• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your opinion of the Ignore User feature here?

Do you use the ignore user feature at Gaf?

• Total voters

fatty

Nobody’s gonna get to me that much that I’d need to ignore them.

I’m in the same boat.

Only posts I struggle with are when the usual culprit will post a wall of text not really saying anything or two people going back and forth where it is starting to get annoying...back in the past I would wear out the scroll wheel of my mouse but now my index finger is really proficient at flicking past posts.

Nymphae

Banned
See their posts but just don't dedicate any time to them? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why even bother seeing them when you've established over many months and many posts that it's not content you are interested in? With 1 click I can make annoying users disappear.

Geki-D

Banned
Why even bother seeing them when you've established over many months and many posts that it's not content you are interested in? With 1 click I can make annoying users disappear.
What if in off-topic the person has retarded political opinions you can't stand but in gaming on vanilla subjects they just have average stuff to say? You completely write people off because of one aspect of their overall opinions. I'd rather a mod tell someone to cool their jets in a thread (and generally when I feel like I should ignore someone it's because they're doing shit the site generally recognises as boarding on breaking the rules anyway) than ignore them forever.

Also when I tend to see someone announce they're going to ignore someone, it's rather for 2 or 3 posts going against the blocker's political beliefs that hurt their fee-fees than anything else.

Nymphae

Banned
What if in off-topic the person has retarded political opinions you can't stand but in gaming on vanilla subjects they just have average stuff to say?

1) I don't put someone on ignore for what they believe
2) In that scenario, if I did that, the removal of "retarded political opinions" that annoyed me would not make me miss the "average stuff to say" the person posts in gaming. Maybe if they were an above average poster it would register.

Also when I tend to see someone announce they're going to ignore someone, it's rather for 2 or 3 posts going against the blocker's political beliefs that hurt their fee-fees than anything else.

I don't announce it, and again, it's never for a belief a person has expressed. I just get fed up with personalities that I feel do not add much value or simply annoy me on a daily basis.

It's funny that people jump to the conclusion that it's an ideological thing, like, there are a handful of posters here I feel like ignoring a lot, whom I agree with entirely, simply because I'm tired of their schtick.

Last edited:
What if in off-topic the person has retarded political opinions you can't stand but in gaming on vanilla subjects they just have average stuff to say?
Blocking someone based on their opinions would be stupid. It's how the opinions are presented that matters. Over time, it becomes clear whether someone can be reasoned with or not.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Who gives a shit why others use it - they're not you, they can do whatever they want.
As long as the mods don't, it doesn't really matter who is talking/listening, or not, to whoever else.

betrayal

Banned
I fail to see why an ignore function even exists on a forum that is based on discourse, discussions and different opinions. The ignore function literally defies the basic core of this site. If you talk shit, insult others etc. you will get banned. There is no need for an ignore button. If you can't tolerate opposing views, than you are the problem, not the the one you want to ignore.

Nymphae

Banned
I fail to see why an ignore function even exists on a forum that is based on discourse, discussions and different opinions. The ignore function literally defies the basic core of this site. If you talk shit, insult others etc. you will get banned. There is no need for an ignore button. If you can't tolerate opposing views, than you are the problem, not the the one you want to ignore.

Same reason you have moderation. I like being able to moderate my forum experience this way. Again the ideological angle of "if you can't handle opinions..." lol, as previously stated, I'm not using the feature to hide opinions I cant handle, but to get rid of proven shit posters and people who are simply more annoying than not.

GermanZepp

yes you fail

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ah ok. im never sure whether features like these are jokes or not on message boards. i thought you could hide threads from specific users. since that's not the case, fine, i'll just not go in those threads at all. no prob.

Grinchy

Banned
ah ok. im never sure whether features like these are jokes or not on message boards. i thought you could hide threads from specific users. since that's not the case, fine, i'll just not go in those threads at all. no prob.
I'm pretty sure it does hide threads when you ignore someone. You can easily test it. I went to a psychic and asked what member you wanted to ignore, and she said it was V Voost Kain . Just hover over that name, click on ignore, go back to the gaming side and see if 10 threads about Stadia disappear from the front page.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
You mean you want to ignore a particular poster, whether it's that poster's individual posts, or an entire thread they start?
Yeah, just put them on ignore. you won't see their threads.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member

It might not be the views, but the presentation of them. Or the inability of a poster to respond to specific questions you ask them.
Or a million other reasons.
Just because people want discussion, doesn't mean they want to converse with children, or be treated like one.

betrayal

Banned
Same reason you have moderation. I like being able to moderate my forum experience this way. Again the ideological angle of "if you can't handle opinions..." lol, as previously stated, I'm not using the feature to hide opinions I cant handle, but to get rid of proven shit posters and people who are simply more annoying than not.

It might not be the views, but the presentation of them. Or the inability of a poster to respond to specific questions you ask them.
Or a million other reasons.
Just because people want discussion, doesn't mean they want to converse with children, or be treated like one.

I agree with both of you, but more often than not people who tend to shitpost can also contribute something meaningful in other threads, especially here where we have very different sub-forums for gaming, politics and off topic. But again, i can understand what you mean.

I tend to just don't read or ignore shitposts, which is no effort at all and because i'd like to have unfiltered threads and discussions when jumping to other topics.

yes you fail

Cool.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with both of you, but more often than not people who tend to shitpost can also contribute something meaningful in other threads, especially here where we have very different sub-forums for gaming, politics and off topic. But again, i can understand what you mean.

I tend to just don't read or ignore shitposts, which is no effort at all and because i'd like to have unfiltered threads and discussions when jumping to other topics.

Cool.

No one is telling you what to do. Can't you extend the same courtesy to others??
No posters are harmed if the feature is utilised.
Everyone gets to experience the forum the way they would like to.

betrayal

Banned
No one is telling you what to do. Can't you extend the same courtesy to others??
No posters are harmed if the feature is utilised.
Everyone gets to experience the forum the way they would like to.

Hm? I have no problem with users using the ignore feature. Everyone has their own reasons, which is totally cool. I just stated my personal opinion and explained why i don't like it and why i don't use it.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Hm? I have no problem with users using the ignore feature. Everyone has their own reasons, which is totally cool. I just stated my personal opinion and explained why i don't like it and why i don't use it.
Your post (#168) doesn't really come across that way. It seems to not understand people's reasons, and puts down those who would choose to use it.

Seemingly.

;)

betrayal

Banned
Your post (#168) doesn't really come across that way. It seems to not understand people's reasons, and puts down those who would choose to use it.

Seemingly.

;)

I admit, after reading it again, i can see what you mean, but that's definitively not what i wanted to say. Bad wording on my part. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Last edited:

Dthomp

I'm pretty sure it does hide threads when you ignore someone. You can easily test it. I went to a psychic and asked what member you wanted to ignore, and she said it was V Voost Kain . Just hover over that name, click on ignore, go back to the gaming side and see if 10 threads about Stadia disappear from the front page.

Not gonna lie, that idea is very tempting. I've learned so much about nothing from all of those nonsense threads.

Top Bottom