• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Your Favourite Conspiracy Theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cicada 3301 s a really good one. Essentially it's a secret society of cryptographers that are constantly trying to recruit members by administering complex cryptographic puzzles via clues around the world.

Cicada 3301 is a name given to an enigmatic organization that on three occasions has posted a set of complex puzzles to recruit "highly intelligent individuals" from the public. The first Internet puzzle started on January 4, 2012, and ran for approximately one month. A second round began one year later on January 4, 2013, and a third round is ongoing following confirmation of a fresh clue posted on Twitter on January 4, 2014. The stated intent was to recruit "intelligent individuals" by presenting a series of puzzles which were to be solved, each in order, to find the next. No new puzzles were published on January 4, 2015. The puzzles focused heavily on data security, cryptography, and steganography

The ultimate outcome of all three rounds of Cicada 3301 recruiting is still a mystery. The final known puzzles became both highly complex and individualized as the game unfolded. Anonymous individuals have claimed to have "won," but verification from the organization was never made and the individuals making the claim have not been forthcoming with information

peliculas.47.IMAGEN8.jpg

MIB.jpg

Nothing to worry about, just some Blues musicians....

FEATURED-The-Blues-Brothers.jpg

zeroroute

Banned
Aliens being demons. The Book of Ezekiel mentions a cloud looking like gleaming metal and four human-like beings coming out of it.

Valhelm

contribute something
I watched a documentary about the JFK shooting and how one of the secret service agents accidentally shot him after the first Oswald shot. It was really interesting.

It was called JFK Smoking Gun.

This is really, really plausible. Accidentally killing the president would be such a national embarrassment that I can certainly imagine a cover-up. It also very nearly clears up any concerns about a "magic bullet", and doesn't involve massive conspiracies that somehow never were revealed.

Cicada 3301 s a really good one. Essentially it's a secret society of cryptographers that are constantly trying to recruit members by administering complex cryptographic puzzles via clues around the world.

This reminds me of that website that had progressing levels of difficulty with abstract problems, and it became this huge collaboration to try and solve them. I believe there's currently one people have been stuck on for months. Will have to find it...

It's http://notpron.org/notpron/. Somehow I recalled a less ridiculous name. Probably safe to say this isn't the secret society.

mnannola

Simulation Theory

Basically in the distant future humans should be able to simulate an entire universe with extremely sophisticated AI. The AI would of course never know they were a simulation. If this is the case, then it's more probable than not that WE are in a simulation.

From here:

A technologically mature “posthuman” civilization would have enormous computing power. Based on this empirical fact, the simulation argument shows that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage is very close to zero; (2) The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero; (3) The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one.
If (1) is true, then we will almost certainly go extinct before reaching posthumanity. If (2) is true, then there must be a strong convergence among the courses of advanced civilizations so that virtually none contains any relatively wealthy individuals who desire to run ancestor-simulations and are free to do so. If (3) is true, then we almost certainly live in a simulation. In the dark forest of our current ignorance, it seems sensible to apportion one’s credence roughly evenly between (1), (2), and (3).
Unless we are now living in a simulation, our descendants will almost certainly never run an ancestor-simulation.

FStop7

Banned
Pink Floyd 'Enigma Publius'

A Usenet based conspiracy from 1994 that appeared to have legitimate ties to the band.

I remember watching a Pink Floyd pay-per-view show just after the Publius stuff started happening, and the word "ENIGMA" appeared on the screen behind the band during the concert. It was fucking freaky. And at the start of Another Brick pt 2 on the album Pulse, one of the shouting children says "ENIMGA!"

Pink Floyd 'Enigma Publius'

A Usenet based conspiracy from 1994 that appeared to have legitimate ties to the band.

I remember watching a Pink Floyd pay-per-view show just after the Publius stuff started happening, and the word "ENIGMA" appeared on the screen behind the band during the concert. It was fucking freaky. And at the start of Another Brick pt 2 on the album Pulse, one of the shouting children says "ENIMGA!"

smh...kids always mispronounce shit. That's pretty cool though, always thought the whole wizard of oz thing was bunk though as far as anything being intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom