• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

RDreamer

Still playing through Dragon Quest 8 and really loving it. Very different from DQ7. Feels like light years ahead. Better paced, looks better, sounds better, etc. Love the characters and the story, while simple, is pretty fine so far. About 45 hours in right now.

I also grabbed all the other DQ games. 7 is the only one I beat, so I think after 8 I'll do the IV, V, and VI trilogy. Saving IX for after all that probably.

Replaying(ish) Suikoden 2. Just defeated the big bad with Nanami and Hero being the only ones who were conscious.

Nanami is a gift! Such a fun character. I wish more female protagonists in JRPGs that have male leads were like her.

FiveSide

Banned
Add me to the Dragon Quest train. Playing through DQ5 for the first time and it's a blast. I think 3 is still my favorite, but that might change as I get further into 5.

The great thing about the earlier DQs is the pacing. They're just tightly-designed and fun to progress through. I've played I-V so far, and I'm concerned that VI-VIII will lose that strength due to the insane playtimes I see people post for them. But we'll see.

Astrael

DQ IV and V are on sale for 50% off on square enix store:

https://store.na.square-enix.com/back-to-school-sale-physical

Dang almost missed this post, today is the last day for the sale. Can't believe some of the games they still have physical copies of, decided to pick up some games I had lost over time, and DQ4 is one of my favorite games ever.
Pony Friends 2 DS yesss

I just started Trails in the Sky the 3rd a couple days ago, the last localized game in the series I need to play. Was broke when it came out and busy ever since, so getting to sit down with this game after the summer of waiting is just what I needed to lift my spirits. Still on the fence if I like the gameplay structure overall, but the story is already well done and decently paced and I'm really looking forward to see more.

leroidys

Back at SMT Nocturne, just made it to Ginza.

First time playing it on PS2 (previously played it as a PS2 classic on PS3).

Having my PS2 plugged in again, along with a half-dozen other consoles, I'm really buying into the PS2 being the greatest console of all time.

X2X0

Finished Baten Kaitos a week ago and couldn't ask for a better ending. Did most of side quests including reuniting Quzman's family which is so damn hilarious especially that fake death scene.
Had just one piece left for the star map quest and just saw how it looked when completed on youtube, isn't worth the trouble spending hours to get it.
oh and yeah loved the KOS-MOS figure card, it caught me by surprise.
I'm thinking about starting origin anytime now, heard it's even greater than this one :D

X2X0

I loved Baten Kaitos, haven't played Origins yet myself, but look forward to doing so in the near future.

Yeah it's a great game. My only complain though is Kalas's name, while normally I hate names changing in the localization, I wish they did it this time with him by changing his name to Raven, since it holds a lot of meaning in understanding Kalas's emotions and how he ended up doing what he did.
especially that scene when he finished talking to Dr.Larikush. and stopped before leaving to ask who named him, for the Japaneses players it was understood that he was probably hurt by his name all his life (since he was named literally raven in Japaneses) having only one wing and possibly thinking he's grandpa give him the ominous name which probably intensified his wish of having two wings thus doing what he did and his joy after acquiring them in the cave.

pervasive

Neo Member
Currently playing Rune Factory 4 on my N3DS,
finished the second arc working my way to the third one
, and I'm going to be starting to play Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love.

If anyone knows any games similar to Rune Factory 4, I've already played RF1, 2, and 3, I would love to hear it, Rune Factory really is my kind of game.

N E R O

Just finished & Platinumed Cosmic Star Heroin on PS4..I fell in Love. Short and Straight to the point. The game really nailed the 16 bit jrpg era

Not sure if I should make a huge investment in a long jrpg. Bought FFXII but it's still sealed. Finished P5 2 weeks ago after dumpibg 120 hours on It over a period of Almost 6 months. I really need something refreshing like Cosmic Star Heroin <3

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Beat .hack//Outbreak tonight. Thanks to having a strong plan at the start its post-game cleanup should be drastically shorter than the others. Now to finish watching SIGN, watch Liminality Vol.3, and startup Another Birth Vol.4.

Still smoothly progressing along in Ever Oasis though its issue of "oh you didn't bring a party member with a needed skill along? go back and get one" is really sucking! At the point where its like there are to many skills, especially because all they amount to is "press A and now you can progress to the next room".

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I beat Ever Oasis! The good demo it had led to me playing a good game!

Gonna start .hack//Quarantine maybe tonight? Or tomorrow for sures. For once this year I'll have only a single game in progress. Kinda makes me wanna pickup MH: Stories now... but I gotta stay focused!

Opa-Pa

Couldn't help myself and ended up starting a new character in Dark Souls.

Rang both bells in just two play sessions. Boy, this took me like 20 hours the first time!

Fantastic game, by the way, I'm still blown away by everything despite not being the first time.

RRockman

Banned
I beat Ever Oasis! The good demo it had led to me playing a good game!

Gonna start .hack//Quarantine maybe tonight? Or tomorrow for sures. For once this year I'll have only a single game in progress. Kinda makes me wanna pickup MH: Stories now... but I gotta stay focused!

Hey, I'm almost through outbreak as we speak! Great minds think alike I suppose.

I heard the virus cores get unbearable in vol. 4, are you prepared? I've been dreading it actually.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Hey, I'm almost through outbreak as we speak! Great minds think alike I suppose.

I heard the virus cores get unbearable in vol. 4, are you prepared? I've been dreading it actually.
Yups so far I've had all the cores needed to the next game(s) before even finishing each volumes story! My nice lil virus core needed list comes in handy! Quarantines the only one with abit of a problem in that area since ya need ones from it fairly early on. Since I'm leveling up super high super early I can abuse DD alot early on in each game an not have to worry much about the infection level.

RRockman

Banned
Yups so far I've had all the cores needed to the next game(s) before even finishing each volumes story! My nice lil virus core needed list comes in handy! Quarantines the only one with abit of a problem in that area since ya need ones from it fairly early on. Since I'm leveling up super high super early I can abuse DD alot early on in each game an not have to worry much about the infection level.

That's a good strategy. If you'll excuse me I'll now steal it shamelessly, lol. But seriously, that's brilliant and it lets one experience the game a lot more smoothly. Are you replaying for the fun of it or are you playing to reacquaint yourself before G.U. HD drops?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That's a good strategy. If you'll excuse me I'll now steal it shamelessly, lol. But seriously, that's brilliant and it lets one experience the game a lot more smoothly. Are you replaying for the fun of it or are you playing to reacquaint yourself before G.U. HD drops?

God I wish i could replay the IMQO too but my launch PS2 officially fucked!!! I wish they could at least put it on PS3 as classic PS2 game that you can get it from PStore.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
For fun really. The last couple of years I only did speedy runs of the games, an its been 5 years since I played/read/watched everything. So I'm going through it all for the heck of. I'll get reacquainted for G.U. HD by first replaying G.U. SD! My plans for that are grand...

-Project Maximum G.U.-
While playing each volume I'll...

read G.U.+
read G.U. novels
watch 1/3rd of Trilogy
(plus alcor, cell, gnu, terminal disc unlocks)

Labadal

Made some nice progress in Arc the Lad II, today. I beat the White House. Some interesting scenes going on and some annoying monsters to fight. It seems my party roster might grow bigger soon. I'm almost 11 hours in. I think I have very much left of the game. I don't know how to feel about that. I beat the first game in less than 14 hours. Reading a list of stuff to do, I suspect that I might spend close to 60 hours on this one.

sotojuan

Beat DQV (DS) on Sunday - amazing game. No idea why people call DQ stories "too simple". Yeah, the main character doesn't have amnesia or thinks they are someone else they are not, but the plot has many serious and fairly emotional moments. At the very least, it puts a smile on your face.

I started FFIV (DS) yesterday. So far, so good. I like that the game isn't very easy.

loudbill

I've never beaten a JRPG. But this year, i finally started playing them

Currently playing Persona 5, SMT 4, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Also playing Fire Emblem Fates Conquest, and Ever Oasis. Although i kinda gave up on Fire Emblem.

Aters

Currently playing Rune Factory 4 on my N3DS,
finished the second arc working my way to the third one
, and I'm going to be starting to play Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love.

If anyone knows any games similar to Rune Factory 4, I've already played RF1, 2, and 3, I would love to hear it, Rune Factory really is my kind of game.

Man what I'd do for a Rune Factory 5.

BouncyFrag

Been playing Ys Felghana and Im not digging the amount of flying monsters that are a bitch to hit with my puny sword. Does the game get better? I'm new to the series and have already played Ys 7 and Celceta liking Ys 7 the most.

redcrayon

Made some nice progress in Arc the Lad II, today. I beat the White House. Some interesting scenes going on and some annoying monsters to fight. It seems my party roster might grow bigger soon. I'm almost 11 hours in. I think I have very much left of the game. I don't know how to feel about that. I beat the first game in less than 14 hours. Reading a list of stuff to do, I suspect that I might spend close to 60 hours on this one.
I played it through a couple of years ago, took me around 55 hours after taking 15 or so on the first one. AtL III is long too. My advice is focus on getting stuff that regenerates magic points on your spellcasters that have area-effect heals, as some of the late game bosses are not so much particularly dangerous as just have large hp pools.

redcrayon

Currently playing Monster Hunter Stories, about 15 hours in. It's absolutely fantastic, doubly so if you like the main games. If you've ever liked the idea of MH but were put off for whatever reason, this reworks it as a JRPG, with you raising monsters to fight for you and tinkering with their skill setups via an inheritance system. All the MH mechanics are present, abstracted for the shift in genre, and so you're still turning kills into weapons and armour, predicting behaviour to dodge attacks, using traps and taking on quests, but it's all framed as a turn-based battle system rather than as an action game. It looks gorgeous and it's a shame lots of people are going to skip it, as it's easily one of the best RPGs on the 3DS in the face of stiff competition. Heartwarming much like Fantasy Life or Pokemon, and deceptively complex once you get past the first area and start to unlock more of the options for tinkering with your party setup, if you're in the market for lighthearted adventure, it's worth a go.

FiveSide

Banned
I've never beaten a JRPG. But this year, i finally started playing them

Currently playing Persona 5, SMT 4, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Also playing Fire Emblem Fates Conquest, and Ever Oasis. Although i kinda gave up on Fire Emblem.

Make sure to hit SMT4: Apocalypse after SMT4. Best combat system in the franchise.

I started this series this year also. I played through 1,2, felghana and celceta. I dont get the love for felghana. Yeah it's good but not great. Fying enemies were annoying and the game looks ugly on psp. They should have stayed full 2d. My favorite remains 2 on psp.

Personally Felghana is my favorite because of the bosses, best in the series.

Really enjoying VIII at the moment though. I think if you factor in everything across the board, VIII might be the best game in the series.

zoodoo

Been playing Ys Felghana and Im not digging the amount of flying monsters that are a bitch to hit with my puny sword. Does the game get better? I'm new to the series and have already played Ys 7 and Celceta liking Ys 7 the most.

I started this series this year also. I played through 1,2, felghana and celceta. I dont get the love for felghana. Yeah it's good but not great. Fying enemies were annoying and the game looks ugly on psp. They should have stayed full 2d. My favorite remains 2 on psp.

Been playing Record of Agarest War 2 for the PS3. Resonance of Fates is the next one I'm going to be playing after I beat Agarest 2.

So far, I'm really liking Agarest 2. The battle system is much better than the first Agarest. The only problem I have with the game is the slowdown that happens whenever I'm playing it.

Ys VIII, which is hype. I've never played more than just the opening of an Ys game before, but this is hitting all the right notes. Exploration and the silky smooth battle system are highlights, but I'm really enjoying base building too. That along with certain tonal elements reminds me a bit of Suikoden. Speaking of which, I just saw Alliance Alive is getting localized. That, DQ 11, NNK 2, and Octopath, next year is looking real good for jrpgs....

Ultratech

Dragon Quest VII - Just
beat Gracos and got Mervyn. It's nice to have a 4-man Party again.

It's going along well, but I feel it's gonna take a while to beat it (especially with how little I get to play it).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Beat .hack//Quarantine last night! Just got the usual post-game cleanup to do with it. Other .hack stuff I just finished last night/today have been Another Birth Vol.4, Liminality Vol.4, Unison, Legacy, and First Login!

Got AI buster 2, Legend of the Twilight, Terminal Disc, and Roots in progress. Should be able ta get going with G.U. Vol.1 sometime mid to late next week!

GeekyDad

Been playing Record of Agarest War 2 for the PS3. Resonance of Fates is the next one I'm going to be playing after I beat Agarest 2.

So far, I'm really liking Agarest 2. The battle system is much better than the first Agarest. The only problem I have with the game is the slowdown that happens whenever I'm playing it.

The battle system in Resonance of Fate is insanely awesome -- there's nothing quite like it. Everything else is a hot mess. But the story and dialogue are so bad they're funny. Fun game. tri-Ace musta been smoking a lot of pot and hash when they made that game...

Bravely Default and Final Fantasy XII.

Both are lasting far longer than I have reasonable time to put into them.

I'm at the end of Default now. (took a couple of days off to play Samus Returns). Excellent RPG, but man, the complaints about the latter half of the game really were not overstated. It's fucking ridiculous. No idea what they were thinking.

Daouzin

Came close to completing Ever Oasis, but I lost interest. I think I have about 4-6 hours left. I'm hoping to wrap it up in the next few weeks. Loved it at first, but kept expecting the game to "shine,"; kept waiting for it to tie all it's concepts together. Never really felt like it did.

I'm playing quite a few games right now, but on the "JRPG" front it's only Ever Oasis & Goddess Black Heart

I've been in the mood for PS2 era JRPGs (that I haven't played) and that I can play on modern consoles or Steam. Played Sudeki and Star Ocean V. I'm leaning towards Exist Archive now.

I should just play Xenoblade Chronicles X, but it's not a traditional turn based game and I'm strangely in the mood for that right now above everything else.

Do people consider Exist Archive better or worse then Star Ocean V? Despite all it's flaws I enjoyed SO:V

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Came close to completing Ever Oasis, but I lost interest. I think I have about 4-6 hours left. I'm hoping to wrap it up in the next few weeks. Loved it at first, but kept expecting the game to "shine,"; kept waiting for it to tie all it's concepts together. Never really felt like it did.

I'm playing quite a few games right now, but on the "JRPG" front it's only Ever Oasis & Goddess Black Heart

I've been in the mood for PS2 era JRPGs (that I haven't played) and that I can play on modern consoles or Steam. Played Sudeki and Star Ocean V. I'm leaning towards Exist Archive now.

I should just play Xenoblade Chronicles X, but it's not a traditional turn based game and I'm strangely in the mood for that right now above everything else.

Do people consider Exist Archive better or worse then Star Ocean V? Despite all it's flaws I enjoyed SO:V

I thought combat was much better in Exist Archive (it's basically the Valkyrie Profile battle system), but the lack of enemies/unique environments killed it for me. It's ridiculous how they turned asset reuse into such an art form... Play the first 10 hours of Exist and you've seen everything you've seen.

Anyways for me: Octopath Traveler Demo and gonna start Ys 8 today.

Fou-Lu

Have you played any of Falcom's Trails games? Four of them are on steam now and they are absolutely wonderful. They have turn-based combat and I feel like they fit in with the PS2 era vibes. They are slow burns, but have some of the best world building in the biz.

This weekend messed around with Xenoblade 1 & X. I'm not gonna finish X just wanted to check it out again. I'll probably continue with the original sporadically.
Been on a huge Monster Hunter kick. While waiting for Stories I retried 4Ultimate, and it finally clicked. So now I'm playing that along with Stories.
Going to try and beat as many (J)RPGs as possible before Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes out. That's going to be my focus in December into 2018.

Top Bottom