• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What other hobbies you beside gaming and movies\tv shows?

Nelsin

Banned
Im burnt of playing games and watching tv shows I wanna spend time doing something fun exciting and time consuming other than those above.

so gaf what is your daily hobbies beside those things mentioned ?

Orpheum

Playing Guitar in a Band. I started this with friends 10 years ago and we're still rolling. And i act in an amateur theatre group which is awesome. In the last months i've also discovered how much fun cooking actually is

Drake

Going to the gym, reading books. Don't really watch a whole lot of TV. The occasional movie and 82 hockey games a year. That's about it for TV usage.

Video game usage is definitely way down from where it used to be. That's a good thing though.

Greedings

I try to read, but I just fall asleep in like 2 pages nowadays. I have a huge backlog of books.
Used to play drums, but moving around the country and continent killed that. Can't take a drum kit anywhere.
I've got lazy with exercise, but I used to be REALLY into olympic weightlifting. Competed regularly on the amateur level. Now I don't even run. I need to fix that or I'll get fat and ill.

My work is pretty much my main hobby, science is all consuming. I spend hours reading for work and around my work. My twitter is exclusively devoted to science. It's enjoyable, but sometimes I need a break. Had a whole weekend off last week and just played Apex Legends for hours. Was so satisfying!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
May sound a bit narcissistic but... I am my own hobby. I love to improve myself in every aspect. Body (gym and nutrition) and mind (reading). Becoming a better and smarter person every single day.

Duellist

Listening to music, playing drums, guitar(not so much anymore), rebuilding a 1984 foxbody mustang 5.0l with my son, Smoking meat. Starting to get back to exercising again too.

Last edited:
I play non-video games. Miniature games, board games, card games, whatever. I have an autistic-like obsession with gaming, and thank god. If I had to rely on just video games for my gaming needs, I would've quit a long, long time ago.

It's amazing to me that with all the variety and value of gaming out there that video games are so narrowly created and largely unpleasant, if not outright hostile to gamers. I mean, you get daily login and weekly challenges designed to make you come back to the same (shitty) game every day by targeting a short circuit in your decision making ability. You never see that in board games. Monopoly never goes, "hey come back and I'll give you you a gold race car token... eventually". I can't blame anybody for being sick of that crap.

Fbh

Cooking baking and all that stuff. I'm always trying out new recipes and learning to make new stuff (currently learning how to make Dumplings)
Reading. Usually books, sometimes manga
When there's good weather (which where I live is like.... 2 months at most on a good year) I like Hiking and Fishing

Oh and me and some friends/acquaintances like to play board games but for everyone to have the time to get together is rare so it ends up being like once a month.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Playing guitar, bass, making podcasts, making playlists, everything music related.

Music is an even bigger hobby than gaming to me nowadays. :)

Also, learning languages is a lot of fun. And I also love to edit videos.

Last edited:
cooking, gardening, fishing, hiking, sports(tennis, soccer, golf), gym, my family, DIY projects, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and diet, reading/audio books, mycology, following national sports teams,

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
I struggle to find hobbies ever since my original hobby (animation) became my work. I guess just walking in the park can also be considered a hobby.

Dark Star

playing guitar, drums, piano, etc. production beats/sound design. creating and listening to music in general is my biggest hobby - i love amps, speakers, subwoofers, etc it's an addictive hobby (and an expensive one)

gym, hiking, skateboarding - anything outdoors is fun

i've recently got into guns (i live in texas) and i'm seriously considering buying a glock or a revolver, getting my license to carry, and heading to the shooting range for some target practice.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Im burnt of playing games and watching tv shows I wanna spend time doing something fun exciting and time consuming other than those above.

so gaf what is your daily hobbies beside those things mentioned ?

Arguing with people I disagree with online.

Traianvs

I do meditation and trekking. Usually at the same time since I live in a place with a few and mostly isolated places to walk

Drake

Walking is actually a good one. I started doing this last summer at night. I live in a pretty big development in the suburbs and would put a bunch of audio books on my phone and just walk. It was awesome. I listened to the entire HP Lovecraft collection and started the Lord of the Rings on audiobook. Really, this is the only way I can listen to audio books without losing focus. I'm actually looking forward to doing this again when the weather is nice.

Love insects, reptiles, all other small invertebrates, DIY projects, cooking, baking, knife sharpening, biking, fishing, gardening, playing guitar, drawing/painting. These are the "micro" hobbies because i expend more focus on them.

My "macro" hobbies include napping, kicking back and chilling to youtube and/or music/movies/shows/etc. These are the zone out activities.

And then there are the "dark arts" which are somewhere in between.

Last edited:

Mohonky

RC cars, planes, helicopters & FPV racing and long distance

This man knows whats up.

Me FPV'ing a Durafly Slowpoke while my mates follow and record with their freestyle quads

a11662703-205-3.jpg

a11662701-92-2.jpg

Last edited:

John Blade

My other hobbies is collecting UMPC on and off. Here is my latest update pics I took from my collection. I just sold off my IBM PC-110 recently which make this as recent of what I collect.
hz380eisudd11.jpg

List of UMPC below.

• GPD WIN 1 (with hand grip and cooling mod)
  • GPD WIN 2
  • MR-1 General Dynamics (IX750)
  • Sony VAIO VGN-U71P (2 pcs and a docking station)
  • Sony VAIO PCG-U1 (2 pcs)
  • Sony VAIO PCG-U3
  • Toshiba Libretto U100 (2 pcs)
  • Samsung Q1 Ultra (3 pcs)
  • Toshiba Libretto W100
  • Fujitsu Life Book U810 (2 pcs and docking stations)
  • Sony Vaio C1 series (Picture Book) (3 version: PCG-C1VN, PCG-C1MR/BP, & PCG-C1MSX)
  • Samsung Q1b
  • Sony Vaio UX Micro PC (VGN UX380CN and docking station)
  • OQO Model 02 (and docking station)
  • Kohjinsha DZ
  • Sony Vaio GT3/K

Nelsin

Banned
Great hobby guys I love them all.

I wanna start cooking but I don't know where to start or what to buy any recommendations ?

Last edited:
I love to go jogging, riding my bike or take a walk around the city with my headphones on in order to get some inspiration for art, design drawing and/or writing.

The most consistent are working out and reading. Things done multiple times a week.

Followed up by hunting/fishing. Really looking forward to fishing when it warms up. Fresh fish and brews.

Last edited:

Traianvs

Great hobby guys I love them all.

I wanna start cooking but I don't know where to start or what to buy any recommendations ?

While I find his way of talking sleep inducing, this is actually a very good tutorial that guides you in a simple recipe (stir fry) while giving you lots of small suggestions that you'll be able to apply to your future cooking.
Stir fry is also a very "make your own" dish, meaning that you can add or remove ingredients to your liking... it's more like a way of cooking than an actual recipe.

Start small, start easy, follow the recipe and HAVE FUN. There's a great satisfaction in eating something that you cooked starting with simple not processed ingredients. And it's much healtier

manner

Neo Member
Apart from gaming, I play football--although football is more than a hobby to me: I play competitively, and spend quite a bit of money and time.

bitbydeath

Writing, hoping to finish the first draft of my first novel by June. Currently tracking to finish it in early May so I’ve got some fat there to try avoid bleeding over.

Mohonky

Okay. I gotta add this to my list in the future.
Im a little surprised more gamer peeps arent into it as its similar...just with real life consequences lol.

Planes and quads are surprisingly cheap, first setup is always most expensive as you need a radio, goggles, batteries, charger etc but after that its not an expensive hobby.

Radio manufacturers are even realising a lot of us want more 'game controller' like radios for ergonomics.

I use this for my Planes and Quads;

frsky-frs-frsky-taranis-x-lite-radio-black-colour.jpg

Also chase footage from mates quad;

Headphone volune warning

Mr Hyde

Working out, reading books and writing are the usual suspects when I´m not in the mood for playing games. I used to be into producing hiphop music and rapping but after more than a decade of doing it my passion faded and I decided to quit my musical career.

appaws

Banned
Reading.

Organic gardening, my heirloom watermelons are LEGENDARY, at least to one town in rural Kentucky.

Guns. (I shoot competition. USPSA, IPSC, 3-Gun.)

The biggest one in the last year or two has been photography. I love it. It gets me out, especially since I love doing landscapes around Kentucky. I've also done some stuff with local sporting events and schools. People are so happy to get some good actions shots of their kids. Nobody has a decent camera anymore in this era of camera phones! I also really like the post-processing, tinkering around in Lightroom and Photoshop.

lock2k

Banned
Besides the hobbies I mentioned before I recently got back to cross stitching. I love pixel art and it makes me really calm. I started a sort of canvas that will have lots of my daughter's fave characters. first one is unikitty and others will follow.

Winter John

Gold Member
Fishing and drinking mostly. I tried golf a few weeks back but you gotta walk and drink at the same time which ain't no good. Sometimes I like playing a little guitar and singing to the dog while I'm drinking. I don't think he appreciates it too much though.

Cardio exercise, listening to podcasts (mainly when I'm at work), and collecting vintage computers.

I just started on the vintage computers one. So far, I own a Toshiba laptop from what I can tell was from around 1998 or 1999. Had Windows 2000 loaded on it when I got it.

Top Bottom