• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Daouzin

Have you played any of Falcom's Trails games? Four of them are on steam now and they are absolutely wonderful. They have turn-based combat and I feel like they fit in with the PS2 era vibes. They are slow burns, but have some of the best world building in the biz.

I own The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I believe it's the first one?

I thought combat was much better in Exist Archive (it's basically the Valkyrie Profile battle system), but the lack of enemies/unique environments killed it for me. It's ridiculous how they turned asset reuse into such an art form... Play the first 10 hours of Exist and you've seen everything you've seen.

Ouch, I think I can live with that, but now that it's been mentioned I'll probably just start TitS

Meia

Just bought Tales of Berseria, so that's what I'll start tonight. Will also be my first Tales game, so we'll see how that goes. :p

Szadek

Just bought Tales of Berseria, so that's what I'll start tonight. Will also be my first Tales game, so we'll see how that goes. :p
I have the game for a while, but haven't played it yet.
The thread about Velvet's outfit actually made my want to play this game. Will probably start it after finishg 1 or 2 other games.

Ascheroth

Cool, I'll be starting that today then.
Know that all of the NPCs get new things to say after every little story event. You learn a lot about them and the world that way and many have their own little character arcs during the game. It makes the world feel like there really are people living their lives outside of your personal journey.

MoonFrog

Finished Nocturne to the neutral ending this weekend. I'm also on the final dungeon of TitS.

On the back boiler I have Radiant Historia going on but I've been on AH Final Chapter for a while now. Further back I also have a Mystery of the Emblem game going. Way way back I still have Thracia 776 to get to.

And I have Strange Journey, which I may pick up again now that I've beat Nocturne, Infinite Space, and now I've just bought the PS2 Digital Devil Saga games :p.

I've also been looking into Ys recently. Might play some more of that or Xanadu Next.

SephLuis

Finished Nocturne to the neutral ending this weekend. I'm also on the final dungeon of TitS.

On the back boiler I have Radiant Historia going on but I've been on AH Final Chapter for a while now. Further back I also have a Mystery of the Emblem game going. Way way back I still have Thracia 776 to get to.

And I have Strange Journey, which I may pick up again now that I've beat Nocturne, Infinite Space, and now I've just bought the PS2 Digital Devil Saga games :p.

I've also been looking into Ys recently. Might play some more of that or Xanadu Next.

Finish TitS and let us know your impressions of the game.

Xanadu Next is great, but also very different from Ys. Much slower, but exploring is also great. It isn't a very long game either. I finished with 21 hours, according to Steam, and I think I did everything.

Fou-Lu

Xanadu Next was one of the most surprising games I played this year. Beautiful, addicting and fun. I finished it in a couple of sittings.

sotojuan

Almost done with FFIV (DS). This is amazing - really fun and engaging plot with a brisk pace. What's best - when I feel like replaying this game, there are like two or three more versions I can try :D

Is FFIII (DS) great too?

The battle system in Resonance of Fate is insanely awesome -- there's nothing quite like it. Everything else is a hot mess. But the story and dialogue are so bad they're funny. Fun game. tri-Ace musta been smoking a lot of pot and hash when they made that game...

I'm at the end of Default now. (took a couple of days off to play Samus Returns). Excellent RPG, but man, the complaints about the latter half of the game really were not overstated. It's fucking ridiculous. No idea what they were thinking.

I'm a huge fan of tri-Ace for their battle systems so that's good to hear. How tough is game so that I can be prepared when I start playing it.

Daouzin

Know that all of the NPCs get new things to say after every little story event. You learn a lot about them and the world that way and many have their own little character arcs during the game. It makes the world feel like there really are people living their lives outside of your personal journey.

Cool, yeah, that's what I've heard.

Certain DQ games do that pretty well too, so I'm a big fan of that. Sounds like this game takes that to another level.

Enjoying it so far, but only a couple hours in so far.

GeekyDad

I'm a huge fan of tri-Ace for their battle systems so that's good to hear. How tough is game so that I can be prepared when I start playing it.

Well, the one thing I feel like tri-Ace doesn't always do a great job at is explaining things clearly to the player. Ironically, this game has perhaps the most tutorials than any of their other games I've played, and still the battle system can be a bit confusing. That being said, once you wrap your head around all of the mechanics (which wasn't that easy for me, honestly), it's not an unfair challenge at all. You just really have to make proper use of the right weapons. But it's a weird and awesome fucking system. It's like rogue-like meets traditional turn-based meets Devil May Cry -- it's fucking wild. The overworld grid system is a little frustrating, though.

The only thing to really be prepared for, though, is tedium at the beginning when going through all those tutorials and awesomeness after that. ;)

Some maps/dungeons can be quite challenging. It's definitely not a straight-up dungeon crawl.

ys45

Completed DQ8 a few weeks ago .
And I received my collector of Ys8 last Thursday .

I already played for 12h lol The game is so good, the gameplay and the music are awesome. Story seems slow to pickup but I don't mind

I recently started Valkyrie Profile. This has got to be one of the worst tutorials I've ever witnessed. It's spamming information in the worst kind of way, yet still fails to tell me anything important to comprehend what's going on. I.e., I have no idea what I'm doing (insert dog scientist meme). Menus are convoluted and weird, I don't find the abilities that items supposedly gave me, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do in battles other than to wait for the single magic caster to recharge, I don't know whether a substory has concluded (or started?), or even why I can't climb on top of ladders in dungeons.

Shifty1897

Just finished the A ending in Nier: Automata. I'm worried it will get snubbed during GOTY time just because of how strong the competition is this year. This game is better than any game released in 2014.

Resonance of Fate can get really, really hard. Be prepared.

I recently started Valkyrie Profile. This has got to be one of the worst tutorials I've ever witnessed. It's spamming information in the worst kind of way, yet still fails to tell me anything important to comprehend what's going on. I.e., I have no idea what I'm doing (insert dog scientist meme). Menus are convoluted and weird, I don't find the abilities that items supposedly gave me, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do in battles other than to wait for the single magic caster to recharge, I don't know whether a substory has concluded (or started?), or even why I can't climb on top of ladders in dungeons.

It's one of those games that people swear by but also suggest you keep a guide by your side. You're probably already doing it wrong by playing on Normal instead of Hard. Me, I bounced off of it real quick, as I have no interest in keeping a FAQ open while I play.

Well, the one thing I feel like tri-Ace doesn't always do a great job at is explaining things clearly to the player. Ironically, this game has perhaps the most tutorials than any of their other games I've played, and still the battle system can be a bit confusing. That being said, once you wrap your head around all of the mechanics (which wasn't that easy for me, honestly), it's not an unfair challenge at all. You just really have to make proper use of the right weapons. But it's a weird and awesome fucking system. It's like rogue-like meets traditional turn-based meets Devil May Cry -- it's fucking wild. The overworld grid system is a little frustrating, though.

The only thing to really be prepared for, though, is tedium at the beginning when going through all those tutorials and awesomeness after that. ;)

Some maps/dungeons can be quite challenging. It's definitely not a straight-up dungeon crawl.

Thanks for the advice. ^^

Just finished the A ending in Nier: Automata. I'm worried it will get snubbed during GOTY time just because of how strong the competition is this year. This game is better than any game released in 2014.

Resonance of Fate can get really, really hard. Be prepared.

Yeah that's what I expect since it's a tri-Ace game. :p

kswiston

Slightly off topic, but probably of interest to posters here:

Some of you might have seen the latest version of my Essential RPG thread occasionally popping up on the main page of the gaming forum. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434280

The thread is currently in its voting stage, and as an incentive to vote, I started a pool of prizes to be raffled off to the people participating. Thanks to some donations, there are over a dozen prizes, including games and PSN credit.

In addition to that, Robert from Zeboyd games has very graciously offered to give the first 200 voting participants a free copy of Cosmic Star Heroine on Steam. This is a 16-bit JRPG styled indie title that takes inspiration from Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger (among other games).

The Essential RPG threads aim to introduce GAF members to new RPGs. People's voting lists also serve as recommendations, with several posters giving detailed reasons why you should be playing their favourite games. At the end of the vote, I consolidate everything into a top 50 list that gives a bunch of information for each game (including cost, available platforms, key staff, OST highlights, etc). The aggregate list is good for less experienced RPG gamers, while the individual recommendations are good for everyone.

If you would like to help make a strong end product, and win free games while doing so, I encourage you to participate! (just read through the rules first!)

To not be completely off topic, I have been playing a lot of Fire Emblem Heroes, some Fire Emblem Echoes, and have been trying to find time to get back into Persona 5. I had to put it aside when I made a cross country move back in July, and I haven't quite worked up the motivation to dive back in since.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Started .hack//G.U. Vol.1: Rebirth yesterday and......

Ugh!!!

After alil more then 3 hours I finally got to a point where I could create an area an hop off the train called extreme railroad! Breakdowns prolly close to 1 1/2 reading news/forums/backstory, 1 hour on cutscenes, an the rest on the 2 tutorial areas e.e;

Makes the start of Infection feel like a 10 minute affair by comparison!

Li Kao

Shin Megami Tensei 4. I would say a little more than half the way.
There are some things that seriously get on my nerve in this game design, like the delirious encounter rate and the too frequent visit to Naraku, but other than that it's a cool ride.

N E R O

Currently Playing Final Fantasy 1 on GBA and 7 on PS4

FF1 is harder than I expected. I keep constantly dying. I think I should ditch the GBA version and start playing the PSP's since it's a superior version ?

Opa-Pa

I'm under the impression FF1 on PSP is the same as the GBA version except ugli-, different visually. And both are significantly easier than the original and the PS1 remake.

GeekyDad

There are some things that seriously get on my nerve in this game design, like the delirious encounter rate and the too frequent visit to Naraku, but other than that it's a cool ride.

Wait, a little more than halfway what? If you're still visiting Naraku, you haven't really made it past the game's introduction.

kurahador

Bwahahahaahaha. Prepare to be shocked.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I thought I was reading the SMT4 post wrong too, but then it hit me haha.

Amyway I'm playing Monster Hunter: Stories. At first I thought I'd just get it because I like MH, it has a nice aesthetic (sans that fucking cat) and I could stomach a decent JRPG, but boy, this game is actually really, really good. Basef on how no one talked about it before it released overseas I totally expected it be just good at best, but the game has a surprising amount of depth, customization (in both appearances and gameplay) and adapts elements from MH in very creative ways. Combat is great and legitimately challenging too!

I made it past the point the game opens up and now I can tackle DLC quests, forge weapons and armor, etc, and so far the game is an absolute winner.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Putting some solid hours in Ys VIII on Nightmare.

Playing Ys 8 on normal, myself. I'm in the midst of chapter 3, about to start the game's first suppression mission. I'm really liking the game so far, though the translation is questionable and I can do without the tower defense stuff. The castaway storyline is pretty neat and unique for the genre, the world tree stuff with Dana is not (just glad they didn't call it Yiggdrasil again!)

ohlawd

I've heard great things about that Atelier trilogy for Vita, so I got the bundle.

good choice

if you haven't played one before I only got one piece of advice; don't sweat the deadlines. There's so much time to get lots of things done and get an ending (the games have multiple endings) that you'll be happy with

you can fuck up by eating up lots of days but that shouldn't happen if you plan ahead of time

Opa-Pa

good choice

if you haven't played one before I only got one piece of advice; don't sweat the deadlines. There's so much time to get lots of things done and get an ending (the games have multiple endings) that you'll be happy with

you can fuck up by eating up lots of days but that shouldn't happen if you plan ahead of time

Oh yeah, I was a bit intimidated by the concept at first, but having played more games with similar mechanics recently I felt more confident and decided to jump in. Good to know it's not as bad as one would initially think, thanks!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I got a feeling people nostalgic for .hack//G.U. are gonna get hit with a wakeup call when they go back ta play it in HD.

After around I'd say 10 hours Rebirth finally "opened up" though not even close to the extent of the original series. Its super restrective in the availibility of the whopping 6 whole party members ya get. Especially since for more than half the game 2 of 'em are pretty much never available to be called upon outside of their few an far between story related events.

Then theres the handholding...

- read email
- "I should go to place"
- "I should go to place"
- place on map has a big ol' marker over it

Did the devs forget they added a "Memoir" thing in the menu which you can look at to see what ya oughta be doing?

Aters

Is it just me who find getting into old 2d classics is easier than getting into 3d classics? I honestly think 3d adds little to JRPG and wastes player's time. The time you go from store A to store B in a 3d RPG is enough for going from town A to town B in a 2d RPG.

I also find myself preferring simple battle animation like old DQ and SMT4 more than 3d battle in turn based games.

Aters

I just realized that out of the 39 DS games I've beaten so far, 31 of them are JRPGs. And I still have like two or three JRPGs to go. DS is a JRPG beast.

turbocat

Still and always playing Pokemon.

I don't know if this is allowed here, but I figured with my pretty decent backlog, I would ask all the JRPG experts what I should play next. These are all of the portable JRPGs on my backlog currently:

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Xenogears
Suikoden 2
Wild Arms
The World Ends With You (iOS)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Freedom Wars (does this count?)

sotojuan

I just realized that out of the 39 DS games I've beaten so far, 31 of them are JRPGs. And I still have like two or three JRPGs to go. DS is a JRPG beast.

What are some of your favorites? My DS library is small though 100% JRPG.

--

Started SMTIV a few days ago. Very challenging in a good way - I love that the game encourages me to fuse and strategize my demons instead of grinding for levels.

Almost done with FFIX Disc 3. Fun stuff.

Fou-Lu

I just reached the second disk of Baten Kaitos Origins and I think it might be the best prequel game ever made. I also just started the original Shin Megami Tensei. I am having a lot of fun with the fact that I named the MC after myself and the other party members after my friends.

Aters

I don't know if this is allowed here, but I figured with my pretty decent backlog, I would ask all the JRPG experts what I should play next. These are all of the portable JRPGs on my backlog currently:

Xenogears
Suikoden 2
Wild Arms

I will go with Tactics Ogre. I feel like this game is still fun to play today while some other classics on the list aged a bit in the gameplay department.

Xenogears
Suikoden 2
Wild Arms

Suikoden II would be my suggestion. It's a fantastic game, my favorite in the series.

Still need to burn through Trails 3rd, baby.

Also gonna check out the different JRPGs on the SNES Classic when I get to chance to play it. It'll be my first time going through some of these games, so I'm excited.

RDreamer

Just beat Dragon Quest IV, and I really liked it. Played it directly after beating VIII and VII, so I'm not sure if I really want to jump into V yet and risk burning out midway through or something.

-NeoTB1-

FFIX on PS4. It's great to go back and experience this classic again.

The Sen no Kiseki III import thread has got me wanting to go back and complete a second playthrough of II. I may wait, though, since I have plenty of other games waiting to be played.

Top Bottom