• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Thud

Finished Ys VIII on Nightmare. Despite the poor localization one of my favorite games this year.

Gonna platinum it.

X2X0

Finished Baten Kaitos Origins a week ago. It left me with a lot of emotions. Such a great game! and it's really amazing how they manged to make the first Baten Kaitos even more better!

The plot made a lot of sense at the end and that Malpercio twist, I did not see it coming! it was a really awesome moment :)

But honestly though I really wished that the story went with a different direction than it did
and made Sagi to be really Marno. Like the mother somehow was from a tribe that had god's blood's in it or something and manged to save a soul from the piece of Malpercio
that resided in the island she lived on and and that soul somehow went into her and she gave birth to Sagi or something.
It's just a wishful thinking of me, but really, the story had so much potential. and I really wished they focused more on the past events and made Wiseman the main villain and made us going after him in the present and the past.
That would have been really awesome.

Another thing, the fact that the past turned out to be just memories and not a time travel was really disappointing :(
Not to mention they confused me a bit with Guillo's origins. Early on the game, on Naos a guy sitting on a box will tell you that Wiseman is making a puppet that is warped with silk garment made from the Sandfeeder to make it immune to magic! one would immediately think that Guillo was made by Wiseman!
I don't knew if that was mistake on their behalf or they are just giving us false information on purpose.

Oh! and yeah, Melodia turning out to be Sagi and Melly's daughter was a SHOCKER!
Anyway, overall they gave me what I wanted the most when I first played the game, and that is seeing Kalas being born at the end :)

Intersting find: "Baten Kaitos" are actually Arabic words that means "Belly of The Whale" that comes from
the Kaitos(whale) Constellation (or Cetus Constellation in latin). And "Baten" means belly.
cetus-constellation.jpg

marcincz

Finished FFXIII-2 few days ago, but it wasn't as good as XIII. To be honest one of the weakest jrpg I've ever beaten.

Currently I have a little break from jrpgs, but I am going to play FFXII, Chrono Trigger or Persona 4 Golden soon.

Neo-Ryudo

Just finished .Hack//Quarantine whilst waiting for the G.U Last recode release, not sure what to play next.. is either a repeat of LoD, FFIX or finally starting Nier Auto

Finished FFXIII-2 few days ago, but it wasn't as good as XIII. To be honest one of the weakest jrpg I've ever beaten.

Agreed! I loved XIII and have played through a couple of times. XIII-2 just didn't grab me in the same way. There was far less depth and connection with the characters. I'll admit I pretty much gave up at the final series of boss battles. Just one after another with no way to save. Is it worth going back and tying that off or should I just watch a Youtube vid of the end cutscenes and call it good? I wasn't enjoying it.

That lack of closure on XIII-2 is what's kept me from taking the shrink wrap off Final Fantasy XIII-3.

Zutrax

How is Ys VIII? I haven't played a good JRPG in quite some time, and I have never touched the Ys series either. I hear this one is a good entry point.

I just want to know what I'm in for.

Pepboy

How is Ys VIII? I haven't played a good JRPG in quite some time, and I have never touched the Ys series either. I hear this one is a good entry point.

I just want to know what I'm in for.

Fanbase was pretty upset at the localization:

https://kotaku.com/nis-america-is-redoing-ys-viiis-shoddy-localization-1819332350

But it's being redone so if you give it a month or two you will probably get a better experience (maybe at a cheaper price).

In the meantime, I'd recommend Dragon Quest 8 on 3DS. I'm just wrapping it up and it's a great little game -- mostly improved over the PS2 version with 2x battle speed and extra content.

Zutrax

Fanbase was pretty upset at the localization:

https://kotaku.com/nis-america-is-redoing-ys-viiis-shoddy-localization-1819332350

But it's being redone so if you give it a month or two you will probably get a better experience (maybe at a cheaper price).

In the meantime, I'd recommend Dragon Quest 8 on 3DS. I'm just wrapping it up and it's a great little game -- mostly improved over the PS2 version with 2x battle speed and extra content.

Thanks for the heads up! I already bought the game, but it's very good to know I can wait and have a better experience later.

PaulBizkit

Does Demon's Souls count as a JRPG? well, it's more of an action game with stats.

If it's not that, then I can happily say that I finish God Eater Burst's story mode last week. FINALLY, after so many years (played it for months in 2011, then stopped using the psp and revived it last year, been playing ever since... and the save file was never re-started).

NandoGip

MS Saga on PS2
Extremely mediocre JRPG Gundam game with a cool grid-based equipment system.

-The character designs are atrocious

Yeah, typical JRPG nonsensical designs, but what makes it worse is that everyone else in the game wears normal clothes lol...

-Story is non-existent
Mysterious apocalypse happened, there is now a big bad organization trying to conquer what's left of the world.
The loli character has a secret power, and the cool guy team mate is really the big baddy... its so fucking in your face from the first second of the game.

-Gameplay is just "OK"
Outside of battle, it's very typical. World map you can wander around, fly around, teleport around. Towns, dungeons, NPC'S to chat, books, treasure chests, etc.

Battles:
3 mobiles suits active on the field but you're able to switch mid-battle to your reserves to play off of their speciaties. Characters have attack skills that they have to build up points in-battle to use, and also magic for healing/buffing/debuffing that uses a separate resource. Enemies come in very diverse builds, with TONS of variety, all based on mobile suits from the TV shows.

The one unique thing about the game is the grid system to equip melee weapons, guns, shields. Better suits have bigger grids and weapons take up space differently depending on the type. Weapon types are broken up into subsections under melee and guns, which allows you to be really creative in how you set up each character.

You can build up a mobile suit for melee, range, speed, or armor to play off the pilots stats/skills and then set up the weapons to play off of that. It's got decent depth, and is probably the only reason I continue to play the game.

Also, there are TONS of weapons and guns, parts for the suits, etc. Best part is that it's all visible. Unfortunately the graphics are very MEH even for it's time, but if you're a big Gundam fan, you'll take what you can get.

Overall, my appreciation for Gundam is just enough to make this game tolerable to play through.

Pepboy

MS Saga on PS2
Extremely mediocre JRPG Gundam game with a cool grid-based equipment system.

-The character designs are atrocious

Yeah, typical JRPG nonsensical designs, but what makes it worse is that everyone else in the game wears normal clothes lol...

-Story is non-existent
Mysterious apocalypse happened, there is now a big bad organization trying to conquer what's left of the world.
The loli character has a secret power, and the cool guy team mate is really the big baddy... its so fucking in your face from the first second of the game.

-Gameplay is just "OK"
Outside of battle, it's very typical. World map you can wander around, fly around, teleport around. Towns, dungeons, NPC'S to chat, books, treasure chests, etc.

Battles:
3 mobiles suits active on the field but you're able to switch mid-battle to your reserves to play off of their speciaties. Characters have attack skills that they have to build up points in-battle to use, and also magic for healing/buffing/debuffing that uses a separate resource. Enemies come in very diverse builds, with TONS of variety, all based on mobile suits from the TV shows.

The one unique thing about the game is the grid system to equip melee weapons, guns, shields. Better suits have bigger grids and weapons take up space differently depending on the type. Weapon types are broken up into subsections under melee and guns, which allows you to be really creative in how you set up each character.

You can build up a mobile suit for melee, range, speed, or armor to play off the pilots stats/skills and then set up the weapons to play off of that. It's got decent depth, and is probably the only reason I continue to play the game.

Also, there are TONS of weapons and guns, parts for the suits, etc. Best part is that it's all visible. Unfortunately the graphics are very MEH even for it's time, but if you're a big Gundam fan, you'll take what you can get.

Overall, my appreciation for Gundam is just enough to make this game tolerable to play through.

Nice summary! I had forgotten the puzzle equipment system, it was pretty fun.

Personally I really enjoyed MS Saga for the 5-7 hours I played. I love old Zaku designs and enjoyed building them and leveling up. The story made little sense but I had a blast. I should get back to it sometime...

marcincz

Almost one year without new post in jrpg thread? Strange.
Currently I am playing, for the first time, in Chrono Trigger on NDS.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dragon Quest XI and Valkyria Chronicles 4 and I'm loving both. These two games and Octopath made 2018 great year for turn based JRPG lover like me.

ROMhack

Oh cool. I was going to start a thread like this the other day but never got around to it (and now I don't have to).

I'm playing Xenogears at the moment. I'm from the UK so I never got a chance to experience as a kid, although that doesn't matter much anyway as I didn't start getting into JRPGs until about a year ago.

I'm towards the end of Noturne where Fei is locked in an interment camp for criminal deviants but frees himself by battling robots in what I expect will stay the most awkward part of the game mechanically. Citan is becoming increasingly untrustworthy and Elly has finally turned against the Gebler empire. So far, it's been a lot of foreshadowing but I feel like the ball is now rolling.

Obviously I've heard a lot about the game so I expected it to take a bit of time to get going. S'all cool. I'll probably write some quick thoughts here when I'm done.

i'm thinking of getting FF XII for PS4 and jamming with remote play.

currently doing ff XV but i cringe whenever lunafreya is onscreen. love story seems sappy.

The Strifer

Neo Member
Was playing through DQ11 and got really far in a couple of days with over 40 hours, but then something wanted me to go back to Persona 5. Previously only got up to the second big dungeon then stopped, now going back to it and loving it, game is super long, about 90 hours in and I'm only just over half way done... I almost just want to stop so I can play something else haha. Got Valkyria 4, Spiderman and the new Tomb Raider coming up after this and probably some other stuff sittin' in the backlog. Gonna be a long end of year... at least I know other games won't take nearly as long as Persona 5 lol.

isual

OH HO HO HO. i'm backkkkkkkkkkk after 4 years.

anyways, as of right now i just platinumed 'labyrinth of refrain' coven of dusk.

i got a copy of 7th dragon for 3ds - its hard, but i feel its a hidden gem.

on console, i'm playing quite a bit of metal max xeno; i stopped part of DQ11 even though i feel that its more substantial than 9's post game.

@nandogrip, i played that game in the mid 00's, and it was pretty solid.

Last edited:

Montblanc

Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light. As a huge Dragon Quest fan, I love this strange FF + DQ hybrid. I even like the difficulty.

I'm glad I gave it a chance. So far it's better and more fun than any Final Fantasy post XII.

Vorg

Banned
Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light. As a huge Dragon Quest fan, I love this strange FF + DQ hybrid. I even like the difficulty.

I'm glad I gave it a chance. So far it's better and more fun than any Final Fantasy post XII.

4 Heroes of Light looks beautiful. Love the art style. It's a shame the combat system doesn't allow you to pick targets iirc. Haven't played it in a while but maybe I'll pick it up again sometime.

Anyway, currently playing Kingdom Hearts birth by sleep. Great game.

marcincz

Shifty1897

I bought Star Ocean First Departure R on Switch day one and have been going through that as time allows. Very much enjoying it, as it scratches the old PS1 era JRPG itch. The plan is to knock it out before Christmas and then pick up something else on sale.

Daymos

I fell asleep playing pokemon sword yesterday. Looks good, sounds good, lots of fun during story events, and totally boring when you're catching and leveling up pokemon. Trying to catch an interesting pokemon and dying or killing it for 30 mins gets kinda dull. It's an odd game, its like if I straight play it I'll hate it for being too easy, but if i try to min/max and go all crazy forming the perfect team it's difficult to get hooked due to the sheer repetition... vs something like fire emblem 3 houses where I lost myself for 100 hours building the perfect team of 12. Fire Emblem has plenty of repetition too but it felt like you were really going somewhere and your choices were extremely important (especially on hard mode where you cant repeat any battles forever).

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Have you played Bravely Default?

Danjin44

I'm kind of just waiting for Tokyo Mirage Session #FE and KHIII ReMIND DLC to come out.

edit: I guess most people consider Yakuza 0 as JRPG as well, so I'm currently playing that.

edit: I guess most people consider Yakuza 0 as JRPG as well, so I'm currently playing that.

One of the best games this generation by far. It's amazing to me how RGG studio can put up SO MANY great games at such short time. Western devs take like 5 years to churn out a single cinematic walking simulator, while based RGG studio puts up like 2 incredible games every year.

Danjin44

One of the best games this generation by far. It's amazing to me how RGG studio can put up SO MANY great games at such short time. Western devs take like 5 years to churn out a single cinematic walking simulator, while based RGG studio puts up like 2 incredible games every year.
My only experience with Yakuza was 3rd and 4th game on PS3 and Yakuza 0 soooo much better in terms of combat and I especially like that you switch different style during the battle.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ys: Oath in Felghana (PSP PSN via PSVita)
Oninaki - working on the plat (PS4)

Backlog:
Conception II (PSVita)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Bloodborne.

I've been doing it off and on for about a year. It never ends!

But I don't put whole days into it, so it lasts a while.

Top Bottom