• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game of all time?

friday

Stalker: SoC.

Immersion and exploration are my favorite aspects of gaming. Stalker does both of these perfectly.

maverick40

Demon's souls or Uncharted 2. I could have picked something oldschool from my childhood but nothing comes close to the impact these games has on me.

SeriousApes

First game I thought of was Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

ULv208z.png

There are plenty of honorable mentions that I won't mention.

How about my top 5?

1- Final Fantasy I.
2- .hack//Quarantine.
3- Persona 3.
4- No More Heroes.
5- Pokemon Blue.

The most influential game to me would be Pokemon Blue, as it helped me learn the English language as a child.

AfroSamurai_game-thumb-400x410-12213.jpg

I honestly loved this game, the combat was so satisfying. That is my favourite game of recent memory. Of all time though I will have to think about...

destrudo

snesbox_front2.jpg

alinkiktothepastCA.jpg

Those are the first ones that came to mind. I couldn't possibly keep count of how many times I've played them start to finish. Even if I wasn't in the mood to play either one if I started playing I could just keep going until the end.

Mael

Roq12

Neo Member
Not really my favourite game right now, but the game I have loved the most during my 20+ years of gaming is easily:

Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)

Best game ever made on the other hand is probably:

Half-Life 2

Rootbeer

Banned
Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger or Ocarina of Time... if pressed I'd probably go with FFVI.

Thankfully I can have as many favorites as I want and you can't stop me :3

Probably Warcraft 3, including the expansion and DotA 1. It's also the game I've played the most (except for maybe WoW, is probably close though). Mostly for the multiplayer, I don't know how well the campaign holds up, I haven't played it in quite a while. I remember it fondly, but it could be nostalgia goggles on my part.

I can't specifically pick one favorite, but by the amount of time and the amount of replays, I like any Bethesda rpg, Baldur's Gate series, KOTOR series.

NotLiquid

ojGpE2m.jpg

Can't claim that I've played any game that's perfect, but this one. This one gets really, really close. At the very least, it's as perfect as this kind of game gets.

This game has some insane timeless qualities to it, and in a lot of ways embodies so much of everything I love games for. It's got an established universe with some clever rules and great characters, it has some of the best control in any game I've played and it feels so good. The aesthetics are a complete wonder and the combat is amazing with so many ways to approach an enemy and look cool, and there's some devilishly hard challenges that feels rewarding to master.

The story is something I feel everyone can be able to appreciate. When I was young it did a great way in making me feel awesome and I loved feeling like a hero. Playing it now still brings back some of that childlike wonder. The music is also absolutely awesome.

And at the end of the day when you've finally thwarted the bad guy and your heroics are celebrated, the icing on the cake is getting one of the coolest credits sequences with one of the best music reprises. Next to Mario Kart 64 I don't think I've ever played a game that's made me feel that good about finishing it. It also says a lot about the developers, having put so much enthusiasm into making something this awesome. It's something I sorely miss in games. Brings a kind of nostalgic tear to my eye.

neonille

ScOULaris

So many nostalgia feels looking through this thread. Pictures of Starcraft, Vice City, and MGS1 send chills down my spine and evoke such vivid memories of my teen years.

Bungie's Halo games are, by far, my favorite video games. At this point, my total time played in Halo games has probably surpassed the sum total of time I spent playing other video games, which is surprising, but I'm still happy I got into them and can't wait for Tiger to be officially unveiled.

Basch

Top 10 (no particular order)
Uncharted 2
Digital Devil Saga 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy VIII
Ico
Persona 3
Heavy Rain
God of War III
Bayonetta
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Honorable Mentions: Alan Wake, Final Fantasy X, Mass Effect 1 and 3, Persona 4, and Portal 2

Can't choose between Mario Galaxy 2, Deus Ex, Metroid Prime, and Final Fantasy VII.

SMG2's and Deus Ex's gameplay mechanics are perfect (though in opposite ways), Metroid Prime and FFVII have the best game worlds I've ever experienced (and probably my favorite soundtracks in a video game) to go along with terrific level design from Prime and my favorite characters from VII. All four were unreal experiences.

ThomasP

Neo Member
• Shadowrun on SNES
• Baldurs Gate
• Dungeon Master
• A Bards Tale on C64
• Super Mario Brothers on SNES
• Street Fighter II Turbo SNES
• Secret Of Mana SNES
• plenty of others

If i was forced to choose just one for all time ever, the one game I would take to a deserted island, it would be Final Fantasy 9. But I have a short list.

Bioshock
Chrono Cross
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Mass Effect (series)
Pokemon (first gen)
Legend of Zelda
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Honourable mentions:

Age of Empires 2
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Red Alert 2