• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What "screamer" moment or cheap scare in a game got you the worst?

I hate cheap scares. they are simply cheap and insult my intelligence.

but as far a cheap scares go, I believe it's best to simply wear a Jason mask and hide in the bushes. then when someone walks by jump out and yell "BOO!!"

Not exactly a scream moment but those moments in the game where I shit myself. Example:

pNrPU.jpg

A nice screamer moment related to those things would be
when you find out they can stretch their arms quite a long distance

In MGS3 'the end'

Depending on skill, he may be a clever bastard and somehow manage to sneak behind Snake whose trying to look ahead in first person view. He's just a frail old man who tries to tranquillize players, yet that split-second of role-reversal is horrible, hunter verses hunted. He doesn't kill, instead sending Snake back about a mile to jail.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
in RE4 try shoot fishes in the lake right before getting on the boat(right before lake monster boss fight) and see what happens :D

hao chi

Condemned 2 in the hotel. I was checking a medicine cabinet in one of the bathrooms, grabbed the health kit, and when I closed the door I see a reflection of a drug addict standing right behind me.

That was the first and only time a game has made me scream since I played one of the SNES versions of Doom as a kid (AKA: I haven't touched a lot of the scarier games out there).

Unfortunately I knew something would happen with the bathtub in Eternal Darkness, and watched the locker scene from the first Condemned, so neither of those really surprised me.

Condemned:
'Corpse' in the locker
Resident Evil 4:
Burning oven dude
Manhunt:
Whenever Pigsy caught me
The bit in the third or so level, where you're walking towards a nondescript small staircase and door, and a thug jumps out of the doorway and starts chasing you.

Play Manhunt.

Christian

There is a part in the first F.E.A.R where
Your in a vent, and Alma comes crawling at you super fast............It didn't help that even in videogames I get that claustrophobic feeling.

Oh, criminy, I came to post this. It was awful. F.E.A.R. seriously had several parts that got me, but this was definitely the best/worst. Had to pause the game and go change my pants, then do something else for a bit to collect my courage.

daviyoung

Banned
Oceanside Hotel in Vampire: Bloodlines had some nice subtle jump moments, especially since it was just one quest in an otherwise huge game.

KAOz

Short bus special
Resident Evil 1: Dog scare. Classic.

REmake: The reverse dog scare! JESUS CHRIST! Fuck you Capcom for being so clever with this one. Fuck you. :,(

Petrichor

Bioshock:

In Hepheastus. You enter a boiler room with corpses at the end of the hallway. You walk forward and the lights suddenly go off. Once they come back on, you walk forward again and the lights turn off again. When they come back on, the second you move the corpses at the end of the hallway jump up screaming at you. HNNNNGH.

Zertez

Condemned had several creepy parts, but the silence and then tripping over a bucket or another object scared me as much as the scripted parts.

Clock Tower 2's Shannon creeps me out every time. When the game came out, I decided to play the game only at night with all the lights turned off to make it scarier. The original scissor man was creepy, but Shannon's age and creepy laugh took it to another level. The game was pretty quiet and slow at times, then just when you get a little comfortable out pops that creepy girl.

Resident Evil 1: Dog scare. Classic.

REmake: The reverse dog scare! JESUS CHRIST! Fuck you Capcom for being so clever with this one. Fuck you. :,(

I'll add going blind into the game.. the first fucking crimson head.. that was scarier lmao.. the speed of the thing standing up and running at you lol.. that my friend was glorious and terrifying at the same time

"spoilers if noone has played it"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibD0qVtThAk 5.50 in you'll get what i mean

Robot Pants

Two immediately come to mind
1. Half-Life 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS031UVXBAs&t=7m22s

and.....

Aliens vs Predator (original on pc): When you shoot open alien eggs and you lose track of the face huggers running around on the ground and then BAM! GRABBING RIGHT ONTO YOUR SCREEN INSTANT DEATH HORRIFYING NOISE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8xXoSBmlE

The first time this happened to me I was literally frozen for a couple of seconds and was shivering. I had to stop playing for a bit.

Hayeya

Banned
Silent hill1:
Babies at school, i dont know what they are and i dont care, everytime i hear one i begin trembling
The school and Hospital are one f***d up place,, in a matter of fact Silent Hill 1 is a personification of all my nightmares

Silent hill2:
Encounter with pyramid head
Hospital (again)

Silent hill3:
I entered this room with big mirror, my brother in real life calls me so i leave heather standing there, when i returned to continue playing, i noticed something,, heather in the mirror was staring at me and all f***d up things began happening, and i was playing at 2 am, this will never be forgotten

Fatal frame 3: i used to play this at midnight because i love to experience horror games the way they are meant to be experienced,,, the problem with this game is that the real life apartment of the heroin is scarier than the dreams, i mean everytime the heroin wakes up, the apartment became more and more devilish, this is the first game ever that forced me to stop playing and to take a break because of scares.

Resident Evil1:
Dog scene
Zombie from closet
every encounter with the hunters
The mansion music is so tense that it is frighting in itself

Slair

There was a part in Half Life 2, the laundry room in nova prospekt, that if you followed the exact route from the early e3 demo, a route they used to progress, you ended up in an area with a black zombie headcrab launcher behind you.

Cartman86

Banned
The ones that always work for me are the scary moments that occur during events you perform often. Like climbing down the ladder in FEAR or taking pictures of corpses in Condemned.

Silent Hill 3. In a room with mannequin parts and a full torso and head just sitting there. I walk away to another part of the room, hear a thud then a loud scream (fuuuuuuuu), go back to the torso and its head is on the floor (FUUUUUUUU)

Dude.... duuuude.... I'm trying to forget that.

Fuck, that, shit.....

The thing that makes it even more special is "spoiler"
if you try to burn the fucker the first time you pass him he stands up anyhow with 2 other zombies in that corridor lol.. awesome bit of messing with the player

Scanna

i know it is RE inspired, kind of like the dog scene, but i have to say the velociraptor-through-the-window-jumps-directly-into-regina scene in dino crisis

Recent one in Corpse Party.

Examining the bookshelf the second time.

Why hello, Sadako.
This made me turn off the PSP. :(

Aside that, the infamous bathtub scene from Eternal Darkness is the first thing that came to mind. In this case the OP nails it, not the first post. :p

A buddy of mine started playing Dead Space 1 about a year ago.

He got to the bathroom really early in the game, the one where the lights go out when you go into it.

He turned it off right there and never went back.

Morue

Those which come to mind :

-bathroom in Silent Hill 2, when you knock at the door and then, all of a sudden, there's this big sound.
-mannequin room in Silent Hill 3. There's only one mannequin with a head in the room. Then when you're about to leave the room, you hear a scream and when you go check the mannequin, it's been decapitated.
-first encounter with a crimson head in REmake. Didn't expect it at all.
-this little room in fatal frame 2: you point your camera towards the window and there's this kid's head that appears. Almost got a heart attack with this one...

Came into the thread to say bathtub scene in ED. And yeah, the dogs in RE1 got me as well. Also I can't remember which version of RE1 (could be dc or remake) it's in but theres a bit where a corridor you think is clear has a zombie placed so you run into them point blank at a camera change.

Another one I remember is all the zombie hands busting through the boarded up windows of the police station in RE2. Again, it was after clearing the corridor so it catches you off guard.

I was actually more scared when something hits the window in the same corridor the dogs would later crash into in Resident Evil Remake. It happens when you cross the room for the first time. It's a small moment and even though I now exactly that it's coming, it get's me almost every time.

Ambitious

1) The
T-Rex in the museum
in Arkham City. Not that bad, but he got me.

2) The ghost hotel in Vampire: Bloodlines.
These fucking vases. "It's gonna explode like the others.. right now.. now.. and... well, seems that one won't. Phew." BOOOM *fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu*

Those which come to mind :

-bathroom in Silent Hill 2, when you knock at the door and then, all of a sudden, there's this big sound.
-mannequin room in Silent Hill 3. There's only one mannequin with a head in the room. Then when you're about to leave the room, you hear a scream and when you go check the mannequin, it's been decapitated.
-first encounter with a crimson head in REmake. Didn't expect it at all.
-this little room in fatal frame 2: you point your camera towards the window and there's this kid's head that appears. Almost got a heart attack with this one...

You have an excellent taste in the genre..

I have another, Siren the first time you sight jack

hiding...thinking you where safe.. you hear their messed up voices talking to themselves... Then you see they are going to open the cupboard etc you are hiding in.... its not really screamer... more like: ohh no... ohhh fuck no... oh shit... noooooooo lol

Haunted

Cheap scares haven't gotten to me for a good few years now, but RE and RE 2 had a few good ones (because I was the right age at that time).

But I suspect that it's going to get worse from here on out as I'm nearing thirty. :lol

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it's not cheap, because it's one of the smartest scares in any game, but the hospital elevator in silent hill 1 terrified me

also in thief
I DID NOT KNOW THAT ZOMBIES COULD COME BACK TO LIFE IF YOU GOT TOO CLOSE :'(

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Licker in the police station interrogation room. You knew it was going to happen but they troll you when the first time you go in there, nothing happens.

Dino Crisis - the T-Rex in the office window and the velociraptor that drops through the air vents (if memory serves?). I was utterly terrified when the T-Rex scene first happened.

kyubajin

Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the water part. I've never ever have been so scared in my life.

As a matter of fact, the whole game was so terrifying that it was the first time with any game where I had to stop playing after prolonged sessions in order to get my cool back. Horror game of the generation.

It ought to be easily something from Resident evil rebirth, mostly in the first part of it.

Also that bit in RE4 with those two weird monsters with their eyes seales was somehow creepy.

Dmented

Banned
Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the water part. I've never ever have been so scared in my life.

As a matter of fact, the whole game was so terrifying that it was the first time with any game where I had to stop playing after prolonged sessions in order to get my cool back. Horror game of the generation.

Yes, and the Dear Esther team who make some amazing atmospheres may be working on the new one with them! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I'll need to buy some new undies.

Almost none of FEAR was scary, but they did get me once and it was CHEAP.

There's a part where you are climbing a ladder, which you do over and over all the time, only this time when you get to to top as your eyes crest the floor little girl Alma is looking strait at you an inch away from your face. as if she's laying down right at the top of the ladder.

Freaked me right the fuck out and made me scramble the controls trying to jump off the ladder.

This!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7HA7Y89XI

Top Bottom