• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What makes a community toxic?

jigglet

Banned
I used to think the same, mainly due to LoL, but having to mute each player separately in every single match (with pre- and post-match lobby being unable to mute anyway, where most of the toxicity actually happens) is tiresome after a while, and just keeps reminding you how garbage the community is. IMO the games should have it sorted out from the get-go in the options menu with Mute: none/all/all except party, like some games do, then ot os indeed problem solved because you just enter games and have an impression everyone is minding their own business as text/voice chats are completely empty.

I agree with this, but some games have a mute-always setting.

Funny thing is a lot of COD's launch without it, and require you to mute one by one, then a few months after they support universal mute. I don't know why they sometimes wait to roll it out.

Fredrik

Play single player games = toxic community proof.
Yeah, I played Uno once on 360 at a free weekend, people screamed and acted like total shitheads, over Uno, that was the last time I played online.

I also stumbled into the online part of No Man’s Sky when they added the nexus, people were running around moaning about the patch, glitches and framerates, completely breaking my immersion. Went into the menu and switched off all online parts and went back to the quiet, calm and peaceful space adventure I love ❤️

Armorian

Banned
White people.

422dd014ab5615c71ef58f05dfe58030aa50f14b.gifv

wzy

No community on planet Earth tolerates outsiders. No sub-culture welcomes imposters. That's been true since the beginning of time and it's almost analytical in the sense that what makes a culture a culture is a basic shared hostility to people who don't belong. In-group vs. out-group. People who complain about toxic communities are people who insinuate themselves into communities where they are not wanted and have trouble adjusting to the locals.

Last edited:

vewn

I've been thinking about this recently. I've heard people call COD and Rocket League toxic, but all I can think is: if you're too lazy to press the 3 buttons it takes to mute people, that's a YOU problem.

Who sits there playing a game for a year thinking: oh I could mute these kids, but 3 buttons? Fuck that, I'd rather continue to listen to their vile shit.

There are some games where muting isn't an option - Rainbow Six Siege for example. You need the comms and team work. So yes you could legitimately call this toxic at times.

There are games where the meta community is a huge part of the experience - participating in forums and off-game social media is an integral component of this. I can't think of too many examples but I imagine MMO's might fall into this category. And yes I could see these communities being toxic and having to put up with it.

But for games like COD and RL; how could anyone describe these as toxic? I remember playing COD for 5 years and then hearing someone call this toxic and I thought - what? How? When the game launches I go into the settings, turn voice chat off and for the next 12 months it's smooth sailing.
Here's how Rocket League toxicity works: play game and try your best, teammate might not like your playstyle and you get scored on, teammate either stops playing or starts scoring own goals and you can do nothing about it. If you are unlucky and they are extra salty they wont even let you forfeit the game and you have to sit there for 5 minutes and cant do anything, I even have my doubts if the report function works. There's more to toxicity than just voice chat.

Skelterz

From what I’ve heard freedom of thought and speech, Which in all fairness must make me extremely venomous.

TonyK

That has no logic. It's like to say: "people complain about that neighborhood because there is violence and robberies, but I don't get why they complain when you can simply not to go there". As if not going there would make the neighborhood a lovely place to live.

A community can be toxic, and if you must mute them then it's the confirmation of that.

lifa-cobex

Users who invest feeling into their opinion and take it personally when someone disagrees with them.

You are text on a screen and nothing more to me.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Kids really. Its the same as offline - Never notice those kids who randomly say Hi to you or just yell in quiet places?

That's them, except they are now online.

Just voice chat on off and you never hear anything of it anymore. I play games to relax, not to get called out by some 9 year old.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Toxic community would imply the community is generally full of humanoids full of hatred and disdain towards anything that moves that isn't themselves. Misery loves company.

Scotty W

Gold Member
social media twitter GIF

The only people hurt by words, IMO, are the weakest humans. A word is simply just a word, no harm or foul. Now make physical contact, thats a complete different situation. I have been called everything, fought, won some and lost some with no regrets, but thats me. You do you, thats a little thing called freedom.
It starts with words, then it takes away your words, then your freedoms, when you protest it calls you aggressor, and it culminates in genocide.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
COD is sheer numbers and it’s probably a bit unfair. There are so many people playing there bound to be some a holes but the majority are probably decent.. idk though because I don’t play online games lol.🤷‍♂️

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Took far too long to get the correct answer.

Didn't knew racism and Era hive mind self pitty were allowed on Gaf.

Its a blatantly obvious joke making fun of those types, Mike.

OT:
All communities can be considered inherently toxic as what each person considers "toxic" is subjective. Some take offense at jokes, some take offense at actions, some will take offense at folks screwing around and doing what they would like in an online game.

What makes a community "Truly" toxic is poor moderation. Poor Moderation can silence others for having different opinions, prevent people from explaining their view points, stop them from having fun in an online lobby - these are what I would consider truly toxic. The likes of Reddit, Era, games like modern WoW, etc - where light hearted in-jokes can be seen as bannable offenses. As having a different opinion can mean cancellation.

This is why I stick with close friends in closed communication channels for games and limited online discussion forums like GAF. I don't have to deal with poor moderation or overzealous, angry, and bitter children trying desperately to feel like they mean something by miswielding their control/power.

WizeVibez

Banned
There's a whole spectrum of toxicity. This forum, for instance is toxic in the anti-woke/basically racist fashion.

Steam forums from what I've seen, are the last place to go for any good conversation about games as any slight criticism on a specific game is usually met with fanboy rants and hatred, or any thread asking for tips on a challenging part of a game is filled with replies of get good, stop playing etc...

It's all internet anonymity. No reason to read too much into online toxicity as all of the worst cases you've seen are useless cowards IRL.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There's a whole spectrum of toxicity. This forum, for instance is toxic in the anti-woke/basically racist fashion.

Steam forums from what I've seen, are the last place to go for any good conversation about games as any slight criticism on a specific game is usually met with fanboy rants and hatred, or any thread asking for tips on a challenging part of a game is filled with replies of get good, stop playing etc...

It's all internet anonymity. No reason to read too much into online toxicity as all of the worst cases you've seen are useless cowards IRL.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

oagboghi2

There are many people in the world who's only mode is "antagonistic". It seeps out of every pore of their personality. These kinds of people seem to gravitate towards one another while actively rebuffing normal well-adjusted people. Even when they're a minority they are so loud, so vocal, their small number of voices can sound like a choir singing over all of the regular people just trying to have fun.

Every toxic community I have trafficked in was this way. In the case of LoL they were definitely the majority and fed off each other. In places like ResetERA, on the other hand, they're the minority - but the problem is their entire mod staff is that way so they get to set the tone, even though most of the posters are regular-ass Joes just trying to get gaming news or connect with a community for online gaming or whatever.
We’re defending resetera now?

their users support their bizarre moderation rules.

I used to think the same, mainly due to LoL, but having to mute each player separately in every single match (with pre- and post-match lobby being unable to mute anyway, where most of the toxicity actually happens) is tiresome after a while, and just keeps reminding you how garbage the community is. IMO the games should have it sorted out from the get-go in the options menu with Mute: none/all/all except party, like some games do, then ot os indeed problem solved because you just enter games and have an impression everyone is minding their own business as text/voice chats are completely empty.

Having an option like that removes the possibility of having fun online experiences.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It’s what happens when the weak get bullied in real life. They take retribution online, the only place they feel empowered.

cormack12

Gold Member
The internet creates a place where you have to type and commit to your thoughts. People dont like being wrong and a lot of these people are wrong but dont have the maturity to just say I'm wrong and shrug it off. People take being disproven personally or can't handle the embarassment of being wrong in a public arena.

Then it just escalates. The whole thing is driven by ego because every interaction happens in front a massive audience. Hence virtue signalling for likes/acceptance. That's at the root of it all. Wanting to be universally liked or correct.

Urban

I've been thinking about this recently. I've heard people call COD and Rocket League toxic, but all I can think is: if you're too lazy to press the 3 buttons it takes to mute people, that's a YOU problem.

Who sits there playing a game for a year thinking: oh I could mute these kids, but 3 buttons? Fuck that, I'd rather continue to listen to their vile shit.

There are some games where muting isn't an option - Rainbow Six Siege for example. You need the comms and team work. So yes you could legitimately call this toxic at times.

There are games where the meta community is a huge part of the experience - participating in forums and off-game social media is an integral component of this. I can't think of too many examples but I imagine MMO's might fall into this category. And yes I could see these communities being toxic and having to put up with it.

But for games like COD and RL; how could anyone describe these as toxic? I remember playing COD for 5 years and then hearing someone call this toxic and I thought - what? How? When the game launches I go into the settings, turn voice chat off and for the next 12 months it's smooth sailing.
Russians when it comes to Dota.

Life

When you play online and expect your opponents/teammates to behave like decent human beings - but they do the complete opposite - that's toxicity. In other words, it's everywhere - and it would even be the same in real life environments, if people could hide their identities like they do online.

Top Bottom