• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What media do you consume?

I though this could be a great idea for a thread after reading the political leanings thread!

It will be great to see what kind of media, youtube, news etc we all go to/are entertained by.

Social media - No facebook or twitter for me, only instagram/ I just don't have it in me to read and see all the crap that gets generated there. Instagram is easy to use and catch up on what friends are doing. Whatsapp for communication/sharing

Youtube - Stef Sanjati, Blair White, Someblackguy, Philip DeFranco, Joe Rogan and a few different Star wars themed channels (character bios etc)

News - pretty much just BBC and Bloomberg TV .

What about the rest of you?

Fbh

Social Media: Nothing. I own a Facebook account but check it mabye once or twice a week. I don't follow any news outlets on it (except some gaming news sites) so the few news or political pieces I see on it are the ones that friends share.

YouTube: only use it for gaming media and even then it's mostly just easy Allies.

International news: BBC.

Jezan

I was addicted to FB, but not anymore, I waste a lot of time on it, so I uninstalled from my phone, and my pc gets too slow to run it properly so I just visit it like once or twice a week.

Youtube, mostly used for gaming or music, when it's games is speedruns or combo videos and the like.

I'm addicted to tumblr though, many people posting their art and gifsets, awesome.

Ben_T

Neo Member
FB/Twitter/Instagram

I mainly listen to NPR at work for news. I also stream Sway in the Morning in Sirius

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I though this could be a great idea for a thread after reading the political leanings thread!

It will be great to see what kind of media, youtube, news etc we all go to/are entertained by.

Social media - No facebook or twitter for me, only instagram/ I just don't have it in me to read and see all the crap that gets generated there. Instagram is easy to use and catch up on what friends are doing. Whatsapp for communication/sharing

Youtube - Stef Sanjati, Blair White, Someblackguy, Philip DeFranco, Joe Rogan and a few different Star wars themed channels (character bios etc)

News - pretty much just BBC and Bloomberg TV .

What about the rest of you?

I do pretty much the same as you.
But I use FB. I dont post much aside from pics from my IG. No twitter.

Same Youtubers.
A few others who got demontized shut down also. Like Squatting Slav or Durst in the Worst.

FMbarbarian

I use Facebook for family. I use Instagram for my art. I have a Twitter account but don’t use it because it doesn’t seem like a great platform to have conversations on.

My YouTube usage is Easy Allies, Scream Fiends, Chip Chipperson Podacast, Diversity & Comics, ComicArtistPro Secrets, Joe Rogan and assorted pro wrestling shoot interviews.

Don’t watch news or much tv in general just pro wrestling.

I’m not really into movies as much as I am a comics fan I don’t really like comic book movies.

Blood Borne

Youtube is king. I acquired virtually all my employable skills via YouTube. Fuck university and bad debt.

Also, not a fan of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. I don't them productive in any way.

Social media - Nothing at all. Zero presence now. What a burden it was to keep up with all that garbage.

Youtube - Joe Rogan and this guy who flies around in a paramotor named Tucker Gott are my only subscribed channels. I watch gaming videos, music videos, NFL highlights etc

News - Fox News mainly. Sometimes CNN for lefty meltdowns and muh Russia narratives.

Music - I don't ever download or buy music anymore. I just use Spotify. What a great service for finding new shit. I get bored easily with music and just love discovering more.

Movies - Fuck going to movies. I want to avoid supporting Hollywood as much as I can. I watch a lot of Netflix originals and other series though.

aaronsan

Banned
News - Fox News mainly. Sometimes CNN for lefty meltdowns and muh Russia narratives.

Well, I'm completely shocked XD

So you joined here for lefty meltdowns too I guess?

I'll never understand that. The desire to watch others melt down, that is. I think I feel the same about righties as you do lefties, but I wish you all would just be happy and have nice lives. I don't want you to freak out and feel the world is out to get you. I think that's the main factor that makes us shitty to each other.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm signed up to a bunch of things, but I just dip in now and then. I don't make it a habit to do more than check the headlines at lunch.

Ecto311

I do a lot more reading sites than I do watching video. I browse here, reddit, twitter, facebook, Giant Bomb, Instagram, Verge, Ars, Avclub, slickdeals, wireddeals, teamliquid and a few other sites or links from those sites. I listen to podcasts more than most other media though. I listen to the Chip Chipperson podacast, wtf, bomb/beast cast, comedy bang bang, and a few others. Good thing I can wear headphones at work most of the time. I might get more into video since I got a note 8 and it is fantastic for video.

solomon

social media: Facebook once a week, Instagram/twitter for random shit, Linkedin (Job hunting :(...), Snapchat/Discord to keep up with friends.

Media: Youtube but mostly for music, tutorials and reviews, I'm slowly getting back into twitch, I sort of got burned out.

News: MSNBC/NPR in the morning.

Well, I'm completely shocked XD

So you joined here for lefty meltdowns too I guess?

I'll never understand that. The desire to watch others melt down, that is. I think I feel the same about righties as you do lefties, but I wish you all would just be happy and have nice lives. I don't want you to freak out and feel the world is out to get you. I think that's the main factor that makes us shitty to each other.
I don't want to derail the thread, but I was talking about the CNN talking heads. I agree 100% with your last 2 sentences. The rhetoric is way off the charts. Also, it's good that I can now actually post here with complete honesty about the news media I consume without being called a evil fascist Nazi something. If I wanted to see lefty meltdowns, I'd go to the other website. Anyway, moving on.

Joe T.

Social media - I have accounts on all the major platforms, but barely use any of them. FB's mostly for keeping in touch with friends and family around the world, occasionally I'll follow links to some stories or videos if they're interesting enough.

TV - I'm still subscribed to a la carte TV service which is often tuned into LCN (Quebec), CTV, CBC or CNN (they're terrible as a news sources, though I do prefer some of their deeper dives on political issues and original programming). The Canadian networks are what I tune into for actual facts, both local, national and international. The US networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, PBS) serve more as a means of understanding what/how the mainstream media is delivering stories to the average American. As much as I'm fascinated by human behavior and the liberal/conservative divide in the US I still refuse to tune into MSNBC or Fox News, I get enough examples of their sometimes ridiculous coverage on the internet. TMZ works for me as an entertaining look at celebrity culture with a good deal of self-deprecating humor.

Radio - Much more for a taste of what's getting airplay these days, less so for local news issues/sports. Gets the least attention between all the media I consume, though I do still like tuning into the local rock station when I'm out for 30 mins or more. Spotify and Youtube are where I listen to most of my music these days.

I get the majority of my news from the wealth of information available on the internet. WaPo, NYT, The Hill, Huffington Post, Glixel, Gamasutra, Gameindustry.biz, ArsTechnica and a long list of other sources. I spend a decent amount of time watching Youtube videos for a variety of reasons, but I hardly follow anyone for long and the sometimes questionable censorship there too closely follows that of mainstream media which makes me glad unfiltered alternatives still exist.

Breakage

No social media (with the exception of a few forums)
No video streaming subs. I just have Freeview, which is a free digital TV service here in the UK.
No PSN, XBL etc subs

YouTube (occasionally)
A few Britsh online news sites
Kindle
Radio: LBC and BBC London

Ubername

Banned
I click on the trending articles in the facebook sidebar and read the default newsfeed in my mobile browser. A lot of these articles seem to be written by people with little to no writing experience

Top Bottom