• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

I just reached the second disk of Baten Kaitos Origins and I think it might be the best prequel game ever made. I also just started the original Shin Megami Tensei. I am having a lot of fun with the fact that I named the MC after myself and the other party members after my friends.

I beater this game a long time ago and I remember the holo bird boss was so annoying. Great game

Byvar

Just started Nier Automata and I'm so glad to be playing a (action) JRPG again - and a great one at that. I played Witcher 3 and Inside before this, both good games, but there's just nothing that can top JRPGs for me.
Will I miss much if I didn't play Suikoden 1?
Yes, you will. If you recruit all characters in Suikoden 1 and finish the game, you'll get arguably the best sidequest ever made in Suikoden 2. Plus, there are a few important characters in Suikoden 2 that were in the first game and that you'll appreciate more if you've played that.
Suikoden 2 is the best game I've ever played though, and Suikoden 1 is quite good too so it's definitely worth playing just to enjoy the second game that much more.

I should really get a PS3 one of these days so I can finally play that PSN copy of Suikoden 3 that I've bought but have no platform to play on...

Disgaea Switch.
I really enjoy the story and characters except for Plipp. I want to crush skulls and defecate on bubblegum when I hear her voice.

Other than that it is fantastic.

jb1234

Finishing up Dragon Quest VII, a game that I ran through in its original version back in 2000-2001 and never thought I'd replay. And yet, I have. Being older, I think I'm in a better position to appreciate what it's trying to do, despite a lot of backtracking and rehash.

And after trying to force my way through the very tropey and disappointing Trails of Cold Steel, it's refreshing to play a game that mostly eschews the anime melodramatics and tells its many stories with subtlety.

Been playing Ys VIII, around 12 hours I think, seriously, Sony needs to implement some kind of activity log.

Really enjoyed the game so far, especially for its quick pace. Everything is quick, even the loading screen.

Milennia

going to start nier at some point this week, making it the last of the big profile jrpgs that have released and i have completed this year

after that its xenoblade 2 i suppose

Will I miss much if I didn't play Suikoden 1?
You get some extras if you beat 1 but nothing that really matters. You can play the second game perfectly fine as a stand alone game story and character wise.

Having said all that Suikoden 1 is still a great game so if you can play that first I'd still recommend it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Been playing Ys VIII, around 12 hours I think, seriously, Sony needs to implement some kind of activity log.

Really enjoyed the game so far, especially for its quick pace. Everything is quick, even the loading screen.

You can see your progress easily: when you go to the save screen, press the "i" button.

GeekyDad

EOIV it's so addicting once you get an hour or so in, went ahead and bought the remakes of I and II and Persona Q as well.

Loved all those games, and I really thought they did an excellent job translating the Persona universe into the EO gameplay. The story premise is pretty ridiculous, but it won't matter. It's a very satisfying game for fans of both series.

Surfside

Banned
Playing Final Fantasy 15 right know. Pretty early in the game getting a hang of the combat system. The open world is a bit lifeless but it doesn't bother me, for now. I like the road trip style really well though.

SirNinja

Replaying SMT Strange Journey (since I'm doing the OT for Redux). Fantastic game, and one of the few SMTs that actually maintains a high difficulty throughout, rather than the usual "the beginning is brutal, but once you ____________________, it's all downhill from there" difficulty that's marked so many RPGs in general.

Szadek

I played a little bit more FFXV... and uninstalled it shortly afterwards. Hopefully I'm smart enough to never touch it again.
Made it to the point where it shows you fucking trailer to that garbarge Kingsglaive movie.
Instead of getting a proper cutscene or,even better, taking part in the events, we get exposition view news paper.
This is just insultingly bad.

I will get back to (much better) JPRG's soon eough, but I still need to finish another (W)RPG first.

Playing through SMT4, about 20 hours in. I finished Nocturne in early September and waited a bit before jumping into this. I have to say the game's balancing feels totally awkward in comparison.

I think this is attributed to a lot of things, but one thing I've really noticed is that it feels like everyone does more damage and has less health in general, including yourself and bosses. This kind of exacerbates the one-sided fight problem I think press-turn games struggle with. In Nocturne enemies characters were hardy enough that even suffering a big disadvantage you felt like there was a chance to come back from it. There was tension. But here everyone is so squishy that fights tend to last 1-3 turns max, and if a boss goes on the first turn and gets a lucky crit or something there's a very real possibility you can get killed without getting a chance to do anything. Props to the game for a particularly annoying recent battle which was going fine until one of my AI companions hit an enemy with an element they absorbed, giving them smirk for the next turn and nearly wiping me out in the process.

Speaking of smirk I'd heard all the complaints about this mechanic, and it is a pretty bad one. I think I can see at least some of the reasons it was implemented, like discouraging you from hitting groups of enemies with random aoe spells because you know the consequences won't be that big even if one of them nulls it. But it just makes a battle system that already feels very luck based lean even more in that direction. The gameplay really hasn't drawn me in all that much, the boss fights don't feel nearly as strategic or unique as many of the ones in Nocturne or DDS did, where so many of them felt like they had their own gimmick or unique mechanic attached.

On the other hand I really like the setting, the post-apocalyptic Tokyo feels incredibly well realized, though also probably a bit too ambitious for the game. Looking at some of the (amazing) concept art it's obvious they couldn't fully capture their vision with the 3DS hardware or their limited budget. I've heard Apocalypse addresses a lot of the gameplay complaints people had with SMT4, though suffers in other areas. Looking forward to getting to start that afterward and see how it fares.

I finished FF5 recently, still an amazing game after all these years.

Now I'm playing Blue Dragon for the first time, kind of surprised how the game throws you into the heat of things and establishes the villain with little to no exposition to the world around you, the only thing I hate about the game so far is how it runs, the game drops a lot of frames in the middle of battle and screws the timing trying to land my magic charges in the sweet spot, it's really, really bad.

I know that the game runs better if played on an Xbone, I wonder if it'll actually eliminate these horrid mid-battle frame drops.

I also have 7 hours invested in Ys: Oath of Felghana, easily one of my favorite action RPG I've played recently, it's just fun running around exploring the dungeons while listening to the awesome music, boss battles are also intense and extremely satisfying.

Consider me a big Nihon Falcom fan now.

Jennipeg

Still chipping away at FFXII.

I didn't bother with many side quests the first time round, so there is so much new content for me now. I'm currently levelling up in preparation for Zodiark, and the 2nd Gilgamesh fight. I'm struggling with that one because i'm trying to steal the Genji gear and he's kicking my arse while I wait for stupid Vaan to steal.

Vaan is as irrelevant as I remember, always trying to muscle in to other peoples cutscenes. I finished Pharos the other day, and the cutscenes at the end were amazing, but then he cuts in with 'and Rex!' ugh, sod off Vaan nobody is talking about you.

I played a little bit more FFXV... and uninstalled it shortly afterwards. Hopefully I'm smart enough to never touch it again.
Made it to the point where it shows you fucking trailer to that garbarge Kingsglaive movie.
Instead of getting a proper cutscene or,even better, taking part in the events, we get exposition view news paper.
This is just insultingly bad.

I will get back to (much better) JPRG's soon eough, but I still need to finish another (W)RPG first.

It doesn't get better, in fact it gets worse, I was insulted by parts of that game.

leroidys

Any thoughts on Monster Hunter Stories?

Looking for something with charm and great music akin to a Xenoblade Chronicles
One of my stealth games if the year so far. Amazing amount of polish for a handheld title and the combat system that people wrote off as Rock Paper Scissors is incredibly deep. Get it!

ys45

Finished Dragon Quest 8 on 3DS .

And I'm about 38h in Ys 8, this game is going to be in my top 3 of 2017 the game is so fun and addicting.
The story gets really interesting also , overall, I think it's the best "modern" Ys .

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I Am Setsuna. Currently halfway through the game and hope to have it finished by the time The Evil Within 2 comes out.

Gunkankun

Get the Demo atleast. Everything carries over afterwards. Was luke warm to the whole concept and the demo really sealed it for me. Just know that the game throws more and more at you as you progress, which is a good thing.

5 hours into Final Fantasy IX
2 hours into Earthbound
1 hour into Super Mario RPG
30 mins into Final Fantasy VI
30 mins into Blue Reflection

Somehow this is working for me.

RDreamer

Started up Dragon Quest V for the first time after beating 7, 8, and then 4.

Also started up the FFXII remaster and played that for a few hours.

Bladenic

Anyone Lacrimosa of Dana-ing right now? i'm very curious about that game.

I am. Chapter 6 (assuming end game or close to it?). Incredibly fun game. Heaps of bosses. Lots to see and lots to do. Highly recommended game. 2017 has been rather terrific for JRPGs and Ys 8 stands strong amongst the rest.

Mudo

Started up Dragon Quest V for the first time after beating 7, 8, and then 4.

Also started up the FFXII remaster and played that for a few hours.

DQ5 is in my top 5 games of all time - savor it :)

I’m currently playing: (all kinds of rpgs)

FF 3 (6) on SNES Mini
Pillars of Eternity on PS4
FFIX on PS4
Ys 8
Ever Oasis 3DS

Damn it’s just an amazing time for RPGs I hope this keeps up!

redcrayon

It's a beautiful game, one of my favourites so far this year. Really nice to see a spin-off that treats its source material with such respect while also coming up with a new combat system. It's got charm but isn't as expansive as Xenoblade, the meat is in managing and developing the critters. What I did find really well done is in the animation of the monsters when you ride them- bounding, swimming and flying around on the MH creatures is a lot of fun, and the mini-games in combat, once you start having aerial showdowns and breath weapon battles in addition to the main mechanics give it a distinct feel.
Anyone Lacrimosa of Dana-ing right now? i'm very curious about that game.
Just finished this on Vita, fantastic game, I love the setup. Having your group of castaways building a settlement on a deserted island is a refreshing change of pace for an rpg, the music is exceptional and the combat fast-paced. Easily one of the best RPGs this year.

Szadek

It doesn't get better, in fact it gets worse, I was insulted by parts of that game.
That's almost imressive. I might watch the cutscenes on youtube, so to see how the story turns out.

Back to good JRPG's.
I played somemore Shadow Hearts. Story is pretty simple so far: Several people are after secondary main character, alice, because of her powers.
What is interesting is that there are 3 different villains and all of them are after her seemingly different reasons.

Today I got a new party member, Margarete. She is very sassy, which combined with the asshole main character, lead to some really funny dialogues.

Opa-Pa

It's one of the biggest surprises this year for me, the game adapts MH elements to a new format so well, and it's surprisingly deep and relatively challenging too. I could tell you a lot about it but the demo is basically the first 5 hours or so of the main game and will give you a good idea of whether it's for you or not.

I'm seriously surprised no one is talking about this game.

It's one of the biggest surprises this year for me, the game adapts MH elements to a new format so well, and it's surprisingly deep and relatively challenging too. I could tell you a lot about it but the demo is basically the first 5 hours or so of the main game and will give you a good idea of whether it's for you or not.

I'm seriously surprised no one is talking about this game.

been playing the demo today and loving it, yeah.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I just beat .hack//G.U. Vol.1: Rebirth. Now onto the post-game cleanup!

I started Secret of Mana on friday an its alil cheaper than I remember it being. Sprite really could use more durability. Whatevs though, I'm having a good time with it! A nice warmup in anticipation of the remake!

Fou-Lu

I've been in a state of ennui lately and having a tough time pushing myself to do fun things (not just games, but things in general). Does anyone have some JRPG recommendations that are good for pulling you out of a funk and are easy to keep playing?

SephLuis

I've been in a state of ennui lately and having a tough time pushing myself to do fun things (not just games, but things in general). Does anyone have some JRPG recommendations that are good for pulling you out of a funk and are easy to keep playing?

Did you ever play an Atelier game? I find some of them strangely relaxing since you can do everything at your own pace most of the time.

I think Atelier Sophie would be a good place to start.

Bladenic

Ys 8

At chapter 5 in Ys VIII now, I think I'm about done? Unless the last few dungeons are super long.

Anyway, I also just got my copy of Dragon's Dogma. Start DD or finish Ys first? Decision.

Opa-Pa

I really, really want to get Dragon's Dogma for PS4, but I've been super busy with work so I've only been able to play chunks of Golf Story on my Switch and Monster Hunter Stories on my 3DS... Plus I have Metroid Prime 3.

I think I'll get it right after being done with MP3! I've waited so long to try DD. And once I finish MHS I'll probably start Rorona Plus.

GeekyDad

I really, really want to get Dragon's Dogma for PS4, but I've been super busy with work so I've only been able to play chunks of Golf Story on my Switch and Monster Hunter Stories on my 3DS... Plus I have Metroid Prime 3.

I think I'll get it right after being done with MP3! I've waited so long to try DD. And once I finish MHS I'll probably start Rorona Plus.

I've read a couple of your comments about MHS, but I'm still on the fence. I'm just afraid the story (and mainly the dialogue) won't be very good. I don't mind silly and playful, but annoyingly amateurish writing (like the stuff we would get in Image Epoch games) is so disappointing. I mean, one of my favorite RPGs is Diamond/Pearl. The dialogue reminded me of Charles Schutz's Peanuts. But then stuff like Gungnir is just hard to get into because the dialogue is just not very good. I love all kinds of tones in terms of stories; it's the quality that really makes it or breaks it for me.

Usobuko

Banned
Suikoden II

I played quite a lot of classics after 2010s or so and I think I like this game better than most. The likes of Chrono Trigger, DQ V, FFT etc. I laughed when I saw the sprite of Pilika bumping against Bolgan stomach supposedly.

FFT remains by far my favorite. Love the story of both Ramza and Delita.

paperlynx

Dragon's Dogma, I'm only 2 hours in so far so too early to judge the game but it definitely has promise, glad I finally get to try the game after missing it on PS3

Opa-Pa

I've read a couple of your comments about MHS, but I'm still on the fence. I'm just afraid the story (and mainly the dialogue) won't be very good. I don't mind silly and playful, but annoyingly amateurish writing (like the stuff we would get in Image Epoch games) is so disappointing. I mean, one of my favorite RPGs is Diamond/Pearl. The dialogue reminded me of Charles Schutz's Peanuts. But then stuff like Gungnir is just hard to get into because the dialogue is just not very good. I love all kinds of tones in terms of stories; it's the quality that really makes it or breaks it for me.

Oh, I'll be honest, I'm not interested in the story myself in the slightest. It's not /bad/ mind you, just not very interesting to me, although it does have some elements you wouldn't expect in a friendly-looking game like this such as (spoilers of something that happens like 15 mins in)
your childhood friend getting his mother KILLED by a monster, ending up an orphan and changing forever
, so stuff like that is still neat in a sense... But that stupid companion cat your character has gets on my nerves, he's another bad copy of Whisper from Yo-kai Watch like the annoying Rotom Dex from Pokemon SuMo, I think it's the only thing from Stories I dislike.

But yeah the game has some cool, funny things like an elder who only speaks in rhymes, some guy who uses surfer slang etc, so it's not dry in the slightest (I couldn't tell you if it's the localization or not), so there's love put in there, but personally is not something I actively enjoy save for very specific moments/characters.

I'd say you could enjoy it though, like I said the demo consists of the first 5 hours or so, so it'll give you a good idea of the story too, and I think there's even an anime based on the game you could check out, although the localization work would be lost there. It's not a game I'd play for its story but it isn't crap either.

Monster Hunter Stories doesn't really have a good story (ironic considering the name, I suppose). Think Pokemon but slightly darker, not enough to really make it interesting though. The gameplay is fun though, even if the rock paper scissors nature of the combat can be a little limiting.

Top Bottom