• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What NEEDS to make it in the Xbox 360 Fall 2007 Dashboard Update?

There have been some rumblings of what might make it in, but we don’t have any concrete details. You can never make a topic about this too early, as the team responsible for the Fall update is already in the middle of working on it. The guys over at Microsoft are pretty good at reading these kinds of topics, so there is a (slim) chance one of those guys will read your suggestion and it will make it in. If you have multiple suggestions prioritize them with the most important being listed first. Also, leave backwards compatibility suggestions out of this as that is unrelated to the dashboard update.

I'll start with my suggestions:
1.) Fix/Change the DRM
Any downloadable content you buy off of the Marketplace is bound to the console you bought it on and your profile. You can only access the content you purchased on another machine if you sign into Xbox Live. This can be a major pain for anyone who gets a new 360 because their console died or anyone who wants to transfer their content to an Elite. Microsoft’s current workaround (call 800-4MY-XBOX and complain until they refund all you points) is a pain for consumers and can be abused. I want to see Microsoft loosen their DRM so consumers can always access the games and content associated with their profile, whether they are online on or off, regardless of what model 360 they may be using now. Things like the PS3 and iPod are way ahead of the 360 as far as DRM goes.

2.) Give people more control over their Achievements
Achievements are still very popular, and I think Microsoft should give gamers some more control over them to help ensure the passion doesn’t let up. Let gamers delete ANY achievements or played games they wish. Already it’s a getting annoying to “Compare Games” with other people because you need to scroll through the 70 XBLA trials they played just to get see what games they own. Obviously they shouldn’t make it easy to accidentally delete all your achievements. Bury the option deep in the system settings, password protect it, whatever, just give us the option to “streamline” our achievements to keep our profile relevant and manageable. If deleting achievements would be too problematic, the ideal solution would probably be to let gamers have the ability to turn on or off what played games get displayed to other users.

3.) Better friends list organization
Let us group our Friends List in groups or clans, or at the very least let us type a brief description for each person for the times we forget who "x420Striker69x" actually is.

4.) 16:10 letterbox support
Currently if you output to a 16:10 monitor the picture gets distorted and stretched to fill the whole screen. VGA users like me would love to see black bars drawn at the top and bottom of the image to maintain the proper 16:9 image.

5.) Fix the auto sign-in bug
If you use the wireless adapter and leave a disc in the tray, the 360 will not automatically sign into Xbox Live. Not a huge deal, but an annoying bug the Spring update added.

btrboyev

4.) 16:10 letterbox support
Currently if you output to a 16:10 monitor the picture gets distorted and stretched to fill the whole screen. VGA users like me would love to see black bars drawn at the top and bottom of the image to maintain the proper 16:9 image.

your monitor should do that for you. check your settings. If not, well then your monitor sucks.

Saterium

Faster Loading for just about everything
It's gotten better since the 360s release but loading demos are live arcade titles still take a little too long (especially with all the live arcade games out now). Loading all the gamer pictures takes way too long, themes take awhile too. When turning on the console signing in takes a little too long too (maybe by a few seconds), PSN signs in almost instantly. Viewing videos and music takes awhile to load as well, especially videos. Finally, looking at anything in the memory manager is annoying since it takes a good 20 seconds for it to load all your saved data.

I love the 360 dashboard but one thing the PS3 XMB has over it is that it's fairly quick, 360 seems to take a little bit to load just about everything - and it adds up over time. I'm not sure how they'd fix it, but it'd be nice if they somehow did.

*EDIT*
Wii has a fairly snappy dashboard too, with the exception of the loading between channels but it's not too bad.

pilonv1

a Master Ninja said:
5.) Fix the auto sign-in bug
If you use the wireless adapter and leave a disc in the tray, the 360 will not automatically sign into Xbox Live. Not a huge deal, but an annoying bug the Spring update added.

I was wondering what was causing that. I figured my wireless channels were mixed up, and I was going to add I'd like to be able to change my wireless channel on my official wireless adapter. I've been getting random disconnects when downloading demos.

JdFoX187

Banned
One thing I was thinking of is something like a message indicator while you're "away."

Stupid as it may sound, there are a lot of times when I leave my Xbox 360 and go to another room or fix a sandwich, things like that. I come back and I'm "away" or idle. What if somebody sends me a game invite, a message or something like that? I won't know unless I manually open up the guide and take a look.

While that's not that big of a hassle, it'd be nice to have a little dialogue box in the bottom corner or somewhere on the screen that says "X messages" or something like that. Just a thought.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I could be wrong, but I think you get auto-signed in still, it just takes a little longer (like a minute), or maybe you have to start a game?

Spectate Mode
You know, this'll probably never happen and I don't even know if it's technically possible, but I'd love the ability to spectate on anyone playing a game on 360 (and of course have an option to turn free spectating on). For example, I wanted to show my brother how to do something in Pac-Man and it would be so great to have a spectate mode, especially in sports games of course.

Doytch

I'm a huge anti-DRM nut, but if there's one company that I believe will never loosen their DRM, it's Microsoft(just in front of Sony).

Main thing I want is ID3 support for ****ing mp3 players! The code is there, when it streams, it pulls the tags, but my mp3 player shows just one giant folder of music.

nextgeneration said:
Live Arcade should have its own blade.

I agree, but have the "Xbox Live"and "Games" blades condensed into a single blade to cut down on the clutter. I don't want more than 5 total blades. The Guide already makes the "Xbox Live" blade unnecessary.

MCD

Long useless copy pasta from before but kinda new, lol.

1- why in the world can't i transfer pictures/music..etc.. from a flash memory or an external hdd into my 360 hdd? would at least make the 120 hdd useful.

2- Sony PSP offer the "trim/zoom option" and then you can set it as your wallpaper, 360 surely can benefit from this, imagine trimming and creating your own damn gamer picture.

3- no set as wallpaper option when viewing the pictures (can only be done on the thumbnails by pressing X on any pic).

4- loading the thumbnails is really slow, how about using a cache system? it's annoying to wait for the thumbnails to refresh every time i open a picture and go back.

5- how about organizing the themes? i have set a lot of my own files as wallpapers, now when i open my themes list, i see a lot of files and it takes a while to load them too.

- so how about an option to set custom folders on the themes list? that way, i can separate my files from the official themes.

6- oh noes, i didn't like this wall! now how do i deleted it? lol you have to memorize the file name and go to options --> memory --> themes and delete it there BECAUSE THERE IS NO THUMBNAIL VIEW FOR SOME REASON.

7- add a thumbnail system to the themes list (hey i can't be bothered to remember my pics names all the time).

8- last, which i don't think microsoft would alow it ($$$), is to create my own theme, would love to set 4 different pictures as one theme.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It should just plain not add demos to your achievements list.

It only does this for XBLA titles, and it's because when you download the trial, you are actually downloading the full game with the content locked away, so the system thinks it's the full game.

With that being said, it should definitely be fixed.

GhaleonEB

3.) Better friends list organization
Let us group our Friends List in groups or clans, or at the very least let us type a brief description for each person for the times we forget who "x420Striker69x" actually is.

YES

FF/RW music, also.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
NAS SUPPORT
NAS SUPPORT
NAS SUPPORT
NAS SUPPORT

One more time without the acronym

Network Attached Storage SUPPORT

Screw MS tethering their console with a computer when the console is more than capable of handling its own. Lol M$ ftl

Instead of just telling me who is online, I would like the pop-ups to tell me what they are playing so I don't have to check the friends list.

MCD

WickedLaharl said:
you can already put a password on your account. this also keeps you from automatically signing into live.

Really? never noticed.

the more you know.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
fix the brightness in upscaled xbox 1 games. an 'extended' black level setting was recently added, but that only works if you set your output to 480p -- which is what i've been doing as i replay halo 1. the blacks get horribly washed out in hd resolutions, and it's a pain in the ass to correct this on your tv every time.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Allow me to choose what type of notification I want to see. I'd like to know when I get an invitation or when I unlock an achievement, but I certainly don't want to know when anyone from my 80+ friends list connects.
Ho and while they are at it, make sure that WMV playback in the dashboard is smooth 100% of the time instead of 50%. At least it can be working perfectly so I'm not really complaining anymore.

Ability to check my active downloads when I'm in a game.

Also easily chose a wallpaper for different blades. Also make it so I can mix and match wallpapers with the other blade styles. You can already but its a little tricky.

Blimblim said:
Allow me to choose what type of notification I want to see. I'd like to know when I get an invitation or when I unlock an achievement, but I certainly don't want to know when anyone from my 80+ friends list connects.
I agree 100%. The "friend has logged into Xbox Live" notifications are the only ones I don't want displayed. Annoying as hell. I do think they got rid of the "friend has logged off" notifications, which is a start.

Rahxephon91 said:
Ability to check my active downloads when I'm in a game.
You can do that already. Check the Guide for "Active Downloads". I think it is under "Personal Settings".

FightyF

Banned
Actually I never considered any of your suggestions Master Ninja...though I can agree with them.

I strongly feel that the 2 most vital improvements that should be made are:

1) Cross-Game Clan support: This will result in game sales increases, big time. By being able to create a cross-game clan, users will encourage others to buy software that members of the clan don't own, they will be able to organize parties that can extend across games, and they will be able to create another level of competition. Just imagine clan leaderboards, for example.

2) Increase the friends count from 100 to 1000. Seriously, for a pay service, this really needs to be addressed. Sure, leave the Silver members at 100, but for those who play online make it 1000. Especially with the clan feature, increasing that will be vital.

I know that they are supposed to add clan support in the update before Halo 3 hits, but I have a feeling that it will be poorly conceived and executed.

Monty

Screw NAS support, let me plug an external hard drive directly into the machine and stream music and video directly.

Also, mouse and keyboard support. But I gave up on that long ago.

soco

1) ability to change your region (perhaps limit it to 3 times? you know, like old DVD drives in windows?) i've moved and i don't wanna kill all my saves and work with silly workarounds just so that i can keep my gamertag. i should be able to buy and use xblm points cards from the country i live in and not the former country. seriously, i'm not paying 70$ for 4000 points.

2) group chat

3) the full dashboard clan/group support or better friends list organization. i still think i should be able to assign a gamer picture to different groups of friends that would be displayed in the list and when someone logs on, so if i have a group of friends that are specific to one game, i can tag them with a gamer picture from that game or something. hell, it might even cause a few more sales.

Kabouter

Pretty much fix the whole listing of trial arcade games in your played games list. Let me delete the ones already there.

Add the ablity to copy media from my PC onto my 360 HDD. I know that on the SONY Playstation 3 you can copy media from MICROSOFT Windows, but on my MICROSOFT Xbox 360 I can't do that.

HUH?

watership

No matter how many things they add, the comments will go like this:

"What a minor update"
"They didn't add ____? Screw you M$"

But,

I would like a better picture viewer, a way to ff and rev music files, and.. haha..xvid and divx codecs. Oh. That was funny.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
watership said:
No matter how many things they add, the comments will go like this:

"What a minor update"
"They didn't add ____? Screw you M$"

But,

I would like a better picture viewer, a way to ff and rev music files, and.. haha..xvid and divx codecs. Oh. That was funny.

People have their idiosyncratic desires for Live, but for some of the really basic stuff like getting the demos off of gamer profiles, I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been fixed yet, cynicism aside.

Top Bottom