• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Got myself locked into the neutral ending in SMT4, was worried I would screw it up since I didn't use a guide for most of it. I'm honestly pretty ready for the game to be over with, but now I have to clean up all the mandatory sidequests, so I guess I have awhile left.

10 hours into Final Fantasy VI. The presentation is impressive for SNES standards and it's pretty fun to play. I'd say character development seems lacking though. Like, for most of the characters it doesn't even feel like there's any reason that they are in your party all of a sudden.

68624_front.jpg

I just finished Lost Odyssey after 69 hours on Xbone. I did almost everything (invisible chests, Arena etc.) except the bonus dungeon (Temple of Enlightenment) because that was just too long after 2 hours running from enemies.

So I said fuck it and went to the Grand Staff instead.

Ugh....... that was another 4 hours!!! But it was insanely easy at my level plus my equipment (Nullify All on every party member rocks).

Gongora was... a joke. It was so refreshing to play an JRPG where the final boss is piss poor easy (but then FF15's boss was also super easy). I decimated him in like 5 turns. Combo, Combo, Power Hit, Double Flarus, Double Flarus. Repeat 5 times. Boss is dead.

All in all a fantastic JRPG that reminded me of FF8 of all games. Must be that mix of high-tech/ fantasy world.

Bitanator

I've been in a state of ennui lately and having a tough time pushing myself to do fun things (not just games, but things in general). Does anyone have some JRPG recommendations that are good for pulling you out of a funk and are easy to keep playing?

Look into the Magical Vacation games, the GBA game is translated now and I love the DS game Magical Starsign. Just charming Brownie Brown rpgs that might put a smile on your face while playing

RalchAC

Just finished Nier Automata and did a LTTP that didn't gain much traction. Now I'm deep into a masochist relationship with a mad man called Yoko Taro. I'll totally buy his next game, despite him including all sort of dickish stuff in Automata to fuck over its players without a single trace of mercy or regret.

I think I'll play Cosmic Star Heroine next, since I've been told it's a relatively short game. I'll do it at a slow pace and try to spend more times in other hobbies that got a bit on the track side when I bought my PS4 in May.

Exentryk

Playing Battle Chasers: Nightwar. Really cool game with a nice combat system. Nice comic book style cutscenes and storytelling, and neat art-style too. It's a little grindy and loot oriented, but the combat makes it fun. Some QoL updates would make it great!

sotojuan

The SNES Mini (especially now that it has hacks) has messed up my JRPG backlog.

Technically, I am playing SMTIV (3DS) and FFVI (SNES) at the moment. The former is going slowly but well, the latter is awesome but I spend a bit too much time grinding for Rages. I'm about to head to the
Floating Continent
but I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

But since the SNES is hackable now... I started a Chrono Trigger playthrough. Got to the future time. I really want to keep playing but I have other games to play!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I moved onto .hack//G.U. Vol.2: Reminisce the other day after finishing 100%'ing Vol.1.

Ughhhhhhhhh.

I forgot Vol.2 & Vol.3 like to pretend players didn't play a previous edition of the game and have to tell you all over again about @home stuff, quests, etc. The handholding in this series is truly extremely. What happened CC2? IMOQ didn't pull stuff like this!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
At chapter 5 in Ys VIII now, I think I'm about done? Unless the last few dungeons are super long.

Anyway, I also just got my copy of Dragon's Dogma. Start DD or finish Ys first? Decision.

Heh, I just started chapter 5 of Ys8 as well. I hear it's the longest chapter of the game... I'm at 60% of world exploration now, 25 hours in.

Zutrax

I'm looking for some more obtuse (but still worth playing) JRPG's from the PS1 and PS2 era. I just finished watching the anime Made in Abyss and that whole show gave me a PS2 era JRPG anime vibe and had me itching to play one. I've played most of the "big" obvious titles, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Y's Tales of, .hack, Dark Could, etc.

Anyone have any lesser known recommendations?

I'm looking for some more obtuse (but still worth playing) JRPG's from the PS1 and PS2 era. I just finished watching the anime Made in Abyss and that whole show gave me a PS2 era JRPG anime vibe and had me itching to play one. I've played most of the "big" obvious titles, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Y's Tales of, .hack, Dark Could, etc.

Okage?

Heilige_Kip

Neo Member
Im playing through Final Fantasy X-2 right now. This game is so much more fun than I thought it would be. Love it how Yuna has more depth than it seems. She is more than just a singer/dancer.

Playing Dragon's Dogma now. Man, playing the game after Ys VIII is rough. No slight against DD by any mean, Ys was just that good.

Started getting into it now after the water god temple.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Playing Dragon's Dogma now. Man, playing the game after Ys VIII is rough. No slight against DD by any mean, Ys was just that good.

Started getting into it now after the water god temple.

Hrmmm.....I just finished all three campaigns of Ys Origin(fine but not great), and was a bit turned off by the Ys VIII demo. Now I am intrigued to give it a real chance.

Taruranto

I dunno. Shadow Hearts?

Radiata Stories maybe? Try the Growlanser series, especially 4.

Opa-Pa

Digimon World for the PS1 :p

Shifty1897

Tri-Ace's PS2 stuff is pretty great:
Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean: TTEOT, Radiata Stories.

Currently playing Treasure of the Rudras. Like the fact that you can jump between the 3 characters at any time, I'm trying to keep everyone on the same day so it feels more like a Game of Thrones style of cutting between characters. The bosses always seem so overleveled that they require a lot of grinding, though.

Zutrax

Damn, I forgot about this game, it's a good Halloween pick. Might go for it.

I dunno. Shadow Hearts?

Radiata Stories maybe? Try the Growlanser series, especially 4.

Really liking the look of all these, only one I haven't heard of is Growlanser, I'll check into all of them, thanks!

Digimon World for the PS1 :p

Already played it a few times through, but I like your style.

Tri-Ace's PS2 stuff is pretty great:
Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean: TTEOT, Radiata Stories.

Currently playing Treasure of the Rudras. Like the fact that you can jump between the 3 characters at any time, I'm trying to keep everyone on the same day so it feels more like a Game of Thrones style of cutting between characters. The bosses always seem so overleveled that they require a lot of grinding, though.

I really enjoyed Star Ocean: TTEOT, do I need to play Valkyrie Profile 1 for the second one? I always liked the look of that franchise. Getting multiple recommendations for Radiata Stories, I think that's the one I'll go for. Thanks!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

It's highly regarded on here, but obtuse is a great quantifier for it... BOF Dragon Quarter. Unique battle system, oppressive atmosphere, lots of replay value, and some cool ideas like the SOL system and the possibility for mid-game restarts where you can keep some of your skills and stats.

I think I know what answer I will get but...

Trying to decide between two Vita titles at the moment. Ar no Surge or Trails in Cold Steel. I Never beat Trails in the Sky (though I own it) and supposedly? these titles are all linked or something. Where as Ar no Surge would be a one off.

should I just go for Trails? or back burner it for a bit more.

Fou-Lu

Normally I play one or two RPGs at a time and just stick with them, but in the past two weeks I have started playing the original Shin Megami Tensei (ten hours), Tales of the Abyss (four hours), Crisis Core (an hour), Valkyrie Profile (an hour), and Dark Souls 2 (two hours). I also played maybe ten minutes each of Contact, Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, Infinite Space, Dragon Quest III, Suikoden III, and Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter. All while continuing to play Mario+Rabbids for another six or seven hours. For some reason nothing is really hooking me since beating Baten Kaitos Origins.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm near the ending for Suikoden 2 now and my what a journey.

I usually dislike the "choosen one" trope and this was also strikingly close to FFT main theme but I find the execution to be well done. Translation could helps with a FFT war of the lion esque boost though.

Suikoden 2 is what I would like to go back time and give to the 9 years old me to play whereas FFT is the ideal follow up when I'm 10+.

So I just finished the part in Tales of Vesperia where
You beat alexie and he unleashes the audiophagos and that ialwaysknewshewasacunt Sodia stabs MC and long haired dante guy rescues him and takes back his sword.

How much longer do you gander I have left of the game? I always dislike these 'they act like it's the final battle but you know it's not the final battle and see it wasn't' stuff in games and that's where a lot of JRPGs lose me.

Szadek

Started Tales of Berseria, but I'm still at the very beginning. I skipped the last game in the series.
I think I need some more time with the battle system, because there a ferw thing I don't fully understand yet.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
All done with .hack//G.U. Vol.2. The last 5-7 hours of the post-game was pretty soul crushing! With that said the games as whole was waaaaaaay better then Vol.1's black hole of badness.

Now naturally with that outta the way... Vol.3 has been started!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
All done with .hack//G.U. Vol.2. The last 5-7 hours of the post-game was pretty soul crushing! With that said the games as whole was waaaaaaay better then Vol.1's black hole of badness.

Now naturally with that outta the way... Vol.3 has been started!

You seem to really hate .hack//G.U. Are you still planing to buy Last Recode? If so why!!?

theofficefan99

So I bought Suikoden III like 2 years ago and got two hours in but decided to stop until I buy the first two games. Haven't gotten around to it yet so I just decided, if anything, I'll play those later.

I had to fight back falling asleep. The game is charming but dear lord the gameplay is dreadful.

Fou-Lu

Getting pretty far in Tales of the Abyss now and I have decided the hate people have for the cast is... Odd at best, completely unfounded at worst. I think they may be the most developed cast in a Tales game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
You seem to really hate .hack//G.U. Are you still planing to buy Last Recode? If so why!!?
Its not hate its just that they're nowhere as near as good as their predecessors or successors. There are alot of really enjoyable things about the G.U. games - but they suffer from immense padding.

Like they doubled or maybe even tripled the named character count over IMOQ and for what end? So many of them are one-note or one-offs. Its claim to fame is being more a story about characters instead of a mystery, but when you expect characters to get development especially main ones and they... don't... then what even is it all about? Lets just ignore the very base of the story being left completely unexplain an move onto important matters.

The gameplay! Ya know I spent over 40 minutes the other day trying to get 2 accessories? See... unlike in Vol.1, Vol.2 has an order to Guild Shop appearances but to cycle through them you can use the old login/logout trick ya did in Vol.1. Nopenopes. You gotta go to an area and then warp back to town to progress through the cycle. btw ontop of the 5 guilds from the first game, this second one piles 5 more onto the list. Now what part of this mess did they retain from Vol.1? The fact that these shops appear 1 at a time. An the real killer: the shops may simply not have what you're looking for in stock. Which means cycling through the whole list over and over until luck/rng lands on your side!

Now thats just 1 example of "wtf were they thinking" game design. 1 of many! Sure ya don't gotta 100% the game, its not necessary to unlock every bonus ever. You can end your self-inflicted torment at any time. Doesn't change the fact that they goofed big time!

An yeah I'm totally getting *and* playing Last Recode next month! Why? To add yet another .hack thing to my collection! And to see the changes made first hand to compare them more directly with the PS2 originals! And for Vol.4 however that may turnout!

Zenner

Bought Stranger of Sword City a few months back on Xbox One; finally started it this week.

It's one heck of a clunky game. I love the dungeon-crawler aspect of it, though. I used to play a lot of Wizardry, so it's hitting those buttons, at least.

Love:
Dungeon Crawling
Eventual permadeath

Hate:
No documentation of classes
No documentation of pretty much anything
Static hiding spots to camp for gear

I really want to like it, but we'll see.

Rival

Gold Member
Right now I’m playing FF12 Zodiac Age. Absolutely love this game and can’t believe I never played the ps2 version back in the day. About 40 hours into it. Up next is Persona 5.

jdstorm

Banned
bought The Last Story this week. Started it but right now but cant stand the controls with only Wiimote/nunchuck. Probably going to pause it and start again when i get around to setting up a Dolphin build.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its not hate its just that they're nowhere as near as good as their predecessors or successors. There are alot of really enjoyable things about the G.U. games - but they suffer from immense padding.

Like they doubled or maybe even tripled the named character count over IMOQ and for what end? So many of them are one-note or one-offs. Its claim to fame is being more a story about characters instead of a mystery, but when you expect characters to get development especially main ones and they... don't... then what even is it all about? Lets just ignore the very base of the story being left completely unexplain an move onto important matters.

The gameplay! Ya know I spent over 40 minutes the other day trying to get 2 accessories? See... unlike in Vol.1, Vol.2 has an order to Guild Shop appearances but to cycle through them you can use the old login/logout trick ya did in Vol.1. Nopenopes. You gotta go to an area and then warp back to town to progress through the cycle. btw ontop of the 5 guilds from the first game, this second one piles 5 more onto the list. Now what part of this mess did they retain from Vol.1? The fact that these shops appear 1 at a time. An the real killer: the shops may simply not have what you're looking for in stock. Which means cycling through the whole list over and over until luck/rng lands on your side!

Now thats just 1 example of "wtf were they thinking" game design. 1 of many! Sure ya don't gotta 100% the game, its not necessary to unlock every bonus ever. You can end your self-inflicted torment at any time. Doesn't change the fact that they goofed big time!

An yeah I'm totally getting *and* playing Last Recode next month! Why? To add yet another .hack thing to my collection! And to see the changes made first hand to compare them more directly with the PS2 originals! And for Vol.4 however that may turnout!

Oh okay. I also agree about G.U.'s padding and very hand holding issues. But despite the issues I really enjoyed the G.U.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh okay. I also agree about G.U.'s padding and very hand holding issues. But despite the issues I really enjoyed the G.U.
I wanted to enjoy it lots more but holy heck x.x Doesn't help that Vol.1 is SO bad an sadly its legacy of "do *thing* 50 times" carried on. Luckily its way uphill after that despite it all!

Weapons feel more responsive, the bulk of your party members are virtually always available, you now have options to speedup character movement, and so many more good changes for the better! Just gotta get over that initial hurdle of badness!

Bitanator

Getting pretty far in Tales of the Abyss now and I have decided the hate people have for the cast is... Odd at best, completely unfounded at worst. I think they may be the most developed cast in a Tales game.

Jade is one of my favorite jrpg characters, I understand some of the loathing for Luke but I never mindid his character throughout.

kromeo

It's largely based on the way they all turn on Luke after the big event, despite the fact they were all going along with it as well up until that point. I think they're fine personally, the hate for Anise in particular seems overblown

Vargavinter

Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii, I got the CE on the release but only played it for a 9 hours or so grinding for fun. But now I'm going back to experience it before XBC 2 gets released.
Xenoblade-Chronicles-3D.jpg

Coming back to Final Fantasy VIs second half after a week of pausing has me going "what was I supposed to do again?". Still, I like how it opened up after the 'twist'.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remaster: My opinion from back in the day hasn't changed - back then I stopped the game and didn't really come back to it. I've played way further now, but I still think it's only "okay". Bowser's Inside Story remains the only standout title of this series.

Top Bottom