• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Nintendo doesn't want you to know - The Bizarre Case of Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Quezacolt

Well wiiu and switch are about the same on performance(wiiu vs docked mode), switch just have more modern architechture.

So its not so easy to make wiiu games run 1080p
You are wrong about this, i mean, really wrong. Portable mode is closer to wii u in performance and even then, it is still stronger to the point it runs games like dark souls at native 1280x720 in handheld mode (and 1080p docked) when last gen consoles only ran the game at 1024x720 and with massive performance drops.

Most TMS's censorship is bizarre, I would say this game has most weirdest censorship have seen in any game.

Absolutely, and it's what made me write the article. This isn't just your regular 'let's get rid of everything sexy'-Sony-style censorship. This is someone going SuperSaiyanPuritan and look at a dungeon and say 'ruins the meaning of the dungeon? Whatever, changed!'. And then sees a sleeping girl on a bench and thinks 'omg, a sleeping girl on a bench, that's so sexual! Changed!'.

It's utterly insane and imo shows that, even if my proposed theory is wrong, someone in the Treehouse localization team had an extreme agenda for one reason or another. It definitely wasn't one of NoA's higher ups demanding the bench-girl to be changed. Can you imagine, Reggi: "Omgz, someone change the girl from lying to sitting upright asap or I'm gonna take your names!!1' 🐧

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What gives me hope is that at least maybe sometime in the future there'll be an option to play the game on emulator with restored content and I don't give a damn about piracy thing cuz I'll buy the game this month for my Switch and play it no matter what cuz I don't have a choice. Plus, no matter what I do it won't change Nintendo which is the only company anyone should blame for all this censorship.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Most TMS's censorship is bizarre, I would say this game has most weirdest censorship have seen in any game.

I was thinking about it as well. There is a very weird aspect to it.

It seems weird to me because there's stuff on the eshop that seems way more "extreme" and they seem totally fine with it.
Maybe they don't care because most of those games are shit?

Personally, TMS is not a game for me. Not a fan.
However, there is an audience for that content and I am cool with developers and publishers catering to that audience.
What do I care, right?

I wondering though, what happens if you set out to make a game for thirsty weebs with plenty of sexualized drawings and at some point you realize "oh shit we have an actual good game on our hands here"? Suddenly there is a possibility that the game could reach a more mainstream audience. Now the devs and publishers have a dilemma. Probably it comes down to the desire to have the game rated at a certain level?

I absolutely hate the character designs in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. They are just cringey as fuck and some of the "blades" designs are just absolutely atrocious. In my opinion. So bad that it very nearly caused me to pass on the game. Xenoblade Chronicles X also had a few... let's say... interesting... choices too but I loved the game. In the end I think XC2 is one of the best games on the Switch but I don't see myself recommending it to anyone I actually know in real life cos it's just a real cringefest until you can get past the weeb pandering exterior and find the awesome game underneath.

Anyway, I wonder if something is going on here where they've come up with quite a good game but find themselves in a spot when it comes to marketing. So now they are backtracking. Oh shit we've made one of the best games for the Wii U buuuuuuuuut we've accidentally aimed it at thirsty anime fans. :)

Or are they just fucking stupid? Or do they legit believe that Western audiences don't want to look at tits and asses? It's very fucking strange. Is it an SJW thing? I don't think so as XC2 got by just fine. However, Mythra IS censored in Smash Ultimate so who knows?

There's no excuse for the censorship but I just think it's humorous to think of them realizing "oh shit the game is pretty good" before then realizing "oh shit it will only ever be played by perverts" :)

In the end they should have just let the game come out without censoring and let it find it's audience naturally.
This must be about the ESRB ratings though right?

fepeinado

Neo Member
... which mustn't be, because ... ?

It's an absolutely outlandish, bizarre change.
oh, i'm not defending this. I'm against censorship and ALL of these changes are beyond ridiculous. I was just trying to find a pov for this particular change.

Does anyone has any insight on why N is using this censored version? I'd guess it would be an easier translation/adaptation for a quicker release, but then a simple patch wouldn't be possible to be applied on the WiiU version to remove the changes.

Teslerum

I have this on Wii U, is that how I'm playing with the latest patches, or do I have to do something?

It's backlogged, obviously lol

It does require a bit of work. The patch itself is called Restoration and contains detailed instructions, Just google Tokyo Mirage Session Restoration and you'll find it.

Blond

Banned
Unless I'm wrong I SWORE that I read that this was based off the Japanese version. What happened? Also fully willing to admit I'm wrong as well btw.

EDIT: I'm wrong and right, sounds like it was supposed to be but now it isn't.

Last edited:
Aaand this case became even dumber now: Nintendo just released a trailer for guest appearances in Fire Emblem Heroes.

Not only is there English voice acting (the main game only has Japanese voice acting), but LOOK at those anime tiddies. Tsubasa's cleavage here is more nude than even in the original Japanese Wii U-version, So the main game is super censored, yet Nintendo got no qualms using super uncensored versions in Heroes.

*sigh* 🤦‍♀️

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Aaand this case became even dumber now: Nintendo just released a trailer for guest appearances in Fire Emblem Heroes.

Not only is there English voice acting (the main game only has Japanese voice acting), but LOOK at those anime tiddies. Tsubasa's cleavage here is more nude than even in the original Japanese Wii U-version, So the main game is super censored, yet Nintendo got no qualms using super uncensored versions in Heroes.

*sigh* 🤦‍♀️

I don't have that much issue with no english voices. I'm pretty sure it would have been hard to find english voice actor who can sing well and I personally never going bother with english voice in this type of game.

I do hope this costumes comes in west version as well .

Last edited:

ranmafan

It’s going to be so weird playing this game this weekend with all these changes I’m not used to. I’m really not looking forward to the changed bikini photo shoot segment. Everything I’ve see of it over the years is laughable.

watch Nintendo of japan does dlc for the game that brings back the original scenes. and they know the fans will buy it too.

theclaw135

Banned
I can't wrap my head around this. It almost feels like the changes are too conspicuous to be censorship.

Personally I prefer an open minded perspective, and try to refrain from accusations based on appearance alone.
I'm more willing to consider unlikely explanations than most people.

Last edited:

Senhua

*sigh* 🤦‍♀️

Well this is already been Nintendo "policy" after XB2 since all their first party console/handheld "mature" games being developed with global market in mind that means no more fan service (look at latest FE artstyle) and expect the next xenoblade too.
While they keep their fanservice element at their gacha game (FE heroes still using awakening & fates artstyle) so it's safe to say the same about all "mature" their switch game from now on.
It's already a public secret in Japanese gamers for Nintendo first party "mature" games to be Americanize to catch global market.
Sometimes I wish they still care to make different version for domestic market but by looking at the recent trend and sales, I doubt it.
Console market here already dying and Nintendo so focused to make a global product to appeal for everyone will accelerate it.
In Japan FE Heroes already more popular that the recent mainline release (three houses). I think Gacha and online multiplayer PC/Console is the future of gaming in japan.

Top Bottom