• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What other PC games support 21:9 inside 16:9 with aspect control like God of War?

TrackZ

In my home theater setup, being able to set aspect ratio to 21:9 and have the game render inside the 16:9 is just killer with a scope screen and a projector that has installation mode lens memory (I have a JVC NX7). I wish this type of ultra wide support was more pervasive.

Anyone know other games that works like God of War does with such simple settings change of aspect ratio?

I wish you could set a quick mode like this on consoles too for that matter and the game/system would adjust the rendering.

In my home theater setup, being able to set aspect ratio to 21:9 and have the game render inside the 16:9 is just killer with a scope screen and a projector that has installation mode lens memory (I have a JVC NX7). I wish this type of ultra wide support was more pervasive.

Anyone know other games that works like God of War does with such simple settings change of aspect ratio?

I wish you could set a quick mode like this on consoles too for that matter and the game/system would adjust the rendering.
Can't you just set a 21:9 res?

TrackZ

I need to experiment some more with custom resolutions, but the projector is not 21:9. It's 16:9. Trying to make custom resolutions seemed to come with limitation, like not being able to have HDR engage.

It's simplest to render the game as 21:9 in the 16:9 frame and toggle an aspect control in game (like GoW has) and then zoom the projector to have it fill the 2.35:1 screen.

This is how I use it with ultra-wide screen movies as well, which are scope inside a 16:9 resolution frame.

SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo actually trying in GoW was really incredible for playing in a theater room. You get the same vertical information but like 35% more field of width. Minor reduction in resolution. Doing it with aspect ratio control allowed use of HDR.

nikos

I'd imagine you could set your resolution to something like 3840x1600 (same amount of horizontal pixels as 4K, but 21:9) and contain it within a 16:9 frame via Nvidia Control Panel. From there, any game that supports 21:9 should display correctly.

With 21:9 and 32:9 monitors, I have the opposite issue with games that don't support them. I honestly hope 16:9 becomes a thing of the past one day, just like 4:3 did.

GHG

Gold Member
Nvidia control panel 👍

Yep, custom resolutions:

oXhgKv1.png

Kenpachii

Funny enough the 21:9 in god of war options is actually not 21:9 its smaller.

Gotta set the resolution for real 21:9.

I'd imagine you could set your resolution to something like 3840x1600 (same amount of horizontal pixels as 4K, but 21:9) and contain it within a 16:9 frame via Nvidia Control Panel. From there, any game that supports 21:9 should display correctly.

With 21:9 and 32:9 monitors, I have the opposite issue with games that don't support them. I honestly hope 16:9 becomes a thing of the past one day, just like 4:3 did.

After using my 21:9 screen for about 8 months now, 16:9 straight up feels outdated, i will never go back to 16:9.

Last edited:

TrackZ

Funny enough the 21:9 in god of war options is actually not 21:9 its smaller.

Gotta set the resolution for real 21:9.

After using my 21:9 screen for about 8 months now, 16:9 straight up feels outdated, i will never go back to 16:9.

Yeah, after seeing GoW zoomed up in scope and then going back to 16:9, it immediately felt constrained.

Top Bottom