• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What makes a community toxic?

It's "those kind of people" obviously. Everything would be better if it wasn't for "them" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You all know "who" right? Of course you do...

Tropic-Thunder-You-People-meme-gif.gif

MetalRain

I recently got into playing Insurgency: Sandstorm, its great game, but oh boy that voice chat is sometimes filled with terrible stuff, I've been playing for years with consoles and PC, but I think it has been less of an issue recently in other games I've been playing like CoD: MW or Arma 3. I think use of voice chat has diminished quite a bit from Xbox360 times.

Not sure if people that like to shout at voice chat gravitate together or do more calm people just leave communities that feel hostile. Could be also choice of game, maybe more competitive and younger audiences are more likely to participate in not so friendly banter.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
There's a whole spectrum of toxicity. This forum, for instance is toxic in the anti-woke/basically racist fashion.

Steam forums from what I've seen, are the last place to go for any good conversation about games as any slight criticism on a specific game is usually met with fanboy rants and hatred, or any thread asking for tips on a challenging part of a game is filled with replies of get good, stop playing etc...

It's all internet anonymity. No reason to read too much into online toxicity as all of the worst cases you've seen are useless cowards IRL.
I may not agree with this post but it shouldn't have gotten him banned IMO.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is supposed to be post #1
toxic GIF

Meanwhile under your own power you’re supposed to mute and ignore people. Good communities need 1st downs, home runs for any chance at being less toxic.

dcmk7

Banned
I guess it would be some people who have somehow, through either obsession or depression, have become emotionally invested in its success.

And therefore will take any criticism, bad review or negative press very personally.

I think it is multifacete why a community can be toxic. And it kinda varies from game to game.

But my recent experiences with a toxic community is Apex Legends. My days - I go through stages of loving it but any desire I want to play is ruined by the community. It has made me realise that I am just not convinced a three person team is the way to go for solo queuing. There is just not enough separation between you and your team mates.

You get matched up with a pre-made duo who won’t even bother to listen to your call outs or directions. They are playing duos in trios essentially. What’s even more hilarious is you’ll save their friend and then maybe get downed trying, but that’s it; they’re out of there! And don’t even get me started on the play style. There are so many different characters and the potential for abundance of plays, but it is always thirst after thirst. This is probably why they have had to buff rampart, because 9 times out of 10 your team will not play defensively.

Apex legends is a great example of how it kinda creates a toxic community through its own design and ranking systems, but without a doubt I think it is one of the worst games to solo queue in.

On a happier note though, this is why I am so psyched for Battlefront 2042. Any toxicity is usually diluted by the sheer volume of player and you can usually have a really enjoyable game.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Rocket League is the definition of a toxic community. I don’t know how anyone could have even doubted that for a second

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
If words and opinions from some random people on the interwebs hurt, you should probably unplug and hide under your bed, because you are clearly not ready to live in the real world where people are fake and lie straight to your face.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Most communities would honestly be much better off if teammates didn’t quit on your team or turn on you mid-game during highly competitive games. It’s all just a game, but the fun factor drops considerably when you get teammates that don’t even want to try to win. Nobody wants to lose in Rocket League, but also nobody wants to finish games and give themselves and their team a real chance like 60% of the time lmao. So many people that give up on themselves and their squad. Early as fuck too. Makes zero sense. Doesn’t help that most developers across the board are either horrible or indifferent when it comes to offering incentives that would make a player want to participate in a full match every single game possible
If words and opinions from some random people on the interwebs hurt, you should probably unplug and hide under your bed, because you are clearly not ready to live in the real world where people are fake and lie straight to your face.
Spoken like a true primadona edgelord but yea, mental fortitude is vital

Velius

Banned
One's inability to recognize and acknowledge when they're wrong.

Also everyone is an asshole on the internet

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Being loud.

Even if what you say is innocent and normal, to me anyone on mic being super loud yelling or playing music is toxic enough for me. And for forums (text), anyone being super loud and bossy acting like King Shit.

I dont really care about people jabbing each other with jokes or saying dumb shit trolling each other, but when the guy is somehow at 3x the volume of everyone else forget it.

One time long time ago on COD met some random to friend up with. Seemed like a good match as we both had good stats. So now were on the same team and can hear each other for the first time. This guy is screaming every second like he's drugged up or some shit. After a couple matches me and some other party guys who we all added him deleted him from our friends list.

As a gods send, thank god for online mute function.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Overwatch and Dota 2 (loved both) were the most toxic games I've ever played.

Splinter Cell Spies vs Mercs was the least toxic game I've ever played. Fortnite is not particularly toxic either.

It's a combination of # of players on a team (more players give douches more room to be douches) and stakes. People really don't want to invest time into a game when a weaker player can **** up the outcome of a match.

Quitters, griefers, racists, trolls, wanna-be pros/streamers etc. I find their in game actions far worse than their chatter. Game ruining these days for online multiplayer games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There is something to it, but there is also something missing, otherwise everyone would be like that.
Maybe it’s some form of latent douchebaggery.
It's not latent, it's active douchebaggery. The way a person behaves when nobody knows who they are is their true self. Whatever toxic means, if someone is toxic in an online community they are a toxic person. The reason they act differently when someone knows their name is because they know there are real world consequences to being a douchebag.

Writing aggressive articles and expect something good in return , basically they don't weigh what they say , mostly personal or opinionated but the wording makes it factual.

Not sure how it is now but I used to be into NRS fighters for a while. I went on TestYourMight.com a lot around the time MK9 and Injustice were out. Pretty much every discussion was about how some character needed nerfs or some character needed buffs. There was barely any discussion about learning matchups as it was mostly just people being entitled thinking their favorite character shouldn’t be nerfed, etc. I mean you’ll find people like that in any fighting game community but it seemed like the majority when it came to NRS games.

A lot of the “pro” players who posted on there were super pompous and thought they were the be all end all when it came to deciding buffs/nerfs. I remember one time I was annoyed because the second wave of DLC characters for Injustice had no release date/plans for the WiiU version. I had a 360 and WiiU at the time but got it on WiiU because it actually ran better on it. Plus WB said the WiiU version would get all the same content as the others. The first 4 characters did come out on WiiU, so I bought those (which there wasn’t even a season pass option for), but then WB ended up canceling the rest on WiiU, so I ended being really mad because I couldn’t get the complete game without buying it again on 360.

Before I knew it was cancelled, I went to TYM and just asked if anyone knew if the DLC was coming out on the WiiU. All the responses were just people telling me I shouldn’t have bought the WiiU version and I was stupid, etc. Other people told me I should just suck it up and buy the whole game again on 360, and when I said I shouldn’t have to since I bought it already, they called me entitled and said I should support NRS by buying it again.

Not sure what criteria I would pinpoint as being toxic exactly, but that whole community sucked ass, and probably still does.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not sure how it is now but I used to be into NRS fighters for a while. I went on TestYourMight.com a lot around the time MK9 and Injustice were out. Pretty much every discussion was about how some character needed nerfs or some character needed buffs. There was barely any discussion about learning matchups as it was mostly just people being entitled thinking their favorite character shouldn’t be nerfed, etc. I mean you’ll find people like that in any fighting game community but it seemed like the majority when it came to NRS games.

A lot of the “pro” players who posted on there were super pompous and thought they were the be all end all when it came to deciding buffs/nerfs. I remember one time I was annoyed because the second wave of DLC characters for Injustice had no release date/plans for the WiiU version. I had a 360 and WiiU at the time but got it on WiiU because it actually ran better on it. Plus WB said the WiiU version would get all the same content as the others. The first 4 characters did come out on WiiU, so I bought those (which there wasn’t even a season pass option for), but then WB ended up canceling the rest on WiiU, so I ended being really mad because I couldn’t get the complete game without buying it again on 360.

Before I knew it was cancelled, I went to TYM and just asked if anyone knew if the DLC was coming out on the WiiU. All the responses were just people telling me I shouldn’t have bought the WiiU version and I was stupid, etc. Other people told me I should just suck it up and buy the whole game again on 360, and when I said I shouldn’t have to since I bought it already, they called me entitled and said I should support NRS by buying it again.

Not sure what criteria I would pinpoint as being toxic exactly, but that whole community sucked ass, and probably still does.
That's the old mantra of "I'm a veteran whose lived on this board for years, so listen to me on message boards". Been like that since the first message board was created.

I remember old Yahoo Finance stock boards during the dot com craze and many tech stock boards there were crazy nut with cussing and arguing. Some newbie guy asks about news or posts an article or is a supporter or hater of that company gets drilled by whomever has an anti-agenda as a newb.

All the while, the veteran poster's daily posts are name calling and making alternate alias profiles.

Last edited:
Lack of empathy, anonymity, a sense of entitlement and not having any other interests in life can make people go way over their heads. It's a recipe for disaster

I'm just glad I don't find myself among any fanbase simply because I don't like anything

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It would be interesting to hear what the most toxic (PvP) games people have played and what the least toxic (PvP) games they've played are.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Anonymity is what causes shit behavior of immature children (regardless of age if you act this way you are a child) and it isn't going to change. People act this way on line for attention and they know with anonymity they can say whatever vile shit they want whether they believe it or not and they will get the attention they seek. If you want trolls to die DON"T FEED THEM THE ATTENTION THEY CRAVE! The best thing for you too do is when these assholes creep up is to mute, report & ignore them. Also when you find decent people to play with friend them and create good gaming relationships so that you can always find people to play with in private parties and that way the trolls cant get to you, I always thought PS Home was good for this, I met up with some good people back in the day playing Resistance and Warhawk in Home and it was a great way to party up before entering the game and avoiding assholes. And if you cant find players on your platform of choice come here and ask for some people to play with. this is a massive community here and your bound to find some good people to party up with.

Valorant a guy out of round 1 and 2 was being an asshole on comms to everyone. Our omen speaks up for herself and he goes full sexist. I try to defend her because her call for flash etc was the right play, and get called a simp and more.

Muted and reported. However, majority of games of Valorant I have to mute and report. Most are under 18 kids.

Valorant is diarrhea for a community.
If I'm not playing a game with friends, I mute every single time now, no matter what I'm playing. People can moan all they want that I'm not on voice chat, I don't care. Why should I put up with all the moaning and bullshit.

Top Bottom