• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What "screamer" moment or cheap scare in a game got you the worst?

BD1

Banned
I'm going with the original: dog jumping through window - resident evil.

Man, I don't think I even turned on my Playstation again for a week.

Then there is the redux in REmake. When I first entered that hallway I was puckered up waiting for it to happen again, but then they totally pulled a head fake, lured me into a false sense of security and got me AGAIN. I thought that was a clever little piece of game design.

sp3000

There's a bit in F.E.A.R. where you're walking down this corridor and suddenly a dead body shoots through these glass windows to the left of you. It was just so unexpected.

This was ridiculous. I remember it more than any of the others because the entire level has no enemies in it and is almost totally quiet.

the chris

When playing Fatal Frame 2 at 1am in the dark with my girlfriend at the time sleeping next to me I came across an arm dangling on a window, I decided to switch to the first-person camera view to get a better look at it. The arm then fell to the ground and a ghost popped out of the ceiling right in front of me.

Here is a video of the ghost I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBOWL4lJvE

I actually yelled out loud and woke my girlfriend up

Persona7

Banned
There was something in Silent Hill that scared me pretty bad, I don't remember what it was though.

The bathtub scene did get me as well.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

THAT FUCKING IRON MAIDEN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NqpOJw7XT8
What's scarier is what happens to you if you walk inside of it after it swings open...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVUOfM3WPU&t=8m44s
I follow this guy's LP videos and he very rarely gets scared, possibly because he's played a lot of horror games. When he did Amnesia he mostly ran in the dark, joking around and talking about random crap, but the iron maiden is one of the few things that got him.
And then he walked inside anyway lol

AcciDante

FEAR got me a number of times. I remember walking through a bunch of cubicles and Alma just came sprinting out on all fours. You know it's a good scare when you unload your gun at her!

Doom3....the part where you are near an exposed elevator shaft and
a ghost voice says "PSST....OVER HERE" and once you get near the elevator all these demons teleport out in your face

Okay I'm gonna go super old school and say the first time I ever jumped/got scared in a video game was when the motherfucking wall master grabbed me out of nowhere in the first Legend of Zelda. Freaked me the hell out when I was a kid.

Romir

I'm still recovering from the RE1 dog jumping through the window.

Other than that F.E.A.R. has multiple honorable mentions.

When playing Fatal Frame 2 at 1am in the dark with my girlfriend at the time sleeping next to me I came across an arm dangling on a window, I decided to switch to the first-person camera view to get a better look at it. The arm then fell to the ground and a ghost popped out of the ceiling right in front of me.

Here is a video of the ghost I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBOWL4lJvE

I actually yelled out loud and woke my girlfriend up

Pretty much this entire thing was awful. I don't know if I would call it "cheap scares" but I had trouble sleeping after this (Fatal Frame 3):

http://youtu.be/sjOnr-48fgw

Came to post these. And The bloody mirror gets an honorable mention.

The M.O.B

There is a part in the first F.E.A.R where
Your in a vent, and Alma comes crawling at you super fast............It didn't help that even in videogames I get that claustrophobic feeling.

STG!

I'm going with the original: dog jumping through window - resident evil.

Incredibly memorable, when I played the game originally my friend jumped back so hard at this scene he hit his head on the window sill. Funny as hell.

RE is a classic.

I don't remember the name of the game. It was a game on the C64 and it took place on a spaceship and there were aliens. Anyways, it was a sidescrolling 2D game (but not a platformer). At one point you are walking down a hallway and all of a sudden out of nowhere the alien pops up with a loud musical burst.

If I remember the name I'll post it. Old game (obviously) but it was my first "oh shit, that scared me!" experience in a video game.

LowParry

Not exactly a scream moment but those moments in the game where I shit myself. Example:

pNrPU.jpg

Loki

Count of Concision
RE2 had so many great ones, but these two were the best imo:

1) When you're outside on some scaffolding with only one way to go, and you pass a camera pointed at you. You round the corner and there's a bank of computer screens showing the corridor you just came from. You see that huge monster enemy (the huge humanoid) walking where you just walked, and realize that he's about to turn the corner and there's no way to escape. Terrifying.

2) When you're in the hallway outside the library, and the giant humanoid is chasing after you and you're trying to fight to escape, and you juuuust make it inside the library. Whew, safe! Or so you thought. The thing BUSTS THROUGH THE WALL OF THE ROOM, breaking all the conventions of physics and gameplay theretofore established in the series and in your psyche. Kill me.

Damn, Resident Evil 2 was brilliant. I remember it like it was yesterday.

NeoUltima

Was playing MGS4 a week ago, during the L. Octopus fight. Not a particularly 'scary' battle normally sure.

Anyway, I had my headphones on full blast and she came crashing through a window I was standing next too. Scared the shit out of me. I thought she was camouflaged in another room. Totally unexpected and loud as hell, but quite the thrill.

It was honestly the biggest 'o shit' scare I go out of a game since RE2.

RE moments already posted nail it.

Also: not particularly scary, but one that was most memorable for me was in Fatal Frame 1 - you walk through a dark hallway you've been through several times before that gives you a view of both the 1st and 2nd floors of the house - and you hear this very faint Japanese koto music being played.

Then with a loud BANG it stops, and the lights go out on the 2nd floor - when you then realize that there was originally a silhouette of a ghost playing the koto there.

That gave me chills - atmospherically it was really well executed.

RE1: Dog jumps through window
RE2: Zombie hands appear from boarded windows, Mr.X comes through a friggin wall.
RE3: Nemesis jumps through window.

Those got me good.

_Isaac

Another good one is in Bioshock when you were in the doctor's office or something and the game lures you over to a safe or something on the wall. I forget. Anyway, as soon as you turn around a splicer is standing right there. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

alf717

Most of the good ones are taken so I'm going with Silent Hill 2 when your in the prison and you hear that loud bang in the bathroom. The part when the flash light goes out and you change the battery was creepy to.

Top Bottom