• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of setting would you like to see in Final Fantasy XVI and why?

Shifty1897

What does the story have to do with zippers

Actually the story would be better if it went full meta. You play as a moody teenage zipper in a mercenary force caught up in a larger war against a shadowy organization called B.U.T.T.O.N.S. ran by an androgynous human who wants to use the power of the crystals to revert fashion to the 1930's.

You and your friends travel the world to gather the crystals to summon Ru Paul and take fashion back.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Actually the story would be better if it went full meta. You play as a moody teenage zipper in a mercenary force caught up in a larger war against a shadowy organization called B.U.T.T.O.N.S. ran by an androgynous human who wants to use the power of the crystals to revert fashion to the 1930's.

You and your friends travel the world to gather the crystals to summon Ru Paul and take fashion back.
Too similar to FF7.

D.Final

Banned
I think the next Final Fantasy XVI, which I'm sure has been in development for at least a few years at today, should mixed steampunk themes with modern themes.
I love both games like Final Fantasy XV, and also games like Final Fantasy VI and FFIX. And for this reason I think this could be an interesting way of being able to make the theme of a new Final Fantasy. Trying to combine the new Final Fantasy with the themes of the old Final Fantasy. And trying to mix a good dose of medieval environments with some futuristic and more modern elements.
(For example, regions of the world from the Middle Ages that use large carriages pulled by chocobo and giant salamanders, together with modern regions of the world, with locomotion machines, cars, seaplanes, trains etc ... And to all this adding also modern elements of nowadays, such as smartphones, drones [but more cool than real ones] tanks, mech monsters, three-headed dragons, Hydra, Cerberus, etc. ..)
Finding the right combination of these elements which, if properly mixed, can give life to a new Final Fantasy that recalls the classics very closely (FF V and VI) but which also manages to be more modern and contemporary, blending with elements of the modern Final Fantasy (FF XV and XIV).
And also creating a new battle system, action, dynamic, but also strategic. By combining a fluid action with actions that can be imparted in real time, parrying and dodging shots, changing jobs and using your skills wisely and thoughtfully. But with an adequate threshold of difficulty and not disproportionate or punitive even for the main plot, but manages to give challenges especially for the secondary missions.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I'm partial to worlds like FFVI's or IX's, but I'm cool with almost any setting so long as there are a lot of diverse landscapes and they're sprawling 3D environments that incentivize exploration, not the usual narrow corridors (FFXIII) or cordoned off areas (FFXV). Underwater areas are a must. Basically something along the lines of Final Fantasy XI meets Breath of the Wild with a whole lot more NPCs, friendly and enemy both, scattered about.

I'm okay with whatever direction they might decide to take as long as it's full of original, interesting locations. Shit on XIII all you want but it had an interesting world with fascinating environments (to look at, I know the game is a corridor simulator so no need to bring this up).

The only kind of setting I'd hate to see is generic medieval stuff. I think you can take "medieval" to some pretty interesting places like in IX. Just don't give me the "green plains, castle, small village" kind of setting. Looking at you, DQVIII.

Labadal

Do whatever setting you like, just give me fun gameplay. Neither XIII or XV had that in my opinion.

I don't think that it will be a medieval or old time setting, at least. We have Bravely and Octopath series for that.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Fantasy type characters in a Science Fiction setting? Just make a Star Ocean game branded as an FF. That way it'll actually be good.

I seriously am just tired of humans though, we need like a robot or an animal or something as a party member. FF X was the last one that did it and he was only like 50% furry.

Tiamat2san

I’d go back in time a little.
A mix between industrial gritty look and neon modern world.
London in the Victorian era with neon flashy Colors to contrast.
Maybe like Gotham in Tim burton’s batman returns.

Gargus

Banned
Post apocalyptic setting. I want a dark and mean spirited final fantasy. They are always so flighty and flippint and full of overexposed hope and joy.

Or they are living in a large city on a moon that orbits their destroyed home planet and the game takes place on both places.

Anything, anything other than the semi realistic setting of 15 that was fucking boring everywhere you want, and please no more fucking frat boys driving around with skins that make them look like over stylized Japanese boys.

Pretty much just dont do any setting like they have in the past 10 or 15 years and it might interest me. Course I doubt I'd buy it anyway, 15 was the final nail for me.

Kumomeme

It is going to be hard... to top Emet as villian.
i would'nt ask much...proper villain is enough with proper backstory and motive..that is what lacking from ffxiii, xv ( not included dlc) and even stormblood..wish Zenos had proper back story and motive ..he currently not very interesting

D.Final

Banned
i would'nt ask much...proper villain is enough with proper backstory and motive..that is what lacking from ffxiii, xv ( not included dlc) and even stormblood..wish Zenos had proper back story and motive ..he currently not very interesting

I've found Ardyn Izunia (Final Fantasy XV) as a great villain, actually one of my favorite and one of the best of the saga.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I've found Ardyn Izunia (Final Fantasy XV) as a great villain, actually one of my favorite and one of the best of the saga.
the problem with him, is, the game didnt fleshed him out properly in the main game..instead, they put it in dlc...if somehow in alternate reality where the dlc never existed, then all we had of him is just hollow villain from main game

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
the problem with him, is, the game didnt fleshed him out properly in the main game..instead, they put it in dlc...if somehow in alternate reality where the dlc never existed, then all we had of him is just hollow villain from main game

I have not had such a problem. Even the base game of FFXV, without the description of the story of Episode Ardyn, manages to very well expose the charismatic character that is Ardyn Izunia.
Then, it is also obvious that the exposure and the description of the context of the character increase significantly with the in-depth analysis of Episode Ardyn, and the anime episode Episode Ardyn Prologue. Making it even better and more characterized as a villain.

Pallas

Take it to space and multiple worlds.

They haven't really done a sort of fantasy-ish space opera theme yet.

SquareEnix already did that with Star Ocean and we saw how that’s going.

I wouldn’t mind a story akin to something like Chrono Trigger that involved time traveling and exploring that world during different periods.

Last edited:

KingT731

SquareEnix already did that with Star Ocean and we saw how that’s going.

I wouldn’t mind a story akin to something like Chrono Trigger that involved time traveling and exploring that world during different periods.
That's not fair at all. Those games are made by Tri-Ace and don't have 1/4 the budget of a mainline FF. SO5 was also extremely short (maybe 25 hours for the main story) not to mention being developed as a PS3 game with the PS4 port and releasing in 2016.

But on topic..I would like to see something like FF9 but with some more modern elements.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I have not had such a problem. Even the base game of FFXV, without the description of the story of Episode Ardyn, manages to very well expose the charismatic character that is Ardyn Izunia.
Then, it is also obvious that the exposure and the description of the context of the character increase significantly with the in-depth analysis of Episode Ardyn, and the anime episode Episode Ardyn Prologue. Making it even better and more characterized as a villain.
nah..the base game done terrible with Ardyn...there reason people calling Emet-Selch is 'Ardyn done right'...and thats the problem with the game..the important content they put in another form like anime and cgi film rather than in game

D.Final

Banned
nah..the base game done terrible with Ardyn...there reason people calling Emet-Selch is 'Ardyn done right'...and thats the problem with the game..the important content they put in another form like anime and cgi film rather than in game

The base game of FFXV has done a great job with the presentation of the charismatic Ardyn.
That personally I found Ardyn as a much better villain than Emet....
But of course is a personal taste

KiteGr

The golden age of FF games on ps1 had radically different setting and art style in each game!

FF 7 had this cyberpunk setting and anime graphics.
FF 8 had this stylish futuristic setting and realistic graphics.
FF 9 had this medival steampunk setting and 90s Japanese cartoon graphics.
FF 10 had this island nations setting and "whatever they could do on the ps2 at that time" graphics.
FF12 was a star wars rip-off minus the stars, and that Amano art style.

FF13, it's sequels and FF15 had pretty much the same nonsensical futuristic setting and the same generic "Japanese cg" art style that FF14 and pretty much all ff modern FF spin-offs at the time had.

Perhaps they should change their game and not do something generic. If by one look without contex you can tell that "This must be another Final Fantasy game" then the series is going down hill.

Just saying!...

Kumomeme

The base game of FFXV has done a great job with the presentation of the charismatic Ardyn.
That personally I found Ardyn as a much better villain than Emet....
But of course is a personal taste
well if thats how you see things

but for my personal opinion, they done terrible job in base game XV

well different people see different things..no worries

Earlier in this thread I said a space opera type setting and I stand by that.

However I was thinking another wild idea could be a "dimension hopping" setting where the focus is primarily traveling to a plethora of different realms.

The Final Fantasy Legend games sort if do this.

Even more crazy would be a game that links the different FF worlds fron previous games. I doubt they'd do this however.

Top Bottom