• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your most hated character type?

Mondai

Gold Member
I love romance anime and watch a lot of it , but most of the time ,there the female lead bests friend character, that is very obsessive with female lead and is really douchy with male lead and tries to sabotage their relationship at every turn , I always get sad when I start to like a show and then they introduce that character.

Kaachan

9dd3a1z.jpg
G9OO5hR.jpg

Loud assholes. Can’t stand them

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Edgy hot "cool" guy that has the entire female cast and fanbase stripping naked every time he is in the room or on the screen.

flGAd37.jpg

And I get that you could swing that back around and name numerous female characters like this, but I have a really easy counter point.

I don't fucking care when its a badass edgy/tomboy female character that is also hot as hell.

Yeah that makes me a hypocrite.

Sue me.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Positive and chirpy to the point of annoyance.

Charles in Brooklyn 99.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This thread actually reminded me of another one. Characters like these. I don't even know how to describe them. The constant "oh no he's here!" attitude gets SO old SO fast.

tumblr_olugkuzoo01u99msto1_1280.jpg
bleach-10-cosas-que-no-tienen-sentido-sobre-orihime-9.jpg
shy-sumire-gif-sumire-kakei-43618345-350-350.gif
ochako-blush-boku-no-hero-academia-43713686-2048-1136.jpg

I want more female characters like this in my shows.

yoruichi.jpg
3fcf1ea14cc5559c9b87a2514343a7d8.jpg
my-hero-academia-mirko-pro-hero-arc-anime-1212920.jpg
Rhaenyra-House-of-the-Dragon.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll give any character type a chance because they could be well written/acted. As long as motivation, personality and connection to the world are established, who cares what "type" they are?

The only character type I hate is the poorly written type. The kind of character that acts only because the story needs them to act a certain way. The kind of character that isn't actually a character. Galadriel and Furiosa are both the "strong female" type character - one sucks and the other is great. You can do this for any character type.

ShadowLag

Stereotypical "generic nice guy mentor character that gives you tutorials so you like him then he dies 2 hours in so you'll be sad and angry and motivated" characters are way, way over done these days.

Wildebeest

I hate mastermind characters because they are so cheap in fiction. Everything happens perfectly according to their genius plan, but only because some dumbass wrote their story and some dumbass reader believed it was possible

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'll give any character type a chance because they could be well written/acted. As long as motivation, personality and connection to the world are established, who cares what "type" they are?

The only character type I hate is the poorly written type. The kind of character that acts only because the story needs them to act a certain way. The kind of character that isn't actually a character. Galadriel and Furiosa are both the "strong female" type character - one sucks and the other is great. You can do this for any character type.

I would add poorly written characters in the sense of that they make stupid illogical poorly thought out knee jerk decisions which, like you mentioned, only are made to move the plot along and/or make some scene happen.

I mean, I get it; stupid people do exist, and can serve their purpose when done well. Most of the time though the stupidity only exists to make something happen. Very very frustrating to watch.

Bonus: characters that don't have the ability to explain themselves in such a manner that it'll create drama when if the slightest bit of communication would prefend said drama.. JFC

Last edited:

Dark Star

The annoying stupid ones. The stereotypical dumb blonde characters who act way too happy all the time and are completely oblivious, never say or do anything useful, and even complain when things don’t go their way. It’s irritating to watch honestly.

Last edited:

Chronicle

afuZY1V.gif

Way Better than the Sequel Trilogy. J J Abrams sucks :p
No way. Fuck that kid. At least jj Abrams had Han who stole the show again.

That kid ruined stars. I wish the made Vader a quiet more aloof boy with immense powers but no he was a self righteous douchebag who got the girl. Ruined star wars.

Last edited:
No way. Fuck that kid. At least jj Abrams had Han who stole the show again.

That kid ruined stars. I wish the made Vader a quiet more aloof boy with immense powers but no he was a self righteous douchebag who got the girl. Ruined star wars.

J J Abrams is a pretentious hack who can't direct for shit. Fuck that prequel hating asshole. He ruined Star Wars Sequel Trilogy for me. His characters sucked and I noticed each movie in that Trilogy made less and less money. I skipped Rise of The Skywalker for obvious reasons

BTW I love The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, Andor and Rogue One

I hated Obi-Wan

When it comes to Disney Star Wars, I won't touch anything that J J Abrams directed

Last edited:

Chronicle

J J Abrams is a pretentious hack who can't direct for shit. Fuck that prequel hating asshole. He ruined Star Wars Sequel Trilogy for me. His characters sucked and I noticed each movie in that Trilogy made less and less. I skipped Rise of The Skywalker for obvious reasons

BTW I love The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, Andor and Rogue One

I hated Obi-Wan

When it comes to Disney Star Wars, I won't touch anything that J J Abrams directed
I agree with some of what you said. But FUCK THAT KID ANYWAYS!!

LOL

Clone Wars was good.

Yeah I love how it expanded the Prequel Era in terms of universe building

Pre Disney Star Wars I would say The Expanded Universe is fantastic. Yes it had some stinkers but man when it hit, it hit

Han Solo Trilogy, X-Wing Series, anything by Timothy Zahn, New Jedi Order, etc

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I would add poorly written characters in the sense of that they make stupid illogical poorly thought out knee jerk decisions which, like you mentioned, only are made to move the plot along and/or make some scene happen.

I mean, I get it; stupid people do exist, and can serve their purpose when done well. Most of the time though the stupidity only exists to make something happen. Very very frustrating to watch.

Bonus: characters that don't have the ability to explain themselves in such a manner that it'll create drama when if the slightest bit of communication would prefend said drama.. JFC
Whoa 22•22 22•22 , you're back! Welcome, missed reading your posts.

Character types I can't stand. Witty tough guy or gal you usually find in Disney flicks. That touch of sarcasm and I'm smaller but could outwit the rest of the cast. Not to bring up the Star Wars sequels...but a whole lotta characters that fit that type there.

Trunx81

The “I am just here to annoy my parents” teenagers in drama series who “I do not only drugs, I also sell them”. Just to increase the drama.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Mentally broken hero types that turn villain.
Can we just please have normal evil people? Enemies dont need to be conflicted all the time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I hate mastermind characters because they are so cheap in fiction. Everything happens perfectly according to their genius plan, but only because some dumbass wrote their story and some dumbass reader believed it was possible
I hate poorly written 'genius' characters that the writer doesn't have the ability to make actually smart so they have to make everyone else extremely dumb instead.

Wildebeest

I hate poorly written 'genius' characters that the writer doesn't have the ability to make actually smart so they have to make everyone else extremely dumb instead.
You don't like "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king". I don't like "the blind leading the blind".

SJRB

Gold Member
The "I am going to ignore this overwhelmingly obvious and logical thing this person is saying because I don't like this person and I AM IN CHARGE" manager/commander/CEO/whatever.

Prime example: 24. There's like 6 seasons that could've been completely prevented if the CTO commander/president/FBI would just listen to Jack Bauer. Dude literally saved the world from nuclear annihilation, deathly virusses and god knows what else, you should probably listen when he calls.

In movies these characters usually get killed off in some goofy way, often after seeing the errors of their ways.

Last edited:

Drew1440

The "I am going to ignore this overwhelmingly obvious and logical thing this person is saying because I don't like this person and I AM IN CHARGE" manager/commander/CEO/whatever.

Prime example: 24. There's like 6 seasons that could've been completely prevented if the CTO commander/president/FBI would just listen to Jack Bauer. Dude literally saved the world from nuclear annihilation, deathly virusses and god knows what else, you should probably listen when he calls.

In movies these characters usually get killed off in some goofy way, often after seeing the errors of their ways.
I was more suprised at the amount of moles that got into CTU, shouldn't they have high background checks?

Doom85

I love how widespread this is in Harry Potter. In the Rifftrax for Goblet of Fire, when Harry’s name is revealed from the Goblet, and everyone in the school is looking at him with distrust:

(Harry is walking past McGonagall who pats him on the shoulder)
Rifftrax guy (imitating McGonagall): There, there, Harry. Maybe if you save the school a FOURTH time everyone will trust you!

D-ray

I don't know. Probably those exaggerated sex symbols you sometimes see in movies/cartoons/anime. The appeals are cool and all, but their character design is usually as interesting as a rusty sink.

Any character that isn't a giga chad alpha male.
So you love me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom