• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What new inputs could the DualShock 5 add?

Jubenhimer

When it comes to controllers, each of the big 3 have their own philosophy. Nintendo radically changes their controllers each system, going from an tri-handle shape of the N64, to a dual handle and weird button layout of the GameCube, then a remote, a giant tablet, and now currently on detachable gum-sticks. Microsoft sticks to tradition, barely adding to or changing the functionality of the Xbox Controller since its introduction. Sony however, has always been a happy medium between Microsoft and Nintendo. Innovating on input methods, while not tampering with the core design and layout. Even the DualShock 4, the first major redesign of the controller, still fundamentally feels like a controller from the late 90s. Each DualShock has added something new with each PlayStation console. The DualShock 2 for the PS2 introduced pressure sensitive face-buttons, the DualShock 3 introduced Sixaxis motion controls, and the DualShock 4 introduced a touchpad.

Keeping with the formula, what new input or feature could Sony introduce in the DualShock 5? I think the DS5 could implement a Switch-like HD Rumble feature, which would help with VR, but I struggle to think what other inputs could be added. The DS4 is already one of the most fully featured controllers on the market, so unless it's something we've never seen before, I don't know what else could be added.

Mista

Banned
It doesn’t matter to me what new features they add honestly. All I want is a bigger controller with better analog sticks placement and a better battery life

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The large button replaced with a digital band that let’s you pick the app or game you want even before you turn it on.

Can also be used for multiple digital buttons within the game.

EctoPrime

The touchpad could be replaced with a touchscreen which would let Sony dump the coloured led. Replacing the options and share buttons with mouse scroll wheels would gain you four extra buttons. Scroll up, scroll down and scroll press x2 with preferably non smoothscroll type wheels.

Ol'Scratch

It really does not need any, just tighen up maybe add a little weight and better battery life and upgrade bluetooth.

MetalRain

I think question is more like what they should remove.

Do we really need RGB led or touchpad in controller?

I think they should just have great build quality and good battery life. Probably also change charging port to USB-C.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

I think question is more like what they should remove.

Do we really need RGB led or touchpad in controller?

I think they should just have great build quality and good battery life. Probably also change charging port to USB-C.

The light bar is needed for VR, so it can stay. As for the touchpad, it has its potential uses, and Sony needs to start pushing developers to use it more, at least in places where it makes sense. Same with the motion sensor. It's 2019, and we're still forced to use the analog stick to aim in PS4 Shooters? That shit needs to stop.

D3SCHA1N

Pfft, if using the analog needs to stop in ps4 shooters its only because the analogs on ps4 controllers are kinda shit. Motion controls are terrible, not everyone cares about VR, the controller is going to be a universal component of the next console, so it needs to provide proper control regardless of the player's preferences & priorities when using it. Motion controls and VR are things I'll never use, so the controller cannot and should not cater to those over more standard input methods.

Jubenhimer

Pfft, if using the analog needs to stop in ps4 shooters its only because the analogs on ps4 controllers are kinda shit. Motion controls are terrible, not everyone cares about VR, the controller is going to be a universal component of the next console, so it needs to provide proper control regardless of the player's preferences & priorities when using it. Motion controls and VR are things I'll never use, so the controller cannot and should not cater to those over more standard input methods.

Motion is just a tool, its not good or bad on its own. Sure, Wii-era waggle gimmicks are thankfully dead, but using a gyroscope to more precisely aim in a shooter, far better than clunky, archaic analog stick aiming. You not liking Motion or VR doesn't mean these things need to go away and have the controller be ruined for everyone else. Not to mention, you don't have to use motion aiming either. Just turn it off if you don't want it.

Chromata

Think about it, what's the one sense we don't have in games? We got visuals and sound. For touch we have rumble. Sony's going to unlock the next frontier of gaming inputs: smell.

Every controller will come with a refillable standard packet of smells. When Lara Croft is exploring a lush jungle, you'll smell the monkey dung just as nature intended. When Kratos bathes in the blood of his enemies, you'll experience the exotic scents of Norse monster guts. Forget super SSD's and ray tracing, this is the next big thing.

Pimpbaa

2 extra face buttons so it's better for fighting games. Plus a d-pad like the one on the 6 button genesis and saturn controller.

GenericUser

Hopefully none, lightbar and touchpad and all that other crap is solely included to charge a ridiculous amount of money for a piece of plastic.

Remove the touchpad and give us a touchscreen? That could cannibalize battery life, though, and might be unnecessary. I’d like to see the triggers made better. I hate trying to sit my controller down when I’m watching something and it fast forwards the video because the trigger is pressed down.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It should remove, not add. Get rid of the lightbar especially if I'm not using the PS Camera.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
None of Sony’s innovations on the Dualshock have been any good.

Sixaxis - crap motion gimmick and losing rumble, worse than Dualshock.
Dualshock 3 - added rumble back, so on back on par with Dualshock
Dualshock 4 - crap touch surface and an omniglow, worse than Dualshock

It is incredible how they haven’t managed to add anything of value to the concept. And it’s not for lack of trying:

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

It is incredible how they haven’t managed to add anything of value to the concept. And it’s not for lack of trying:

What controllers have evolved and added value to the concept to you in comparison?

Also, what innovations would you find to be good or of value in a new DS?

xool

(said this many times) .. If they add something significant they (both) need to act like adults and talk to MS about it .. we need a controller standards group . no point adding back paddles if Xbox doesn't have it and it doesn't get used and then dropped next gen ..

• 5 way joystiq (like common of monitors now) gaming quality, possibly even to replace the D-pad (sacrilege!)
  • Back paddles/buttons, one per side
  • Replace the touch sensor with something useful
  • Bring back analogue face buttons

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Change the touch sensor to a button. It fails to give stuff with touch, it drains batery, so is just a big button

Chittagong

Gold Member
What controllers have evolved and added value to the concept to you in comparison?

Also, what innovations would you find to be good or of value in a new DS?

The jump from PS One controller was substantial, integrating dual analog sticks and rumble both changed the experience considerably. Now both are standards.

Or Sega, going from the Saturn analog controller to Dreamcast, adding trigger buttons brought something new to the gaming experience. Again, this became a standard.

Most recently, Xbox 360 introduced the concept of a home button, a way to always access non-game functionality without rebooting the console, and new, dynamic content related to the game. Today, all consoles have adopted this feature.

Personally, I also like Nintendo’s innovation with split gyro controllers. First flirted with on the Wii, they really nailed the concept on Switch. The split stance is more comfortable to play, and the gyro adds substantially to the aiming experience. This, unfortunately, seems unlikely to become a standard.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Make a pair of these the pack-In controllers:

9VrDR4W.jpg

Enough buttons for TV gaming+VR ready. No need to buy extra peripherals.

They could always add the pressure sensitive buttons back in, that was pretty neat.

Integrating motion sensors wasn't a bad idea. Works very well in Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
It doesn’t matter to me what new features they add honestly. All I want is a bigger controller with better analog sticks placement and a better battery life

Better analog stick placement = ?

In my opinion DS4 have already prefected it.

Xbox = they fail miserably by using wrong kind of placement aka non-symmetrical. Humans have usually 2 hands with same size+finger placement. So one thumb doesnt rest naturally with this style, unless half of the controller would be also in different ergonomical shape. Or player uses different grip style with one hand.

Nintendo = even worse

Ds4 = thumbs rest naturally on sticks when relaxed for most users. Nobody I know have complains about that, only some nutcases online that use "the claw" or other weird styles, but that is an user error.
Ds3 had em too close, that is true

What I would add, well nothing much, maybe more grippy surface and some minor things like that

Fox Mulder

I really hope they don't slap a touch screen on it. The touch pad is already useless and shit like the colored bar is dumb. The wiiu was stupid looking up and down at the tv and controller.

The Xbox rumble triggers are amazing in Forza for feeling brakes lock up or tires losing traction. I'd love something like that.

Last edited:

INC

Forget the DS, I'd rather have a better move controllers

Analogue sticks are needed

The aim controller needs better deadzones on the sticks

Mista

Banned

Xbox = they fail miserably by using wrong kind of placement aka non-symmetrical. Humans have usually 2 hands with same size+finger placement. So one thumb doesnt rest naturally with this style, unless half of the controller would be also in different ergonomical shape. Or player uses different grip style with one hand.
Can’t agree there. I have massive hands and the DS4 is not comfortable for me. Xbox controllers were always great in my hands and very comfortable

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

So... let's remove all those overcomplicated and underused features and keep it as simple as possible. No touch field, no motion controls... nothing that keeps distracting the player and remind him that he's holding a controller (looking at you, Skyward Sword and your immersion breaking forced recalibration) . Players should struggle with the game, not the controllers :messenger_fistbump:

Otherwise, hmm... dunno. Maybe a dick slot ? :messenger_neutral:

xool

I don't want to get involved in the L stick placement thing (both are fine to me) .. but I do miss the weight of the 360 controller. When the DS4 rumbles it just feels insubstantial, when the 360 controller vibrated it used to shake out tension headaches for me - nearly but not exaggerating.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The jump from PS One controller was substantial, integrating dual analog sticks and rumble both changed the experience considerably. Now both are standards.

Or Sega, going from the Saturn analog controller to Dreamcast, adding trigger buttons brought something new to the gaming experience. Again, this became a standard.

Most recently, Xbox 360 introduced the concept of a home button, a way to always access non-game functionality without rebooting the console, and new, dynamic content related to the game. Today, all consoles have adopted this feature.

Personally, I also like Nintendo’s innovation with split gyro controllers. First flirted with on the Wii, they really nailed the concept on Switch. The split stance is more comfortable to play, and the gyro adds substantially to the aiming experience. This, unfortunately, seems unlikely to become a standard.

The PS1 added analogue once the N64 launched and quickly added rumble when Nintendo launched the rumble pack. SO it wasn't Sony's innovation it was just copying Nintendo. The sticks wound up where they did because they needed to maintain the same layout as the launch PS1 controller.

I think Sony gets credit for adding the second set of L/R buttons which was huge as well as the handles.

mortal

Gold Member
I would love to have a Dualshock 5 "Elite" variation.

The Xbox One Elite controller is one of the best feeling controller I've ever held. The customization, the materials and finish, those sticks.

If Sony is touting PS5 as geared towards the hardcore, they should at least provide an official brand option.

Pressure sensitive touchpad, with two extra analog sticks on the top so that people can decide if they play symetrical or asymmetrical.

Also add a second d-pad on the right side of the controller for ambidextrous controls.

Oh and upgrade the light bar to a full laser, so you can actually shoot the bad guys in the games.

Finish it with carbon instead of plastic, and replace the battery with a micro fusion reactor for infinite play time.

Obviously don't remove anything that is already on the controller!

Efit: I forgot the 6 face buttons like the Saturn controller!

Last edited:

BlackTron

Nintendo = even worse

Ds4 = thumbs rest naturally on sticks when relaxed for most users. Nobody I know have complains about that, only some nutcases online that use "the claw" or other weird styles, but that is an user error.
Ds3 had em too close, that is true

What I would add, well nothing much, maybe more grippy surface and some minor things like that

Most games entail your left thumb spending most of its time on the left stick, and your right thumb on the face buttons.

In other words, with most games, reverse-analog actually means your thumbs are in the same position on the controller.

Maybe in an FPS both thumbs would spend most time in the same position, but personally I play those with a mouse/keyboard anyway.

For the games I actually play on console, platformers, adventure games, fighters...reverse analog means my thumbs are actually lined up.

It's just about finding the right tool for the job. If it's a Dpad heavy game, DS is superior to XB controller...

rəddəM

Better symmetrical CONCAVE analog sticks.
Better battery life.
Better customization options (turning off the light).
Better triggers.
Bigger.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Just improve the battery life.

Wonko_C

Forget the DS, I'd rather have a better move controllers

Analogue sticks are needed

The aim controller needs better deadzones on the sticks

Those will come next gen, and most likely with much better (infrared) tracking instead of stupid lightballs.

Top Bottom