• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game of all time?

Slair

Final fantasy VII. It sits atop my list for reasons that I can't quite define, I've played many games before and after that are mechanically better, with stories that are far better told, but the feeling i got at that stage in my life, playing FFVII for the first time, is unlinke anything I've felt before or since. The only time I really get a whiff of that feeling again is when I go back and play it. It sits atop my list on a throne of pure nostalgia.

Brick

I know it's fairly recent, but for me, nothing even approaches Journey.

journey.jpg

graywords

I own 4 copies; my original copy, three greatest hits (one still sealed, one to play, one to loan to people who need to be converted) and the XBLA version. I have also bought copies of the game for two friends and my brother.

Nice choice, and nicely stated. Love this game so much, I guess I technically have 6 copies of it:

US Greatest Hits release
Original JP release w/art book
JP PSOne Books release
Saturn JP version
XBLA version
PSP version (Dracula X Chronicles)

Beautiful piece of work, I can only imagine what they would have done with it if they had a bit more time.

xhBuGfz.gif

...honestly, Tetris Attack is an incredible game that I've been able to return to over and over again for a very long time, and it always pleases and relaxes me like no other game can.
I feel the same way, even though I got bored of finding images and didn't include this. My preferred version is Pokemon Puzzle League, though :p I still play it to this day, so I understand the feeling.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
majorasmask.jpg

no game has ever come close to this, for me. That's why I will always have Aonuma as one of my top three devs ever

XaosWolf

The correct answer is: I can't pick just one.

But going by ones that I could literally play anytime you put it in my hands...
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Sat down to try it out after it released on PSN, I was there for four hours after I had repeatedly said "Okay, I need to turn this off now"

Smash Bros Melee/Brawl - Not the best at it, but better than my friends and family. But I always make sure it's fun for whoever plays.

Prophane33

NBA Baller Beats.

It surpasses all games in graphics and gameplay and has a story so gripping that I'm seriously considering integrating it into my master's thesis. It also firmly cements the Kinect as the future of gaming. I seriously don't understand why anyone would continue to develop any other games, as they have been perfected this gen with this masterpiece of human artistic achievement. If you aren't left questioning your entire life while bawling as the end credits begin to roll you have no soul.

My Top 5 = Dragon Quest V, The Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear:Solid, Ridge Racer Type 4, Civilization II (in no particular order)

TDLink

Metroid Prime for me.

Runner-Ups:

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Chrono Cross
Skies of Arcadia

In fact, I like to think my favorite game of all-time hasn't even been made yet. So "ALL-TIME" doesn't mean a whole lot to me considering they've only just been around since, what, the '70s? It's a young medium and I'm only 22, I've got time. Eventually they'll be a game I love more than CT or RE4. I mean, to think otherwise would just be depressing as hell, right? That's it's all downhill from there?

Aeana

I feel the same way, even though I got bored of finding images and didn't include this. My preferred version is Pokemon Puzzle League, though :p I still play it to this day, so I understand the feeling.

Pokemon Puzzle League doesn't have this music which is a huge factor in why I can relax with the game so well. I go into endless mode on this level, bring all of the blocks up to the top so this part plays and repeat for however long I need to. There's nothing better, really.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
In fact, I like to think my favorite game of all-time hasn't even been made yet. So "ALL-TIME" doesn't mean a whole lot to me considering they've only just been around since, what, the '70s? It's a young medium and I'm only 22, I've got time. Eventually they'll be a game I love more than CT or RE4. I mean, to think otherwise would just be depressing as hell, right? That's it's all downhill from there?

Dude, u r over thinking... best game that has been made... not future games ;).

AGITΩ

Maybe it's because of how RPG starved I've been this generation. But Xenoblade Chronicles is my Game of the Forever right now. And that's that I had more interest in The Last Story during Operation Rainfall.
1. Scale: There's so much to do, so much to explore and the world is just huge. It had that feeling of, if I can see it, I can play on there. I still love going to the tip of the Fallen Hand's finger and falling a huge distance [to my death] to the Palm.
2. Music: my god it had some delicious tracks, and Monolithsoft really knows how to empower their cutscenes even more with the music. After getting to Mechonis, I'd get into battles JUST for the music.
3. Setting: C'mon, the world consists of 2 Giants, thats your playable area. And you can usually always see the opposite one. And Holy hell
when the start moving
4. Story line: A game with more twists and turns than an M. Night Shyamalan film. Always felt engaged and what starts off as a simple revenge tale, throughout the course evolves into a fate of the world tale. Which is of course very JRPG, but the journey and the lead up to it was amazing.
5. Characters: Party characters, NPC's, the Villains, they all had their own tales, their own backstory and they were understandable. They were all represented well and meshed well together. Their Dialogue exchanges were always fun for me.
6. Combat: I never got bored with it. I was a little scared of the Auto Attack function, but actual hands on with it, and figuring out what attacks to chain together was really enjoyable.
7. Inventory: Everything you got Armor and Weapon like were actually represented and physically seen on your character, throughout its entirety, even cutscenes.

Fey

Banned
Tough choosing just one game ... these are definitely my top favourites.

BAmlQsI.jpg

My favourite RPG of all time. Great characters, story, amazing music, everything. It's everything I want from an RPG.

jwj6hlr.jpg

The first game brought hours and hours of fun, but this game just took it even further. To this day I play this game and find it just as entertaining as I did 10 years ago.

cbsjc4Q.jpg

This game completely blew me away. I went in not really knowing what to expect and ended up not being able to sleep for 3 days. I envy anyone who hasn't played the game yet. I would love to have my mind wiped of this game (and the sequel) and be able to experience it all again. It (and VLR) also have phenomenal music.

All three offer completely different experiences, but I immensely enjoy them all.

TWILT

Banned
I can't pick just one:

• Chrono Trigger
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
  • Super Mario World
  • The World Ends With You
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Majora's Mask
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Metroid Prime
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

zinder

It has to be Mafia. No game has even been close to recreating the same atmosphere of an era the way that Mafia did. And the brilliant story is just another plus. The ending still sends shivers down my spine. Friendship ain't worth shit.

Mike.83

SWOS_screen1.png

Playing that with my brother and a group of friends was my childhood. Still able to sing along to the song on the CD-Rom version too.

The original MGS comes in second place.

meta4

hideo-kojima-dubai-metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater.jpg

Ending still brings tears...

This. MGS4 and UC2 as well. All tied.

It has to be Mafia. No game has even been close to recreating the same atmosphere of an era the way that Mafia did. And the brilliant story is just another plus. The ending still sends shivers down my spine. Friendship ain't worth shit.

Holy shit! Forgot about Mafia. Such an outstanding game. The story was sooo good.

Pokemon Puzzle League doesn't have this music which is a huge factor in why I can relax with the game so well. I go into endless mode on this level, bring all of the blocks up to the top so this part plays and repeat for however long I need to. There's nothing better, really.
I see we relax in different ways! I usually battle the AI on the hardest difficulty so I can feel the pressure and excitement while this plays. It's very therapeutic.

I always take the blocks to the very top. It causes a lot of 1-second losses sometimes, haha.

Mugy

Hmmmm...

-Pokemon Emerald
-Super Smash Bros. Melee
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Street Fighter III: Third Strike
-Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Zelda III. No idea how many times I've played through it, as a kid and teenager I used to wake up random Saturdays and play the entire game in one sitting before dinner.

Honorable mention goes to Civ II, used to play that game like it was a full-time job and I wanted all the overtime I could get.

majorasmask.jpg

no game has ever come close to this, for me. That's why I will always have Aonuma as one of my top three devs ever

This. Although out of the two directors, Koizumi shaped up better afterwards so I'm not the biggest Aonuma fan after some not so good entries.

Anyway, the world in this is about as masterfully crafted as it gets, which seems pretty ridiculous considering the short development time, and the bizarre and dark tones really gives it the icing on the cake.

Top Bottom