else I've played over the last 3 decades. That being said, it immediately comes to mind because it just seems to scratch all the right itches for me.

The Witcher 2

Other games that I would consider:

Half Life 1 or 2, Battlefield 1942 (probably has more to do with the group I played with at the time than the game itself), Resident Evil 4, KOTOR, BG 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Super Mario Bros. 3, Vice City

Arksy

I have to say, I came into this head with a game in mind, but after seeing how good GAF's taste is, I'm not so sure anymore. Too many great picks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Motherfucking Bejeweled.

There have been two phases of mankind's existence: before Bejeweled, and after Bejeweled. It is, without a doubt, our greatest contribution to the universe. I hope that by the time of my death I can have my brain put into a computer and have Bejeweled beamed into my mind for the rest of eternity. Simply the best.

I couldn't possibly pick one. Oot, Conker's BFD, Bioshock, Half Life 2, Halo 1, Mass Effect 2, KOTOR and CoD 4 are all serious contenders.

sixghost

6-1384_2.jpg

Starcraft: Brood War

Dark Souls might have overtaken it if Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos weren't the biggest pieces of shit ever.

parkinho

Tempest 2000 (Atari Jaguar)

I received this game alongside a Jag console, Cybermorph and AvP for Christmas '95. To be honest I knew hardly anything about it, except it scored 97% in GamesMaster magazine. I'm sure I didn't play it Xmas Day or Boxing Day as AvP stole the limelight, but I vividly remember firing up in my cold, dark, lonely room days later unprepared for what would happen next - an onslaught of colours, Melt-O-Vision (TM) graphics and techno tunes that left me spellbound. I played it regularly for the next 17 years until I finally sold off my Jag collection last Summer (sob).

I have never experienced the feeling of being 'in the zone' like I did with Tempest 2k, on one occasion I became so lost in the experience, in such a trance that I swear I felt like I was stood outside of my own body, watching myself from behind as I conquered web after web. Such an amazing, scary, unreproducible experience.

So yes, my greatest ever game is Tempest 2000!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I have the best experience with and memories from

588436_40267_front.jpg

But I also really, really like

198763_50493_front.jpg

But I played both of those when I was really young. So, out of fairness, I also have to mention

928518_67606_front.jpg

Top Bottom