• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What on earth is going on with my Gears of War 4 update on Win 10?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
NEVER pause a large WinStore download unless you don't mind re-downloading the whole thing. In my experience it picks up where it left off about 50% of the time at best.

Oh and here's a fun kicker; if the app got an update mid download, no matter how small the update, you get to start over again. From zero.

The fact that a huge number of people have issues downloading large files/games off of MS's store, on MS's newest OS is fucking shameful. If I was in charge of overseeing this as department head I'd be fucking horrified and embarrassed.

you seem very angry

NEVER pause a large WinStore download unless you don't mind re-downloading the whole thing. In my experience it picks up where it left off about 50% of the time at best.

Oh and here's a fun kicker; if the app got an update mid download, no matter how small the update, you get to start over again. From zero.

The fact that a huge number of people have issues downloading large files/games off of MS's store, on MS's newest OS is fucking shameful. If I was in charge of overseeing this as department head I'd be fucking horrified and embarrassed.

I second this advice regarding pausing. I made this mistake when I downloaded Gears 4 (having downloaded a fair old chunk of it) and had to start again when I picked up the next day.

I've had it easy compared to some people; it is truly woeful and cannot be excused when other clients manage without this shit show.

you seem very angry

They have every right to show disdain and anger towards it. And as I said in my reply above: there isn't any excuse, today, for these kinds of problems.

I really, really want to reply with something. But at the same time, I have no words. Wow.

9G9af49.gif

What if this happens to the future xboxs' wich i believe will integrate with the Windows store.

CeePhour

Banned
First real issue I've had with it

Sadly I have said those same words. I only had KI and Gears1Re installed at the time, and for whatever reason it just decided to shit the bed one day and I had lost my ability to update or run these games.

After spending 2 days fucking with it and getting nothing more than "Something went wrong" to go on (thanks, Microsoft) I had to bite the bullet and reinstall Windows.

dr_rus

I hit pause and restarted

Now it looks like I'm starting again.... anyone any tips?
Delete Gears and redownload?

1. Check in sysreqs how much space a game needs on the drive to which you are installing it.

2. Before installing it make sure that you have _at least_ twice as much free space on that drive - the more the better.

3. Start the download and pray to all the gods.

SURGEdude

They have every right to show disdain and anger towards it. And as I said in my reply above: there isn't any excuse, today, for these kinds of problems.

Exactly. Here's the thing; nothing I said was inaccurate. Tone of an annoyed/pissed as hell person? Yup. But on top of my experience even this thread tells you this isn't exactly a smooth experience for many.

MS's whole app future is tied to this platform and yet they seem to not be willing to fix their delivery system.

Gowans

Ok I've updated Win 10 restarted the update and it's at 1.25gb of 101.1Gb going SLOW
Halo Wars 2 has died with error code 0X80070005.

I give up, might take by box downstairs and plug it in to the rooter.

danmaku

If and when you'll have the impulse to buy something else from the Windows Store, please remember this day and don't do it.

JBwB

It could be a corrupted user profile. Try downloading a random app and check if it installs properly or gives you that error message.

If you have the bandwidth I'd try creating a new user profile and downloading the game on it to see if it will work.

SURGEdude

Ok I've updated Win 10 restarted the update and it's at 1.25gb of 101.1Gb going SLOW
Halo Wars 2 has died with error code 0X80070005.

I give up, might take by box downstairs and plug it in to the rooter.

When I buy a cross-buy game I just look at getting the PC version as a side bonus. I don't rely on it actually be accessible.

At least with Quantum Break we could sell the codes.

Zurick

Banned
You guys are crazy. The Windows Store works perfect. I prefer it over Steam.

(I really hope sarcasm comes through well here)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Funny how the guy who shitposted about me being angry despite echoing widely experienced issues suddenly disappeared.

Still waiting for him to tell me where I got something wrong.
You got it wrong the moment you decided to buy a Win Store game.

I gave up on it when I couldn't download Disney Infinity for free. Worst store ever, and I regret buying 5 games for 10 cents each during a sale.

Gowans

It could be a corrupted user profile. Try downloading a random app and check if it installs properly or gives you that error message.

If you have the bandwidth I'd try creating a new user profile and downloading the game on it to see if it will work.

Looks like there is another update that is applying also, I'll run through that and hope it goes back to being how it was.

This happened to me when I bought GoW4, it said the correct size of the game and started downloading then it just went up and up and up and never ended. I had to kill it and delete the data then start it again.

Also had problems with patches either taking hours to download small amounts of just fucking up like this and displaying a huge size and never stopping increasing.

I haven't opened the store since I completed GoW4 and I don't plan to any time soon since it looks like all the issues still exist.

Basically the only thing you can try is deleting it all and starting again or if that fails creating a new user and installing on that profile, the latter is not acceptable at all but its what you may have to do.

This happened to me when I bought GoW4, it said the correct size of the game and started downloading then it just went up and up and up and never ended. I had to kill it and delete the data then start it again.

Also had problems with patches either taking hours to download small amounts of just fucking up like this and displaying a huge size and never stopping increasing.

I haven't opened the store since I completed GoW4 and I don't plan to any time soon since it looks like all the issues still exist.

Basically the only thing you can try is deleting it all and starting again or if that fails creating a new user and installing on that profile, the latter is not acceptable at all but its what you may have to do.

I hope you haven't left the game installed if you're not playing it anymore. I did that with Horizon 3 and ended up in a situation where it didn't show up in any of my applications, couldn't launch it or even uninstall it yet it was taking up over 50gb on one of my ssd's. I had to format the entire drive to get rid of it because Microsoft lock the folders down preventing you from deleting them yourself.

Fucking backwards bullshit.

Gowans

Phew... OK

I've

- updated fully to the latest insider build
- quit both downloads
- done a disk clean on both drives
- restarted the downloads

All looks to be going ok now (tho slow)
FINGERS CROSSED!

AmGUb2Y.png

dr_rus

Phew... OK

I've

- updated fully to the latest insider build
- quit both downloads
- done a disk clean on both drives
- restarted the downloads

All looks to be going ok now (tho slow)
FINGERS CROSSED!

Why are you using insider builds as a production environment? This isn't even a beta channel, it's more alpha than anything else. You should really use the latest public release for anything gaming related. Insider builds are breaking game related stuff left and right with each even release.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Gears 4 ain't that better on the Xbox One. Every month there's like a 5GB+ update (I assume it's the new multiplayer maps) and it's mandatory even if I want to keep playing singleplayer (yeah, it's going slooow for me, the first act was beyond awful and it took me forever to be done with it).

jacobeid

Banned
They really need to fix this if they ever want people to take them seriously in the PC space. They've dropped the ball so hard on this play anywhere stuff.

You would think that the company that makes, runs and maintains the OS the windows store is part of would be able to have clean, simple installs of their apps.

nope.

Chances are that the insider build just reset some cache and other things and a month from now you will get another buggy install and repeat the process.

Gowans

Why are you using insider builds as a production environment? This isn't even a beta channel, it's more alpha than anything else. You should really use the latest public release for anything gaming related. Insider builds are breaking game related stuff left and right with each even release.

I do a lot of creator stuff so this insider update is important, this isn't my main gaming machine but with Play Anywhere is a nice bonus I get in my office when I'm not in front of my xbox.

I will jump off the next full public release tho.

It blows my mind that Microsoft has so much trouble with this most basic feature. By feature, I mean being able to download your purchases. You would think that would be pretty high on the list of priorities when you make a store, but apparently not! I've got nothing against Microsoft, and I like seeing my old Xbox friends when I'm playing on a Play Anywhere title, but seriously, get your shit together. The last time I used the store, my download of Forza Horizon 3 got to 40/55 GB then just went back to 0. Awesome. I could see the files were still on my computer, but then, instead of resuming it just wipes them and starts again.

I had to download some torrent of the install files and use Powershell to install it. That's ridiculous, especially with data caps.

For a company that specializes in software, the Windows 10 Store is an absolute, inexcusable disgrace.

I sold my Xbox One S OP, so I'm now getting my Xbox games on PC and I have always had problems with the store.

With Quantum Break, I kept getting errors when I tried to download, had to refresh my PC. Still had to deal with glitchy download progress, but after 2-3 tries, it finally downloaded.

I kept hearing, wait for the Anniversary Update, it'll bring some changes to the Store. I was hopeful, but sadly, my confidence was misplaced because fast-forward to this year, I'm trying to dl Forza Horizon 3 and the Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta and the downloads just keep freezing. Over and over and over and over and over again.

Find out that the Windows Update is tied into the Store, and after troubleshooting, there were some sort of corruptions, so I reset my PC again.

Now I can download fine, but I am under no circumstances pleased with how unstable a digital storefront the Windows 10 Store is and my experiences with it. I am still under the impression that MS is trying to rig a mobile store up with digital game marketplace without the appropriate backend. It's one thing to download a 500MB app or game and another to download +50GB games.

Something needs to be done, because I honestly see myself going back to Scorpio to avoid the hassle that is the Windows 10 Store.

I hope you haven't left the game installed if you're not playing it anymore. I did that with Horizon 3 and ended up in a situation where it didn't show up in any of my applications, couldn't launch it or even uninstall it yet it was taking up over 50gb on one of my ssd's. I had to format the entire drive to get rid of it because Microsoft lock the folders down preventing you from deleting them yourself.

Fucking backwards bullshit.

haha, yeah it's still installed, I haven't opened the store or xbox app since i completed it so I can't wait to see what mess awaits me!

Krakn3Dfx

I deleted everything I had installed from the Windows store awhile back. I own Forza Horizon and Gears 4 on there, but fuck this shit, I can't afford 250GB fucked updates anymore, not with Comcast's 1TB cap now.

Fix your shit MS.

RedSwirl

Apparently I already downloaded this update last week. Game is 101GB now.

Game file sizes are getting more and more out of hand these days, but Microsoft is seemingly the worst. Isn't Halo 5 on Xbox over 100GB now?

I know as technology advances games get bigger, but I think this is the first time we've seen sizes balloon this much within a console generation, or seen one game get so much bigger through updates. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if North American ISPs caught up. I keep thinking something is going to come to a head between game publishers and ISPs one day, like they're on a collision course.

Top Bottom